PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Catastrophic Dragons in 5e

JamesIntrocaso
2014-11-18, 09:00 AM
Hey all. I tried my hand at making a blizzard dragon for 5e. Check it out and let me know what you think! http://worldbuilderblog.me/2014/11/18/catastrophic-dragons-blizzard/

Valefor Rathan
2014-11-18, 11:23 AM
I, for one, welcome our new elemental dragon overlords.

With that said, I think it would be awesome to do one campaign where these mad beasts get free and wreck the world for a bit then do another campaign (set a good deal of time later) where people are trying to take them out.

JamesIntrocaso
2014-11-18, 11:33 AM
I, for one, welcome our new elemental dragon overlords.

With that said, I think it would be awesome to do one campaign where these mad beasts get free and wreck the world for a bit then do another campaign (set a good deal of time later) where people are trying to take them out.

That sounds like a ton of fun! Maybe someone devises a way to kill a bunch of chromatic dragons in the first campaign, which is good since they're the main villain... but oh crap it releases all the catastrophics!

Valefor Rathan
2014-11-18, 11:56 AM
Pretty much exactly what I was thinking.

And unless the PC group has some crazy knowledge scores (or something) they don't even know about the catastrophic dragons. The "heroes" then live or die being the cause of the End of the World As They Know It.

This could be a great set up for the Dystopia thread. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?383539-Dystopias)

Valefor Rathan
2014-11-18, 12:00 PM
Now that I'm in world-building/roleplaying mode, I'm processing this whole thing in a way to cross it over to my new character thread I posted.

You, dear sir, are brilliant.

JamesIntrocaso
2014-11-18, 12:01 PM
Pretty much exactly what I was thinking.

And unless the PC group has some crazy knowledge scores (or something) they don't even know about the catastrophic dragons. The "heroes" then live or die being the cause of the End of the World As They Know It.

This could be a great set up for the Dystopia thread. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?383539-Dystopias)

Oooooo that is a sweet idea. Maybe there are little hints dropped here and there so when it all comes together there's a perfect, "How did we not see that coming?" moment.

Gotta love dystopias. That thread is great!

JamesIntrocaso
2014-11-18, 12:02 PM
Now that I'm in world-building/roleplaying mode, I'm processing this whole thing in a way to cross it over to my new character thread I posted.

You, dear sir, are brilliant.

Hey this was your idea and it is a great one! Love collaborating with cool people!

mister__joshua
2014-11-19, 10:37 AM
I'm all for a community/collaborative effort if a few people wanted to get involved and have similar lines of thinking.

The Catastrophic Dragons would play very well into the Scorched Earth event mentioned in the Dystopias thread, with a little bit of BBEG thrown on top.

I didn't play 4e beyond a couple of sessions. Would the CDragons be easy to convert to 5e?

As a setting, I'm very much more interested in the 'after' part of the world, though there's no reason you can't have a world with differing timelines.

When considering settings, in particular dystopian ones, I like a strong emphasis on subverting the norm. One idea I like playing with in a scorched setting is corrupted druids or evil druids or something along those lines.

JamesIntrocaso
2014-11-19, 10:45 AM
I'm all for a community/collaborative effort if a few people wanted to get involved and have similar lines of thinking.

The Catastrophic Dragons would play very well into the Scorched Earth event mentioned in the Dystopias thread, with a little bit of BBEG thrown on top.

I didn't play 4e beyond a couple of sessions. Would the CDragons be easy to convert to 5e?

As a setting, I'm very much more interested in the 'after' part of the world, though there's no reason you can't have a world with differing timelines.

When considering settings, in particular dystopian ones, I like a strong emphasis on subverting the norm. One idea I like playing with in a scorched setting is corrupted druids or evil druids or something along those lines.

Oooo. I like this thinking! I'm converting Catastrophic Dragons to 5e on my blog this week and next. Should be 5 total by the time I'm done. Blizzard, Typhoon, Tornado, Earthquake, and Volcanic. Blizzard is already up and Earthquake is going up tomorrow at 9AM Eastern.

I'm definitely open to feedback for the monsters so let me know!

http://worldbuilderblog.me/

mister__joshua
2014-11-19, 11:33 AM
Yes, sorry. I'd already read that. I don't even know why I put that part :P

Would it be possible to put the 4th edition stats up somewhere for comparison? I have the 5e MM fr the current dragons.

When thinking of a setting it's useful to think of how you want the game to play and work backwards. Somehow these dragons have been unleashed, either one, a few, or all of them. This will mean a lot of Chromatic dragons have died. Where are the Metallic Dragons? I think the setting could work better if the Chromatics were completely replaced with the new dragons, and the Metallics are the ones responsible for keeping them, only they've lost. This would result in the Catastrophic's running amok [they may require a change of name as catastrophic is quite a mouthful in a campaign setting ;)]

Then it's on to thinking what the world would be like now. For proper humanity-destroying consequences Blizzard (ice age) is a good call, or Volcanic (razed earth). Earthquake is harder to do while still leaving some of humanity in tact. The wind ones don't seem as life-ending.

JamesIntrocaso
2014-11-19, 12:06 PM
Yes, sorry. I'd already read that. I don't even know why I put that part :P

Would it be possible to put the 4th edition stats up somewhere for comparison? I have the 5e MM fr the current dragons.

When thinking of a setting it's useful to think of how you want the game to play and work backwards. Somehow these dragons have been unleashed, either one, a few, or all of them. This will mean a lot of Chromatic dragons have died. Where are the Metallic Dragons? I think the setting could work better if the Chromatics were completely replaced with the new dragons, and the Metallics are the ones responsible for keeping them, only they've lost. This would result in the Catastrophic's running amok [they may require a change of name as catastrophic is quite a mouthful in a campaign setting ;)]

Then it's on to thinking what the world would be like now. For proper humanity-destroying consequences Blizzard (ice age) is a good call, or Volcanic (razed earth). Earthquake is harder to do while still leaving some of humanity in tact. The wind ones don't seem as life-ending.

