PDA

View Full Version : Are you my mummy?

Extra Anchovies
2014-11-17, 09:40 PM
What can we do, in 3.5 or Pathfinder, to make a mummy-related character, beyond taking 10 levels in Walker in the Waste? WitW-compatible (i.e. divine casting) stuff would be nice, but not necessary.

And, for the purpose of more general discussion, what's your favorite desert-related build/PrC/feat/spell? I'm personally a fan of Sand Shaper and Walker in the Waste (I wish there was a way to combine them), but I'm also a fan of Blessed by Tem-Et-Nu, which in addition to being really fun can be genuinely effective (Hippos make for pretty solid tanks, especially with proper template stacking (e.g. Horrid Magebred Warbeast Dustform Hippopotamus).

Venger
2014-11-17, 10:32 PM
What can we do, in 3.5 or Pathfinder, to make a mummy-related character, beyond taking 10 levels in Walker in the Waste? WitW-compatible (i.e. divine casting) stuff would be nice, but not necessary.

And, for the purpose of more general discussion, what's your favorite desert-related build/PrC/feat/spell? I'm personally a fan of Sand Shaper and Walker in the Waste (I wish there was a way to combine them), but I'm also a fan of Blessed by Tem-Et-Nu, which in addition to being really fun can be genuinely effective (Hippos make for pretty solid tanks, especially with proper template stacking (e.g. Horrid Magebred Warbeast Dustform Hippopotamus).

deadgrim gradually gives you an undeadish appearance (divine)

pale master grants undead immunities over 10 lvls (arcane)

bone knight gives moar undead immunities over 10 lvls (divine)

besides sand shaper and witw, which I also enjoy (there is: it's called southern magician) I like scorpion heritor. unlike things like casting which the designers love, it's frustratingly difficult to find anything like precision damage support, much less full SA.

that feat's my favorite since if you piss off tem et nu, you take damage as though bitten by a hippopotamus. the only feat whose presence can literally kill you. we did scion of tem et nu for iron chef a few years back.

atemu1234
2014-11-17, 10:44 PM
Deadgrim is anti-undead, hilariously.

Venger
2014-11-17, 10:48 PM
Deadgrim is anti-undead, hilariously.

such are the mysteries if (un)life

(Un)Inspired
2014-11-17, 10:50 PM
You could always be a necropolitan who dresses like a mummy. Who's really gonna call you on it, ya know?

atemu1234
2014-11-17, 10:51 PM
You could always be a necropolitan who dresses like a mummy. Who's really gonna call you on it, ya know?

That commoner didn't crumble to dust when you poked him! What manner of being are you?

Extra Anchovies
2014-11-17, 10:56 PM
(there is: it's called southern magician)

Oooh, great! Time to make a pharaoh-returned-to-life build (Cleric [Sand and Pride domains] 3/Walker in the Waste 10/Sand Shaper 7).

(Un)Inspired
2014-11-17, 10:56 PM
That commoner didn't crumble to dust when you poked him! What manner of being are you?

Just like in real life, you must be very careful who and when you poke.

atemu1234
2014-11-17, 10:59 PM
Just like in real life, you must be very careful who and when you poke.

And where.

(Un)Inspired
2014-11-17, 11:00 PM
And where.

Precisely. It's mummy imitation 101.

Venger
2014-11-17, 11:32 PM
Oooh, great! Time to make a pharaoh-returned-to-life build (Cleric [Sand and Pride domains] 3/Walker in the Waste 10/Sand Shaper 7).

excellent choice, pride domain is pretty sweet. are you going for the planar touchstone ability?

DMVerdandi
2014-11-17, 11:58 PM

This.
Necropolitan Archivist.
get ALL divine spells. use body as spell book (as well as a nice boccob's blessed book), and you are fine. There are more than enough sand related spells that you can just go forward in the class.

Extra Anchovies
2014-11-18, 12:53 AM
excellent choice, pride domain is pretty sweet. are you going for the planar touchstone ability?

Pride is one of my favorites, yeah. It's also fitting for a guy who sees himself as the sun god incarnate. No, not that Incarnate! It's also an adjective!

Hm. If the City of the Dead exists in the DM's setting (which it probably will, in some form or another), that Mass Charm Monster ability would be fun for an aspiring god-king. If the City of the Dead doesn't exist in-setting, well, then Touchstone is more of a feat tax than it otherwise was, so the DM should be okay with it.

ETA: This would be a fairly Cha-synergetic build (City of the Dead's lesser ability, plus WitW's Cha to HP). Any way I can meet the "three spells from the Sand or Thirst domains as divine spells" by third level with a Cha-based caster?

Venger
2014-11-18, 01:22 AM
Pride is one of my favorites, yeah. It's also fitting for a guy who sees himself as the sun god incarnate. No, not that Incarnate! It's also an adjective!

Hm. If the City of the Dead exists in the DM's setting (which it probably will, in some form or another), that Mass Charm Monster ability would be fun for an aspiring god-king. If the City of the Dead doesn't exist in-setting, well, then Touchstone is more of a feat tax than it otherwise was, so the DM should be okay with it.

ETA: This would be a fairly Cha-synergetic build (City of the Dead's lesser ability, plus WitW's Cha to HP). Any way I can meet the "three spells from the Sand or Thirst domains as divine spells" by third level with a Cha-based caster?

well, it's the prereq for sand shaper, so that's why I asked. it's pretty handy. if he doesn't let that work, he should let you take some other functional feat.

sand shaper will give you parching touch.

dessicate, tormenting thirst, and haboob are all sorcerer spells. you only need to take two of them, though, so chop tormenting thirst since it sucks. (a mind affecting sr yes willneg closerange spell that BUFFS your enemy? WTF?) and take dessicate (a handy way to fatigue enemies) and haboob (a pretty cool BFC and a handy vehicle for metamagic)

easily doable via sorcerer, though unfortunately not by 3 the way it is with cleric.

sorcerer with versatile spellcaster (and some way of boosting CL) can still only enter at 4, so you'll tragically miss out on desert slumber, but you shouldn't need it, especially not 1/day. if you're not taking 7, there's no reason to take 6 either, since it's a dead level.

in that case, you might instead just cool your heels in sorcerer until 5, take a sub lvl (planar sorcerer lets you deal half energy damage as force and only costs a 2nd lvl spell known. with sand shaper, you're more than coming out ahead) plus it gives planes on the off chance you care:

sor5/sand shaper 2/witw10/sand5 ought to cover you.