PDA

View Full Version : Outlander Personality Trait 4 RP

Socko525
2014-11-17, 10:21 AM
"4-I have a lesson for every situation, drawn from observing nature."

I chose this as one of my personality traits and would love some input on the RP side of it. I interpret this as having "zen style" sayings about every situation (Mr. Miyagi style) but nature based.

My character is a very laid back/chill paladin, so I like the idea of him hanging back and then using these nature observation lines as his contribution to the party's discussion.

So what I'm looking for is some nature based observation lines that I can just have on hand to use as needed. Again I'm going for a Mr. Miyagi/Uncle Iroh/Iron Fist style lines.

So far I've only got one line that I've thought of, for use when two of the PC's or a PC and a NPC get into an argument:

"A tornado becomes a gentle breeze, only as temperatures begin to cool." So basically an argument breaks out, my character walks up, puts his hand on the aruging character's shoulders, delivers this line...and then walks away.

Any other lines you all can think of would be greatly appreciated!

Gnomes2169
2014-11-17, 11:11 AM
"Though a tempest may rip the leaves from a tree, when it fades the leaves have a new home."

"One bird might sing, but two birds perform."

"Only a raven's wings are faster than dark tides."

"Your chickens have hatched. Don't count them yet."

"Only a fool ignores the wolf's cry."

"Red in the morning light. Blood will be spilled tonight."

"I'm being mysterious? Well at least a tree isn't growing in my ***." ((Only if there is a Miko in the party))

Socko525
2014-11-17, 12:05 PM
Awesome! This is exactly what I'm looking for!

JAL_1138
2014-11-17, 01:23 PM
"Water takes the path of least resistance, yet it can tear down mountains and turn swords to rust."

"Only a fool fears appearing foolish when he is right."

"A wheel with but one spoke soon breaks that spoke, and then the cart. There is strength in numbers."

"If you do not carry a ten-foot pole, how can you refuse to touch something with it? Do not excuse fear by a lack of preparedness."

"You can scarcely see a candle-flame at noon, yet at midnight it is blinding to look upon. In the deepest darkness, a spark will ignite the sun."

"Moss finds the north without thought. Men think, and become lost."

"Rivers know the way to civilization."

"A tree that grows too tall and too proud soon draws the lightning's attention."

"Cave bears usually live in caves. Phrased this way it sounds foolish, a pointless tautology. However, examine it in a mirror--caves are often inhabited by cave bears. Now it is a warning to heed. Dismiss nothing until you have looked at it from other angles."

Sartharina
2014-11-17, 01:29 PM
Bleh... so many of these things are wrong/incorrect/overly-convoluted/stupidly metaphorical (And incorrect).

Common sense, and actual observations are better.

Life lives at the expense of life.

Gnomes2169
2014-11-17, 01:42 PM
Bleh... so many of these things are wrong/incorrect/overly-convoluted/stupidly metaphorical (And incorrect).

Common sense, and actual observations are better.

Life lives at the expense of life.

I... Thought this was the point? It's an old wise man just saying **** randomly to be mysterious and sound wise, it doesn't exactly have to be scientifically accurate. For example:

"While a cat always lands on its feet, it does not always survive the fall."

I can tell you from experience that cats do not always land on their feet. However, while the phrase is tautology (a large enough fall kills anything outside of D&D land... And ants/ other small bugs. Because the tiny things don't have a high enough terminal velocity to break their exoskeleton), it's a wise old dude way of saying, "Even if you are certain about success, look before you leap."

The first way of saying things adds intrigue and authority. The second one is much more authoritative, but boring. It's just an example of how a little bit of properly pulled off tautology/ inaccuracy helps make a character more fun for some people.

And it is the way the OP is trying to direct the character, so I see no harm in helping him/ her/ they/ them/ it/ the collective (being on a phone and not being able to see these things sucks) out.

JAL_1138
2014-11-17, 01:57 PM
I... Thought this was the point? It's an old wise man just saying **** randomly to be mysterious and sound wise, it doesn't exactly have to be scientifically accurate. For example:

"While a cat always lands on its feet, it does not always survive the fall."

I can tell you from experience that cats do not always land on their feet. However, while the phrase is tautology (a large enough fall kills anything outside of D&D land... And ants/ other small bugs. Because the tiny things don't have a high enough terminal velocity to break their exoskeleton), it's a wise old dude way of saying, "Even if you are certain about success, look before you leap."

The first way of saying things adds intrigue and authority. The second one is much more authoritative, but boring. It's just an example of how a little bit of properly pulled off tautology/ inaccuracy helps make a character more fun for some people.

And it is the way the OP is trying to direct the character, so I see no harm in helping him/ her/ they/ them/ it/ the collective (being on a phone and not being able to see these things sucks) out.

