PDA

View Full Version : Magic Items you dream of having

Keldrin
2014-11-17, 11:20 PM
If cost or necessity (i.e. the standard must have items, like stat enhancers) wasn't a barrier, what would you get?

A couple of mine are Daern's Instant Fortress, and the orignal K'iira ( the lorestone in MiC is okay i guess, just didn't grab my imagination the way the Faerun version did).

It can be for flavour reasons, power mad reasons, or just insane reasons. :smalltongue:

Extra Anchovies
2014-11-18, 12:45 AM
Greater Siege Crab Effigy (60 HD)

Portable Hole

Two of each of the Elemental Command items (Bowl/Brazier/Censer/Stone of Controlling Water/Fire/Air/Earth Elementals)

Folding Boat

Instant Fortress

Cube of Force

Single-use item of Astral Projection

Spellclock of Wish that 1/hour affixes me with one of a series of Contingent Greater Plane Shifts:
CGPS 1 condition: If my astral form would be destroyed, or if the Astral Projection spell would end, or if my silver cord would be severed, or if I would be removed from existence, or if any of my contingent spells would be destroyed, or if I would be knocked unconscious, or when I utter the phrase "Xiaolin Showdown was a terrible show and I wish I'd never watched it as a child" or when I think that phrase to myself with the intent of activating this affect (both of which are non-actions), send me to a predetermined safe place (probably somewhere in the upper planes, with a backup in the Outlands);
CGPS 2 condition: as CGPS 1, but only triggers if CGPS 1 has already been triggered at some point in the past;
CGPS 3 condition: as CGPS 1, but only triggers if CGPS 2 has already been triggered at some point in the past;
etc.

3/day item of Greater Plane Shift

Custom continuous item of Mind Blank

Custom continuous item of disease and poison immunity

Custom continuous item of Spell Immunity (Dimensional Anchor, other planar travel-blocking spells)

Custom item that grants fly speed = land speed (based on Fell Flight?)

Decanter of Endless Water

Necklace of Adaptation

Glove of Storing (2)

Gem of Seeing

Goggles of Night (effect applied to my glasses)

Ring of Sustenance (or slotless item to similar effect, since I find rings uncomfortable), with an added pain-reducing (but not pain-eliminating) ability

Ring of Regeneration (or slotless item to similar effect, since I find rings uncomfortable)

Heward's Handy Haversack

Slippers of Spider Climbing

Custom continuous item of Tongues and Comprehend Languages

Command-word item of Discern Location and Find the Path

Custom item of immunity to blinding/deafening effects

Custom item that grants swim speed = base land speed (based on Swimming the Styx?)

Command-word item of Speak with Animals

At-will use-activated version of Third Eye - Clarity

Item of DR 1/—

Custom continuous item of Energy Immunity x5 (one for each type)

Use-activated item of Prestidigitation

Command-word item of Interplanar Message

As many items as possible are affixed to various body slots, with the exception of the spellclock, item of greater plane shift, decanter of endless water, gem of seeing, item of discern location/find the path, and haversack. All others are slotless but in such a way that they follow the wearer as the wearer moves without needing to be held or stored in another item (e.g. as anklets or armbands).

The item of Greater Plane Shift appears as a watch, but its dial displays the Cosmic Wheel instead of the time of day.

Assuming that I am aware that I will gain these items before the items are given to me (i.e. they don't just show up on my doorstep), or that I do not have to acquire these items all at once, I will first ask all of the people who I legitimately enjoy spending time with to accompany me on my travels. Then I acquire one of each of the spoilered items for each member of my traveling party.

Why all this? I'll explain.

Astral Projection item, Wish spellclock, Mind Blank item, Disease/Poison immunity item, anti-anti-travel item, Necklace of Adaptation, Ring of Sustenance, Ring of Regeneration, item of Energy Immunity, at-will Third Eye - Clarity, item of blindness/deafness immunity: Make my companions and I damn-near unkillable, plus immortal to boot. Immunity to Energy damage also means we're almost entirely immune to passive damage effects (acid pits, etc), so as long as we don't piss anyone off we aren't even being damaged by stuff.

