PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Modeling a Character after Gaara

Ignis6669
2014-11-16, 06:16 PM
tl;dr below for those who would like it. I know this is a lot of text.

Hey there guys,
I've been working on an idea for a build based on Gaara from Naruto (Obligatory links for people unfamiliar with the character here (http://naruto.wikia.com/wiki/Gaara), here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaara), and here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRVvLI6lIpk)). I've come up with some ideas, but I am hoping that you guys can help me to round this out some. Now, really, I'm only trying to mimic his ability to mess with Sand. I have no interest in trying to replicate Shukaku. That may be possible, but not at the level we will be playing at.

I have looked at these (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=6002.35;wap2) two (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-general/threads/1045951) guides, but they were hard to read and didn't navigate well, so I didn't get much out of them. I would appreciate any other links that people have.

Pertinent rules:
1. All official 3.5 sources are currently available. Basically my guideline is "Don't break my game". But I still like to keep things as clean and simple as possible.

2. We will be starting at level 8.

3. It will be a campaign based in a "Frostburn" like area. So I won't always have a bunch of sand sitting around. My current plan is to carry sand with me. And maybe to convince my DM to allow me to custom make a "Create Sand" Spell.

Character Ideas:
1. Race: Silverbrow Human (This is both to keep the human side of things going, as well as for roleplay reasons.)

2. Class: I'm thinking to make him a Sorcerer so that I can trade his familiar out for the Spell Shield ACF. Which I can fluff as sand protecting him. I Also want him to enter Sand Shaper as quickly as he can.

3. Spell ideas: I'm hoping to play him as a big "no button". So I'm thinking mostly for things that can help to keep other people down, or protect me and my allies. Current thoughts include things like Ruin Delver's Fortune, Wings of cover, grease, Arcane turmoil, Friendly fire, Bands of steel, Blockade, Alter fortune, and Deflect. I'm also open to ideas for spells that can be easily refluffed to being sand related.

4. Shapesand will probably play a big role in this characters equipment. My DM and I will have to work out the specifics because it's a fairly poorly written item. But I'm open to other ideas on equipment.

The character is intended to come from a desert tribe, where he is apprenticed to their Shaman (Probably a higher level sorcerer or something). He will he journeying to the Frostfell area pursuing rumors that a cult there is intending on spreading Eternal Winter over the globe. Since he is of Silver Dragon Descent, his clan sent him because they hoped the dragon blood would help him to deal with the cold. Other details on his background are still in the works, but I'm open to ideas.

Current Problems:
1. I'm not sure what to do with my feats. If I go Silverbrow Human I have 4 feats at level 8. One of them needs to go to the Touchstone requirement. I also plan on talking to my DM about modifiying the "Quicken Spell Like Ability (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsterFeats.htm)" for the "Sand Shape" Ability to make it a Standard action (Because the qualifications all seem odd to me. He didn't immediately say no to the idea, so it's on the table I guess. Also, my main goal is to be able to ready an action to create a wall or sphere of sand. So it probably won't break the game).

2. I don't know how to get Knowledge (Nature) and Survival on his Skill list. Ideas? I'm sure there's a feat somewhere that'll do it.

3. Spell are difficult for me to choose. I'm used to playing casters who blow stuff up (I know it's inefficient. but it's fun). Trying to find debuffs and stuff that I can refluff to being sand related is difficult.

4. Is there already a spell somewhere that'll let me create sand efficiently? I'm thinking to ask my DM to let me modify the "Create Water" to create 1 cubic foot of water per 2 caster levels.

tl;dr
I'm trying to create a Silverbrow Human sorcerer at level 8 that replicates the ability that Gaara has to manipulate sand. I need to get him into the class as early as possible, as well as ideas for Feats and Spells and equipment and stuff.

Thanks guys! I appreciate any thoughts you may have.

Extra Anchovies
2014-11-16, 06:54 PM
Just be sure to refluff all of your spells as sand. Gaara uses Wings of Cover all the damn time (seriously, it gets tedious) in both manga and anime; it's just refluffed as him raising a sand shield to block attacks.

Ignis6669
2014-11-16, 07:20 PM
Just be sure to refluff all of your spells as sand. Gaara uses Wings of Cover all the damn time (seriously, it gets tedious) in both manga and anime; it's just refluffed as him raising a sand shield to block attacks.

Yeah, I plan on using that a bunch. It's part of the reason I chose the race I did. That way I can share wings of cover with my allies as well. :smallbiggrin:

Venger
2014-11-16, 07:24 PM
you should dip sand shaper. possibly more than a dip, especially if you're rolling sorcerer. tons of spells added to your list and lots of neat sand-based abilities like manipulating shapesand more effectively, turning yourself to sand, and letting sand heal your wounds. if you're in a frostburny place, then there's no reason you couldn't have sand. it could be like the gobi desert or maine or something. or you could just have an extradimensional space full of sand and/or a gourd of sand on your back like gaara so you're never helpless. sand shaper's metamagic boosters work as long as you have at least 15 lbs of sand handy.