Ditto, I thought random old mysterious overly-metaphorical was the point. I mean, I could say "Don't split the party, always carry weapons of the three main damage types, check for traps, always consider the logistics of taking loot back with you, and never trust a free drink," but I figured that wasn't what the OP was after.

GorinichSerpant
2014-11-17, 02:23 PM
Speaking of don't split the party,
"A single twig breaks easily, a bundle of twigs won't snap no matter how much you bend it."

Socko525
2014-11-17, 02:30 PM
Ditto, I thought random old mysterious overly-metaphorical was the point. I mean, I could say "Don't split the party, always carry weapons of the three main damage types, check for traps, always consider the logistics of taking loot back with you, and never trust a free drink," but I figured that wasn't what the OP was after.

Yup, you hit the nail on the head. Mysterious and overly-metaphorical is my goal, this is great stuff. The back of my character sheet is full of these one liners now. I can't wait for next game

Easy_Lee
2014-11-17, 02:36 PM
Man who walks with hand in pocket feels cocky.

Gnomes2169
2014-11-17, 02:37 PM
"You cannot have a forest without first planting seeds."

"A vine can choke just as easily as it can snare."

"A bear is never more fierce than when she guards her young."

"Two squirrels arguing draws in the hawk."

"If a tree falls in the forest, then- oh **** that's a dragon."

Gnomes2169
2014-11-17, 02:38 PM
Man who walks with hand in pocket feels cocky.

Oh that Confucius. What a joker he was.

Sartharina
2014-11-17, 02:43 PM
Ditto, I thought random old mysterious overly-metaphorical was the point. I mean, I could say "Don't split the party, always carry weapons of the three main damage types, check for traps, always consider the logistics of taking loot back with you, and never trust a free drink," but I figured that wasn't what the OP was after.What do any of your quotes have to do with nature?

"The lion you see is not the threat"
"The parrot's beak crushes the nut"
*Point to a massive, intact tree* "That is only half the tree."

McBars
2014-11-17, 03:16 PM
"Man who farts in church sits in his own pew."

"The greatest Hunter is himself a wary beast."

"**** always flows downhill."

"Sometimes it's better to watch a ****tree grow than to try to shake the ****fruit out of it."

"When you keep getting pelted with ****balls, you've got to get a ****bat."

"When you plant ****seeds you get ****weeds."

JAL_1138
2014-11-17, 03:53 PM
What do any of your quotes have to do with nature?

"The lion you see is not the threat"
"The parrot's beak crushes the nut"
*Point to a massive, intact tree* "That is only half the tree."

Ok, some of them don't. Lightning strikes the tallest tree, moss grows on the north side of rocks (and a don't overthink things addendum), water wears down mountains, those do. Follow rivers to reach settlements or find lost ruins is arguable, as is the one what light looks dim at noon is bright at night.

The bit with cave bears was a joke on 4E's "Bear Lore," knowledge check meme, one of which actually is "cave bears live in caves."

The point is wise-old-man aphorisms with metaphorical meanings. I like yours about the lion and the tree, though I'm missing the metaphor in the parrot one (it's probably obvious and I'm just derping out).

Sartharina
2014-11-17, 04:01 PM
I put that one in there, but forgot the other half. It's essentially stating the value of using something thick and sturdy to crack tough things, instead of something quick, agile, but flimsy.

JAL_1138
2014-11-17, 04:49 PM
I put that one in there, but forgot the other half. It's essentially stating the value of using something thick and sturdy to crack tough things, instead of something quick, agile, but flimsy.

Ah, sort of saying "Go for the flanged mace against the skeleton, not the rapier." Makes sense.

Sartharina
2014-11-18, 01:57 AM
Ah, sort of saying "Go for the flanged mace against the skeleton, not the rapier." Makes sense.Actually this one's more emphasizing the value of party members with good sustained damage and high survivability against relentless, resilient opponents (With the other half emphasizing the value of nova-capable skirmishers against flimsier, harder-hitting or skirmish-capable foes).

Mace against Skeleton would be "While claws may rend flesh, hooves will shatter bone"

And... a few more. Including one from Thundercats: "Reeds are weak, it binds other wood!"

"Vines can pull down trees" (This one needs better phrasing to indicate a vine's inability to stand on its own)

"The mightiest of finch cannot stand against the feeblest hawk" - Essentially a warning to try besting a monster at it's strength. Such as trying to solo-melee the Tarrasque as a high-level Barbarian or Fighter.

Mrmox42
2014-11-18, 08:21 AM
Hmm, I used to play a character who said a lot like that.

Lets see:

"Even the sharpest of swords can have dull stretches"

"A man with no soul is no man at all"

"Power is fickle. Seek it at your own peril"

"My uncle was surprised by an ankheg. Now he is my aunt"

"Following your nose is easy. Following a fool can be easier still"

"Fear not slowness. Fear stillness"

"A bearhug is not to be sought"

"Fight when ready. Flee when not. When in doubt, flee"

"A good horse is preferable to a good mule"

:smallsmile:

Freelance GM
2014-11-18, 09:18 AM
A gameplay pun, perhaps?

