PDA

View Full Version : War magic/Improved War Magic

Atmosk
2014-11-16, 05:53 PM
Is there a way to house rule these abilities to make them not suck without breaking the class outright?

Naanomi
2014-11-16, 06:00 PM
I'm sure there is, and it isn't completely worthless to add a longbow attack into an eldritch blast routine already

Atmosk
2014-11-16, 06:23 PM
Eldritch blast is not an Eldritch Knight cantrip. Eldritch blast is exclusive to warlocks and even if it wasn't splitting your attribute points into STR/DEX, CHA and INT causes more problems then it solves.

Pramxnim
2014-11-16, 06:33 PM
I think War Magic is fine as it is. You cannot add ability score modifiers to cantrip damage (with the exception of Eldritch Blast), but cantrips scale to be the rough equivalent of weapon attacks in the same tier of play. When you get War Magic, you're essentially trading 4 damage (from Str or Dex mod being applied to your Extra Weapon Attack) for a die of damage depending on what cantrip you're using.

Example:
Grog is a level 7 Eldritch Knight wielding a Greatsword. Grog can choose to either:

Use the Attack action on his turn to make 2 attacks that deal 2d6+4 Slashing damage
Cast a cantrip (e.g. Fire Bolt) to deal 2d10 Fire damage, then as a bonus action make a weapon attack that does 2d6+4 Slashing damage.

Now, obviously in the above example, War Magic is a weaker choice than just swinging twice with the Greatsword, but it's an option that allows you to attack enemies you normally cannot reach. It also provides a slight AOE option with Acid Splash, a way to disengage with Shocking Grasp, or set up a defense against numerous weaker enemies with Blade Ward. Plus, if the Eldritch Knight is using the Sword and Board style of fighting and wielding only a 1d8 weapon, casting a cantrip is comparable to making an extra weapon attack.
As your Fighter levels up, War Magic becomes less effective since you get a 3rd attack, but it still has its advantages. You only need to hit once with the cantrip to get the entire damage, whereas you need to hit with all of your weapon attacks to get a higher damage. You also benefit more from critical hits with your cantrip attack (since it involves more damage dice). There is also a short period from level 17 to level 20 where you War Magic is dealing 4dx + 1dx + Str mod damage compared to 3dx + 3x Str mod of a normal Attack action.

In short, War Magic is already competitive with just using the Attack Action. Improved War Magic is the same way, and could be even better since you're casting real spells instead of cantrips.

However, you asked for houserules you could implement to improve these features, so I'll try to offer a few suggestions:

For War Magic, you could let the EK add his spellcasting ability modifier to the damage roll, but keep in mind that this steps on the Dragon Sorcerer, Warlock and Evocation Wizard's toes a little bit, so you might want to be careful there.

For Improved War Magic, you could add the following line to the ability description:
"When you take the Attack Action on your turn and hit a hostile creature with a weapon attack, you can use a bonus action to cast a spell at that creature. The spell must have a casting time of 1 action or 1 bonus action and must target only that creature."

So now, with Improved War Magic, you have the option of casting utility spells and still make an attack, or to Attack and then cast offensive magic on the same turn. It's a pretty powerful ability, but at that level of play, everyone is doing super powerful things, so I don't think it will break the game wide open.

Vogonjeltz
2014-11-16, 07:01 PM
The averages for 2d6+4 and 2d10 are identical (11), the weapon attack just has a higher minimum, but smaller range (ie lower maximum) making it a better choice for people with lower risk tolerance.

That being said, at 20 we are looking at trading 3 attacks for 1 spell cast, or 1 cantrip.

Fire bolt is doing 4d10, so we are looking at 4-40, or 22 damage average, the same as hitting twice with a greatsword, so an average loss of 1 attack.

Scorching ray from a 4th level slot will slightly out damage the use of 4 melee attacks on average.

AoE spells have the potential to significantly our damage melee attacks. Otherwise this pairs well with spells like fire shield, that the character would want to put up in combat, while only sacrificing some attacks.

Probably more often useful when making it hurt less to use an action casting a utility spell in combat.

Bakakiba
2014-11-16, 07:20 PM
Eldritch blast is not an Eldritch Knight cantrip. Eldritch blast is exclusive to warlocks and even if it wasn't splitting your attribute points into STR/DEX, CHA and INT causes more problems then it solves.

Dump Int and take defensive/utility spells instead. Done.

D.U.P.A.
2014-11-16, 07:43 PM
However most of attacking cantrips are ranged, which would mean disadvantage for most of them if attacking melee. Also only usable only with one handed weapon, war caster is practically mandatory here.

Dump Int and take defensive/utility spells instead. Done.

The problem is there are not many abjuration spells available, especially at low levels.

Bakakiba
2014-11-16, 11:47 PM
The problem is there are not many abjuration spells available, especially at low levels.

Darkness, Continual Flame and Gust of Wind are 2nd level evocation spells that do not require a saving throw.

Ashrym
2014-11-16, 11:56 PM
The point is to cast a spell like other classes cast spells and also get a bonus attack unlike most other spellcasters. The abilities are less about more damage than multiple attacks and more about free attacks after non-damaging spells.

silveralen
2014-11-17, 03:41 AM
Let bonus actions preempt the triggering action (I'm not entirely sure this is even a house rule, so much as an dd interpretation of how the bonus actions work). Then it serves as damage+disadvantage on a saving throw to set up your spell.

Nargrakhan
2014-11-17, 08:43 AM
Some salt in the wound: an Eldritch Knight has to use a spell component pouch, and all the hassle that goes with it, because there's nothing in the write up that says they can use an arcane focus.

silveralen
2014-11-17, 09:14 AM
Probably an oversite, that's another good choice for a house rule.

Regulas
2014-11-17, 10:28 AM
Suggested method: When you use an attack action you can choose to attack once less and gain the ability to cast a cantrip as a bonus action.

This way you still have to use the bonus action, and you still loose 1 attack but you are only ever loosing 1 attack, but only for cantrips. This results in a net gain of damage but not a crazy amount and enough to make the concept of casting and fighting together every turn viable.

Improved is fine since your full casting and often cases the AOE power and better damage of some of these spells outways any potential for loss.

That being said there are always clever uses of the existing ability: Cast minor illusion cantrip and use it to cover the enemy with a blanket to blind them, or make a threating sound illusion behind them (Die! with a swoosh) so as to grant yourself (at DM discretion) advantage on your attack.

Ashrym
2014-11-17, 01:54 PM
Probably an oversite, that's another good choice for a house rule.
I doubt it because arcane tricksters and rangers don't have a focus either. I think it's more likely intentional instead of the same oversight three times.

silveralen
2014-11-17, 02:21 PM
I doubt it because arcane tricksters and rangers don't have a focus either. I think it's more likely intentional instead of the same oversight three times.

Considering paladin, the counter point to ranger, does, I'm going with at least one oversite. Unless they somehow felt that paladin needed a boost compared to ranger.....