PDA

View Full Version : The Hero, Ambushed - SotVD

banthesun
2014-11-18, 06:58 AM
"Hey, Asami, could I get your advice on some-"

In her eagerness to show Asami the sewing patterns she'd found, Kyoko had barged straight into the bedroom without knocking. But to her dissapointment, the only person inside was Tsubaki, reading something on her bunk.

"Oh, she's not here? Uh, Tsubaki, do you know where she-" Kyoko started, before her attention was drawn to the book in Tsubaki's hands. "Hmm? What's that you're reading?"

Mokou-tan
2014-11-18, 10:59 AM
Tsubaki had been caught completely by surprise. Everyone else was out of the room at the moment, so she assumed it was safe to read her manga. She quickly closes and stuffs the book underneath her plush tiger.

"'The Book of Five Rings', why?" She really did own a copy of said book, but it was in her trunk, covering up her manga stash. Out of the corner of her eye, she notices that her trunk was still open. Maybe she won't notice that it's the top book in there?

banthesun
2014-11-18, 11:54 PM
Kyoko couldn't help standing up on her tippy-toes to get a look at the book's cover while Tsubaki hid it. Why was she being so secretive about it? When Tsubaki glanced at her trunk, Kyoko's eyes instinctively followed hers.

"Huh..." Kyoko stepped over to the trunk, and reached for the book on top. "You have two copies?"

Mokou-tan
2014-11-28, 03:20 PM
Tsubaki freezes up for a moment. Caught! Emergency escape? No, jumping out the window would be worse, she might find the rest of my manga if she gets snoopy. No way out. With a sigh, Tsubaki decides on the only course of action available to her.

"It's Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma☆Illya... Please don't tell anyone..."

banthesun
2014-11-28, 10:59 PM
Huh? Tsubaki is acting really weird... Why didn't she want to tell me what she was reading?

Tsubaki's weird behaviour was making Kyoko feel awkward, so she decided to avoid the obvious question for the time being.

"Oh, uhhh, is it good?"

Mokou-tan
2014-11-29, 02:03 AM
Tsubaki gives a slight nod. "I like it... It's kinda cute and stuff... Though, you miss out on a lot if you just read this."

banthesun
2014-11-29, 02:15 AM
Kyoko nodded slowly. Okay, I just can't resist! I have to know!

"Uhhh, sorry, but I have to ask... Why did you tell me it was The Five Rings? Um, I don't want to be rude, but I didn't really picture you as a 'classics' person."

She gritted her teeth into a nervous smile. That kinda was a rude question, but she was just too curious to let it pass by.

Mokou-tan
2014-11-29, 02:40 AM
Tsubaki smiles. "Well, it's written by Miyamoto Musashi. I've got Sun Tzu's 'The Art of War' too. I've already read and memorized both. I figured it'd be more expected than a Mahou Shoujo manga. I feel that would seem more out of character than something written by a famous warrior."

banthesun
2014-11-29, 03:01 AM
"Oh. Right." It was clear that her explanation was something Kyoko hadn't been thinking of. "I guess that makes sense. You do have that warrior thing going... but, uh... you don't always look like a warrior?" she said cautiously. Hopefully that's more polite than remarking about her height...

"Um, and it's not like you always hide your tiger," she continued, gesturing towards the plush tiger on Tsubaki's bed. "Unless that's just for the tiger thing you've got going..."

Mokou-tan
2014-11-29, 03:16 AM
"I feel like there's more you aren't saying, but whatever." Tsubaki lets out a soft sigh. "Taiga helps me sleep. My little sister got it for me before I came out here because she couldn't be here with me."

banthesun
2014-11-29, 03:30 AM
Kyoko wanted to protest Tsubaki's first comment, but then she was struck with an idea. I can show her she doesn't have to hide that stuff from me!

"I understand. Hey, wait here!"

Kyoko ran out of the room, and after a few seconds ran back in with a soft bear under her arms.

"It mightn't have a sister, but a friend got this for me! Isn't he cute!"

Mokou-tan
2014-11-29, 04:29 AM
Tsubaki gives a soft chuckle. "Yeah, it's cute. A lot cuter than the one that almost got me when I was camping. That's how Setanta came out though, so I guess I should thank that bear. I suppose he tasted okay, too."

banthesun
2014-11-29, 06:00 AM
Kyoko's face fell; it was beginning to seem that she had not discovered Tsubaki's secret cute side, but just something else weird about this girl.

"Ah... Um, Setana? I not sure if I understand..."

Mokou-tan
2014-11-29, 09:14 AM
Tsubaki rolls off of her bed and lands on her hands and knees, her unbound hair draping over her. With a slight shake of her head, she stands. "Setanta was Cu Chulainn's name before he became Culann's guard dog. I guess that wouldn't make much sense without knowing the legend behind him... One moment." Tsubaki digs in her chest a little and withdraws what appears to be a purple tome. "Basically my Persona is a hero of Celtic legend. This book is kinda an anthology of said legends. You can borrow it if you like. Or not, it's really up to you."

banthesun
2014-11-29, 09:22 AM
Kyoko accepted the book with a small nod. "Uh, I've never really looked into that kind of stuff before, but I guess I should now I'm involved with all this persona stuff. Did, uh, did you know about these legends before you got your persona, or did you have to look them up?"