"The experience is its own reward."

JAL_1138
2014-11-18, 10:15 AM
Can't believe this one isn't up here yet: "Even a blind squirrel sometimes finds a nut."

Theodoxus
2014-11-18, 10:40 AM
Need some The Spinx all up in here!

"He who questions training only trains himself at asking questions."

"When you can balance a tack hammer on your head, you will head off your foes with a balanced attack."

"When you care what is outside, what is inside cares for you."

"You must be like wolf pack, not six-pack."

"You must lash out with every limb, like the octopus who plays the drums."

"To learn my teachings, I must first teach you how to learn."

Gnomes2169
2014-11-18, 10:48 AM
Can't believe this one isn't up here yet: "Even a blind squirrel sometimes finds a nut."

"Only when you're in the forest, old man. Now take a bath!"

Shining Wrath
2014-11-18, 10:59 AM
"The locust has no commander, yet they advance in ranks"

"As soon disturb the badger in his lair as the wizard preparing his spells"

"When giants dance, the grass suffers"

"The snake eats the mouse, and the hawk eats the snake, and the mouse eats the hawk's eggs"

Easy_Lee
2014-11-18, 11:06 AM
A lion this way comes. Quickly, into the caravan!

Sartharina
2014-11-18, 11:15 AM
A lion this way comes [Insert Nature Deity of Choice] has sent us a lion! Quickly, into the caravan!
Fixed for you :smalltongue:

JAL_1138
2014-11-18, 11:35 AM
"Only when you're in the forest, old man. Now take a bath!"

Hehe, nice :smalltongue:

"Giant Frogs do not eat porcupines."

"No bird ever flew on one wing."

"Rotting lilies smell worse than weeds."

"If you cut the head off a viper, its head still has one bite left."

"An acorn holds a forest in it."

"It is not a fish until it is on the bank."

"It is not the cry, but the flight, of the wild duck that leads the flock to follow it."

"A bluejay does not rob its own nest."

"When the mouse laughs at the cat, there is a hole nearby."

Socko525
2014-11-18, 01:10 PM
A gameplay pun, perhaps?

"The experience is its own reward."

This will definitely get some use. My group seems to be heavily loot driven, so I can see many opportunities for this to come up.

And thank you all so much! This thread has gone above and beyond my expectations, it's going to be great to have so much to pull from!

cylofe
2014-11-18, 03:22 PM
Somehow I thought of Pocahontas quotes. Ohhh the puns you can play with them songs, especially if your laid back paladin likes to sing.

http://www.fpx.de/fp/Disney/Lyrics/Pocahontas.html

For example, when doing a repetitive boring task, you might burst out singing

"What I love most about rivers is:
You can't step in the same river twice
The water's always changing, always flowing"

When people make fun of you for being a savage outlander, you can sing
"You think I'm an ignorant savage
And you've been so many places
I guess it must be so
But still I cannot see
If the savage one is me
Now can there be so much that you don't know?"

Haha :)

Socko525
2014-11-18, 03:59 PM
Somehow I thought of Pocahontas quotes. Ohhh the puns you can play with them songs, especially if your laid back paladin likes to sing.

http://www.fpx.de/fp/Disney/Lyrics/Pocahontas.html

For example, when doing a repetitive boring task, you might burst out singing

"What I love most about rivers is:
You can't step in the same river twice
The water's always changing, always flowing"

When people make fun of you for being a savage outlander, you can sing
"You think I'm an ignorant savage
And you've been so many places
I guess it must be so
But still I cannot see
If the savage one is me
Now can there be so much that you don't know?"

Haha :)

As an outlander I do have proficiency with a musical instrument. In this case, a lyre. Also having taken the Oath of the Ancients, that fits pretty well actually.

Hell the Preserve Your Own Light tenant has delight in song right in it!

Easy_Lee
2014-11-18, 04:02 PM
As an outlander I do have proficiency with a musical instrument. In this case, a lyre. Also having taken the Oath of the Ancients, that fits pretty well actually.

Hell the Preserve Your Own Light tenant has delight in song right in it!

Might be fun to play an acoustic version of the Lion King's Circle of Life anytime you're about to sing a song of nature's truths.

Mrmox42
2014-11-19, 02:39 AM
Good heavens! This is becoming Disney D&D!!! :smalleek: :smallsmile:

Socko525
2014-11-19, 09:17 AM
Good heavens! This is becoming Disney D&D!!! :smalleek: :smallsmile:

Haha, well now my goal is to try and pull this off in as subtle a manner as possible. Either way I think my table will get a kick out of it.