PDA

View Full Version : i need a massive combat system (ex: dynasty warriors but dice version)

lord4571
2014-11-17, 04:08 AM
ive been trying to find a massive combat system to use for a dynasty warriors/samurai warriors/sengoku basara heros game but my only problem is I cant find a system to use for it. ive been looking for pdfs different forums and here and I cant find any. if any one has a massive combat system already made and its free to look at post a link down below.
and if you've looked for the same thing and couldn't find one that has at least a massive combat system let me know as well below so I know that I wont be able to find such a system online.

Nicol Bolas
2014-11-17, 08:50 AM
You basically need something that allows for hack-n-slash in tabletop form. Offhand, I don't know of anything like that.

However, another game I know of with a bigger fanbase that overlaps the D&D fanbase is Diablo II, and I can't imagine someone hasn't tried a conversion.

What you could do is try and track down a decent Diablo II -> D&D conversion and then convert THAT conversion.

Basically, a system like that would be very dependent on AC, enemies with low HP-to-player damage ratios, and incredibly lethal.

You should be capable of destroying 20-30 monsters in a turn or two easily, perhaps without taking damage, unless their attack values are reliable enough to hit your AC.

aspekt
2014-12-30, 09:57 AM
If you're just looking to play 3.5 Dynasty Warriors style you could do a basic homebrew tweak.

Give everyone Greater Cleave.

Increase BAB and number of attacks.

Then buff player AC and/or debuff npc AC.

Could do the same with npc HD versus player/group level.

Almarck
2014-12-30, 11:16 AM
Or if you want to simulate large combat without overloading on the number of dice rolls and creatures, there's the possibility of treating large groups of enemies despite being people sized as a "Swarm" with only important characters such as minibosses would be independant from the swarm.

Essentially, you characters are level 10, and facing piles level 1s that are so inconsequential on their own, they have to line up in formations just to even be relevant. also, this allows you to have a your NPCs outnumber 10 to 1, without having to spend so much longer on your turn with 50 attack rolls.

A large group of enemies is more or less a blob with different parts that share movement speed and hitpoints. the blob can change its shape to fit the terrain. For simplicity, make the large group of enemies automatically make a single, really big attack against everyone within range, so you don't need to roll like 10 dice every turn.

Hitpoints could be used to mean morale, or actual hit points. Obviously, splash damage based attacks do more damage to the big groups. Cleave might need some modification though.

steelsmiter
2014-12-31, 12:06 AM
I got one over on the GM's Corner of Elliquiy.

redwizard007
2015-01-01, 04:58 PM
Alternative option, use minion style opponents from d&d 4.0. They do decent damage but any attack that hits them is an instant kill. Then encourage PCs to find ways to gain extra attacks or area effect melee attacks. You could really just dummy up a few feats to fill the gaps.

Ziegander
2015-01-01, 05:17 PM
5th Edition's "Cleave through Enemies" alternate rule seems a good place to start, and could work especially well with Tome of Battle's single, high-damaging attacks. Basically, whenever you deal enough damage to drop an enemy, if your attack could also hit another adjacent target you deal the remaining damage to that target. If you drop that second target, you can continue cleaving into adjacent targets as long as your attack roll is still good and you still have damage left over.

Add in some variant of 4E's minions, or just hordes of lesser foes, or both, and you're well on your way.

big teej
2015-01-01, 11:19 PM
ive been trying to find a massive combat system to use for a dynasty warriors/samurai warriors/sengoku basara heros game but my only problem is I cant find a system to use for it. ive been looking for pdfs different forums and here and I cant find any. if any one has a massive combat system already made and its free to look at post a link down below.
and if you've looked for the same thing and couldn't find one that has at least a massive combat system let me know as well below so I know that I wont be able to find such a system online.

I don't know how helpful this will be... but if you need this for a 'set piece' battle or something similar, I'm a huge fan of the Mass Combat rules from Savage Worlds.

if you want something a bit more akin to standard combat... I've always been a fan of treating massive blocks of troops as single units (using the mob or swarm rules)

if a mob/swarm/unit is destroyed, it breaks up/is routed/whatever. and the unit is either completely slain, or shattered beyond all effectiveness and the survivors quit the field.

Grod_The_Giant
2015-01-01, 11:45 PM
Or if you want to simulate large combat without overloading on the number of dice rolls and creatures, there's the possibility of treating large groups of enemies despite being people sized as a "Swarm" with only important characters such as minibosses would be independant from the swarm.

if you want something a bit more akin to standard combat... I've always been a fan of treating massive blocks of troops as single units (using the mob or swarm rules)
+1 to this. I've used these rules (http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2hjp8?Military-Unit-by-template)before with great success.

As for systems with specific mass combat rules... Mutants and Masterminds does about the same thing as the above link (treating each formation of soldiers as a single creature). I know Exalted has thorough rules for mass combat, though I don't know how good they are.