PDA

View Full Version : quick question

maniacalmojo
2014-11-16, 08:36 PM
If you get +AC from two sources that use the same stat do they stack?

Such as swordsage2+monk2 which both offer wisdom to AC

Extra Anchovies
2014-11-16, 08:37 PM
In 3.5, yes. In Pathfinder, no.

Venger
2014-11-16, 08:37 PM
If you get +AC from two sources that use the same stat do they stack?

Such as swordsage2+monk2 which both offer wisdom to AC

they stack if they are not of the same type. (except dodge bonuses, which always stack)

monk and swordsage AC bonus are both untyped, so they stack.

Extra Anchovies
2014-11-16, 08:38 PM
Also, we have a thread for this sort of one-and-done question. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?367727-Simple-Raw-Thread-for-3-5-28)

Kelb_Panthera
2014-11-16, 08:46 PM
I think that particular instance doesn't work though. IIRC swordsage's ac bonus specifies that it does not stack with monk's in its descriptive text. (double checking)

Venger
2014-11-16, 08:53 PM
I think that particular instance doesn't work though. IIRC swordsage's ac bonus specifies that it does not stack with monk's in its descriptive text. (double checking)

no, it does not:

Starting at 2nd level, you can add your Wisdom
modifi er as a bonus to Armor Class, so long as you wear light
armor, are unencumbered, and do not use a shield. This
bonus to AC applies even against touch attacks or when you
are fl at-footed. However, you lose this bonus when you are
immobilized or helpless.

Kelb_Panthera
2014-11-16, 08:58 PM
no, it does not:

So it doesn't. Must be thinking of some other AC bonus class feature of a similar nature.

Venger
2014-11-16, 09:02 PM
So it doesn't. Must be thinking of some other AC bonus class feature of a similar nature.

I'm not sure. a cursory glance at the list of stuff and x stat to y bonus doesn't tip me off to what you might've been thinking of (might be because of the tragically broken tables)

everything similar that springs to mind still stacks, like factotum's cunning dodge or battledancer's AC bonus

do you maybe remember what ability it was? it might've been one of the weird OA classes like witch hunter or shou disciple or something.

Kelb_Panthera
2014-11-16, 09:07 PM
I'm not sure. a cursory glance at the list of stuff and x stat to y bonus doesn't tip me off to what you might've been thinking of (might be because of the tragically broken tables)

everything similar that springs to mind still stacks, like factotum's cunning dodge or battledancer's AC bonus

do you maybe remember what ability it was? it might've been one of the weird OA classes like witch hunter or shou disciple or something.

Sorry, no. I have large portions of the system committed to memory but my ability to sort through that isn't quite encyclopedic. Good enough to let me reference things pretty quickly but not enough to recreate any splats or anything like that.

Venger
2014-11-16, 09:11 PM
Sorry, no. I have large portions of the system committed to memory but my ability to sort through that isn't quite encyclopedic. Good enough to let me reference things pretty quickly but not enough to recreate any splats or anything like that.

that's cool. I know what you mean. my philosophy's generally been to store my knowledge in a cloud, so rather than remember precisely what page murderous mist is on or whatever, I compile lists of resources that have stuff I need, like remembering what's in what handbook and such. it saves a lot of time.