Mokou-tan
2014-11-29, 09:41 AM
"I read up on him afterwards. He actually bothers me a bit. The Persona is a manifestation of your personality, right? That means at least part of my personality is a man..." Tsubaki gives a little shrug and a sigh. "Oh well, not much I can do about it and some of his traits fit with mine, so I can't say it's wrong." With a slight pause, the little warrior leans against the bunk bed. "And you don't need to read up on your Persona or anything. You may gain things you didn't want."

banthesun
2014-11-29, 10:16 AM
"Hmm, I guess... I don't really know that much about my persona. I know it's called Mimi, and like, it looks creepy, but I know it's nice... But that's about all I know," Kyoko pondered. "But I mean, if the worst thing you found out about your persona is that it's a man... well, you're interested in fights and wars and that kind of stuff, and isn't that boyish stuff?"

Mokou-tan
2014-11-29, 06:54 PM
"Is it really that boyish to want to be strong? Tomoe Gozen was a female warrior and used the naginata as well. The naginata is regarded as a woman's weapon as well. I don't see how that is boyish at all." Tsubaki gives a gentle smile. "I'm strong because I'm always fighting and pushing myself as hard as I can. Because I've gotten strong, I can use this body of mine to stand in harm's way in the door. I can endure it so those around me don't have to."

banthesun
2014-11-29, 11:41 PM
Aren't naginatas womens' weapons because women aren't meant to fight? I guess Tsubaki would know more about it than me.

"If you say so..." Kyoko tilted her head. "But, uh, you're not really into very many girly things, are you? Wait, why is it you were reading that manga?"

Mokou-tan
2014-11-30, 01:23 AM
Tsubaki tilts her head to the side opposite Kyoko did. "Because I like Mahou Shoujo stuff. That shouldn't be difficult to comprehend, right? Just because you don't see me being girly doesn't mean that I don't do girly things or don't like girly things. There's a lot I don't let you see. There's a lot you don't know." She pauses for a moment. "I suppose everyone's going to know about my reading material now. Nobody'll believe it anyway. After all, like you said, I'm 'not into many girly things'."

banthesun
2014-11-30, 02:02 AM
'Everyone's going to know about my reading material now?' Does she take me for a gossip? Kyoko looked hurt.

"I'm not going to tell people if you don't want me to! But, I just don't understand why you're trying to keep it a secret!"

Mokou-tan
2014-11-30, 03:32 AM
Tsubaki gives a somber smile. "You basically said it yourself. Because I do all kinds of violent things, I don't seem like the type to do girly thing. That means to be 'strong' I have to obscure my girliness. I can't have both, because then not only am I violent, I'm weird on top of it. I'll leave the image of being girly for my sister to have. She needs me to be a hero."

banthesun
2014-11-30, 03:46 AM
"But, um, I thought, uh..." Kyoko was having some trouble processing her what Tsubaki had been saying into a clear mental image.

"Wait, sorry, you like girly things but you pretend you don't? Um, honestly I thought it was weirder when you only liked fighting. That's a bit scary actually. Everyone has things they like, after all! Uh, but you don't like cute stuff?" she asked, glancing down at the bear she still held in her arms. "Uh, sorry, am I still misunderstanding?"

Mokou-tan
2014-11-30, 04:12 AM
Tsubaki lets out a gentle laugh. "I like cute things. Mahou Shoujo are cute, right? That bear of yours just reminded me of the time that one almost killed me in Hokkaido. I'm not traumatized or anything, I was just reminded is all. It's still a cute bear."

banthesun
2014-11-30, 04:50 AM
I think most people would be traumatised by something like that. Or at least not associate it with teddy bears... Kyoko pushed the thoughts from her head. It was almost like she was getting somewhere with Tsubaki this time. She rubbed her chin as she pondered her next response.

"I don't see why you have to hide that though. I mean, you want to protect people, and you still like girly things, right? I don't see why you can't do both. I mean, that's what Mahou Shojou stuff is about, isn't it?"

At least I hope that's what it's still about... I haven't really read any for years...

Mokou-tan
2014-11-30, 05:35 AM
Tsubaki stretches her arms up towards the ceiling as she responds. "I wasn't given powers through a contract or anything. And I don't fly around shooting love beams everywhere. What I've done and what I do don't have any of the girliness or innocence that they carry. I suppose that's part of why I read it, too. It's a nice fantasy."

banthesun
2014-11-30, 05:55 AM
"Well, we do have personas," Kyoko chuckled, before realising Tsubaki was serious. Is she really so cynical already? "You do try and protect people, right? You said that's why you do this stuff? That sounds pretty noble to me. Unless... Do you want people to fear you?"

Mokou-tan
2014-11-30, 06:22 AM
Tsubaki lets out a sad-sounding chuckle. "Honestly, people'd be smarter if they did. If you find an article from my hometown about six years ago, I'm the front page. I might actually have a paper in my chest still if Chika didn't throw it out. Some of the articles had some unkind words about me in them. Not that they were undeserved."

banthesun
2014-11-30, 06:42 AM
"You were in a newspaper? What fo-" Kyoko glanced straight at Tsubaki.

Hey, she's trying to dodge the question!

"Wait a moment! I was asking if you wanted to be seen like that! Not what they think!"

Mokou-tan
2014-11-30, 07:05 AM
Tsubaki's sighs once again. "How I want them to see me doesn't much matter. They already decided what I was to them." With a little hop, she moves back over to her chest, knocking it closed with a gentle kick.

"Sometimes, when you save one life, you take another. Sometimes, only the person you saved regards you as a hero. Everyone else wonders how a ten-year old girl can do such a thing so easily. They try to talk your parents into getting you mentally evaluated or locking you up!" The little warrior takes a deep breath and calms down, realizing that she was starting to get loud.

