PDA

View Full Version : Eight Creatures?

Arcadian75
2014-11-16, 08:01 PM
Please forgive me if this has been addressed somewhere, and this might be easily explained by someone with better knowledge of D&D mechanics than I, a simple plebeian, possess.

V requested an item in the latest comic that can teleport eight creatures several hundred miles to the last gate. But are there not nine creatures in the order now? Roy, Haley, Elan, Durkula, Belkar, and Vaarsuvius make the Order's core members, and Blackwing, Mr. Scruffy, and Bloodfeast the Extreminator add three additional creatures, totaling nine. V is certainly counting Mr. Scruffy, else the count wouldn't be so high, so why leave out Bloodfeast? Blackwing went to rescue him when they were boarding the mechane, so V is presumably aware of Bloodfeast's existence. Also kind of hard to forget a bad-ass dinosaur ride.

Do V and Blackwing count as one creature due to their arcane bond? Is the teleporter not counted among the traveler count? Is V going to... murder one of the order?? :elan: Dun dun duuun!

Seriously though, I'm just curious for no really good reason.

Keltest
2014-11-16, 08:03 PM
Yes, Blackwing is automatically teleported with V as part of the Familiar package.

DaggerPen
2014-11-17, 12:20 AM
Blackwing is bonded to V so thoroughly that Blackwing's soul gets pulled down to Hell at the same time V does even though he never agreed to the contract. One would hope he'd at least get being counted with V for the purposes of teleportation out of the deal. :smalltongue:

factotum
2014-11-17, 03:46 AM
Does RAW actually state that a familiar must teleport along with its master? I couldn't find any reference in the SRD to that.

hamishspence
2014-11-17, 07:05 AM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/sorcererWizard.htm#familiars

Share Spells
At the master’s option, he may have any spell (but not any spell-like ability) he casts on himself also affect his familiar. The familiar must be within 5 feet at the time of casting to receive the benefit.

If the spell or effect has a duration other than instantaneous, it stops affecting the familiar if it moves farther than 5 feet away and will not affect the familiar again even if it returns to the master before the duration expires. Additionally, the master may cast a spell with a target of "You" on his familiar (as a touch range spell) instead of on himself.

A master and his familiar can share spells even if the spells normally do not affect creatures of the familiar’s type (magical beast).

When one casts teleport, one casts it on "you" as well as others (allowing one to invoke Share Spells).

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/teleport.htm

factotum
2014-11-17, 11:15 AM
Ah, I think I skimmed over that bit because it didn't occur to me it would apply to Teleport...yeah, sounds pretty solid evidence that Blackwing can teleport "for free" so long as V chooses to share the spell with him.

Jay R
2014-11-17, 04:44 PM
See? This is why you shouldn't name any of your class features (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0154.html). As soon as you do, somebody's going to assume you need to separately teleport your spells, spellbooks, bonus languages, etc.

Chronos
2014-11-21, 03:47 PM
The familiar's bond only applies to spells you cast, though. That might work for a scroll or staff, but V can't use a scroll or staff of teleport for the same reason e can't cast it emself. Using something like a Helm of Teleportation, though, wouldn't be V casting a spell, so e couldn't share it with Blackwing.

Bulldog Psion
2014-11-22, 01:50 PM
Maybe V has trouble with math. That's possible, too. :smallbiggrin:

Malek2991
2014-11-22, 06:03 PM
You want them to take a dessert dwelling dinosaur polymorphed into a lizard into the frozen north... They simply dispelled the polymorph spell and released him back into the wild off screen, where he can live happily ever after!

Rogar Demonblud
2014-11-22, 09:56 PM
Nope. We've seen Bloodfeast on the airship since they left the Western Continent.

137beth
2014-11-22, 10:04 PM
Blackwing is what we in the business call a BOGO. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0897.html)

Rodin
2014-11-22, 10:10 PM
You want them to take a dessert dwelling dinosaur polymorphed into a lizard into the frozen north... They simply dispelled the polymorph spell and released him back into the wild off screen, where he can live happily ever after!

Elan's triplet Anel went missing when he was a baby as he was sadly taken by a Trifle Triceratops. He is currently plotting to open a rift out of the Whipped Cream Plane so he can declare war on the peoples of the Ranch Dressing Plane and expand his multi-planar Empire of Eclairs.

137beth
2014-11-22, 10:17 PM
Elan's triplet Anel went missing when he was a baby as he was sadly taken by a Trifle Triceratops. He is currently plotting to open a rift out of the Whipped Cream Plane so he can declare war on the peoples of the Ranch Dressing Plane and expand his multi-planar Empire of Eclairs.
Nu uh, he's totally in the Semi-Elemental Plane of Parfait! Unless I'm confusing him with Anle, Elan's other brother...

ranagrande
2014-11-23, 04:09 AM
I thought Anle was one of his sisters? Along with Lena and Nela?

Jay R
2014-11-23, 12:20 PM
Anel is his long lost brother. Lena is the evil sister, who has Anel locked in a dungeon.

It seems she has an anel-retentive personality.

Gift Jeraff
2014-11-23, 01:00 PM
V knows that Bloodfeast isn't a permanent member of the team. He wasn't even in the group shots of the last book's final strip.

Bulldog Psion
2014-11-24, 01:43 AM
Anel is his long lost brother. Lena is the evil sister, who has Anel locked in a dungeon.

It seems she has an anel-retentive personality.

That was a low blow, sir.

And also, considerably funnier than it should have been. :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin:

Adun
2014-11-26, 10:52 AM
Perhaps he doesn't want Durkula? Or Roy had shared with him the prophecy about Belkar and he can do the math because he knows how many days are left...

:elan: Dun dun duuuun