PDA

View Full Version : Giving Magic Items to My NPCs

Nevereatcars
2014-11-18, 09:05 PM
My players have reached level 3 now, and since we're playing a game with a reasonable amount of magical influence and a few large wizard guilds, npcs and enemy bosses are probably going to start getting augmented with magic items. Things I've taken from reddit and the online rules, mostly, and nothing too incredible. My worry, though, is that if enemies start trucking around amulets of health and what-have-you, my players will kill them, and then they'll have magic items. Is it too early to give them access to such things? How have magic items, in the hands of either npcs or players, affected your games?

MaxWilson
2014-11-18, 09:23 PM
My players have reached level 3 now, and since we're playing a game with a reasonable amount of magical influence and a few large wizard guilds, npcs and enemy bosses are probably going to start getting augmented with magic items. Things I've taken from reddit and the online rules, mostly, and nothing too incredible. My worry, though, is that if enemies start trucking around amulets of health and what-have-you, my players will kill them, and then they'll have magic items. Is it too early to give them access to such things?

Yes. The DMG's not even out yet. For now, just give the NPCs feats and levels to make them interesting. Stay away from magic items for at least another two weeks.

Nevereatcars
2014-11-18, 09:28 PM
The full DMG's not out yet (except in Rome, apparently), but there's still a good 15 or so in the basic rules, so its not like there's no foundation of balanced magic items at all.

MaxWilson
2014-11-18, 09:48 PM
The full DMG's not out yet (except in Rome, apparently), but there's still a good 15 or so in the basic rules, so its not like there's no foundation of balanced magic items at all.

I was thinking more about the fact that there is no guidance on NPC construction yet. But if you want to go for it, go for it.

My limited experience so far in 5E is that it is more fun without them: items, especially powerful items, can overshadow class abilities to the point of making the game unrecognizable. (E.g. AC 26 without even using a shield or the Shield spell, which results in enemies who get +11 or +14 to-hit with advantage on every strike--when the PCs are 8th level.)

jkat718
2014-11-18, 11:34 PM
The full DMG's not out yet (except in Rome, apparently) *snip*

Wait, what? The DMG's out in Rome? :smallconfused:

Bohemond
2014-11-19, 12:49 AM
The full DMG's not out yet (except in Rome, apparently)

I actually live in Rome and since next session is up on Thursday I would love to get my hands on that!

Nevereatcars
2014-11-19, 02:04 AM
Oh wow I accidentally derailed my own thread. Yes, a Roman bloke on the Enworld forums got a copy of the DMG way before street date. link: http://www.enworld.org/forum/content.php?2056-Someone-Has-The-DUNGEON-MASTER-S-GUIDE!#.VGxAKoo77CR

On magic items: 26 AC seems excessive, but honestly, I can just not give out that kind of thing. I'm guessing +3 plate mail and some other tripe I haven't seen yet. OP seems like it's just one of those things you have to be on the lookout for.

jkat718
2014-11-19, 11:56 AM
Oh wow I accidentally derailed my own thread. Yes, a Roman bloke on the Enworld forums got a copy of the DMG way before street date. link: http://www.enworld.org/forum/content.php?2056-Someone-Has-The-DUNGEON-MASTER-S-GUIDE!#.VGxAKoo77CR

On magic items: 26 AC seems excessive, but honestly, I can just not give out that kind of thing. I'm guessing +3 plate mail and some other tripe I haven't seen yet. OP seems like it's just one of those things you have to be on the lookout for.

Wow, thanks! That's a fantastic resource. :smallbiggrin: And yeah, you're kinda undermining yourself there. :smalltongue: For your campaign, I'd probably recommend only giving those NPCs that would be difficult to kill (high CR, heavily guarded, protected by DM fiat...) or where killing them is the objective (High Priest of an evil cult, the BBEG, hoard monsters...). That way, the magic item is either unattainable (case 1) or they would get it anyway (case 2).

brainface
2014-11-19, 01:46 PM
If you just wanted to stress the magical nature of the world, you could give them niche or unusual magic items. An amulet that assists swim checks, animate rope, ye old folding boat, portable holes. Maybe something like a ritual book they can't quite decipher yet beyond a spell or two. Those sort of things are way more interesting than plate mail +3 anyway. ^_^

Nevereatcars
2014-11-19, 03:32 PM
If you just wanted to stress the magical nature of the world, you could give them niche or unusual magic items. An amulet that assists swim checks, animate rope, ye old folding boat, portable holes. Maybe something like a ritual book they can't quite decipher yet beyond a spell or two. Those sort of things are way more interesting than plate mail +3 anyway. ^_^

"Minor" is the key word I've been using. Nothing stat-boosting or incredible. Some things I've got on the backburner are a group of NPC adventurers who are neutral to the party instead of straight enemies: their one interaction with the group was a chance encounter with one member, who they ended up killing, but the nocs are higher level and didn't have many problems raising him. They're a gaming-themed group and I gave them each a pack of cards, the 10 and 4 of which they can use as basically walkie talkies ("10-4, good fellow"). The cards have limited range, but not as limited as Message.

Another is the Apparatus of Kwalish, which is as delightful as it is functionally impaired. That would be the possession of a lieutenant of my BBEG. The Monk at my table really wants a robot, so I thought I'd kill him with one. Not really sure about this item; consensus on the Wondrous Items thread was that it was pretty bad, but I'll probably hold on to it for a while.

Rallicus
2014-11-19, 06:52 PM
If you're worried about the PCs snagging good magic items from NPCs, you could always make it so the magic items can only be attuned to the NPCs themselves. Once the NPC dies, the object becomes inert and cannot be re-attuned.

Xetheral
2014-11-21, 07:29 PM
If you're worried about the PCs snagging good magic items from NPCs, you could always make it so the magic items can only be attuned to the NPCs themselves. Once the NPC dies, the object becomes inert and cannot be re-attuned.

Unless the existence of that sort of item is an important plot point (e.g. exotic blood magic or some such), such an approach is liable to lead to frustrated players. Even if there *is* a plot reason, ideally in such a circumstance the PC's would be able to learn how to use the items (although depending on the "cost" they may not choose to). Otherwise it risks coming across to the players as unfair.

Greylind
2014-11-27, 12:18 AM
Unless the existence of that sort of item is an important plot point (e.g. exotic blood magic or some such), such an approach is liable to lead to frustrated players. Even if there *is* a plot reason, ideally in such a circumstance the PC's would be able to learn how to use the items (although depending on the "cost" they may not choose to). Otherwise it risks coming across to the players as unfair.

I accomplished it when repurposing older modules by making some items somewhat uncomfortable for the players, which won't work for all groups. The +1 Morningstar used by the Priest of the Horseman of War was designed and described to look like a black iron angel, bound, gagged, and pierced through with multiple greatswords. The players elected to turn it over to the local Lawful Good church for safekeeping/destruction, and they were paid a small bounty in exchange. Other items were replaced by less powerful specific boosts, such as turning a +1 shield in the original module into a +0 shield that can cast Shield one time per day.

MinaBee
2014-11-27, 02:51 PM
My advice would be not to give any magic items to NPCs that you wouldn't want your players to have. Like, even to their allies. They will find a way to take their stuff.