"I'm sorry... I got worked up for a moment there and I really shouldn't have."

banthesun
2014-11-30, 07:54 AM
Took a life? She doesn't sound like she's talking about the bear! Kyoko tried to keep her face neutral at the revelation, but couldn't help the shock showing in her eyes. She decided that now wasn't the time to go digging into that, considering how it had gotten Tsubaki so worked up just before. Kyoko looked down and replied.

"Tsubaki, I'll- I won't tell anyone about the manga if you don't want me to, but I just feel you shouldn't have to keep that a secret."

She felt a sense of deja-vu; this felt just like Tsubaki telling her not to let them be seen together...

Mokou-tan
2014-11-30, 08:13 AM
Tsubaki takes a seat on her box, holding her right knee against her chest. "I know you won't, you're a good girl, from what I can tell at least. Miyuki knows as well. I figure since I'm her friend, I should at least share one of the interests I have in common with her. Oh, and by the way..." Tsubaki gives a little smirk to Kyoko. "Your eyes give away a lot."

banthesun
2014-11-30, 08:40 AM
Tsubaki's comment once again left Kyoko feeling hurt. She means she could see I was disturbed? Of course I was, anyone would be! I thought I did well to not outwardly react!

"I wasn't... I didn't say anything!" she protested.

Mokou-tan
2014-11-30, 08:59 AM
Tsubaki chuckles softly. "I never said you did. There are just some things I pick up on. My sister is good at cold reading, so I learned a few things myself. If you do a little digging, I'm certain you'd find the information anyway, so I'll just tell you myself. I killed a man to protect my little sister."

banthesun
2014-11-30, 09:19 AM
Kyoko went cold; the sideways mentions Tsubaki had given were nothing compared to hearing her say it directly.

"Killed..."

But it was to protect her sister, right? That means it was someone bad? Still...

She had to air her thoughts.

"But it was to protect your sister, right? You didn't have a choice?"

It felt almost pleading, as if she was wanting Tsubaki to confirm for her that, yes, it was alright.

Mokou-tan
2014-11-30, 09:29 AM
Tsubaki gives a small nod. "He had my sister and he had a gun. It was either kill him or give him the chance to kill her. I had heard her distress from my room and ran out with my naginata. Once I saw the situation, I didn't hesitate. I charged with all my might and managed to free my sister with my assault."

banthesun
2014-11-30, 09:55 AM
"Ah... I'm sorry..."

It felt like such a weak response; what did she know that held a candle to Tsubaki's experience? Kyoko couldn't meet Tsubaki's eyes.

"You didn't have a choice... I guess... that was probably right then..."

Damn... Is that why she's been keeping me at arms length? But who am I to tell her how to respond to something like that...

Mokou-tan
2014-11-30, 07:54 PM
"Nobody seemed to care about the reason I did it. I was a child who was able to kill someone without hesitation. Something had to be wrong with me, right? That's what the neighbors tried to convince my parents of. Only my sister calls me a hero for what I did." Tsubaki's laughs a little. "That's fine though. I didn't want recognition, I just wanted to protect her. Even if I ended up a monster to do it."

banthesun
2014-11-30, 11:46 PM
Kyoko couldn't argue with this, so she kept her gaze fixed on the floor and slowly replied.

"Uh, and do the people at school know this? Is that why they..."

There was no nice way to say it, so Kyoko just trailed off.

Mokou-tan
2014-12-01, 12:53 AM
Tsubaki lets out a laugh, trying to ease the tension a bit. "That's partly my fault. I attracted too much attention the first day. The resident thug at the time was trying to extort money out of me because I was new and I'm the size of a middle-schooler. I beat him senseless and took his money to teach him what it feels like. Someone did a little digging into who I was and word spread. Then any situation I got involved in ended up twisted into me being something terrible. Sometimes when people bump into me they freak out, like I'm going to hurt them over it."

banthesun
2014-12-01, 01:42 AM
Ahh, so that's why... She said she doesn't worry about it, but can someone really not worry about what people think of them?

Kyoko sighed, looking a bit more relaxed than before. "Protecting people is really important to you, isn't it... I'm just surprised that no one, like, wants to support you with that... Uh, appart from Fumiko, that is. I mean, it is kinda scary, but still..."

Mokou-tan
2014-12-01, 02:56 AM
Tsubaki lightly hops off her trunk, no longer comfortable on top of it. "If I don't protect people, then they're right. If they're right, then I'm not the hero my sister sees me as. I refuse to let that be taken from her. She's already lost too much."

banthesun
2014-12-01, 03:17 AM
"That... That seems like a lot of responsibility..." Kyoko pursed her lips, thinking over what to say. "I can't really say I understand, I've never had someone who relies on me like that... But, uh, family is important," she finished with a nod.

Mokou-tan
2014-12-01, 04:35 AM
Tsubaki nods at Kyoko's statement. "Yeah. Chika is the thing I treasure most in this world. She's the reason why I'm part of this program. If I don't do this, then it may eventually endanger her. I'll make sure that never happens. Even when she isn't allowed to know it, I'll be working hard for her."

banthesun
2014-12-01, 05:38 AM
Wow, Tsubaki seems really mature about this; she's really taking a lot of responsibility here! I wouldn't have guessed, what with her height, and her getting into fights. And with her reading magical girl books!