Ignis6669
2014-11-16, 07:30 PM
you should dip sand shaper. possibly more than a dip, especially if you're rolling sorcerer. tons of spells added to your list and lots of neat sand-based abilities like manipulating shapesand more effectively, turning yourself to sand, and letting sand heal your wounds. if you're in a frostburny place, then there's no reason you couldn't have sand. it could be like the gobi desert or maine or something. or you could just have an extradimensional space full of sand and/or a gourd of sand on your back like gaara so you're never helpless. sand shaper's metamagic boosters work as long as you have at least 15 lbs of sand handy.

See, I'm of that same opinion on the general availability of sand in the area. However, my DM stated that he anticipates we will mostly be on ice. So there won't be much sand. I didn't feel the need to push the point. I'm just going to make sure to carry sand on me. I'm also going to pitch that the area may still qualify as "wasteland" for the purposes of some of my abilities. Because, you know, worst case he says no.

Venger
2014-11-16, 07:33 PM
See, I'm of that same opinion on the general availability of sand in the area. However, my DM stated that he anticipates we will mostly be on ice. So there won't be much sand. I didn't feel the need to push the point. I'm just going to make sure to carry sand on me. I'm also going to pitch that the area may still qualify as "wasteland" for the purposes of some of my abilities. Because, you know, worst case he says no.

Fortunately, sand shaper makes a provision for that, in case you travel.even if the land you're in isn't waste, as long as you have at least 15 pounds of sand, your dust magic ablity still functions.

Blackhawk748
2014-11-16, 07:33 PM
Seconding more levels of Sandshaper, level 7 is a good cut off, unless your gonna go all 10 (because you can get a free revive if your buried in sand, personally i thinks its awesomely fluffy, but its not worth the lost casting, buts thats my opinion) other than that, im not sure where to go, Gaara is fairly durable so you might want to find a casting PrC with higher HD (wish i could think of one off hand)

Extra Anchovies
2014-11-16, 07:36 PM

And then you remind him that the largest desert in our world goes by the name of Antarctica. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_deserts_by_area)

Troacctid
2014-11-16, 07:37 PM
You can get both Knowledge (Nature) and Survival as class skills by apprenticing yourself to a woodsman via the Apprentice feat. It also gives you 1 free rank in each of them, a +2 competence bonus on Survival checks, and the ability to follow tracks as if you had the Track feat, provided the DC is 20 or lower.

aleucard
2014-11-16, 07:42 PM
If at all possible, try talking your DM into allowing you to research your own spells if no existing material fits what you're wanting to do right, and let those spells NOT count against you for your limited spells/known as a Sorcerer. See if you can get them to use either regular sand or Shapesand in certain quantities as a focus, with the latter having better results. For bonus points, make it so that your Shapesand is a special variety that only responds to your commands and can't be transferred by any means but your death or something else comparably final. It would go a good way to explain why you have greater control over it than standard; maybe have something where you can only have so much of it per caster level, and it counts as being part of your body weight. You can still fiddle with normal Shapesand better than anyone else, but your personal stash is basically a separate limb. Maybe you can "spend" spell slots on maintaining certain functions throughout the day (for instance, Gaara's version of telekinesis, both for himself and other things/people, would be at least worth a Lv. 2 slot, maybe higher for more robust platforms; squishing them would be a separate spell). It would help explain why he can do things like this constantly as well as why he so rarely does anything else.

EDIT: Also, if at all possible, can you PM me the info for the campaign? This sounds like it could be fun.

EDIT 2: One idea for rounding it off would be to modify the everloving Hell out of Shadowcraft Mage so that you're using obscene amounts of sand rather than illusions and Shadow Plane energy. First level gives you an extradimensional space just for the extra amount of sand you'll add to your personal stash (up the amount by 20% every level, on top of adding these levels to Sandshaper?), second lets you have an always-on but weaker version of your defense (maybe model it after a Protoss shield from SC2?), third speeds up at least some of your sand-manipulation a bit (everything gets bumped down a step, to a floor of an Immediate Action), fourth lets you make autonomous constructs of sand of equal level to the Summon Monster/Nature's Ally/etc. spell of whatever level you devote to it and disguise them as such (no supernatural/spell-likes of the beastie in question, but with some extra goodies due to the means of construction). Fifth could be the one where you can turn yourself into one of those constructs (the difference in HP is covered by something similar to your Lv. 2 ability), but you maintain your casting ability (and this lasts only a minute or so a day (refreshed by spending the equivalent of whatever spell slot the beastie would've been +1)). That should cover all your Gaara needs, with the crazy @#$^#@# Shukaku thrown in for bonus points.