Instant Fortress, Cube of Force: Places to stay and/or active defenses (as opposed to the above passive defenses)

Greater Plane Shift item, Fly speed item, Swim speed item, Slippers of Spider Climbing, item of Tongues/Comprehend Languages, item of Discern Location/Find the Path, item of Speak with Animals: Now my companions and I can go anywhere, on any plane, and talk to anyone. Let the adventures begin. The item of Discern Location/Find the Path + the item of Interplanar Message is good if we get separated.

Decanter of Endless Water: Might as well be called the Decanter of Endless Uses.

Goggles of Night/Gem of Seeing: General utility. Vision is good.

Gloves of Storing: One to store the spellclock (pulling it out every hour to let it trigger), one to store the item of Greater Plane Shift. These are the two most vital items; all others could theoretically be recovered, but without those two we're dead. Keeping them safe is vital.

Items of Elemental Command: In case we have to get in a fight. Disperse them throughout the group, and suddenly that group of eight kids becomes a group of eight kids accompanied by eight Huge elementals. I could also use them to rob a few gold vaults before vanishing from the Material Plane altogether, so that we have a means of purchasing new/replacement supplies.

Item of DR 1/— : Immunity to paper cuts, stubbed toes, skinned knees, etc.

Item of Prestidigitation: For cleaning selves/possessions.

Folding Boat: Because folding boats are cool.

Siege Crab: Because I like to travel in style.

Lightlawbliss
2014-11-18, 12:59 AM
wish on command
miracle on command
Time stop on command

I am now set for life.

frost890
2014-11-18, 01:03 AM
Teleporting daggers. I think it might have been from one sword and fist but I read about a weapon property that would teleport you where ever the weapon landed. I would get one to teleport me to them and another to teleport them to me. I bet they would be great with supreme cleave and for breaking up formations.

ryu
2014-11-18, 01:19 AM
At will fabricate. Combined with knowledge of modern tech and chemistry? I win all the things. Best part is that it can also be kept hilariously low key if desired.

Forrestfire
2014-11-18, 01:19 AM
Apparatus of Kwalish

Daern's Instant Fortress, Marvelous Pigments, Brilliant Energy weapons, Folding Boat, non-custom staves, various other things, random weird loot in general.

I like random loot, but it rarely actually happens in games I play in, and I wouldn't inflict it on players if I'm DMing unless they requested it.

Leviting
2014-11-18, 01:23 AM
portable hole, and just about anything that would allow teleportation. (for completely boring, transportation based purposes)

...I would be the best hide-or-seek player ever...

Yahzi
2014-11-18, 05:02 AM
Lyre of Building.

Girdle of Giant Strength was the bee's knees back in AD&D, but the 3+ versions are too lame.

Milo v3
2014-11-18, 08:15 AM
I'd get a golem, cover him with magic items, and turn him into construct armour to turn me into a mech/iron man.

BWR
2014-11-18, 08:51 AM
The full Tarot version Deck of Many Things from Dragon Magazine 77. Yup, 78 cards of awesome. Each one could be either good or bad (if drawn reversed).
Or just about anything in the Book of Wondrous Inventions.

MrSinister
2014-11-18, 09:04 AM
Apparatus of Kwalish

This, right here. It is a lobster tank. In the various games I have run throughout the years, this thing has always been The Dream because it is just so bizarre and awesome.

Lobster tank, guys. come on.

Ansem
2014-11-18, 09:08 AM
Just give me a Lyrandar airship and I am happy forever.

(Un)Inspired
2014-11-18, 12:00 PM
This, right here. It is a lobster tank. In the various games I have run throughout the years, this thing has always been The Dream because it is just so bizarre and awesome.

Lobster tank, guys. come on.

A Lobster Tank?
http://www.aquaticservice.biz/images/LobsterTank01.jpg

Keldrin
2014-11-18, 06:31 PM
Upon further reflection, I'd also like a Vorpal blade. Over thirty years of gaming and never had one.

Just for the iconic-ness of it.

Hell, maybe a staff of power, no strike that, *MAGI*, just cause.