Kyoko couldn't help laughing at that last thought, and she quickly covered her mouth, embarrassed. "Ah, sorry, it was nothing!" Yeah right, like anyone would believe that! "I mean, I was just thinking that you're a lot more mature than you look. Uh, I mean, not that-" Realising she was just digging herself deeper, Kyoko clamped her mouth shut, and rubbed the back of her neck.

Mokou-tan
2014-12-01, 06:38 AM
Tsubaki raises an eyebrow. "You really shouldn't judge a girl by her height, ya know. I am sixteen, after all and just because I look like a middle school student doesn't mean I think like one." Her voice carries not an ounce of agitation as she speaks. "Why are you in this program?"

banthesun
2014-12-01, 07:12 AM
"I wasn't- I mean, I thought that was pretty mature for any student!" Kyoko protested, waving her hands in front of her.

"Why am I in this project? Uh, I didn't really think about it that much. I wasn't even aware we had a choice in the first place... But I can hardly leave now, I'd be letting everyone down!"

Mokou-tan
2014-12-01, 08:05 AM
Tsubaki chuckles. "Of course you had a choice. They couldn't force you into it even if they wanted to. Think of it this way, if you told me I had to be a part of this program and I didn't want to, what would you do to keep me here? If you locked me up, I'm not helping anyway. Logically, we couldn't be forced."

banthesun
2014-12-01, 08:11 AM
"Uhh, I didn't think of it that way..."

I don't think anyone thinks of it that way apart from you! Kyoko decided to keep that thought to herself.

"Well, I guess they're not forcing us to do it... But it's not like they're forcing us to go to school either," she argued.

Mokou-tan
2014-12-01, 08:27 AM
Tsubaki smiles. "I don't think most people would think of it that way. I personally like being a free spirit. Which leads into your point. I'm proof they don't force us to go to class. But, if you have no choice, you're being forced."

banthesun
2014-12-01, 09:01 AM
Kyoko couldn't help but laugh. "Heheh, you're pretty weird, you know! You're so dedicated to protecting your sister, but you're not even fussed about skipping school! So you're a free spirit responsible hero now?"

Mokou-tan
2014-12-01, 09:34 AM
Tsubaki laughs with Kyoko. "I choose to be so dedicated, don't I? And, I skip classes because I don't really need them. I might need the classes more if I didn't have the coursebooks at my disposal early in the year, though."

banthesun
2014-12-01, 09:51 AM
"I still don't understand," Kyoko said with a sigh. "I'm sure you could do really well if you went to more classes! What do you even do the rest of the time? Patrol the city, looking for evil doers?" She asked the last question with a dramatic flourish; Tsubaki had been reading magic girl manga, after all.

Mokou-tan
2014-12-01, 09:56 AM
Tsubaki shakes her head. "I actually memorize the course books early, so I have more free time. If my sister is sick, it's alright if I take a couple days off to go care for her. On days where I only skip a couple classes I'm trying to nap in the sun. I'm used to sleeping with my sister, so I don't sleep so well at night here."

banthesun
2014-12-01, 10:17 AM
"Oh, really? That's no good!" Kyoko looked concerned by Tsubaki's explanation. Do sisters normally sleep together? Or is Tsubaki's family poor too? "I'm sure there must be something you can do to sleep better... Even the tiger doesn't help?"

Mokou-tan
2014-12-01, 10:33 AM
Tsubaki grabs the stuffed tiger and holds it out to Kyoko. "It helps. He's actually stuffed with herbs to help with sleeping, but I still don't sleep well. And then I rise before the sun to go train next to the river."

banthesun
2014-12-01, 10:40 AM
Kyoko took the stuffed tiger and gave it a sniff, her own soft toy still nestled underneath her left arm. "Oh, that is nice! But.. you're wearing yourself out before the day even starts? That doesn't sound healthy!" Not that I know anything about excersise... "Uh, perhaps more stuff could help you sleep better then? I could lend you some of my soft toys if you like."

Mokou-tan
2014-12-01, 10:49 AM
Tsubaki waves her hands in front of her as she shakes her head. "Nonono! I appreciate the offer, but it's okay. I'm just still getting used to it is all. I go home to sleep in my bed at home on some weekends, as well. As long as I'm well rested for exams there's no trouble, right?"

banthesun
2014-12-01, 11:04 AM
"Well, if you say so, I guess." Kyoko gave a shrug and tilted her head. "But I'm sure you could do well in the exams, especially if you've memorised all the textbooks! The teachers will probably do practice exams and stuff as we get closer, so if you come for them maybe it'll be easier for you on the day!"

Mokou-tan
2014-12-01, 11:14 AM
Tsubaki nods. "So long as I keep my grades strictly average, my sister shines with her grades. I should be able to get into a good university if I pass the entrance exam with flying colors like I did the one to go here, so I can slack off a bit. I'd rather not overshadow her, ya know?"

banthesun
2014-12-01, 10:59 PM
"Uh, I don't think it's a sister's responsibility to go that far..." Kyoko suggested. "Couldn't you like, just help her out with stuff? I think that sounds like it'd be enough. Uh, unless your parents are really strict or something?"

Mokou-tan
2014-12-01, 11:57 PM
Tsubaki chuckles softly. "If I overtly help her, then it ends up with her fighting to stay out of my shadow. Flowers wilt if they're kept in the dark for too long, and I want to see her bloom beautifully."

banthesun
2014-12-02, 12:14 AM
"Ahh..." Kyoko sounded unsure. "I think most sisters have to deal with something like that, don't they? I just... I just don't think most of them deal with it that way?"

"Not that I'd know..."

