PDA

View Full Version : Generic Class

Innis Cabal
2007-03-23, 09:01 PM
See below for the class...fluff to come...any input would be great

Demented
2007-03-23, 11:54 PM
Oh lordy, I tried making one of these.
It hurt. Badly. Just trying to balance HD, skills, and BAB for the classes was a nightmare...

Anyway.
Keep it simple.

Full Spellcasting levels should be far more expensive than any class feature. Partial spellcasting, such as Paladins and Rangers, not so expensive.

Innis Cabal
2007-03-23, 11:57 PM
well im juggling a couple ideas such as having them buy spells for every two levels...so level 1-2 would be bought, then 3-4, then 5-6, 7-8 and finally 9

Aeyamar
2007-03-24, 08:58 AM
Class Skills
Skill points at 1st level
(4+int modifier) X 2-
(4+int modifier) X 4-
(4+int modifier) X 6-
(4+int modifier) X 8-

I think you may have made a mistake here. The skill points at first level should probably be:
(2+int modifier) X 4-
(4+int modifier) X 4-
(6+int modifier) X 4-
(8+int modifier) X 4-

Innis Cabal
2007-03-24, 10:44 AM
yep...i did will be changed some time today....

Innis Cabal
2007-03-28, 11:05 PM
ok, base points are up, they are purely base and are very open to change. Tell me what ya think, thanks all

AmberVael
2007-03-29, 12:26 AM
So... for the magic are each two levels that many points, or do the points you have already spent stack? Because the first way you'll never afford it, and the second way you can actually have a full caster of divine AND arcane magic with no real problem.

Also: What about 9th level spells?

Kyace
2007-03-29, 02:52 AM
When you buy a class ability, does the change happen retroactively? Like if you bought the fighter bonus feats at level 2 (bear with me, I know you couldn't with only 2 points), would you get the feat you missed at level 1?
Or if you bought it at level 5, would you get the ones you missed at levels 1,2 and 4?

Can you upgrade abilities? Like if you had "6 simple/martial weapons- 1 point", could you buy "Martial Weapons and simple weapons-5 points" for 4 points instead?

Innis Cabal
2007-03-29, 02:19 PM
ok, like i said the points are not even close to final, no 9th level spells becuase as i have said the points are not final and did not want to assign them points
To Kayce, some things will be 1st level only, such as bonus feat progression, B.A.B, base saves, hit die and skills/skill points. Nothing will be retroactive, if you take level 1-2(1-3 possibly) at level 5 you ill gain 1st level spells at level 5 and continue in levels up to third as the type of casting you have chosen. Its a balance issue, as i said i am asking for some serious help here on this forum and on another one, please feel free to add input

Innis Cabal
2007-03-29, 03:08 PM
Another thought i had while cleaning up from work. Perhaps not let them customize completely but take several class's at level intervals, perhaps 1st, 10th, and 15th....give them poor saves at base until they pick a class and give them average in that class's highest, give them the a standard d6 untill their second class, then bump it up by 2 or 4 depending on the class...and allow them to take a single ability of the class, give them all simple weapons(maybe some martial ones) and one class ability so arcane spell casting for wizard or invocations for warlocks. Let them choose another ability from a second class at level 10, like wild shape or fighter bonus feats, and again at 15th level...what do you all think?

Innis Cabal
2007-03-29, 06:37 PM
Class Skills
Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Local) (Int), Listen (Wis), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Use Rope (Dex)
Skill Points at 1st level: (8+ Int modifier) X 4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 8+ Int modifier
Alignment: Any
Hit Die: See below

B.A.B: See below
Saves: As monk

Weapons and Armor Proficiency: An ardent rogue is proficient with all simple weapons, long swords, short swords, long bows, short bows, and halberd. Ardent rogues are proficient with light armor and shields (except tower shields).

Spells: Should an ardent rogue take a spell casting class his caster level is equal to his ardent rogue levels. Spell DC’s are determined by the class an ardent rogue spellcasting is determined, for example Ranus has chosen wizard as his first class, and has chosen wizard spellcasting as his first level ability, thus intelligence is the determining stat for his spell DC’s. Should an ardent rogue take a spell casting ability any time after first he gains 1st level spells at the level he has picked the skill and levels with the ability as normal. For example Ranus chooses not to take wizard spellcasting at sixth level, he gains level 1 spells at first level and does not gain second level spells until 9th level.

