PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Is Druid blasting (not summoned blaster) a feasible concept?

ben-zayb
2014-11-16, 02:36 PM
Exactly as the title says, I'm looking for ideas on how to turn a druid into a respectable spell-blaster. The fluff that I'm going for is of a druid simply channelling the fury of nature to destroy his enemies. There are plenty of debuff, buff, and BFC spells that are obviously available in the Druid spell list, but the only potent blasting spells that I know of are Bombardment and Deadfall, both of which are only available by 15th level. Of course, summoning monsters can fulfill plenty of these roles, including blasting, but that doesn't really fit the fluff that I am aiming for. I am currently looking at Stormcaster and enjoying the fluff, but I'm open to plenty more themes.

So playground... any ideas?

Troacctid
2014-11-16, 02:40 PM
Stormcaster is my first instinct as well. It's great for blasting, fits the concept perfectly, and Druids easily qualify.

Ask your DM if you can take the Pathfinder option of trading your animal companion for access to a Cleric domain. That would give you the spells you need.

Mato
2014-11-16, 03:19 PM
Just a few that I know of, most of them are damage of time effects.

1st
Sandblast, 1d6 & stuns.

2nd
Splinterbolt, the druid's answer to scorching ray.
Creeping cold, total 6d6 damage, 21d6 if extended.

3rd
Call lightning, it's as powerful eldritch blast when you get it.

4th
Arc of lightning, normal cld6 but can hit multiple monsters.
Boreal Wind, aim at a corner to deal several d4s for several rounds.
Greater creeping cold, up to to 78d6 over twelve rounds when extended.

5th
Call lightning storm, as call lightning but 5d6/5d10 instead.

6th
Cometfall, lower level version of bombardment, up to 20d6 and trip.
Fire seeds, the trap option deals 8d6+160 as a free action.
Haze of smoldering stone, you would expect 11d6 damage but it deals 12d6 and then 15d6 if cast again.

eggynack
2014-11-16, 03:29 PM
I wouldn't recommend putting all of your eggs in the blasting basket, but druids get some respectable blasting spells on their list. As a quick set, you've got produce flame, splinterbolt (SpC, 203), call lightning, hammer of righteousness (BoED, 100), ice lance (SpC, 119), blast of sand (Sand, 112), boreal wind (Frost, 89), vortex of teeth (SpC, 232), ice flowers (SpC, 119), fire seeds, and then we're in the general territory of the spells you listed.

If you want a particular build around, I'd probably recommend call lightning. Combine it with swift concentration for an extra use/round, and some source of rain, and you've got good damage. Probably not the best plan, but it's decent enough. You'd be better off just preparing a couple of spells on that list about though, and not pushing it too far. Druids can blast, definitely, but they don't take to it as a concept as well as some.

Chronos
2014-11-16, 07:23 PM
Don't forget about Control Winds, the best blasting spell (from any list) in Core.

eggynack
2014-11-16, 08:57 PM
Don't forget about Control Winds, the best blasting spell (from any list) in Core.
Sure, though it's really a defensive/BFC/natural disaster spell that just happens to blast when you push it far enough. On another note, I'd remove call lightning storm and greater creeping cold from the Mato list. Just not really worth the increased slot cost. Greater creeping cold especially requires that you be in a situation where a fight is going to last for seven or more rounds before it's viable. Not an everyday situation.

ben-zayb
2014-11-16, 09:45 PM
Hmm lot of fun spells, thanks a lot for the ideas but I worry that it may not hold water with its fellow members, a Swift Hunter and a Warblade, in terms of what it sets out to do (blasting). Course the extra effects in addition to damage may offset that...

As for PrCs, any other recommendations sans Stormcaster? I don't plan to improve Wild Shape or Animal Companions anyway, if that matters.

Urpriest
2014-11-16, 10:10 PM
I know it's summoning, but calling up a bunch of Storm Elementals feels a lot like blasting even if it uses different mechanics.

eggynack
2014-11-16, 10:12 PM
I know it's summoning, but calling up a bunch of Storm Elementals feels a lot like blasting even if it uses different mechanics.
Rashemi elemental summoning is good along the same lines.

Jeff the Green
2014-11-16, 11:26 PM
Rashemi elemental summoning is good along the same lines.

And, since storm elementals have the air subtype, you can combine the two.

eggynack
2014-11-16, 11:30 PM
And, since storm elementals have the air subtype, you can combine the two.
It's a bit on the iffy side, as it's not clear whether the feat is referring to air elementals the subtype, or air elementals the specific creature name. The way I figure it, the former interpretation would open lots of elemental themed cans of worms, like summoning and becoming elementals of all varieties.

DMVerdandi
2014-11-16, 11:39 PM
I would use reserve feats.
Save one spell, blast all day, or use all spells and blast all day.
Save your slots for utility and spontaneous summoning. Take an elemental reserve feat, heighten spell, and voila.

The attack stays relevant, usually has the same attack power as an eldritch blast, and an alternate effect.