Mokou-tan
2014-12-02, 04:55 PM
Tsubaki gives charming kind of smile. "I'm not 'most sisters', though. I'm 'Kuroki Tsubaki, Chika's older sister'. I wouldn't know how most sisters are. I've lived what people describe as a 'lonely life' without many friends. I wouldn't call it lonely though, I have Chika."

banthesun
2014-12-02, 11:44 PM
Kyoko looked troubled by this. She spoke carefully in her reply. "That sounds like you really care about her a lot... Just, it seems a little extreme, if you know what I mean? You're working hard to protect her and help her look good, but you're not getting close to anyone else? I dunno, I guess if that's what you want to do, fine..."

Mokou-tan
2014-12-03, 03:01 AM
Tsubaki laughs softly. "Very few people want to be friends with a murderer. Even my own brother shows his distrust of me. Chika was still on my side. I'm repaying that, as much as I can, anyway."

banthesun
2014-12-03, 03:37 AM
Right, Tsubaki killed someone... I guess that's not something you can just get over...

Kyoko hung her head, fixing her vision on a small spot of the floor. "I see. I guess I can't really know what that must be like... But, I do think it sounds like you... you did what you had to..."

Mokou-tan
2014-12-03, 03:51 AM
Tsubaki shrugs. "It's just how things are and I'll hope you never end up seeing things from my point of view. After all, that'd mean you did something like I did, and I wouldn't wish that on you. I like to think of you as a friend, or at least someone who doesn't outwardly dislike me."

banthesun
2014-12-03, 04:00 AM
"Uh, thanks." Kyoko was caught a bit by surprise by Tsubaki telling her that she thought of Kyoko as a friend.

Do I think of Tsubaki that way? She is nice, in her own way, even if she is a bit scary. It feels like I argue with her a lot about stuff...

Still somewhat confused, Kyoko decided she might as well make the most of the situation. "Hey, if I'm you're friend, uh, can you let me help you out, sometimes?"

Mokou-tan
2014-12-03, 05:02 AM
Tsubaki smiles. "I suppose that would really depend on what you're wanting to help with. Wouldn't you agree?"

banthesun
2014-12-03, 05:37 AM
What, is she just dodging what I said?

Kyoko frowned, not considering the other possibilities of Tsubaki's response. "You know what I mean. You said you had a 'lonely life,' but it's not like I can really be your friend if you don't allow yourself to be seen around me." Hearing herself speak it aloud, Kyoko's face softened. Perhaps she'd been a bit harsh. "If that's what you want, I guess..."

Mokou-tan
2014-12-03, 06:08 AM
Tsubaki chuckles softly as a sly smile plays across her face. "I've always suggested that course of action and gave you a good argument why you should follow it. It was your decision to follow my suggestion. If you'd decided to stick around, I really couldn't stop you."

banthesun
2014-12-03, 06:28 AM
A nasty gleam crosses Kyoko's eyes, and a smile plays at her lips. "I'm sure you could stop me, you're much stronger than me, after all!"

Hah! Payback!

Mokou-tan
2014-12-03, 06:33 AM
"You wound me!" Tsubaki makes a show of her mock-hurt. "Do I really seem like the kind of person who would do something violent against you for being a friend?"

banthesun
2014-12-03, 07:40 AM
"Hahaha! Of course not!" Kyoko grinned and continued in a sing song voice. "But you couuuuuuld!"

Mokou-tan
2014-12-03, 07:48 AM
Tsubaki giggles and takes a couple twirling steps to the side of Kyoko. "And here you are, willingly in the room of someone who could do that. I don't believe you'd be afraid of that happening."

banthesun
2014-12-03, 08:03 AM
"Oh fine, you win!" Kyoko conceeded. "I'm not afraid of that. I mean, you're still scary, but for other people! Evildoers and that, I guess!"

Mokou-tan
2014-12-03, 08:18 AM
Tsubaki gives a small nod. "Of course I'm scary. Tigers are beautiful creatures, but you also know that they can tear open your abdomen. Some people still have them as friendly pets though. Scary but friendly, that's all."

banthesun
2014-12-03, 08:29 AM
Who started calling Tsubaki a tiger in the first place? She definitely seems into it though...

Kyoko's eyes widened. "People keep tigers as pets!? What, like a giant cat? I wouldn't want that! I mean, cats scratch their owners all the time anyway! If a tiger did that... Yikes!"

Mokou-tan
2014-12-03, 08:37 AM
Tsubaki tilts her head to the side, obviously confused. "Your cat scratches you? Are you doing things to upset him? My old cat never scratched me. He'd always be patient with me and let me know when I was pushing the bounds of what is okay."

banthesun
2014-12-03, 08:57 AM
Kyoko rubbed the back of her neck again. "Well, it wasn't really my cat... And I was a fair bit younger... I didn't really think I did anything to upset it though! They can be really cute, but I don't think I get along with cats that well..."

Mokou-tan
2014-12-03, 09:07 AM
Tsubaki nods. "You'd have gotten along with my kitty, I know it. When you were bothering him, he'd press his paw up against your nose and never clawed anyone. Animals have personalities, just like people. Some of them are just more friendly than others."

banthesun
2014-12-03, 09:13 AM
"Aww, that sounds really cute," sighed Kyoko. Still, I'm not sure I'd be comfortable playing with him... "I'll take your word for it! My family never really had any pets. Well, we did have a pair of mice when I was younger, but that's not really the same! Your cat, did you have to leave him when you moved here, or... was that when you were younger?"