Ignis6669
2014-11-16, 07:53 PM
Seconding more levels of Sandshaper, level 7 is a good cut off, unless your gonna go all 10 (because you can get a free revive if your buried in sand, personally i thinks its awesomely fluffy, but its not worth the lost casting, buts thats my opinion) other than that, im not sure where to go, Gaara is fairly durable so you might want to find a casting PrC with higher HD (wish i could think of one off hand)

Yeah, I don't anticipate us getting to a high enough level for me to max out Sand shaper. Not that I would go all the way with it. I agree with your thought on stopping at Level 7.

You can get both Knowledge (Nature) and Survival as class skills by apprenticing yourself to a woodsman via the Apprentice feat. It also gives you 1 free rank in each of them, a +2 competence bonus on Survival checks, and the ability to follow tracks as if you had the Track feat, provided the DC is 20 or lower.

This is a great idea. I dunno about someone who is a dedicated woodcutter being in the desert though. I may pitch the "spell Caster" idea under a druid maybe?

EDIT: Also, if at all possible, can you PM me the info for the campaign? This sounds like it could be fun.

Basically everything that I have is already posted here. But I'll keep you in mind for when I hear more.

aleucard
2014-11-16, 08:00 PM
Basically everything that I have is already posted here. But I'll keep you in mind for when I hear more.

I'm more thinking of the campaign's page, who the DM is, and whether they're willing to accept new players.

Ignis6669
2014-11-16, 08:09 PM
I'm more thinking of the campaign's page, who the DM is, and whether they're willing to accept new players.

Whoops! I guess I misunderstood. It's actually a local, in person game. Sorry!

Troacctid
2014-11-16, 08:39 PM
This is a great idea. I dunno about someone who is a dedicated woodcutter being in the desert though. I may pitch the "spell Caster" idea under a druid maybe?

The class skills you get depend on who's mentoring you; if you're apprenticed under a spellcaster, you'll get Use Magic Device and any Knowledge skill instead of Survival and Knowledge (Nature). However, it says "A woodsman mentor might be a hunter, a caretaker of a forest, or a scout." Hunters and scouts are a thing in non-woodland terrain--you could just go with whatever the desert equivalent is.

aleucard
2014-11-16, 08:42 PM
The class skills you get depend on who's mentoring you; if you're apprenticed under a spellcaster, you'll get Use Magic Device and any Knowledge skill instead of Survival and Knowledge (Nature). However, it says "A woodsman mentor might be a hunter, a caretaker of a forest, or a scout." Hunters and scouts are a thing in non-woodland terrain--you could just go with whatever the desert equivalent is.

Considering the terrain, that's likely to be a VERY in-demand position, so that's a plus.

Ignis6669
2014-11-16, 08:56 PM

I guess it helps if you read the entire entry. *laughs* Thanks for that.

Phelix-Mu
2014-11-16, 11:09 PM
You know, once you get the ability to awaken sand, you could actually run a lot of Gaara's schtick by having the sand creatures heavily buffed up, since they have engulf and are made out of sand (and can probably carry more sand inside of themselves as part of their carrying capacity. On paper, it's minionmancy, but the fluff could just look like the sand responds to the character's wishes, just like with Gaara.

But, yeah, sandshaper. Also consider that transmute x to sand is on several spell lists, and could always be used on a wall of stone or something to generate large quantities of sand mid-mission.

Actually, you could probably get items to help you have shrink item running all of the time, and use it on chunks of shapesand or something (or maybe a large urn of sand...shrink it down and keep it in your handy haversack).

ericgrau
2014-11-16, 11:27 PM
I like the many 3.5e resources for building whatever you want, but I don't like the notion that you have to strictly limit yourself to them. Besides refluffing spells, work with the DM to make small tweaks in them. Use the original spell as the baseline so that you don't have to guess on spell level and so on. But make small mechanical differences that say this is actually sand, and not something else that we are pretending is sand as long as it has no effect.

To save time you could submit a list to the DM with changes bolded, then he skims and checks for potential problems. Since you should absolutely try to exploit the sandiness, notify the DM up front of potential applications and abusability that might not be obvious. Much better than limiting clever ideas for fear of breaking the game, or sneaking in a bad spell and actually breaking the game. If you have time and want to take it even farther, there may be weaknesses that foes can exploit. But little things; don't get too complicated. Often you may only say "this is (actually) sand".

Extra Anchovies
2014-11-16, 11:39 PM
Decanter of Endless Sand?