Yomega
2014-11-18, 07:17 PM
I love that Apparatus of Kwalish and Instant Fortress keep coming up, I gave both of these to my low level party and smile every time they scuttle up to a town in there Apparatus of the Hermit Crab. For me its Ioun stones, any and all I just cant stop loving them, if its above level 1 I always try to buy an Ioun Torch (cheapest I know of)

Keldrin
2014-11-18, 07:55 PM
Hey, one of my characters is about to craft an ioun stone or two. First time for me.

One AD&D character did have the lesser vorpal sword years ago... wossisname, lopped off a random limb?

The Apparatus of Kwalish never grabbed me too much.

Extra Anchovies
2014-11-18, 08:05 PM
The Apparatus of Kwalish never grabbed me too much.

Nor I. One of the downsides is that it can only hold two Medium creatures, so unless your DM rules that you can fit four via the squeezing rules and/or if your party is entirely Small-sized, you can't even fit a four-man party inside. Real adventurers travel in style with their Effigy Siege Crab (which is actually a full 25K GP cheaper for the Gargantuan version).

Invader
2014-11-18, 08:12 PM
Wasn't there a magic pouch or something in 2nd edition that could produce a few gold pieces a day? Given the price of gold it'd be much more beneficial in the real world than it was in the game.

nedz
2014-11-18, 08:12 PM
One AD&D character did have the lesser vorpal sword years ago... wossisname, lopped off a random limb?

That's a Sword of Sharpness, Vorpel Swords only take off the head.

Coventry
2014-11-18, 08:18 PM
Wasn't there a magic pouch or something in 2nd edition that could produce a few gold pieces a day? Given the price of gold it'd be much more beneficial in the real world than it was in the game.

The "Everfull Purse". It is a minor artifact in 3.x.

Arbane
2014-11-18, 08:28 PM
Wait, do you mean in reality, or in game?

Because if it's in game, my current character (a quasi-Norse Battle Oracle) would REALLY like to get a Helm of the Valkyrie (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/h-l/helm-of-the-valkyrie).

It summons a giant spectral wolf you can ride. How cool is that? :smallbiggrin:

Bad Wolf
2014-11-18, 08:31 PM
Decanter of Endless Water. And that orb that drips paint that can create non living things, as long as they cost 2000 or less gp. And plants count as non-living for it.

Rubik
2014-11-18, 08:34 PM
IRL, I'd love to have, in order of desire:

1.) A thought bottle already attuned to me containing 4,502,500,000 experience points, which would allow me to level up in whatever classes and build I wanted. Again, already attuned to me.

2.) A ring of three supernatural Wishes, explicitly created to always grant them for me in the most beneficial ways possible.

3.) A CL 25 item of 3/day (Extended) Shapechange. (Or just continuous CL 25 Shapechange.)

4.) A CL 17 item of 1/day Eshewed Materials Ice Assassin and a ML 17 item of 1/day Fusion and a ML 17 item of 1/day Astral Seed.

5.) A ML 15 psychoactive skin of proteus.

Invader
2014-11-18, 08:46 PM
IRL, I'd love to have, in order of desire:

1.) A thought bottle already attuned to me containing 4,502,500,000 experience points. Again, already attuned to me.

2.) A ring of three supernatural Wishes, explicitly created to always grant them for me in the most beneficial ways possible.

3.) A CL 25 item of 3/day (Extended) Shapechange. (Or just continuous CL 25 Shapechange.)

4.) A CL 17 item of 1/day Eshewed Materials Ice Assassin and a ML 17 item of 1/day Fusion and a ML 17 item of 1/day Astral Seed.

5.) A ML 15 psychoactive skin of proteus.

Just curious what did the extra xp points bump you up to?

Dalebert
2014-11-18, 08:53 PM
The Ring of Air Elemental Command was my favorite item in 2nd edition and I got to have one on a character. It's been nerfed since.

Now I'd say the Staff of the Magi is a fairly obvious choice--lots of useful spells and easily recharged. It's also an artifact so it works in an AMF.

