PDA

View Full Version : Light Armor Counting as No Armor but is still Light Armor

Kevingway
2014-11-16, 03:47 PM
Whew. Alright, so I want to be a Swordsage and take Vow of Poverty (VoP sucks, I know, there are alternatives--this is roleplay).

Vow of Poverty doesn't allow the possession or otherwise wearing of armor. Swordsages get an AC benefit for wearing Light Armor.

Unarmed Swordsage doesn't "convert" the AC Bonus from Light Armor to no armor, so that isn't an alternative, but are there any possible ways to have my armor count as both "normal clothing" and armor for the sake of gaining both benefits?

Aegis013
2014-11-16, 03:52 PM
You could, instead of taking VoP (though Swordsage is probably one of the better classes to take it on if you're going to take it), ask your DM if you could have imaginary WBL... I don't remember who's idea it was, and I have a feeling that's not what it was called, but the concept is basically this:

You don't get items, or gold, you instead get points that would be equal to WBL, and you can use them to buy powers (benefits of items), as if they were WBL. So basically, it just refluffs the items into inward power. There could be some weird shenanigans with it, like selling back powers, or consumables, or the like, but it's a potential concept that could work for what you want, while fulfilling the RP goals of Vow of Poverty.

There's also just asking the DM to convert the AC Bonus on Swordsage. Most people (Edit: in my experience, on this forum) think the ability was just poorly edited and it was supposed to be light armor or no armor. Although I know you said that wasn't an option, but it's a much simpler solution than above, probably.

Kevingway
2014-11-16, 04:05 PM
Homebrew rules are off the table. It's more or less just an option that, if it exists, I'd like to figure out how to implement it--otherwise, I'll just not take VoP.

Aegis013
2014-11-16, 04:09 PM
Best of my knowledge there's nothing in the game that would let fulfill your goal here that would be sensible to bring to a game.

Troacctid
2014-11-16, 04:12 PM
On the upside, if your DM isn't willing to do commonsense fixes for obvious editing mistakes, at least you can enjoy your 6x skill points at 1st level.

heavyfuel
2014-11-16, 04:31 PM
On the upside, if your DM isn't willing to do commonsense fixes for obvious editing mistakes, at least you can enjoy your 6x skill points at 1st level.

Or really any of the countless exploits in the Dysfunctional RAW threads. Seriously, get Tower Shield proficiency and become invincible

Chronos
2014-11-16, 07:18 PM
Quoth Kevingway:

Unarmed Swordsage doesn't "convert" the AC Bonus from Light Armor to no armor, so that isn't an alternative,...
You say this as though there were rules for the unarmed swordsage. There aren't. All there is is a set of vague suggestions on houserules one might make to the swordsage. It's an adaptation, not a class variant. Thus, if your DM is allowing unarmed swordsage at all, he needs to decide how it works, and it would be most logical to decide that their AC bonus works unarmored.