Well, not endless. Set a limit on how much you can have created at a time, or at least how much can be created per day.

Phelix-Mu
2014-11-17, 04:50 AM
Decanter of Endless Sand?

Well, not endless. Set a limit on how much you can have created at a time, or at least how much can be created per day.

Actually, I thought there was an item like this in Sandstorm...

Bottle of endless sand, page 132. 21,600gp, though. Maybe a more limited use item could be crafted for less money? The one in the book actually seems unlimited (beyond it's rate per round, no cap on total produced).

Tohsaka Rin
2014-11-17, 04:56 AM
I suggest google.

Really. Someone a few years back made (on another board) a bunch of anime characters in 3.5 already. It might have been Prime32 even, that guy does everything.

If I remember correctly (and I might not be, migraine/memory issues today) it involved telekinetic grapple, and a few grapple feats.

Phelix-Mu
2014-11-17, 05:00 AM
I suggest google.

Really. Someone a few years back made (on another board) a bunch of anime characters in 3.5 already. It might have been Prime32 even, that guy does everything.

If I remember correctly (and I might not be, migraine/memory issues today) it involved telekinetic grapple, and a few grapple feats.

Ohoho. Now that is something that didn't occur to me. Right, just like you can kind of model Magneto's metal-manipulation with telekinesis, you could also do the same with Gaara.

Hehe, yeah, that would be pretty cool.

By the way, extra points for shouting out the technique names in Japanese. Hehe, Gaara had some of the best ones, in my (obviously biased) opinion. Even his name sounds cool in Japanese.

Tohsaka Rin
2014-11-17, 05:07 AM
Just remember, Telekinetic Manuever (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/telekineticManeuver.htm) treats it as if you were doing the grappling yourself.

That means that any feats you have that would make you a grappling beast? Those totally count. There's a lot of them, too.

Ignis6669
2014-11-17, 07:51 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone!

You know, once you get the ability to awaken sand, you could actually run a lot of Gaara's schtick by having the sand creatures heavily buffed up, since they have engulf and are made out of sand (and can probably carry more sand inside of themselves as part of their carrying capacity. On paper, it's minionmancy, but the fluff could just look like the sand responds to the character's wishes, just like with Gaara.

But, yeah, sandshaper. Also consider that transmute x to sand is on several spell lists, and could always be used on a wall of stone or something to generate large quantities of sand mid-mission.

Actually, you could probably get items to help you have shrink item running all of the time, and use it on chunks of shapesand or something (or maybe a large urn of sand...shrink it down and keep it in your handy haversack).

I hadn't really considered how making critters out of sand could help out there. It'd be neat. Unfortunately I'm going to be just under that ability for a while. I suppose I can see what I can do about that. Thanks for the idea!

I like the many 3.5e resources for building whatever you want, but I don't like the notion that you have to strictly limit yourself to them. Besides refluffing spells, work with the DM to make small tweaks in them. Use the original spell as the baseline so that you don't have to guess on spell level and so on. But make small mechanical differences that say this is actually sand, and not something else that we are pretending is sand as long as it has no effect.

To save time you could submit a list to the DM with changes bolded, then he skims and checks for potential problems. Since you should absolutely try to exploit the sandiness, notify the DM up front of potential applications and abusability that might not be obvious. Much better than limiting clever ideas for fear of breaking the game, or sneaking in a bad spell and actually breaking the game. If you have time and want to take it even farther, there may be weaknesses that foes can exploit. But little things; don't get too complicated. Often you may only say "this is (actually) sand".

The DM has been very good about working with me. But he's a very new DM and I don't want to throw too many adjustments at him all at once. I don't want to scare him away. He's the only guy who's been willing to take the DM hat from me.

Actually, I thought there was an item like this in Sandstorm...

Bottle of endless sand, page 132. 21,600gp, though. Maybe a more limited use item could be crafted for less money? The one in the book actually seems unlimited (beyond it's rate per round, no cap on total produced).

That is a brilliant item. It's going on my wish list. Thanks!

I suggest google.

Yeah, I found a few handbooks. And I've looked through them. But they're mostly psionic (which isn't my personal preference), and they're hard to read, which isn't fun.

Thanks again everyone!

ericgrau
2014-11-17, 08:22 AM
The DM has been very good about working with me. But he's a very new DM and I don't want to throw too many adjustments at him all at once. I don't want to scare him away. He's the only guy who's been willing to take the DM hat from me.
Then too many changes would be overwhelming yes. But so are too many splat book ideas. Try to reign it in yourself unless all the other players in your group are as savvy as you. For example shape sand and wings of cover are perfect for the build but they are also a wee bit strong IIRC. You can aid in the toning down. For example if a spell is borderline OP like WoC, bump it up one spell level. Again unless everybody else is using similar abilities.

