PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here from CHicago?

Bhu
2014-11-18, 04:47 PM
I got a friend traveling through, and he's a big pro wrasslin' fan. He'd heard of this place ( http://www.thesquaredcircle.biz/ ) and wants to know if it's any good. Or failing that someplace he can get a decent meal. He'll prolly be coming in on I-90/94

Bhu
2014-11-19, 05:35 PM
Man, Illinois must have no gaming populace, this is the third site I've asked on.:smalleek:

Talar
2014-11-20, 12:44 AM
I know nothing about wrestling, but in terms of food there is a great Eastern European food place called the Bavarian Lodge on Ogden in Lisle(a southwest suburb), it has won awards for its beer list , on the north side there is a place called Barnaby's that has some good pizza that is not a touristy stop like Geno's East is. There are plenty of others, including Dan's Pizza on Maple Ave. in Downer's Grove (my personal favorite pizza). But yeah Chicago is one of those places that is rather gigantic and hard to capture in a single visit.

Bhu
2014-11-20, 06:16 PM
He'll be passing through for a day or so. He's really just looking for somewhere decent to eat, but since he's a wrasslin fan I thought I'd ask opinions when I came upon the squared circle. Alas there does not appear to be a huge gaming population in the area.

FinnLassie
2014-11-20, 06:37 PM
Well, the next best option would be to google reviews. TripAdvisor is usually a good source for those. Or Yelp.

Bhu
2014-11-21, 10:46 PM
I'm peeking through those as we type. I always feel better about doublechecking in the forums though.

Bulldog Psion
2014-11-23, 10:41 PM
I've been to Chicago on business trips a number of times, but I don't know about the wrestling, unfortunately.

When I visited, the traffic on I-90/94 made me think that I had located a portal to the 666 layers of the Abyss. I hope it's better now.

Flickerdart
2014-11-23, 11:13 PM
I know nothing about wrestling, but in terms of food there is a great Eastern European food place called the Bavarian Lodge on Ogden in Lisle(a southwest suburb), it has won awards for its beer list , on the north side there is a place called Barnaby's that has some good pizza that is not a touristy stop like Geno's East is. There are plenty of others, including Dan's Pizza on Maple Ave. in Downer's Grove (my personal favorite pizza). But yeah Chicago is one of those places that is rather gigantic and hard to capture in a single visit.
>Eastern European
>Bavaria

what

Bulldog Psion
2014-11-24, 01:35 AM
>Eastern European
>Bavaria

what

Yes, that is a little weird, isn't it?

"The South American fast food chain McDonald's..."

Bhu
2014-11-24, 02:51 AM
>Eastern European
>Bavaria

what

Perhaps their state had many german or east european immigrants in the past. I know mine does. Out of the 4 restaurants that are 'famous' in ohio, 2 are german food.

Razade
2014-11-24, 03:02 AM
Perhaps their state had many german or east european immigrants in the past. I know mine does. Out of the 4 restaurants that are 'famous' in ohio, 2 are german food.

Cleveland Ohio is one of the best culinary cities in the United States, what are you talking about? Between Little Italy and one of the largest East European Immigrant Populations not to mention places like West Side Market and The Flats not to mention a nationally sold Microbrewery in the Great Lakes Brewery it has way more than 4 "famous" restaurants. I'm an Ex-Pat from Akron myself so I've no love for the State but claiming that it somehow isn't one of the fastest growing culinary stops is just wrong. Hell, Cleveland even has an Iron Chef who owns three restaurants in the city. And that's not even bringing in Cincinnati and Skyline Chili or Columbus and it's pretty vibrant High Street.

AtlanteanTroll
2014-11-24, 11:48 AM
You're thinking too local to the Northern part of the State. Go broader. I think Bhu's probably talking about Der Dutchman, which is in the middle of nowhere but most people seem to know anyway, and the restaurant in the German Village in C-bus with the cream puffs as big as your head. The name is currently escaping me, but Schmidt's, I believe?

High-street's nice, but people can't just name the eateries on it. Not sure if Der Dutchman has any national renown, but Schmidt's definitely does.

Razade
2014-11-24, 02:51 PM
You're thinking too local to the Northern part of the State. Go broader. I think Bhu's probably talking about Der Dutchman, which is in the middle of nowhere but most people seem to know anyway, and the restaurant in the German Village in C-bus with the cream puffs as big as your head. The name is currently escaping me, but Schmidt's, I believe?

High-street's nice, but people can't just name the eateries on it. Not sure if Der Dutchman has any national renown, but Schmidt's definitely does.

I just gave them as examples. I said that was easily missing the rest of the major cities in the state. :smalltongue: But that just goes to show that there are a lot more than four "famous" restaurants in Ohio. Which was really my only point.

Bhu
2014-11-24, 03:41 PM

Yup. Schmidt's Sausage Haus and Katzingers Deli. Der Dutchman is great only if you're into food for old people.

I just gave them as examples. I said that was easily missing the rest of the major cities in the state. :smalltongue: But that just goes to show that there are a lot more than four "famous" restaurants in Ohio. Which was really my only point.

By 'famous' I meant has been on the travel channel, the food channel, etc. I wasn't implying we had no decent restaurants so much as there are few of them that get recognition outside of the state.

Razade
2014-11-24, 05:55 PM
By 'famous' I meant has been on the travel channel, the food channel, etc. I wasn't implying we had no decent restaurants so much as there are few of them that get recognition outside of the state.

Me too :smalltongue: No Reservations with Anthony Bourdain went to Cleveland, aforementioned Iron Chef's done several shows on his restaurants. Great Lakes Brewery has been on TV a few times. Cleveland is for real a culinary hot spot.

Talar
2014-11-24, 08:31 PM
>Eastern European
>Bavaria

what

It has both german food and ethnic Eastern European food, owner decided to name it the Bavarian Lodge. I just love their food, so I am not going to judge the logic.

AtlanteanTroll
2014-11-25, 01:20 AM
Yup. Schmidt's Sausage Haus and Katzingers Deli. Der Dutchman is great only if you're into food for old people.
Technically, Katzinger's is Jewish, not German, but ... ... damn. Now I want some.

Bhu
2014-11-26, 03:56 AM
In mah defense I have not been to Cleveland. Though I do like Bourdain.

Razade
2014-11-26, 12:37 PM
In mah defense I have not been to Cleveland. Though I do like Bourdain.

Ohio's a vast expanse of trees and corn farms with pockets of civilization flung out from it's center.

Bhu
2014-11-26, 06:04 PM
And Bigfoots. Can't forget the Bigfoots, lol.