Hurricanes (aka typhoons in the Pacific) and tornadoes have, unfortunately, killed loads of people, so they're pretty dangerous too. They tear whole structures from the ground, flood areas, and rearrange landscapes with ease.

I'm not sure I can legally post the 4e statistics for the catastrophic dragons, since you can still see their stats if you pay for D&D Insider. If you have D&D Insider though you can search for them. Or if you want to find copies they were in the Monster Manual 3, and Dragon Magazine 424 and 425.

The story is certainly yours to modify as you see fit. Having metallic dragons be keepers also works well.

mister__joshua
2014-11-19, 01:45 PM
Oh yeah, I wasn't implying that they were any less deadly or catastrophic. What I meant was for world ending, food destroying events they probably wouldn't be as harsh and catastrophic as a worldwide blizzard or volcano. Depends on the situation of course.

I've been thinking some more about this (and it probably belongs in it's own thread at this point) but I'm going to post it back in the Dystopia thread then maybe create a new thread in the World-Building subforum

JamesIntrocaso
2014-11-19, 01:46 PM
Oh yeah, I wasn't implying that they were any less deadly or catastrophic. What I meant was for world ending, food destroying events they probably wouldn't be as harsh and catastrophic as a worldwide blizzard or volcano. Depends on the situation of course.

I've been thinking some more about this (and it probably belongs in it's own thread at this point) but I'm going to post it back in the Dystopia thread then maybe create a new thread in the World-Building subforum

Very cool! Yeah an ice age or burnt age is a pretty badass idea!

mister__joshua
2014-11-20, 04:22 AM
I've moved the world building discussion to here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?384497-Fantasy-Dystopia&p=18429248#post18429248) if anyone wants to get involved.

Thanks

Valefor Rathan
2014-11-20, 08:06 AM
...aaaaaaaaaaaand I'm involved.

Hooray!

JamesIntrocaso
2014-11-20, 09:11 AM
I'ma go get involved too. Also... Earthquake Dragons - http://worldbuilderblog.me/2014/11/20/catastrophic-dragons-earthquake/

JamesIntrocaso
2014-11-25, 08:50 AM
And here's the volcanic!

http://worldbuilderblog.me/2014/11/25/catastrophic-dragons-volcanic/

mister__joshua
2014-11-27, 07:39 AM
They look ace. Are the pics the 4e ones? I need more time to sit and work on things now... :D

JamesIntrocaso
2014-11-27, 07:55 AM
Those are the 4e pictures! Thanks! Typhoon and Tornado are coming.

Tvtyrant
2014-11-28, 12:26 AM
The Ancient Blizzard Dragon seems to have low AC to me. A bog standard level 20 Barbarian has an 87% chance to hit it each attack, which is quite a lot. This is without any magic items or using advantage.

mister__joshua
2014-11-28, 06:35 AM
I'm AFB but I believe they are just based off the AC of the appropriate Legendary Dragon from the MM, so if an Ancient Blizzard Dragon has an AC of 20, that'll be because a White Dragon also does.

JamesIntrocaso
2014-11-28, 01:35 PM
I'm AFB but I believe they are just based off the AC of the appropriate Legendary Dragon from the MM, so if an Ancient Blizzard Dragon has an AC of 20, that'll be because a White Dragon also does.

Indeed. That's correct. 20 AC is still pretty high with bounded accuracy. Tiamat only has 25 AC and she's Challenge 30!

JamesIntrocaso
2014-12-02, 09:02 AM
And here's the typhoon dragon!

http://worldbuilderblog.me/2014/12/02/catastrophic-dragons-typhoon/

Let me know what you think!

JamesIntrocaso
2014-12-04, 08:53 AM
Last but not least, the tornado dragon!

http://worldbuilderblog.me/2014/12/04/catastrophic-dragons-tornado/ (http://worldbuilderblog.me/2014/12/04/catastrophic-dragons-tornado/)

SpawnOfMorbo
2014-12-04, 05:50 PM
My first thought was Robot Chicken's

"My little pony, apocalypse pony, punish mankind for their sins.."

But you know, with dragons...

JamesIntrocaso
2014-12-04, 05:53 PM

What a compliment!!!! Thanks.

SpawnOfMorbo
2014-12-04, 07:46 PM
When you introduce these dragons in a game you better $&@%$ play that robot chicken sound bite....

Or I'll be disappointed :smalltongue:

MReav
2014-12-04, 09:51 PM

Am I a bad person if I disagree with this?

Though now I'm seeing Groudon and Kygore.

SpawnOfMorbo
2014-12-05, 01:05 PM
Am I a bad person if I disagree with this?

Though now I'm seeing Groudon and Kygore.

Yes, and they shall visit you for sinning.

No clue what those names are, I'm nerdy enough to play D&D but not nerdy enough to catch most names and references.

I actually hate Joss Whedon and think he is an over hyped hack... So I don't get to have a nerd card anymore.

JamesIntrocaso
2014-12-09, 08:55 AM
Here's the final product in a nice PDF for all your gaming/modding needs.

http://worldbuilderblog.me/2014/12/09/catastrophic-dragon-wrap-up/

JamesIntrocaso
2016-01-19, 08:42 AM
Just updated and made these bad boys a pay what you want PDF on the DMs Guild.

http://www.dmsguild.com/product/171480/Catastrophic-Dragons--World-Builder-Blog-Presents