PDA

View Full Version : Spell Storing Magic Item Help

MrUberGr
2014-11-16, 08:01 PM
So, I received this amulet which can store spells. How it works: You can choose two 1st level spells and one 2nd level to store permanently. Over a day, you can either cast the two 1st levels or the one 2nd level. The spells cannot be changed no matter what afterwards. What do you suggest I use?

P.S. I'm a bard so something from that spell list.

Safety Sword
2014-11-16, 08:09 PM
So, I received this amulet which can store spells. How it works: You can choose two 1st level spells and one 2nd level to store permanently. Over a day, you can either cast the two 1st levels or the one 2nd level. The spells cannot be changed no matter what afterwards. What do you suggest I use?

P.S. I'm a bard so something from that spell list.

Are you allowed to pick any spells? What is the process (in game) to get the spells into the amulet?

It seems weird to me that you could put spells you don't know into the item unless you find someone to cast them or something. If that's the case it may change your available choices.

Townopolis
2014-11-16, 08:10 PM
First question: can you have one character store the spells then hand the amulet to a second character and have them use the amulet to cast said stored spells from there onward?

MrUberGr
2014-11-16, 08:12 PM
No, you have to know the spell store it. However, you don't have to know it to cast it. In order to store it, you cast the spell into the amulet. Yeah I guess I could find someone to store spells into the amulet, but I'm pretty sure that's not how the DM intended it to be used. :smallamused:

First question: can you have one character store the spells then hand the amulet to a second character and have them use the amulet to cast said stored spells from there onward?

Not sure. I'm pretty sure he thinks of it as something "bound" to the person who stores the spells in it, or something like that.

Townopolis
2014-11-16, 08:24 PM
In that case, the amulet is just some extra spell slots restricted to spells you know you'll need every day. Due to the way bard spells known works, you're stuck filling it with spells you have access to any time anyways, so just stick with the spells you will probably need any give/every day.

Cure Wounds, Healing Word, Bane, Heroism, & Dissonant Whispers could all work for the 1st level spells. Cloud of Daggers, Heat Metal, Phantasmal Force, or Invisibility could all work for the 2nd level spell.

Because of the either/or nature, I would try to get the most commonly useful level 2 spell in place and use the level 1 spells as backups for those occasions when the level 2 isn't relevant (i.e. Heat Metal when you encounter enemies who don't wear metal armor).

Safety Sword
2014-11-16, 09:08 PM
No, you have to know the spell store it. However, you don't have to know it to cast it. In order to store it, you cast the spell into the amulet. Yeah I guess I could find someone to store spells into the amulet, but I'm pretty sure that's not how the DM intended it to be used. :smallamused:

Not sure. I'm pretty sure he thinks of it as something "bound" to the person who stores the spells in it, or something like that.

That would seem to limit the item to get being a battery of slots for spells you already know, so I don't think there are any choices to make...

MrUberGr
2014-11-16, 09:19 PM
Given that the bard is allowed to retrain a spell known every level, then I could get something I would cast once or twice a day that I normally wouldn't. :smallwink:

Safety Sword
2014-11-16, 09:58 PM
Given that the bard is allowed to retrain a spell known every level, then I could get something I would cast once or twice a day that I normally wouldn't. :smallwink:

So, my statement remains. You should pick a spell that you find the most useful. Because you have to have it as a known spell to put it in the amulet and then you can replace it later.

Considering you can choose your spells from the bard list when you level, you should just choose useful spells that that are useful sometimes.