Mokou-tan
2014-12-03, 09:34 AM
Tsubaki stretches out a bit before speaking. "He got got into a fight with a large dog a few years ago. He managed to walk home afterwards and died in my arms. That must've been the wild blood from his mother, letting him last long enough to get home." Tsubaki gives a proud smile even as she feels her eyes begin to water. "That's just how it is though, he had the strength to make it back to me, no matter what."

banthesun
2014-12-03, 09:52 AM
"Oh, that's... that's really sad..." Kyoko wanted to say something to comfort Tsubaki, but wasn't sure how. Her own experience with cats hadn't been positive, but Tsubaki had made her cat sound really nice. "That sounds really noble of him... to come back to you like that. It's just..." She still wasn't sure what to say.

Mokou-tan
2014-12-03, 10:12 AM
Tsubaki closes her eyes and shakes her head, fully regaining her composure. "It's okay, it was a long time ago. He taught me quite a lot of lessons, and that day, he taught me a few more. I'm proud to have lived with that little bengal."

banthesun
2014-12-03, 10:29 AM
"Ahh, I'm glad you're okay with that now..." Kyoko nodded slowly. "Um, Tsubaki, if you don't mind me asking, what's with the tiger stuff? Like, does that have some special meaning to you or something?"

Mokou-tan
2014-12-03, 11:03 PM
Tsubaki steps back over to her bed and grabs her stuffed tiger. "Let's see... I guess the place to start would be with Byakko, the White Tiger of the West. You recognize that, right?"

banthesun
2014-12-03, 11:59 PM
Kyoko nodded, she wasn't big into myths, but this one was pretty well known. "Uh, I know a bit about that story. I'm not really familiar with it though."

Mokou-tan
2014-12-04, 12:30 AM
Tsubaki nods. "He represents the west and here he represents the element of Wind, but in China he represents Metal. Firmness, rigidity, strength, persistence and determination. It fit, so I kept with it when Chika said I had a tiger's traits."

banthesun
2014-12-04, 12:41 AM
"Oh, that's it?" Kyoko looked dissapointed. "I was kinda expecting some complicated story about how you had a group of friends who all had one of the animal spirits or something... A cheeky grin appeared on her lips. "Actually, that could probably make a good story! Are you suuuuure you're not a magical girl?"

Mokou-tan
2014-12-04, 01:38 AM
Tsubaki lets out a laugh. "I don't think the outfit would look good on me and besides, I would be the worst magical girl out there. I don't even know how to use magic on the other side. I just claw my way though my enemies."

banthesun
2014-12-04, 01:53 AM
"Oh, yeah, I forgot about that... Kyoko put on a pensive expression. "Are 'fighting girls' a thing? Ugh, that sounds like some weird otaku thing... 'martial arts girl' maybe?" she suggested with a shrug.

Mokou-tan
2014-12-04, 03:55 AM
Tsubaki shugs and hops from the floor up onto her bed, landing seated on the edge. "Well, I don't need to be the hero of a story anyway. It's not a big deal what I get classified as, ya know?"

banthesun
2014-12-04, 04:27 AM
Kyoko shrugged. "Sure, I guess it doesn't matter. But it's be fun, wouldn't it? I dunno, maybe this is more serious than that..."

Mokou-tan
2014-12-04, 11:49 AM
Tsubaki giggles a little. "True, it'd be fun. A Tiger girl could be cute, couldn't it? My sister probably has those ears and tail somewhere still..."

banthesun
2014-12-04, 11:06 PM
Kyoko smiled, glad she hadn't been misunderstanding too much. But it was Tsubaki's second comment that really caught her attention. "What? A tiger costume? I knew there was some kind of story here!"

Mokou-tan
2014-12-04, 11:13 PM
Tsubaki's face becomes bright red. "N-no! There's no story there! None at all! Absolutely no story!" In her fervent denial, she loses her balance and falls backwards, onto her mattress.

banthesun
2014-12-04, 11:59 PM
"Ohhh? If you say so!" Kyoko replied with a knowing smile. No way am I letting this get away! I'll just have to wait for my chance!

"Hmm, if you're Byakko, we'd still need the other three though..."

Mokou-tan
2014-12-05, 12:15 AM
Tsubaki slowly rises. "I don't know any girls who would want to be a turtle, do you?"

banthesun
2014-12-05, 12:54 AM
"Aww, good point..." Kyoko looked a little dissapointed. "Like, they can be cute enough, but I don't think anyone would want to be one..."

Mokou-tan
2014-12-05, 01:16 AM
Tsubaki nods in agreement. "They're very tough, but not something even I would want to be."

banthesun
2014-12-05, 01:24 AM
The two girls spent a second silently nodding their aggreement, before a new thought hit Kyoko. Wait, is she closer to this than I realised. Is there actually something going on here?

"Hmmm, I agree that the turtle is a problem, but... I remember you saying Fumiko had a dragon thing going on! Ryu-chan! You don't secretly have a friend that's a phoenix, do you?"

Mokou-tan
2014-12-05, 01:38 AM
Tsubaki shakes her head. "That's actually an old rivalry. I beat her in a tournament with overwhelming force before I started coming here. I was an unknown at the time, so she took it pretty bad."

banthesun
2014-12-05, 02:00 AM
"Oh, so it's like, a fighting thing?" Kyoko was unsure what this kind of rivalry actually entailed. "You seemed pretty friendly, I thought. Uh, appart from the actual fighting, that is."

