PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Sheild(s) Made of Metal With a Weight Category (3.5)

supersonic29
2014-11-18, 12:05 AM
So a lot of you have probably read about adamantine (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialMaterials.htm#adamantine) and how you can make it into a shield, but if the shield was originally steel it only gets a health buff, not a DR bonus. Bucklers are stated as being made out of metal, but they aren't called light or heavy as other shields are, so this gets tricky.

Based on the text it seems if there is a shield somewhere stated as being made of metal, not steel, and has a specification of being heavy or light (preferably heavy), then I can make it out of adamantine and receive damage reduction.

tl;dr is there a shield specified as heavy/medium/light that is made of metal and not steel/wood?

heavyfuel
2014-11-18, 12:28 AM
Amantine shields also ignore hardness lesser than 20, so there's that.

However, I don't think there are any "medium" shields. As far as I know, shields are Bucklers, Light, Heavy or Exotic (which includes Tower Shields, as well as the ones in Races of Stone)

Darrin
2014-11-18, 06:20 AM
Chahar-aina (Oriental Adventures) gives a shield bonus but counts as medium armor.

...yeah. It's kind of an oddball.

supersonic29
2014-11-18, 07:54 PM
Chahar-aina (Oriental Adventures) gives a shield bonus but counts as medium armor.

...yeah. It's kind of an oddball.

I actually ran into a problem in that my character needs light armor BUT your post led me to the Dastana on the same page which will do the job perfectly, so thank you :smallbiggrin: