PDA

View Full Version : E6 and Pathfinder Mythic Adventures?

Mr Adventurer
2014-11-16, 08:18 AM
Hi all. So, just from reading the Mythic Adventures stuff I'm a fan of it because it seems to add a rules framework which can model a little better the kind of high fantasy stories that we are often aiming for when we play D&D. As well, I was impressed with the idea of E6 when it came out and it seems to have gained some worthwhile traction because people are still talking about it and using it today!

So my question is, how would running E6 with Mythic Adventures added in work out? Has anyone done this? What are the implications?

GreyBlack
2014-11-16, 09:10 AM
Hi all. So, just from reading the Mythic Adventures stuff I'm a fan of it because it seems to add a rules framework which can model a little better the kind of high fantasy stories that we are often aiming for when we play D&D. As well, I was impressed with the idea of E6 when it came out and it seems to have gained some worthwhile traction because people are still talking about it and using it today!

So my question is, how would running E6 with Mythic Adventures added in work out? Has anyone done this? What are the implications?

So, in my interpretation of E6, we can actually have a more gritty fantasy world to play in. Mythic, however, adds a level of unknown to the world, almost occult.

I would almost interpret it as, once you hit Mythic levels, you're playing in the real world as one of those heroes from myth: your fighter becomes Hercules, your wizard becomes Merlin, your rogue becomes Prometheus (I say that because he stole fire from the gods, and can't think of a good analogue to Hercules and Merlin). To my mind, that's how it would feel, becoming that mythic warrior in an otherwise ordinary world.

thorr-kan
2014-11-18, 02:24 PM
When I first came across E6, I puttered around with some way to add epic and demigod abilities. Reading over Mythic Adventures, I think this would work better than what I came up with.

Mr Adventurer
2014-11-18, 02:37 PM
So, in my interpretation of E6, we can actually have a more gritty fantasy world to play in. Mythic, however, adds a level of unknown to the world, almost occult.

I would almost interpret it as, once you hit Mythic levels, you're playing in the real world as one of those heroes from myth: your fighter becomes Hercules, your wizard becomes Merlin, your rogue becomes Prometheus (I say that because he stole fire from the gods, and can't think of a good analogue to Hercules and Merlin). To my mind, that's how it would feel, becoming that mythic warrior in an otherwise ordinary world.
When I first came across E6, I puttered around with some way to add epic and demigod abilities. Reading over Mythic Adventures, I think this would work better than what I came up with.

Yeah, this is what I'm coming away with! Exactly the kind of thing that I'd want to use E6 to emulate in the first place.

One of the big things that I like (intellectually at least, having never run it) is that with E6 you can use out-of-the-book monsters as their legendary archetypes. A manticore can be THE Manticore - a deadly threat for almost any group of adventurers and able to terrorise the land around it. And so on. Mythic would let you make that more explicit, and also add those really legendary powers.

Has anyone actually done this?

thorr-kan
2014-11-26, 01:53 PM
Has anyone actually done this?
I have not, though I vaguely remember somebody playtesting it. But I can't find any references.