PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Oracle questions

RogueWizard
2014-11-17, 10:08 AM
I am playing an oracle in a pathfinder game who is both dual cursed and has the time mystery. I have a few questions pertaining to how some of his abilities work.

The first and the biggest is his dual cursed revelation "Misfortune"
"Misfortune (Ex): At 1st level, as an immediate action, you can force a creature within 30 feet to reroll any one d20 roll that it has just made before the results of the roll are revealed. The creature must take the result of the reroll, even if it’s worse than the original roll. Once a creature has suffered from your misfortune, it cannot be the target of this revelation again for 1 day."
As I read it I can force a reroll without knowing anything about the original roll. I don't get to know the result first, and therefore don't know if it succeeds and as per usual I don't get to look at the dice rolls made by the DM. This means the ability is completely useless as my reroll has just as much chance as helping as it does hindering.
The possible solutions to this are
- seeing what the roll of the creature is before using the ability without knowing any of his modifiers. This seems the most likely giving the wording, but messes with the uncertainty of the game.
- Being told the result, and then forcing a reroll. This seems to be the least broken way of resolving the issue, while still mostly following what the ability says
- Rewriting the ability to be force a creature to roll twice and take the lesser result. This is completely different than what the text says but resolves all issues of the ability

Second question would be can I use this to benefit my allies? An ally rolls a nat 1, force him to reroll. With either of the first two solutions being the case it would imply that I can use this to aid my allies once per day. However, this directly contradicts the name and purpose of the ability. The third solution would again fix this loophole, but does it really need to be closed? So, thoughts on this ability and what we should do with it?

Question 3
"Erase from Time (Su): As a melee touch attack, you can temporarily remove a creature from time altogether. The target creature must make a Fortitude save or vanish completely for a number of rounds equal to 1/2 your oracle level (minimum 1 round). No magic or divinations can detect the creature during this time, as it exists outside of time and space—in effect, the creature ceases to exist for the duration of this ability. At the end of the duration, the creature reappears unharmed in the space it last occupied (or the nearest possible space, if the original space is now occupied). You can use this ability once per day, plus one additional time per day at 11th level."
This is another ability I have, however, it is not detailed enough. I want to use it creatively, and let me give a couple example.
Example 1, disappear an enemy, aim a crossbow where his head would appear, and shoot him the moment he returns. Now this may not be allowable as there is nothing that says he appears exactly as he left, however I should still be able to ready an attack to hit him right? Does his initiative reset when he returns? Is he flat-footed? My guess is no, but I want to ask to make sure.

Question 4
"Time Sight (Su): You can peer through the mists of time to see things as they truly are, as if using the true seeing spell. At 15th level, this functions like moment of prescience. At 18th level, this functions like foresight. You can use this ability for a number of minutes per day equal to your oracle level, but these minutes do not need to be consecutive. You must be at least 11th level to select this revelation."
This ability is interesting for a couple reasons. One is that it lasts so many minutes per day, but each ability is incredibly different. Do I get the effects of all three spells once i reach 18th level? Do I get to choose one to use at a time? Do I only get foresight and can never again use it's true seeing effect?
The second issue is that moment of prescience has an expendable ability that ends the effect. Does that mean I forfeit the ability to use the revelation for the rest of the day once that effect is activated?

Any and all help/clarification would be appreciated.

TerrickTerran
2014-11-17, 11:48 AM
Well I can help with 3 of those....
Misfortune....the 2nd seems to work out well. The third solution also works.
The description seems to allow an ally to roll as it simply says a creature, and your ally would qualify as that. Definitely a creative use.

The last question.......depends on the DM. Personally, I'd say you get each but as written could be taken as they replace each other (which is bad)

RogueWizard
2014-11-17, 03:57 PM
Most likely going to alter misfortune to be take the lesser of two rules to balance it out. As for the erase from time, going to treat it as a creature entering combat. If an action is readied we can get a surprise round basically, but he isn't flat footed and no free crits. Setting up traps is possible though.

The last ability still confuses me greatly

TerrickTerran
2014-11-17, 03:58 PM
Honestly, just play it as getting each spell. Seems the simplest IMO.