PDA

View Full Version : Spells worth picking up for a Magus in a 3.P game

Katana1515
2014-11-17, 06:05 PM
Hello All!

Me and my group of trusty roleplay companions are looking to start a fairly high level 3.5 game pretty soon (level 14 with a view to hitting epic levels). Its predominantly a 3.5 game but we allow PF stuff on a case by case basis and I have been wanting to take the magus for a spin for ages.

Anyway the overall build is for a Str magus, wearing heavy armour, with the inevitable keen scimitar.

My main query is that while the Magus spell list is very solid, it would seem remiss of me not to take advantage of the wealth of opportunities that are available to me from the 3.5 sorc/wiz list via the Spell Blending Arcana. However its been a while since I have played anything other than PF, so I thought I would throw it open to the wiser heads here in the playground to suggest some interesting picks. Predominantly looking for powerful touch spells I suppose, but I am considering taking the Arcana that allows you to turn ranged touch attacks into ordinary touch attacks, so recommendations of Ray spells are also good. Good round per level/minute long buffs are also in demand as I find these synergise really well with Spell Combat.

Any other good tips or tricks for playing a Magus at this level, with access to 3.5 material as well is also welcome. (unfortunately my group has already cracked down hard on metamagic reducers, sigh the things I could do combining Arcane Thesis and Spell Perfection).

Thanks for your time!

Kane0
2014-11-17, 08:04 PM
Lets see...

Corrosive grasp (alternative to shocking)
Orb spells (using that ranged touch to touch arcana)
Belker Claws (decent damage, iterates on later rounds)
Melf's Unicorn Arrow (damage + bull rush attempts)
Night's Caress (CON damage)
Spectral Touch (negative levels and temp HP)
Rusting Grasp possibly too, break down enemy gear

Any of those take your fancy?

meemaas
2014-11-18, 10:15 AM
The Bite of the X spells are a nice choice too.

Katana1515
2014-11-18, 01:25 PM
Thanks for the quick replies guys!

Mind if i ask for a source for Nights Caress and Melfs Unicorn Arrow (they both sound awesome though XD)
Have been considering the Orb Spells too. SR no, damage scales nicely and some of the conditions are pretty awesome. Orb of Fire turned into an acid or cold attack via Elemental Substitution might be a good lvl 4 blast (daze is an awesome condition).

@meemaas I had totally forgot those spells existed! Let me pick my way through the spell compendium!

Anyway thanks for the suggestions! any more come to mind please keep me posted!

deuxhero
2014-11-18, 02:11 PM
This (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=7805704&postcount=10) list of Spell Compendium spells to put on the Duskblade list seems like it would have a fair amount of overlap.