Rubik
2014-11-18, 08:53 PM
Just curious what did the extra xp points numb you up to?Level 3,000, with an extra 1,000,000 XP for component costs and such.

otakumick
2014-11-18, 08:59 PM
Level 3,000, with an extra 1,000,000 XP for component costs and such.

that... is terrifyingly high... I can't even imagine what I would do with that many levels... other than 20 in every class I like and maxing every prestige class I like... but what would I do with the rest of the levels... I think I'd run out of stuff to do even including d20 modern and future and various 3rd party stuff

Rubik
2014-11-18, 09:03 PM
that... is terrifyingly high... I can't even imagine what I would do with that many levels... other than 20 in every class I like and maxing every prestige class I like... but what would I do with the rest of the levels... I think I'd run out of stuff to do even including d20 modern and future and various 3rd party stuffOh, I can definitely fill them up. Hell, I'd use some cheese to gestalt myself so the other half can be illithid savant for more stuff. And I wouldn't need more than 20 levels in a manifesting class, 1 level of wizard, and 3 of cleric.

Blackhawk748
2014-11-18, 09:11 PM
Well an item of Fabricate, obviously. The Apparatus of the Crab makes the list, im also all for the Everful Purse. Other fun stuff is Figurines of Wondrous Power, the Instant Fortress and the Decanter of Endless Water. Oh and Boots of Wintertide. Best. Icefishing. Boots. EVER!

Keldrin
2014-11-18, 09:58 PM
That's a Sword of Sharpness, Vorpel Swords only take off the head.
That's it, I was gapping on the name, "minor vorpal", was the closest approximation i could come up with at work.

Wait, do you mean in reality, or in game?

Because if it's in game, my current character (a quasi-Norse Battle Oracle) would REALLY like to get a Helm of the Valkyrie (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/h-l/helm-of-the-valkyrie).

It summons a giant spectral wolf you can ride. How cool is that? :smallbiggrin:

Very cool.

I meant in a game, but in reality is kosher too.

Extra Anchovies
2014-11-18, 10:01 PM
I meant in a game, but in reality is kosher too.

Oh. I interpreted it as in reality, hence my detailed immortality-invulnerability-and-planar-traveling-with-friends loadout.

One Step Two
2014-11-18, 10:08 PM
One item I have always wanted was the Mirror of Mental Prowess (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#mirrorofMentalProwess). It's both supremely functional, and super stylish. The cost is far too restrictive however.

Rubik
2014-11-18, 10:12 PM
One item I have always wanted was the Mirror of Mental Prowess (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#mirrorofMentalProwess). It's both supremely functional, and super stylish. The cost is far too restrictive however.At first I thought that said dental prowess.

"You've got something there in your teeth."

One Step Two
2014-11-18, 10:15 PM
At first I thought that said dental prowess.

"You've got something there in your teeth."

The Mirror of Dental prowess allows you to scry on teeth with unlimited range and even across planar boundaries, it can allow you to create a portal to repair cavities through this sensor that is invisible and painless. Once per week, it may perform a root canal without any cost.

Mr.Sandman
2014-11-18, 10:17 PM
Real world I would love an At Will Prestidigitation item of some kind. Wash Dishes? Done. Clean House? Done. I'm a simple man, with simple needs, and it would make things run so much smoother at the restaurant I work at.

Extra Anchovies
2014-11-18, 10:23 PM
Real world I would love an At Will Prestidigitation item of some kind. Wash Dishes? Done. Clean House? Done. I'm a simple man, with simple needs, and it would make things run so much smoother at the restaurant I work at.

Yes, this. It would also be a much more efficient means of self-cleaning than a shower (saves time and water).

Sith_Happens
2014-11-19, 12:01 AM
One item I have always wanted was the Mirror of Mental Prowess (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#mirrorofMentalProwess). It's both supremely functional, and super stylish. The cost is far too restrictive however.

This, especially ever since reading Tales of Wyre. Mostin solves so many problems with that thing even well into epic.

One Step Two
2014-11-19, 12:25 AM
This, especially ever since reading Tales of Wyre. Mostin solves so many problems with that thing even well into epic.

Tales of the Wyre is where I found out how amazing an item it could be too. Incidentally, there was a new post in the story archive thread from last month.