Once he does get more comfortable, homebrew spells, items and feats are amazing to play with.

Ignis6669
2014-11-17, 09:36 PM
Then too many changes would be overwhelming yes. But so are too many splat book ideas. Try to reign it in yourself unless all the other players in your group are as savvy as you. For example shape sand and wings of cover are perfect for the build but they are also a wee bit strong IIRC. You can aid in the toning down. For example if a spell is borderline OP like WoC, bump it up one spell level. Again unless everybody else is using similar abilities.

Once he does get more comfortable, homebrew spells, items and feats are amazing to play with.

Yeah, I'm really trying to walk that line with him. I make a point of getting everything even a bit questionable approved by him though. It gives him a better idea of the way that I'm building the character and what they're capable of. I'm sure that between the two of us we can meet in the middle.

ericgrau
2014-11-18, 09:27 AM
Soften earth and stone (drd 2, earth domain 2) can convert large amounts of dry earth into sand. Move earth (drd 6, sor/wiz 6) and earthquake (clr 8, drd 8, earth domain 7) are loose fits to the concept if restricted to sand.

Fable Wright
2014-11-18, 10:10 AM
For fun, grab a wand of Launch Bolt or two for your primary attack form. As it turns out, shaping a Colossal crossbow bolt with Sand Shaping is a DC 0 check (as it's 1 cu ft or less, -5 DC, weapon, +5 DC). This means that it takes no time at all to shape it. You can now mimic Gaara's ability to punch people with sand.

Phelix-Mu
2014-11-18, 10:14 AM
I'm not quite remembering, but wasn't Gaara's taijutsu a bit weak, since he could do all his fighting with his sand? I remember he was badly affected when he was actually injured, since that almost never happened due to his perfect defenses, but I don't remember him ever really using much martial arts against Lee or Naruto.

I assume he received some basic training, but I wonder if a Gaara character should have Improved Unarmed Strike or the like.

Fouredged Sword
2014-11-18, 10:43 AM
Refluff refluff refluff. Hail of stones is a hail of sand bullets. Fist of stone is you wrapping your arm is sand to boost your strength. Fly conjures a sand platform you float around on. Mage armor and shield are physical armor made of sand. Fire spells are burning hot sand.

Maybe the elemental conjuration reserve feat to summon earth elementals as sand creatures. They don't last long, but have earth glide and are spam-able. Or just summon earth or air elementals (air elementals are flying sand clouds).

If you want a mechanics effect that reflects your odd casting, consider the feat Spell Thematics. +1 Cl for one spell per spell level, and +4 to the DC to identify your spells. Boom, all your spells are sand themed.

Dusk Eclipse
2014-11-18, 11:43 AM
Here are two versions of Gaara from the Psionic Naruto Builds thread over at BG (not sure if they were ported over to min/max though)

Sabaku no Gaara - Empty Vessel Shaper 19

Feats: Overchannel (1), Talented (Empty Vessel), Psicrystal Affinity (Shaper1), Improved Unarmed Strike (3), Expanded Knowledge (Levitate, Nomad Version) (Shaper5), Improved Grapple (6), Earth's Embrace* (9), Expanded Knowledge (Remote Viewing) (Shaper10), Psionic Meditation (12), Expanded Knowledge (Energy Ball) (Shaper15), Psicrystal Containment (15), Twin Power (18)

* - Complete Warrior

Powers:
1st - Inertial Armor, Force Screen
2nd - Levitate, Biofeedback, Throw Ectoform*
3rd - Telekinetic Thrust, Ectoplasmic Cocoon, Solicit Psicrystal
4th - Remote Viewing, Energy Ball, Telekinetic Maneuver, Wall of Ectoplasm, Dimension Door
5th - Psychic Crush
6th - Temporal Acceleration
7th - Mass Ectoplasmic Cocoon, Energy Wave, Energy Claw
8th - Recall Death
9th - Greater Metamorphosis**

* - Hyperconscious ** - Added Via Psychic Chirgurery when the Shukaku was emplanted in Gaara