Mokou-tan
2014-12-05, 02:27 AM
Tsubaki smiles. "Are you saying you can't be friendly with someone you want to eventually surpass or someone trying to surpass you? It's friendly competition."

banthesun
2014-12-05, 03:53 AM
"Well, generally, I don't headbutt my friends!" Kyoko laughed. "If that's how you show affection, I might have to reconsider!"

Mokou-tan
2014-12-05, 04:32 AM
Tsubaki chuckles softly. "Well, we aren't exactly friends. She always kept yelling at me for not doing the paperwork and leaving it all to her when I was running things. I kinda got forced into it, but since that's how it was, I only was willing to let someone who beat me take it. Then I had to step down for this program. I bet she feels cheated."

banthesun
2014-12-05, 05:33 AM
"Huh, I thought you seemed pretty close... Apart from the headbutting, that is," replied Kyoko. "I guess I don't know much about that stuff though. What's so important about winning a fight like that?"

Mokou-tan
2014-12-05, 05:39 AM
Tsubaki laughs a little. "That's because of a little thing known as Warrior's Pride. I was an unknown runt who entered out of nowhere and decimated her, who had been the favorite. Things like that will hurt some people's pride."

banthesun
2014-12-05, 06:04 AM
"If you say so. I just don't understand it, myself." Kyoko shrugged, and continued, "I guess it's 'cause I'm not a warrior, afterall."

Mokou-tan
2014-12-05, 12:24 PM
Tsubaki smiles, knowing that would be Kyoko's response. "It's better that you don't, it's one of the stupidest things ever."

banthesun
2014-12-08, 02:47 AM
Kyoko burst out in laughter. "Hahahaha! At least you're admitting it! I guess if you're still having fun it's alright though! Just that I'd never want to do stuff like that!"

Mokou-tan
2014-12-08, 02:58 AM
Tsubaki laughs with her. "Yeah, I know it's stupid. I also know it's a large part of who I am and without it, I'd be a lot... Different."

banthesun
2014-12-08, 07:56 AM
"You don't say!" laughed Kyoko. No matter how she tried, she couldn't imagine a Tsubaki who wasn't interested in martial arts and fighting. "I guess that's just you! Just, try not to get hurt, okay? Uh, hurt more, I guess..." she clarified, remembering the fights she'd already seen.

Mokou-tan
2014-12-08, 06:48 PM
Tsubaki gives a bright smile to Kyoko. "Don't worry. No matter what, I'll always make it home. That's just how it is."

banthesun
2014-12-09, 05:31 AM
Kyoko couldn't return Tsubaki's smile, her reply had reminded her of something she'd said earlier in the conversation.

"He managed to walk home afterwards and died in my arms."

Kyoko felt cold at the thought. "Tsubaki..." started Kyoko, before falling silent. Had Tsubaki really not realised what she'd said? "Okay."

If that's how it was, Kyoko would just have to keep an eye out for her herself.

Mokou-tan
2014-12-09, 05:46 AM
Tsubaki's smile doesn't die down, knowing what Kyoko was thinking about. "Don't think of me as just some little house cat! I'm a tiger!"

banthesun
2014-12-09, 06:35 AM
She knew what she was saying, and yet was still that flippant about it? Kyoko frowned.

"If you say so..." she replied.

Mokou-tan
2014-12-09, 06:56 AM
Tsubaki's smile subdues itself a bit. "If you lose confidence, you'll never be able to back up your claims. If I wasn't as confident in myself as I am, I'd be as easy to overtake as our adorable Miyuki."

banthesun
2014-12-09, 07:04 AM
Kyoko relaxed a bit. "I guess you're right... Heheh, I don't think there's many people with as much confidence as you, after all!"

Mokou-tan
2014-12-09, 07:11 AM
Tsubaki chuckled. "Fumiko tries to, and that big guy I threw for picking on Miyuki never learns his lesson no matter how many times I beat him. You'd think he'd learn once a girl half his size throws him, but no. Poor guy must have some kinda brain damage."

banthesun
2014-12-09, 11:12 PM
"Ugh, that guy? I heard a few things about him. I don't know why they haven't expelled him already!" Kyoko exclaimed. "Wait, what if he-" Kyoko's eyes widened, and she made a motion as to grab Tsubaki's shouders before stopping herself. "He couldn't be, nooooooo... Just, what if- what if he's a persona user too!"

Mokou-tan
2014-12-09, 11:25 PM
Tsubaki's smile turns wild at the thought. "Well, that would give me reason to stop holding back, now wouldn't it? That would be a really interesting situation." A little giggle escapes her lips as she thinks some more on it.

banthesun
2014-12-10, 12:23 AM
"What? No!" Kyoko clearly thought the possibility was a terrible one. "Like, what if he's with the bad guys, and we have to put up with him at school even though we know he's bad! And that's not even thinking about all the stuff these persona guys are controlling and that!"

Mokou-tan
2014-12-10, 12:37 AM
Tsubaki drops off her bed onto the floor, still grinning. "Well, I know what I'd do in that situation. It's a very simple solution that opens up once someone has become an enemy. If that happens, I'll deal with it, okay?"

banthesun
2014-12-10, 01:03 AM
Of course I shouldn't have expected Tsubaki to be subtle about something like that...

Kyoko looked a bit more worried at Tsubaki's response. "You can't just accept something like that would happen! He can't really be a persona user, right? That's not how things actually work!"

Mokou-tan
2014-12-10, 01:18 AM
Tsubaki chuckles softly. "Don't worry about it, if it comes to that, Cu Chulainn and I will deal with him. Gae Bolg is 'The Spear of Mortal Death'."

banthesun
2014-12-10, 01:33 AM
Kyoko waved her hands in front of herself. "No no! Don't do that! I mean, he's gross, and mean, and he really seems like a horrible person... But it shouldn't be necessary to do that, should it?"