Sith_Happens
2014-11-19, 02:46 AM
Incidentally, there was a new post in the story archive thread from last month.

WHAT.

*in disbelief*

*checks ENWorld to see if it's true*

*IT'S TRUE*

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view/970341/foaming-mouth-guy-o.gif

http://media.giphy.com/media/FjeGBljESVAzu/giphy.gif

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/facebook/000/288/653/844.jpg

https://38.media.tumblr.com/cf5172b302ef25cd719d80447c47700a/tumblr_mf2818UmdQ1qfy1spo1_500.gif

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/facebook/000/166/745/queen-rock-group-freddie-mercury-in-concert-at-st-james-park-in-newcastle-1986.jpg

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/270/623/337.gif

http://reactiongif.org/wp-content/uploads/GIF/2014/10/Blues-Brothers-Clarity-Seen-the-light-Sudden-clarity-I-have-seen-the-light-The-Light-GIF.gif
*realizes that in the time it took to compose this post I could have read the new entry multiple times already*

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/006/707/nothing-to-do-here-template.jpg.scaled500.jpg

Arbane
2014-11-19, 04:22 AM
Incidentally, there was a new post in the story archive thread from last month.

Link, please? I can't find it.

Coidzor
2014-11-19, 04:45 AM
Hmm... IRL the at-will Prestidigitation would do a fair bit, really. Greater Teleport or Teleportation Circle would be pretty nifty, especially with things like Google Earth.

In game... Well, the Lance of Faerun would be really nice for a mounted charging build but is always way overpriced and not that nifty of a base set of weapon properties aside from the feat-granting ability, and there's a number of horseshoes and the like which are pretty spendy and won't work on a Paladin's mount which I'd also like to try out for kicks sometime.

Similarly, a Necklace of Natural Attacks fully kitted out for every natural weapon a character possesses on a tricked out Totemist would be pretty nifty for full blenderization, but just too dang expensive.

Haven't gotten to try out a Shax's Haversack yet, but that's just a matter of time.

Wait, what?

Sith_Happens
2014-11-19, 06:35 AM
Wait, what?

See you in a few days. (http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?58227-Tales-of-Wyre):smallwink:

Tarlek Flamehai
2014-11-19, 08:09 AM
Dragontear Crown of Sharrven

Selu'Kiira

Kiira N'Vaelahr

Baneblade of Demron, Faervian

Phelix-Mu
2014-11-19, 12:08 PM
Boots of swiftness. Usually my first purchase once epic items are unlocked. Just great stuff, especially if you job description is running around killing stuff.

Keldrin
2014-11-19, 05:18 PM

Selu'Kiira

Kiira N'Vaelahr

A being after my own heart :)

Extra Anchovies
2014-11-19, 05:34 PM

Selu'Kiira

Kiira N'Vaelahr

What do each of these do, and where are they from?

MesiDoomstalker
2014-11-19, 06:02 PM

I've always said that if I had one superpower, it be the ability to clean anything with a touch. Just think of how much easier life would be if you didn't have to spend any noticeable amount of time, effort, or money on cleaning or cleaning products.

Keldrin
2014-11-19, 06:08 PM

AFB, but the Kiira stones are elvish loregems. Like the one in MiC, but with more stuff. A bonus to knowledge checks, spellbook equivalent that sticks to your forehead. Some have ancestral memories or personalities.

Always appealed to my Adam Warlock fanboy.

The baneblade is one of a number of swords from Cormanthor (sp?) , y'know Myth Drannor.

Demon killing weapons.

Tarlek Flamehai
2014-11-20, 07:23 AM

Dragontear Crown of Sharrven Source:LEoF
Mind blank + Greenstone Amulet + Save Bonus VS Necro, teleport, and plane shift + immune to fear + bonus Draconic language

Selu'Kiira Source: Cormanthyr: Empire of the Elves
A High Magic Kiira hopped up on steroids.

Kiira N'Vaelahr Source: PGtF
A scene/memory/message recording Kiira with Detect Thoughts, limited Telepathy, Overland Flight, and a bonus to Will Saves.

Faervian Source: PGtF
A holy evil outsider/undead bane longsword spell storing weapon.