Gaara's Signature Abilities:
Suna Bunshin – Sand Clone – Throw Ectoform (Hyperconscious)
Suna no Muya – Cocoon of Sand – Ectoplasmic Cocoon
Suna no Tate – Shield of Sand – Inertial Armor
Suna no Yoroi – Armor of Sand – Biofeedback
Shukaku no Tate – Shield of Shukaku – Force Screen
Sabaku Taisou – Desert Requiem – Energy Wave: Sonic
Daisan no Me – The Third Eye – Remote Viewing
Goukusamaisou – Sand Prison Burial – Mass Ectoplasmic Cocoon
Renkuudan – Drilling Air Projectile – Energy Ball: Sonic: A technique unique to Gaara in his fully transformed Shukaku form.
Ryuusa Bakuryuu – Quicksand Waterfall Current – Telekinetic Thrust: While visually more impressive creating a massive tidal wave of sand to throw an opponent, effectively the technique only throws the opponent backwards. This skill is unique to Jinchuuriki of the Shukaku such as Gaara
Sabaku Fuyuu – Floating Desert Sand – Psionic Levitate (Nomad Version)
Sabaku Kyuu – Desert Coffin – Telekinetic Maneuver (Grapple)
Sabaku Rou – Desert Prison – Wall of Ectoplasm (Hemisphere or Sphere)
Sabaku Sousou – Desert Funeral – Gaara takes a grappeled opponent and crushes them with awe inspiring force. To mimic this ability Gaara can Manifest Temporal Acceleration for 3 extra rounds, during which he manifests 3 twin Sonic Energy Claws, followed by a 4th after exiting temporal acceleration. These 8 claws each deal damage to the target totaling 8d3+56 crushing damage and 16d6-16 sonic damage.
Shukaku Transformation - Lesser Version: Greater Metamorphosis into a Young Adult or Adult Sand Dragon (Sandstorm), Greater Version: Overchannel Greater Metamorphosis into a Mature Adult Sand Dragon (huge size).

Sabaku no Gaara - Empty Vessel Sorcerer 9/Sand Shaper 10

Feats: Practiced Spellcaster** (1), Still Spell (Empty Vessel), Touchstone (City of the Dead)* (3), Chain Spell** (6), Drift Magic (9), Up the Walls (12), Speed of Thought (15), Mental Leap (18)

* - Sandstorm ** - Complete Arcane
Spells:
2nd - Earthen Grasp**, Levitate
3rd - Greater Mage Armor**
4th - Polymorph, Blast of Sand*, Scrying, Wall of Sand*, Dimension Door, Desert Burial***
5th - Telekinesis, Transmute Stone to Sand, Flaywind Burst*
7th - Finger of Death
8th - Iron Body
9th - Bigby's Crushing Hand, Shapechange

* - Sandstorm ** - Spell Compendium *** - Dragon 331

Suna no Muya – Cocoon of Sand – Wall of Sand
Suna no Tate – Shield of Sand – Greater Mage Armor or Aura of Sand (Sandstorm)
Suna no Yoroi – Armor of Sand – Iron Body
Shukaku no Tate – Shield of Shukaku – Wall of Sand
Sabaku Taisou – Desert Requiem – Blast of Sand
Daisan no Me – The Third Eye – Scrying
Goukusamaisou – Sand Prison Burial – Transmute Stone to Sand
Renkuudan – Drilling Air Projectile – Flaywind Burst: A technique unique to Gaara in his fully transformed Shukaku form.
Ryuusa Bakuryuu – Quicksand Waterfall Current – Telekinesis (Bull Rush): While visually more impressive creating a massive tidal wave of sand to throw an opponent, effectively the technique only throws the opponent backwards. This skill is unique to Jinchuuriki of the Shukaku such as Gaara
Sabaku Fuyuu – Floating Desert Sand – Levitate
Sabaku Kyuu – Desert Coffin – Earthen Grasp, or Bigby's Crushing Hand
Sabaku Rou – Desert Prison – Desert Burial
Sabaku Sousou – Desert Funeral – Bigby's Crushing Hand: if 2d6+12 doesn't seem like sufficient damage, I recommend using Finger of Death on a previously grappled foe.
Shukaku Transformation - Lesser Version: Polymorph into a Young Adult or Adult Sand Dragon (Sandstorm), Greater Version: Dust Magic Shapechange into a Mature Adult Sand Dragon (huge size).

Ignis6669
2014-11-18, 10:41 PM
Maybe the elemental conjuration reserve feat to summon earth elementals as sand creatures. They don't last long, but have earth glide and are spam-able. Or just summon earth or air elementals (air elementals are flying sand clouds).

This is brilliant. I hadn't even considered that. Thanks a bunch!

For fun, grab a wand of Launch Bolt or two for your primary attack form. As it turns out, shaping a Colossal crossbow bolt with Sand Shaping is a DC 0 check (as it's 1 cu ft or less, -5 DC, weapon, +5 DC). This means that it takes no time at all to shape it. You can now mimic Gaara's ability to punch people with sand.

This is slightly evil. And yet it has so many possibilities... *laughs* I may consider it if I can use something other then a colossal bolt. Because that just seems unnecessary. Thanks!

