PDA

View Full Version : Creating blaster Psion, please assist

JW86
2014-11-17, 06:54 PM
Hi play-grounders,

So my Druid met an early demise, time to reroll with a Level 2 Psion.
Limited to the Psionic information on SRD, plus anything from DMG, Tome of Magic, or.. nope, that's about it. :)

I would like to create a Psion focussing primarily on blasting, but with some utility also. I'm debating between going Kineticist, Shaper, or Telepath.

Kin for the Energy Missile, Shaper for the Astral Construct and Greater Concealing Amorpha, Telepath for the Schism and Dominate. Italicized powers being the main three I would like. In terms of skills, the Diplomacy from Telepath sure would be nice.

Starting at Level 2. Standard Magic-psionics rules (treated as same/transparent)

I would request some help with the following
1) Deciding which discipline to go with, and which powers to grab with Expanded Knowledge
2) Helping to order/time the selection of feats
3) Helping with power selection
4) Any advice on how to prepare for an undead and low visibility campaign?
5) Choosing between Gt. Concealing Amorpha, Inertial Armor, Share Pain/Vigor/Solicit Psicrystal for survivability.

I was lucky with rolls, 16 16 15 14 13 11.

Going Str 11, Dex 15, Con 16, Int 16, Wis 13, Cha 14 - I think that should be okay? :)

Human Psion.
Feats.

H - Psicrystal Affinity
1 - Overchannel
Psion 1 - Talented
3 - Psicrystal Containment
Psion 5 - Psionic Meditation
6 - Empower Power
9 - Extend Power
Psion 10 - Split Psionic Ray
12 - Widen Power

Leaves 4 feats open (2 at Level 15, 1 at 18, 1 at 20).

I would also like to get perhaps Craft Universal Item or Craft Dorje in there, perhaps Burrowing Power, and perhaps an Extended Knowledge or 2. Would anybody have any suggestions on how to order the feats?

Bearing in mind we are playing from Level 2 so preferably something playable/enjoyable in early game.

In terms of powers, a rough sketch looks something like this:

5 up to 1st - Energy Ray, Entangling Ectoplasm, Inertial Armor, Vigor
4 up to 2nd - Ego Whip, Energy Adaptation Specified, Levitate, Share Pain
4 up to 3rd - Dispel Psionics, Energy Wall, Solicit Psicrystal, Time Hop
4 up to 4th - Freedom of Movement, Intellect Fortress, Psychic Reformation, Telekinetic Maneuver
4 up to 5th - ?Incarnate,
3 up to 6th - Disintegrate, Retrieve
3 up to 7th - Energy wave, Mind Blank
3 up to 8th - True Metabolism
6 up to 9th

Although looking at this - Inertial Armor PLUS Vigor/Share Pain/Solicit Psicrystal might be a bit much? Especially if considering Greater Concealing Amorpha from Shaper list? I would certainly like to have *some* protection from being squished.

Going Psion 20, unless my DM allows me to go beyond SRD and get Anarchic Initiate involved.

Recommendations very welcome!

J

J-H
2014-11-17, 08:26 PM
Kineticist, and then grab Schism with an Expanded Knowledge feat.

The Kineticist level 9 power (Tornado Blast) is pretty decent, especially when twinned.

Rubik
2014-11-17, 08:33 PM
Kineticist, and then grab Schism with an Expanded Knowledge feat.

The Kineticist level 9 power (Tornado Blast) is pretty decent, especially when twinned.Kineticist has too many powers that overlap. You only really need two or three powers that deal direct damage (two AoEs of different shapes and a ranged touch attack), since they're basically all the same effect and scale all the way from level 1 on. A shaper could get all of those easily and still have a LOT of offensive, defensive, and utility powers to choose from, just from its discipline powers. Kineticist, not so much.