PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Finding a level balance; A fun story struggling to fit a DM ruling

Nishant
2014-11-16, 02:42 PM
So, my DM is starting a homebrew campaign. We will decide the level on the campaign based on backstory, adventures, and such of the characters. We can use pre-existing characters to tie things together in a grand arc, or create a new one. In my case, I chose the latter.

So the issue of course is finding out my characters level, using some of my DM's rulings, such as replacing skills for others for a cultural or character design reason- If you can make an arguement for it, and it's accepted, it goes.

So the story goes, cliffnote version, and jumping to the problem, is that my character is a the youngest son of a chief leader in a psuedo-tribal community that specializes in exorcisms and undead hunting, as well as being a general hunter-gatherer society. He lacks much off the divine or arcane powers that his tribemen do, so he takes the path of a warrior, as well as taking lessons in the art of curse breaking and exorcism (Which is reflected in some skill substitutions.)

Eventually, he attempts to challenge a ghost that has been terrorizing their village since before they even settled there.(They bound it to a certain area, away from the homes.) When he gets there though, he finds that spirit itself isn't the problem, but a curses laid upon it. After taking time to make it known that he wasn't a threat, he begins to work on a seal to cleanse her. After some time (Pegging around 6-9 months, even) he successfully frees the spirit, allowing it to ascend.

That's the part that causes the most issues; My character, Classwise, is a barbarian/warblade. The question is, how would he manage to complete the spell/ritual, and how long would it take? It should be noted that he would have a little tribal support with materials and maybe one or two assistants, but the zone where they keep her pretty much ground no one wants to cross into. I was allowed to take knowledge arcana and spellcraft(The latter only if needed) to assist in it storyline wise, but this turned out really weird. My DM liked it, and has encouraged me to work at it, but we're having issues crunching the numbers.

EDIT: I should mention what the curse did. It was executed in a few parts. The girl was an innocent, but was murdered during the hex to keep her spirit earthbound. After that, the spirit was laid with a curse to make her extremely hostile, volitile, and powerful. This set was complete, but it backfired; the intent was to use this place as a base, with the spirit as a guard, but she still viewed her murderer as a 'threat', and killed her for obvious reasons. Once my character affirmed himself as 'neutral' or even friendly, he didn't have anything to fear from her.

Jeff the Green
2014-11-16, 02:45 PM
This is exactly the sort of situation incantations (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/incantations.htm) were meant for. Knowledge (religion) might be mor appropriate than (arcana)

Nishant
2014-11-16, 02:49 PM
Alright. I can work that in :) Thank you

Nishant
2014-11-16, 03:01 PM
I suppose now I have to figure out how to make the incantation, as that would pass over into play whether it's used or not..

So, Necromancy, requires Knowledge (Religion)... Anybody have any ideas how to make this affable?

Gnome Alone
2014-11-16, 03:03 PM
My character, Classwise, is a barbarian/warblade

Show of hands: was anyone else's first thought, "Huh, that's a weird name for a barbarian"?

Nishant
2014-11-16, 03:08 PM
Show of hands: was anyone else's first thought, "Huh, that's a weird name for a barbarian"?

Haha. Sorry, havn't thought of a name yet, so I didn't put one down

Gnome Alone
2014-11-16, 04:24 PM
Haha. Sorry, havn't thought of a name yet, so I didn't put one down

I just meant that since Classwise was capitalized, I thought it was the guy's name for just a second. Cool backstory, btw.

Aegis013
2014-11-16, 04:50 PM
Well according to the Ghost entry in the MM1, "...ghosts can often be driven off or destroyed, they return again and again until they deal with the reason for their existence."

I'm strongly in agreement that exorcism falls into the domain of Knowledge: Religion. Curse breaking could fall into Arcane or Divine, so Religion is probably the way to go.

I'd say make the Incantation something like this maybe:
Calm the Restless
Effective Level: <Insert your game's starting level, or whatever would be reasonable>
Skill Check: Knowledge Religion DC 20 2 successes, Perform (Dance) DC 15 or Tumble DC 20 4 successes
Components: V, S, M, Focus, Special
Casting Time: 1 hour
Range: Close (25ft + 5ft/2 levels)
Target: One ghost/spirit
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless) (DC 10+Character level)
Spell Resistance: No

In order to perform this ritual you must first discover the target spirit's remaining attachment to this realm. The caster of this incantation converts this information into a tribalistic ritual dance to appease the spirits of the dead. Depending on the spirits particular case, various conditions may be required for his incantation to function (have your DM make one up), this may be a date important to the spirit, a location, a condition of the weather, etc.

In order to complete this ritual a focus is required - an item with a strong relation to the spirit's life. Flowers from their birthplace, an item of high sentimental value to the spirit, or similar (have your DM make one up). This must be lit aflame during the appeasement dance as a representation of the release of past grudges and attachments. Smoke rising from the burning item represents guiding the spirit to its true heavenly resting place.

If the caster can communicate with the spirit and gain the cooperation of the spirit or at least achieve friendly terms with the spirit, lower the Knowledge Religion DCs to 10.

Material component: ritual dyes used to intricately paint the caster's face and body with particular markings based on the target's spirit's remaining attachment to this realm worth at least 50gp.

Failure: If either of the Knowledge Religion checks are failed, or if any two consecutive Performance or Tumble checks are failed, the Incantation fails and backlashes. If the spirit is merely unwilling and passes the Will save, the incantation fails but does not backlash.

Backlash: The incantation backfires and the spirit becomes tormented rather than ascending - the only escape from the torment is to extinguish the life of the perpetrator of the failed incantation.

I mean, I didn't really follow the guidelines too closely, so just make sure your DM is happy with everything, but that might be a starting point.