PDA

View Full Version : Looking for RHoD adaption/conversion. Anyone know?

Vintrastorm
2014-11-17, 08:59 AM
Hi, I have a semi-ongoing RHOD (Red Hand of Doom, a Dnd 3.5ed. adventure) campaign and now I am wondering if anyone have played/DM:ed a 5ed variant or have any tips on where to find some converted/adapted stuff/ideas.

/ Jonis

Madfellow
2014-11-17, 09:35 AM
That depends. What is RHoD?

Scirocco
2014-11-17, 01:41 PM
Take the original adventure, use the new MM to replace creature statblocks, then tweak encounters as necessary. Magic items might require a little finagling, but otherwise most adventure paths/modules should run pretty well with 5th's RAW.

Dhavaer
2014-11-17, 03:14 PM

Red Hand of Doom.

Vintrastorm
2014-11-17, 07:48 PM

Good catch. I adjusted the original post accordingly. :)

Freelance GM
2014-11-24, 03:51 PM
I haven't... But I thought about converting it a few months ago. Seems like it would fit in really well with the whole Tyranny of Dragons thing.

One thing to be wary of: I converted select bits of Expedition to Castle Ravenloft, and the difficulty of the adventure plummeted because of nerfs made to the monsters. A particular fight with Baligura Demons would have been absolutely lethal in 3.5, because back then Demons could teleport, and the Baligura's strategy for that fight was basically to grapple, teleport, and slam dunk the PC from 2000 feet above Castle Ravenloft. They can't teleport in 5E, and so the fight became pretty pathetically easy.

Watch out for similar problems in RHoD- as well as other changes in creature's abilities.
The good news is that RHoD has a lot fewer unique monsters than in Expedition to Castle Ravenloft, so that's a lot less of a headache, since you basically can pull most of them out of the 5E MM. Still, I feel like this might come up with the Wyrmlords, but especially the "Druid Lich" Ghostlord.
Basically, when you convert them, don't just adapt them to 5E- make sure they can still do everything their 3.5 counterpart could, even if it involves fudging some things, or modifying the CR.

Also remember that low-level monsters still pose a threat to higher-level PC's in 5E- the swarms of Hobgoblins might actually be able to overpower and defeat the players, even towards the finale of the adventure.

Good luck, though! I've always wanted to run this one, but I haven't had the right group for it.