PDA

View Full Version : ogre pc question

Shadowscale
2014-11-17, 12:02 AM
Using the savage species levels and LA buy off would it be a workable con concept to play a full ogre chainfighter or maybe an uber charger barbarian? Would losing those levels to the race and LA be that bad to the character?

Thinking enlarge person permanency would make an awesome barbarian chieftain pc.

torrasque666
2014-11-17, 12:05 AM
Thinking enlarge person permanency would make an awesome barbarian chieftain pc.
Just gonna get this out of the way: Ogres are Giants, not Humanoids, and thus not a valid target for EP. Expansion(basically the psionic version) is all good though.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-11-17, 12:20 AM
Half-Ogre in Races of Destiny has a +2 LA and no racial HD, so you wouldn't be wasting four levels on it.

Jeff the Green
2014-11-17, 12:36 AM
Giant RHD kind of sucks. Like, worse than any primary melee class I can think of: d8, medium BAB, and Good Fortitude. And you don't get much for it: +10 Strength, -2 Dexterity, +4 Con, -4 Intelligence, -4 Charisma, +5 natural armor, Dark/low-light vision, and... that's about it. I'd probably play it over a Fighter 4, but it wouldn't be a no-brainer.

Shadowscale
2014-11-17, 12:47 AM
Giant RHD kind of sucks. Like, worse than any primary melee class I can think of: d8, medium BAB, and Good Fortitude. And you don't get much for it: +10 Strength, -2 Dexterity, +4 Con, -4 Intelligence, -4 Charisma, +5 natural armor, Dark/low-light vision, and... that's about it. I'd probably play it over a Fighter 4, but it wouldn't be a no-brainer.

How would you go about playing it then?

Jeff the Green
2014-11-17, 01:09 AM
How would you go about playing it then?

You mean as-is? Um, maybe an A-game paladin (http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/3407376) or Crusader. The former doesn't actually use Charisma and the latter doesn't really need it. RHD 4/Warblade 1/Crusader 15 (Warblade is for the save-replacing Diamond Mind maneuvers).

For the concept, I'd either use the half-ogre template, as mentioned, or refluff half-giant, eneko, or goliath, buy off the LA, and take whatever melee classes I felt like.

Phelix-Mu
2014-11-17, 03:45 AM
I've been toying with the idea of adding the Giant type to the types that get BAB=HD. I mean, giants are supposed to be combat powerhouses, but they can barely toe the line with their preponderance of (currently terrible) RHD. It can be mitigated in the existing rules, but the classic gamer in me really starts to feel the vibe when the giants are swinging equal to dragons and demons (though the type will still be strictly inferior to both Outsiders and Dragons...at least it would now be better than humanoid, lol).