PDA

View Full Version : Should spirit shaman be a barbarian subclass or a druid subclass ?

CyberThread
2014-11-18, 06:45 PM
Should spirit shaman be a barbarian subclass or a druid subclass ? I am thinking barbarian would be an eldritch knight like class. Using druid spell list with some sort of rage mage like class abilities.

While a druid version would be more of a summoned type with some rebuking of spirit type monsters.

Ashrym
2014-11-18, 07:08 PM
Should spirit shaman be a barbarian subclass or a druid subclass ? I am thinking barbarian would be an eldritch knight like class. Using druid spell list with some sort of rage mage like class abilities.

While a druid version would be more of a summoned type with some rebuking of spirit type monsters.

I concur. I was expecting to see something like that as the 3rd barbarian subclass, with 1/3 progression like arcane trickster and eldritch knight, but using divine spells of some sort.

Grayson01
2014-11-18, 07:22 PM
Mt first thought was Druid but your agrument has some merit I think Barb might work fairly well. What do you think about Dragon Shaman I have been thinking Subclass of the Pal?

CyberThread
2014-11-19, 10:44 AM
Mt first thought was Druid but your agrument has some merit I think Barb might work fairly well. What do you think about Dragon Shaman I have been thinking Subclass of the Pal?

Drag Sham could work for a pally, but not realy my strong suit.

Spirit Shaman does sound the most fun as a barbarian.

Falcon X
2014-11-19, 10:53 AM
It's a real world flavor question.

In the real world, Shamanism and Totem spirits are generally held by barbarian groups, with Native American tribes being the predominant.

Druidry has a completely different origin from Shamanism, and people would laugh if you tried to say they were the same thing, or branches of each other.

RealCheese
2014-11-19, 10:56 AM
I'd say barbarian subclass, druid spell list, EK spell progression, limits on spells outside of conjuration and divination?

Perseus
2014-11-19, 11:03 AM
I would love to see each new subclass go to multiple classes.

Spirit Shaman: Barbarian, Druid, Ranger, Cleric, and Bard.

Dragonfire Adept: Paladin, Wizard, Fighter, and Bard

Incanate: Fighter, Wizard, Rogue, and Warlock

Totemist: Barbarian, Monk, Sorcerer, and Rogue

Or something like that. Each can give similar but different options to each class.

You could have a field day with this.

Inevitability
2014-11-19, 11:33 AM
I concur. I was expecting to see something like that as the 3rd barbarian subclass, with 1/3 progression like arcane trickster and eldritch knight, but using divine spells of some sort.

Are you referring to Runescarred Berserker or Rage Mage? Both kind of fit with what you're describing here...

Perseus
2014-11-19, 12:12 PM
Are you referring to Runescarred Berserker or Rage Mage? Both kind of fit with what you're describing here...

Healing is mostly evocation I believe... Let the EK Fighter pick up spells from the Wiz/Clr list and you have a Red Mage (but with better armor and weapons).

Ah, I do miss my 4e hybrid Warlord/Sorcerer Redmage... Fricken fantastic.

Ashrym
2014-11-19, 01:21 PM
Are you referring to Runescarred Berserker or Rage Mage? Both kind of fit with what you're describing here... Either, but I was thinking rage mage with druid or cleric spells.

mephnick
2014-11-19, 01:39 PM
I honestly think it should be a druid subclass.

Just because someone comes from a barbarian tribe, doesn't mean they are the barbarian class. A barbarian shaman that communed with spirits would not be a barbarian (class), he'd be a spell-caster that belongs to a barbarian tribe. I think the flavour works much better with a spell-caster.

silveralen
2014-11-19, 02:21 PM
It's need some features to actually work well with barbarian (such as rage being kinda of an issue) but it could work.

Perseus
2014-11-19, 02:25 PM
It's need some features to actually work well with barbarian (such as rage being kinda of an issue) but it could work.

Spirit Rage
You may suspend your rage a number of rounds equal to (blank) in order to cast Spirit Shaman spells. You must attempt to cast a spirit shaman spell each round of suspended rage or your rage ends.

You gain your bonus rage damage to any Spirit Shaman spell you cast.

Spell DC: 8+Con Mod + Proficiency Bonus

Screw being MAD (lol) a Str/Con/Dex Barbarian Spirit Shaman sounds fun as hell.

Gwendol
2014-11-20, 10:42 AM
I honestly think it should be a druid subclass.

Just because someone comes from a barbarian tribe, doesn't mean they are the barbarian class. A barbarian shaman that communed with spirits would not be a barbarian (class), he'd be a spell-caster that belongs to a barbarian tribe. I think the flavour works much better with a spell-caster.

The problem with that line of reasoning is that druids would not typically belong to a barbarian tribe. Their allegiance is to their circle.

Spirit shaman ties in nicely with a barbarian totem, although having all shamans be beefy loincloth type axe-wielders is a bit narrow of a definition.

Cyan Wisp
2014-11-20, 01:28 PM
I'm currently playing a spirit shaman in 3.5e. Love it. Good flavour; very niche abilities, though. They were the first neo-vancians! He started quite magical melee-based (shillelagh, etc) up to 3rd level, then has become more of a blaster, controller, summoner and healer. Especially blaster and summoner.

Barbarian subclass?...not really. It would seem strange to delay access to spells until 3rd level - and maybe dissatisfying to a player who signed up for a shaman. Also, the rage seems incongruous for a contemplative mystical type. Also, what of more urban shamans? Barbarians conceptually come with cultural/flavour baggage.

I actually think the best fit might be... Cleric. Spirit domain with some druidy spells, druidy cantrips, spirit-based abilities, channel divinity against elementals and fey? After all, some of the Spirit Shaman's class abilities are quite clerical: Exorcism, Blessing/Warding of the spirits, Follow the Guide, their ghost-buster stuff, Chastise spirits.