Choice of Beginning: At 1st level an ardent rogue chooses a class from a list approved by his DM. He gains the base attack bonus of the class, two skills of his choice, one ability or spell casting ability, or weapon and armor proficiency of the chosen class. Once chosen the abilities, skills, and hit die can not change until 10th level. This ability takes effect immediately at the start of play. Your hit die becomes the hit die of the class you choose

Choice of Rebirth: At 6th level an ardent rogue may choose a second ability, or skill from his first class. This ability is usable after a full nights sleep.

Choice of Solitude: At 10th level an ardent rogue may choose a second class, gaining one skill from the class and a second ability of your choice. Your hit die changes to match the second class you have chosen. You gain the benifts of this ability after a full nights rest

Choice of Twilight: At 17th level, an ardent rogue may choose a third class, gaining one ability from the chosen class. Your hit die changes to match your class. Your hit die changes to match the second class you have chosen. You gain the benifts of this ability after a full nights rest

Fluff to come later
What do you think?

Indon
2007-03-29, 06:55 PM
So at 10'th level, an Ardent Rogue can have wizard casting abilities, and generally be as good as a Wizard... and then choose, say, Barbarian, and then be a Wizard with a D12 HD and one Barbarian ability?

Eeeeehhh...

Innis Cabal
2007-03-29, 07:05 PM
he would gain 1st level spells at 10th level...that would be 5th level spells at 20th level as a 20th level caster with a d12 hit die at 17th level. That is pretty good but still not "generally" as good as a wizard. Perhaps make the hit die not retroactive?

Necromas
2007-03-29, 07:11 PM
Warforged Generic Class

+4 Single alignment
-8 d10HD
-5 Fighter BAB
-1 6 martial/simple weapons of choice (longbow, longsword, greatsword, short sword, lance, throwing axe)
-0 armor (warforged baby)
-2 6 class skills of choice (tumble, heal, use magic device, autohypnosis, spot, search)
-4 4+int skill points
-8 fighter bonus feats
-2 2 poor saves
-2 1 "average?" save
-2 rebuke undead

Fighter, eat your heart out! This guy gets all the perks of being a fighter (bonus feats, proficiencies, good BAB) but becomes a skill monkey and can command his own personal undead minions. As he levels up he gets enough points (19x2=38) to buy...

-20 8th level spontaneous divine spells
-3 three domains and their special abilities
-4 combat style
-7 rage
-4 metamagic feats (gotta get that divine metamagic cheese in)

You end up with a character that gets near cleric level spellcasting, mighty rage, fighter BAB and HP, fighter bonus feats, wizard bonus feats, ranger bonus feats, and the special abilities and domain spells of three different domains. (the free adamantine full plate and access to warforged feats from being a warforged are just icing on the cake)

Innis Cabal
2007-03-29, 07:13 PM
yes...i should delete that version shouldnt i? The lower version is the one i think i am going to stick with..sorry for the troubles. THanks for the reply thoigh...the first version is silly as written

Indon
2007-03-29, 08:03 PM
he would gain 1st level spells at 10th level...that would be 5th level spells at 20th level as a 20th level caster with a d12 hit die at 17th level. That is pretty good but still not "generally" as good as a wizard. Perhaps make the hit die not retroactive?

No, no, I mean a character who chooses Wizard spell progression at first level, as his first class. Then, at level 10, he chooses Barbarian and from then on, he _still_ gains spells as a Wizard (I think; is that how it works?) but I could choose for him to gain a D12 hit die in addition to it.

Even if that's not retroactive, imagine if the Wizard had a class feature at level 10 that said, "Your Hit Die henceforth is a D12".

Innis Cabal
2007-03-29, 08:06 PM
hmm.....i see your point...it has been changed, and also remember that you gain the base attack bonus of the first class...so you would have a wizards base attack bonus with d12's and two very low attacks