Here are two versions of Gaara from the Psionic Naruto Builds thread over at BG (not sure if they were ported over to min/max though)

Sabaku no Gaara - Empty Vessel Shaper 19

Feats: Overchannel (1), Talented (Empty Vessel), Psicrystal Affinity (Shaper1), Improved Unarmed Strike (3), Expanded Knowledge (Levitate, Nomad Version) (Shaper5), Improved Grapple (6), Earth's Embrace* (9), Expanded Knowledge (Remote Viewing) (Shaper10), Psionic Meditation (12), Expanded Knowledge (Energy Ball) (Shaper15), Psicrystal Containment (15), Twin Power (18)

* - Complete Warrior

Powers:
1st - Inertial Armor, Force Screen
2nd - Levitate, Biofeedback, Throw Ectoform*
3rd - Telekinetic Thrust, Ectoplasmic Cocoon, Solicit Psicrystal
4th - Remote Viewing, Energy Ball, Telekinetic Maneuver, Wall of Ectoplasm, Dimension Door
5th - Psychic Crush
6th - Temporal Acceleration
7th - Mass Ectoplasmic Cocoon, Energy Wave, Energy Claw
8th - Recall Death
9th - Greater Metamorphosis**

* - Hyperconscious ** - Added Via Psychic Chirgurery when the Shukaku was emplanted in Gaara

Suna Bunshin – Sand Clone – Throw Ectoform (Hyperconscious)
Suna no Muya – Cocoon of Sand – Ectoplasmic Cocoon
Suna no Tate – Shield of Sand – Inertial Armor
Suna no Yoroi – Armor of Sand – Biofeedback
Shukaku no Tate – Shield of Shukaku – Force Screen
Sabaku Taisou – Desert Requiem – Energy Wave: Sonic
Daisan no Me – The Third Eye – Remote Viewing
Goukusamaisou – Sand Prison Burial – Mass Ectoplasmic Cocoon
Renkuudan – Drilling Air Projectile – Energy Ball: Sonic: A technique unique to Gaara in his fully transformed Shukaku form.
Ryuusa Bakuryuu – Quicksand Waterfall Current – Telekinetic Thrust: While visually more impressive creating a massive tidal wave of sand to throw an opponent, effectively the technique only throws the opponent backwards. This skill is unique to Jinchuuriki of the Shukaku such as Gaara
Sabaku Fuyuu – Floating Desert Sand – Psionic Levitate (Nomad Version)
Sabaku Kyuu – Desert Coffin – Telekinetic Maneuver (Grapple)
Sabaku Rou – Desert Prison – Wall of Ectoplasm (Hemisphere or Sphere)
Sabaku Sousou – Desert Funeral – Gaara takes a grappeled opponent and crushes them with awe inspiring force. To mimic this ability Gaara can Manifest Temporal Acceleration for 3 extra rounds, during which he manifests 3 twin Sonic Energy Claws, followed by a 4th after exiting temporal acceleration. These 8 claws each deal damage to the target totaling 8d3+56 crushing damage and 16d6-16 sonic damage.
Shukaku Transformation - Lesser Version: Greater Metamorphosis into a Young Adult or Adult Sand Dragon (Sandstorm), Greater Version: Overchannel Greater Metamorphosis into a Mature Adult Sand Dragon (huge size).

Sabaku no Gaara - Empty Vessel Sorcerer 9/Sand Shaper 10

Feats: Practiced Spellcaster** (1), Still Spell (Empty Vessel), Touchstone (City of the Dead)* (3), Chain Spell** (6), Drift Magic (9), Up the Walls (12), Speed of Thought (15), Mental Leap (18)

* - Sandstorm ** - Complete Arcane
Spells:
2nd - Earthen Grasp**, Levitate
3rd - Greater Mage Armor**
4th - Polymorph, Blast of Sand*, Scrying, Wall of Sand*, Dimension Door, Desert Burial***
5th - Telekinesis, Transmute Stone to Sand, Flaywind Burst*
7th - Finger of Death
8th - Iron Body
9th - Bigby's Crushing Hand, Shapechange

* - Sandstorm ** - Spell Compendium *** - Dragon 331

Suna no Muya – Cocoon of Sand – Wall of Sand
Suna no Tate – Shield of Sand – Greater Mage Armor or Aura of Sand (Sandstorm)
Suna no Yoroi – Armor of Sand – Iron Body
Shukaku no Tate – Shield of Shukaku – Wall of Sand
Sabaku Taisou – Desert Requiem – Blast of Sand
Daisan no Me – The Third Eye – Scrying
Goukusamaisou – Sand Prison Burial – Transmute Stone to Sand
Renkuudan – Drilling Air Projectile – Flaywind Burst: A technique unique to Gaara in his fully transformed Shukaku form.
Ryuusa Bakuryuu – Quicksand Waterfall Current – Telekinesis (Bull Rush): While visually more impressive creating a massive tidal wave of sand to throw an opponent, effectively the technique only throws the opponent backwards. This skill is unique to Jinchuuriki of the Shukaku such as Gaara
Sabaku Fuyuu – Floating Desert Sand – Levitate
Sabaku Kyuu – Desert Coffin – Earthen Grasp, or Bigby's Crushing Hand
Sabaku Rou – Desert Prison – Desert Burial
Sabaku Sousou – Desert Funeral – Bigby's Crushing Hand: if 2d6+12 doesn't seem like sufficient damage, I recommend using Finger of Death on a previously grappled foe.
Shukaku Transformation - Lesser Version: Polymorph into a Young Adult or Adult Sand Dragon (Sandstorm), Greater Version: Dust Magic Shapechange into a Mature Adult Sand Dragon (huge size).

This is much nicer then the version I saw. Thanks!

RyoAtemi
2014-11-20, 11:26 AM
Check out the new pathfinder Occult Adventures playtest. The new class kinetisist can almost replicate Gaara perfectly

Yael
2014-11-20, 01:55 PM
I agree with the sorcerer and add the Spell Thematics to make all your spells appear out of sand, Sandshaper is also a good option, there.

ben-zayb
2014-11-21, 04:24 AM
You could also use a refluffed Telekinesis as a general purpose sand attack. Instead of using Launch Bolt, use Violent Thrust for the sand bullets. The Grapple/BullRush/Trip/Disarm option are also keyed off CL and Cha instead of BAB and Str.

You could even refluff a Ring of Telekinesis, hopefully crafted it with a higher CL, as your Gourd and haul it on your back (but still taking up a Ring slot). Maybe even request to make it an actual gourd with the functionality of a Ring of TK so that you could still fill it with sand. Basically this becomes your at-will, general purpose, sand attack.

Extra Anchovies
2014-11-21, 04:52 AM
Basically this becomes your at-will, general purpose, sand attack.

But it doesn't reduce opponent's accuracy! (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Sand_Attack_%28move%29) :smallwink:

However, I do like the Telekinesis angle. Maybe combine it with Sand Shaper to make 15 Colossal crossbow bolts or arrows and Violent Thrust them at the target for 45d6 damage?

ben-zayb
2014-11-21, 07:25 AM
But it doesn't reduce opponent's accuracy! (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Sand_Attack_%28move%29) :smallwink:

However, I do like the Telekinesis angle. Maybe combine it with Sand Shaper to make 15 Colossal crossbow bolts or arrows and Violent Thrust them at the target for 45d6 damage?Wait until he uses it against flying enemies.

Is there a RAW chart for weapon weights based on size larger than Large? TK has a weight limit IIRC.

Extra Anchovies
2014-11-21, 08:30 AM
Wait until he uses it against flying enemies.

Is there a RAW chart for weapon weights based on size larger than Large? TK has a weight limit IIRC.

For every size increase you double the weight. Crossbow bolts weigh 0.1 lb each, so a Colossal crossbow bolt weighs 1.6 lb. Weight limit per item is 25 lb. Easily within the range. They deal damage as daggers of their size, but they weight less than daggers so you don't need as much sand.

Ignis6669
2014-11-21, 06:46 PM
Sorry I'm late replying guys. It's been a rough week.

I agree with the sorcerer and add the Spell Thematics to make all your spells appear out of sand, Sandshaper is also a good option, there.

I considered spell thematics. But it doesn't seem like much of a benefit to me for a feat slot. But maybe that's just me.

However, I do like the Telekinesis angle. Maybe combine it with Sand Shaper to make 15 Colossal crossbow bolts or arrows and Violent Thrust them at the target for 45d6 damage?

We won't really be a high enough level for Telekinesis. And even if I was, I'm not sure I would do that. I don't want to make the DM too angry. He's the only person I've run into in a long time willing to run the game.

Check out the new pathfinder Occult Adventures playtest. The new class kinetisist can almost replicate Gaara perfectly

Great idea. I'll look through it, but I don't wanna throw something too odd at my DM. He's a little... Light on rules knowledge.

You could also use a refluffed Telekinesis as a general purpose sand attack. Instead of using Launch Bolt, use Violent Thrust for the sand bullets. The Grapple/BullRush/Trip/Disarm option are also keyed off CL and Cha instead of BAB and Str.

You could even refluff a Ring of Telekinesis, hopefully crafted it with a higher CL, as your Gourd and haul it on your back (but still taking up a Ring slot). Maybe even request to make it an actual gourd with the functionality of a Ring of TK so that you could still fill it with sand. Basically this becomes your at-will, general purpose, sand attack.

I hadn't considered the ring. Maybe I can convince him to let me do that if I key it down a little. You know, instead of throwing a ton of things at enemies. *laughs*