PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Pistol-whipping Gunslinger

Qc Storm
2014-11-17, 05:28 PM
After seeing the half-orc's favored class bonus for gunslingers (1/3 attack bonus on pistol-whip), I've begun wondering the feasibility of a dumb, melee-focused gunslinger orc. The level 3 Pistol whip deed allows a single attack as a standard action, with two-handed firearms sporting a decent 1d10 damage, and offering a free trip attempt. Improved Trip is a given here. Plus you even have ranged weapon on-hand for those hard to reach targets.

What could be done to make this decent? Extra Grit seems necessary if going full Orc, but then again Half-Orc might be best, you lose out on 2 STR, but dont give up a whopping 2 in every mental score. Would make grabbing Combat Expertise pretty hard, too. Thankfully Gunslinger is a full-BAB class with high HP, and doesn't seem to mind heavy armor.

Since we only really need 3 levels in the class, multiclass seems necessary, what should it be?

And how can we redeem the lack of full attack?

Snowbluff
2014-11-17, 05:38 PM
Hm...

Cornugan Smash?

Imp Trip?

If Warlord is allowed, I'd use it for an extra attack.

TheIronGolem
2014-11-17, 05:58 PM
I'd take Improved Unarmed Strike (or dip a punchy class), fluff your "unarmed" attacks as pistol whips, and save on the grit. Pistol Whip will still be there for those occasions where a free trip is worth paying a grit point and forgoing any other attacks.

(Un)Inspired
2014-11-17, 06:33 PM
I would make a drunken master that uses his pistol as an improvised weapon.

That way you can be a drunken loose cannon cop who plays by his own rules. (Also possibly one day away from retirement).

grarrrg
2014-11-17, 09:16 PM
Would make grabbing Combat Expertise pretty hard, too.

Since we only really need 3 levels in the class, multiclass seems necessary, what should it be?

As far as Combat Expertise and friends go, there are a few options:
Siege Gunner (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/gunslinger/archetypes/paizo---gunslinger-archetypes/siege-gunner-gunslinger-archetype) Gunslinger uses INT instead of WIS for Grit, so 13 shouldn't be an issue.
1 level of Swashbuckler lets you use CHA instead of INT for Combat Feat reqs. Pair with Mysterious Stranger and you're good to go.
1 level of Brawler lets you say "uh-durrrr, I has 13 NIT for FEET!", and also works nicely for that "just reflavor it" plan of IronGolem's.

Improved Trip is a given here.

As written, it is NOT actually a Trip-attempt. It is a generic Combat Maneuver that happens to drop the target Prone if successful.
Rules quibbling I know, but there may be other implications.