PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed sanctified assassin

Shadowscale
2014-11-18, 06:02 PM
For a character concept I was looking for an assassin who casts divine spells and who can wear full plate and use say a greatsword, I know these things don't usually all go together but I was wondering if say on a 12th level character if it would be possible to build and still be effective?

Any prcs or feats that give this type of character divine spells akin to pathfinder's inquisitor or such.

hamishspence
2014-11-18, 06:08 PM
Black Flame Zealot from Complete Divine is an assassin-ish prestige class that advances divine casting, and has Death Attack.

Shadowscale
2014-11-18, 06:19 PM
Black Flame Zealot from Complete Divine is an assassin-ish prestige class that advances divine casting, and has Death Attack.
Any way to get greatsword proficiency easily without a feat? Since the class wont let you like worship kord with war domain and a level of cleric would give heavy armor profiency.

Kelb_Panthera
2014-11-18, 06:23 PM
Any way to get greatsword proficiency easily without a feat? Since the class wont let you like worship kord with war domain and a level of cleric would give heavy armor profiency.

Cleric is part of the expected entry so there's no reason not to pick up war domain. Which deity were the BFZ's associated with?

hamishspence
2014-11-18, 06:24 PM
The prestige class was designed around a specific deity - Kossuth. But that's not an absolute requirement. You could have another deity, with the same organisation. Fluffwise it should be a fire deity - hence the "flame" - but that's not in the prerequisites.

1 level of fighter, 1 of rogue, and the rest of cleric until the prerequisites are met, is probably the best option (it does require Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Kukri - but that doesn't mean you have to actually wield it).

Manly Man
2014-11-18, 06:32 PM
Well, there are a couple of options here. If you want to keep a strict Assassin feel to it, there's the Slayer of Domiel from Book of Exalted Deeds, which even requires two exalted feats. Another way that would still keep at least a similar function, as well as net you better spells, would be to make a Crusader/Cleric/Ruby Knight Vindicator. The RKV's access to Shadow Hand maneuvers, as well as spellcaster progression, lets you pick better options for stealthiness and whacking everything. You can still qualify for exalted feats and whatnot as well if you want to, so long as you pick the Lawful Good alignment. The Devoted Spirit maneuvers can help reinforce the 'sanctified' feel of it as well, and honestly, it all does it better than the Slayer of Domiel, if you ask me.

Thing is, if you go with the Crusader/Cleric/RKV build, you'll have to decide whether you want to have 9th-level spells or maneuvers. If you'd rather have the spells, go Cleric 4/Crusader 1/RKV7 (or 10, if you want, since by the time you hit 7 you'll be getting full casting from then on)/Cleric 8 (or 5), but if you'd rather do maneuvers, go for Crusader the rest of the way instead of Cleric.

Fax Celestis
2014-11-18, 06:33 PM
Also try Fist of Raziel. 9/10 divine casting advancement, gives simple and martial proficiency, full BAB. Cleric entry is ECL 9 (BAB +6 requirement), though if you don't mind losing a few caster levels you could do something like Cleric 4/Fighter 1/Prestige Paladin 2/Fist of Raziel X. Cha to saves, paladin spells onto the cleric list, stacking smite evil. You're down 3 caster levels, but honestly you're still winning the game, and if it really hurts that much you can pick up Practiced Spellcaster (Cleric) to at least get your CL back.

Or, if you don't want cleric casting and want an easier entry, you could do Paladin 6/Fist of Raziel X. Weaker casting, but earlier entry. With the right ACFs, paladins can be pretty boss.

Blackhawk748
2014-11-18, 06:44 PM
Shadowbane Stalker is a Rogue/Cleric PrC, and not terrible actually, you do have to be LG but otherwise the pre reqs are pretty light.

Red Fel
2014-11-18, 08:05 PM
Seconding RKV. It has everything you want.

1. You are employed by the clergy of Wee Jas, goddess of death. (Refluff if you want a different deity.) The class also requires the ability to Turn/Rebuke Undead. So you're likely coming off of either a Cleric or Paladin chassis. There's your divine angle.

2. As mentioned, you're a Cleric/Paladin, and probably also a Crusader. You have all the heavy proficiencies you need, and solid BAB as well.

3. Fluff-wise, RKVs are the assassins of Wee Jas' church. They kill people their goddess doesn't like. Mechanics-wise, you gain access to Shadow Hand maneuvers, the stuff of stealth and sneak attacks.

It's everything you want.

Thealtruistorc
2014-11-18, 10:28 PM
For a straight holy assassin, the slayer of Domiel prestige class from BoED fits the bill perfectly. The class is effectively a silent killer who serves the heavens, and provides interesting fluff opportunities.

Kelb_Panthera
2014-11-18, 11:33 PM
For a straight holy assassin, the slayer of Domiel prestige class from BoED fits the bill perfectly. The class is effectively a silent killer who serves the heavens, and provides interesting fluff opportunities.

Unfortunately, Slayer's death attack substitute is laughably inadequate.

Dusk Eclipse
2014-11-19, 12:02 AM
Unfortunately, Slayer's death attack substitute is laughably inadequate.

>Implying that Death Attack isn't laughaly inadequate
>>wat?

Kelb_Panthera
2014-11-19, 12:05 AM
>Implying that Death Attack isn't laughaly inadequate
>>wat?

Death attack can be pushed to useable. Slayer's death touch cannot.

Dusk Eclipse
2014-11-19, 12:10 AM
True, but getting Death Attack to an usable level needs you to be at least level 13 or to drop 21k GP in a wand, not really worth it in my opinion, at least not for PCs, NPC's on the other hand :smallamused:

Shadowscale
2014-11-19, 12:37 AM
True, but getting Death Attack to an usable level needs you to be at least level 13 or to drop 21k GP in a wand, not really worth it in my opinion, at least not for PCs, NPC's on the other hand :smallamused:
At level 13 how would you make it useful, skill focus?

Kelb_Panthera
2014-11-19, 12:59 AM

13 is the tipping point where its DC becomes roughly equal to the DC's of other level appropriate abilities, that value being approximately 10 + 1/2HD + ability mod.

Faily
2014-11-19, 12:35 PM
Another voice for Ruby Knight Vindicator, as it allows you to use Hide even while in armor (there's also a 2nd-level cleric spell that removes the penalty for Move Silently in armor).

Dusk Eclipse
2014-11-19, 01:08 PM
Ability focus is the feat you want to improve your Death Attack's DC, skill focus only works on... well skills.

13 is the tipping point where its DC becomes roughly equal to the DC's of other level appropriate abilities, that value being approximately 10 + 1/2HD + ability mod.

I was actually alluding to the fact that you get 4th level assassin spells at that level and I'm sure there is a 4th level assassin spell that reduces the study time for DA to one round, I just can't remember the name of the spell.

Phelix-Mu
2014-11-19, 01:30 PM
Also of note if you are contemplating rogue and cleric levels for whatever, there is a Dragon Magazine feat, Sacred Outlaw, that stacks cleric and rogue levels for Sneak Attack dice and Turn Undead. One of the better of the Dragon Magz theurgy feats (some of which were okay, most meh, a few just wtf).

Kelb_Panthera
2014-11-19, 02:34 PM
Ability focus is the feat you want to improve your Death Attack's DC, skill focus only works on... well skills.

I was actually alluding to the fact that you get 4th level assassin spells at that level and I'm sure there is a 4th level assassin spell that reduces the study time for DA to one round, I just can't remember the name of the spell.

Oh yeah, I know that one. It's deathsight.