Mokou-tan
2014-12-10, 02:03 AM
Tsubaki shakes her head. "As far as we know, he's currently normal, which means I'll deal with him in a normal fashion, as I have been. If he turns out to be an enemy with such a dangerous power, though, I'll do it myself. That way, nobody else has to."

banthesun
2014-12-10, 02:26 AM
"Ah, right..." Kyoko didn't look too impressed.

Ugh, she's talking about worrying stuff again...

"Well, it's not like that's actually likely!" she protested. "Just, you'd think the school would have done something about him by now!"

Mokou-tan
2014-12-10, 02:31 AM
Tsubaki shrugs. "People either pay to go here or they get a scholarship. Schools are a business as well, ya know? As long as he doesn't decrease the amount of money they get, why should they care? In other words, as it is now, there is no reason to boot him and lose the money his parents pay."

banthesun
2014-12-10, 03:30 AM
"It's not really that bad, is it?" asked Kyoko. Tsubaki's words had made her realise she'd never asked her parents how they were paying for her new school, she'd been so upset about leaving her old one. "And the school has it's reputation to consider too, right? Wait! I should be arguing the reasons he could stay, because he doesn't have a persona, okay!"

Mokou-tan
2014-12-10, 03:40 AM
Tsubaki smiles. "Their reputation is based on the test scores of smart students like you. Get good grades and high scores on tests? 'Hey, look! We produce students like that!' If you don't? Well, they got your tuition and they'll pretend you don't exist. You just avoid giving mention to the bad and hype up the good to obscure it further. Simple practice really."

banthesun
2014-12-10, 04:23 AM
Kyoko flinched at the mention of her getting good scores. "It can't really be that bad, can it?" she repeated. "I mean, someone would have to speak out about it!"

Mokou-tan
2014-12-10, 04:32 AM
Once again, Tsubaki chuckles. "You want to tell me who this 'someone' is? It's not me, I don't have a voice worth hearing. I just happen to have enough strength to knock him around."

banthesun
2014-12-10, 05:02 AM
"I meant teachers and stuff!" replied Kyoko. "Or maybe parents or someone. It can't really be making that much money, right?"

Mokou-tan
2014-12-10, 05:11 AM
Tsubaki smiles and shakes her head. "My parents aren't going to bother and I'm not planning to tell them he's a problem. I've always solved my own problems. As far as teachers, they only really have authority when they catch you. Otherwise, it's your word against his and if he does something off school grounds, well, you're completely out of luck unless you want to get the police involved." Tsubaki pauses for a moment, shifting the topic slightly. "Do you have anything for self defense? You know, just in case?"

banthesun
2014-12-10, 05:54 AM
Kyoko frowned slightly, she didn't really aggree with what Tsubaki was saying about teachers. She was thinking about what to say in reply when she was taken off guard by Tsubaki shifting the topic.

"What? No? Why would I need something like that? He's not going to- you know?" asked Kyoko, looking rather concerned with this line of questioning.

Mokou-tan
2014-12-10, 06:13 AM
Tsubaki laughs and kicks her trunk open. "You can never be too careful, he tried bullying Miyuki, after all. If he shakes you down or something and I catch it, I'll make him wish he didn't come to school. But, if I'm not there, it's good to be able to defend yourself." She dug through her chest as she spoke turning back to Kyoko once she found what she was looking for. The little warrior holds a small can of pepper spray, small enough to easily fit in a bag or be clipped to a keyring. "It has a little grip, so if it feels comfortable, just squeeze hard and direct the stream to his eyes. It's not a toy and it burns like hell."

banthesun
2014-12-10, 06:30 AM
"Uh, thanks..."

Kyoko cautiously accepted the can. She knew what pepper spray was, and what it was used for, but she didn't really feel comfortable carrying something like that. Carrying a weapon, as she thought of it. Hopefully she wouldn't have to use it...

"I should probably take this stuff back to my room..." Kyoko pondered aloud, looking at the book Tsubaki had lent her, deposited on the bunk under Tsubaki's along with Kyoko's teddy bear. "Anything more and I won't be able to carry it all..."

Mokou-tan
2014-12-10, 06:36 AM
Tsubaki scratches the back of her head. "Eheh, yeah... That book is really big. It was the only one I could find that wasn't watered down and came in Japanese. I didn't want to have to learn Gaelic to learn about Cu Chulainn."

banthesun
2014-12-10, 07:18 AM
Taking extreme care of the can of pepper spray, Kyoko picked the book and her soft toy back up. "Thanks... It's been really interesting talking to you!" Perhaps too interesting, Kyoko was having trouble keeping all of it in her head. "Uh, I won't tell anyone about your magical girls books if you don't want me to... But I still don't think it's something you should have to hide!"

Mokou-tan
2014-12-10, 07:37 AM
Tsubaki gets the door for Kyoko, smiling as she does. "Let's agree to disagree on that subject, shall we? Anyway, we should hang out sometime in the future."

banthesun
2014-12-10, 08:16 AM
Kyoko smiled back. This definitely was a step foward, before hand Tsubaki had been telling her they couldn't even be seen together! "Sure, lets! I'll be sure to read the book and tell you what I think too! Talk to you later!"

After returning to her room, Kyoko made sure to place the can of pepperspray carefully in her bag, hidden under her folders and books. She really hoped Tsubaki was just being overprotective of her...