PDA

View Full Version : Craft Skill Question

Yogibear41
2014-11-18, 08:04 AM
I heard there was a rule that if you had one craft skill, and wanted to create something that was similar to your craft but not exactly what you had you could peform the check at a -2 penalty. For example if I had Craft: Blacksmithing, I could use it as Craft: Armorsmithing or Craft: Weaponsmithing with a -2 penalty on the roll. Is this true or is it just a rumor I heard somewhere, if anyone has a reference for the rule that would be great.

KillianHawkeye
2014-11-18, 02:55 PM
I've never seen anything even remotely similar to this. It certainly isn't in the PHB description of the Craft skill. I would say that this is probably somebody's house rule.

Fouredged Sword
2014-11-18, 03:12 PM
A craft skill ether works or it doesn't. Craft skills may overlap though. A blacksmith can make a metal sword as well as a weaponsmith. The weaponsmith can't then turn around and make a iron door, nor can the blacksmith make a deep crystal sword.

Weaponsmith and armorsmith are just the two craft skills that apply to a set of equipment in general. Other craft skills may apply to some weapons and some armor but not others.