PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Converting 3.5e character sheet to 5e

nothingforyou
2014-11-19, 01:50 PM
To be certain I'm not missing anything, here are the steps I should take:

1) Replace BAB with proficiency bonus.
2) Remove skill ranks for cross-class skills.
3) Replace skill ranks for class skills with proficiency bonus.
4) Remove base save bonus for bad saves.
5) Replace base save bonus for good saves with proficiency bonus.
6) Add tool proficiencies.
7) Readjust ability score increases and feats according to 5e progression.

Two questions:
1) How should I (fairly as possible) determine what tool proficiencies to give? What tool proficiencies would a Factotum get?
2) Since 5e has 6 saves, one for each ability, should I add more saves for a converted character which originally only had 3 saves?

hymer
2014-11-19, 01:56 PM
It looks somewhat... off. BAB is not the same as proficiency bonus, for instance, and class skills/not class skills conversion could net you with far more or far fewer skill proficiencies than you should have. And different ones, too.
I'd say your best bet is to reconstruct the character from scratch.

Knaight
2014-11-19, 01:57 PM
To be certain I'm not missing anything, here are the steps I should take:

1) Replace BAB with proficiency bonus.
2) Remove skill ranks for cross-class skills.
3) Replace skill ranks for class skills with proficiency bonus.
4) Remove base save bonus for bad saves.
5) Replace base save bonus for good saves with proficiency bonus.
6) Add tool proficiencies.
7) Readjust ability score increases and feats according to 5e progression.

Two questions:
1) How should I (fairly as possible) determine what tool proficiencies to give? What tool proficiencies would a Factotum get?
2) Since 5e has 6 saves, one for each ability, should I add more saves for a converted character which originally only had 3 saves?

Steps 2 and 3 also have to acknowledge the change in what the skills are - then there's the matter of character abilities, which don't necessarily transfer over directly without breaking. It might be easier to just redesign the character using the new mechanics from the same concept.

Demonic Spoon
2014-11-19, 02:01 PM
Are you talking about porting a class to 5e, or a built character sheet?

Don't even try to do the latter; it'll just be a mess. You can port a class, and then rebuild a new character in 5e with that class, and that's about as far as you can reasonably go.

1. I'd say that a factotum could reasonably have any 3 tool proficiencies he wanted.

2. Again, don't try to convert characters, convert the class. In 5e, all classes have proficiency in two types of saving throws, pick from those.

OldTrees1
2014-11-19, 03:09 PM
Perhaps an example from the OP as to what is being converted? Converting a Class, Rebuilding a Character, and Converting a Character are very different and have different steps. A concrete example would help give both concrete and abstract advice.

Vogonjeltz
2014-11-19, 05:29 PM
1. I'd say that a factotum could reasonably have any 3 tool proficiencies he wanted.

2. Again, don't try to convert characters, convert the class. In 5e, all classes have proficiency in two types of saving throws, pick from those.

Mmm, wasn't the Factotum's watchword 'flexability'? Something to note: anyone can train to pick up language and tool proficiencies. So those are intrinsically less valuable, in this system, than skill/save/weapon proficiencies which all require a feat to acquire (assuming single classing).

To emulate the factotum and their ability to dabble in everything (and avoid retreading the exact same ground the Bard has already covered), I'd give the Factotum some permanent proficiencies and some floating ones. So, languages would be permanent, but the Factotum could float 1 save and 2 skill proficiencies every morning. The other save and the other 2 skills (I would grant them 4 class skill proficiencies) would be permanent. For class abilities (because floating proficiencies, while cool, is probably not enough) I'd grant them inspiration points (though that name obviously would need to change given that 5th has inspiration points) with which they could emulate other classes features on the fly.

As the class gains levels, it's inspiration point total increases, with the higher level features costing more points to pull off.
Some examples:
Improvised handling: gain proficiency in a weapon/armor of your choosing for a number of hours equal to 1/2 your factotum level. Cost 1 inspiration use.
Clever adaptation: bonus action, add proficiency bonus to a skill for one check. 1 inspiration use.
Think fast: reaction, add proficiency bonus to a save for one check. 2 inspiration use.
Faking it (Klaatu, Verata, Nic*cough*): action and bonus action, cast a spell you have seen someone use before. costs 1 inspiration point per spell level. Your casting stat is the same as the class you saw cast it. (i.e. if a Wizard cast the spell, use Int; if it was a Warlock, use Charisma, etc...)

Studied Faker: Pick one cantrip from any class list, you can now cast this at will, your casting stat is the same as whatever class it comes from (i.e. Int for Wizard, Wis for Cleric, etc...).

Recover all inspiration points after a long rest or 3 inspiration points after a short rest.

Probably needs alot more tweaking.

Demonic Spoon
2014-11-19, 05:31 PM
Mmm, wasn't the Factotum's watchword 'flexability'? Something to note: anyone can train to pick up language and tool proficiencies. So those are intrinsically less valuable, in this system, than skill/save/weapon proficiencies which all require a feat to acquire (assuming single classing).

Yup; it wouldn't be a major class feature, more or a nod to the fact that factotums probably would be skilled at a wide variety of trades.

nothingforyou
2014-11-19, 09:02 PM
Perhaps an example from the OP as to what is being converted? Converting a Class, Rebuilding a Character, and Converting a Character are very different and have different steps. A concrete example would help give both concrete and abstract advice.

Explicitly, I wanted a most general guideline, so that I could convert super-heavy PrC'd builds without having to port all of the individual classes and PrCs over (speaking of which, AFAIK there are no PrCs in 5e yet).

Here are possible builds that might want to be ported.

Cleric 4/Crusader 1/Ruby Knight Vindicator 10/Contemplative 5
Factotum 19/Warblade 1
Druid 10/Master of Many Forms 10

To be clear, I have no real reason to actually port any of these, I could just rebuild a general theme from the existing 5e classes. But making a few stat changes is a ton easier than trying to rebuild a bunch of characters from a theme. Especially when the mechanical effect I desire has no corollary in 5e.

OldTrees1
2014-11-19, 11:04 PM
Explicitly, I wanted a most general guideline, so that I could convert super-heavy PrC'd builds without having to port all of the individual classes and PrCs over (speaking of which, AFAIK there are no PrCs in 5e yet).

Here are possible builds that might want to be ported.

Cleric 4/Crusader 1/Ruby Knight Vindicator 10/Contemplative 5
Factotum 19/Warblade 1
Druid 10/Master of Many Forms 10

To be clear, I have no real reason to actually port any of these, I could just rebuild a general theme from the existing 5e classes. But making a few stat changes is a ton easier than trying to rebuild a bunch of characters from a theme. Especially when the mechanical effect I desire has no corollary in 5e.
Ah. Tricky.

We would have to greatly compromise Precision and Accuracy in order to create Ease of Use. But here is my attempt at abstracted full build conversions:

Step 1) BAB + 3.5 Proficiencies -> 5E proficiencies & Extra Attack(x1) at 5th IF BAB was 3.5/4HD or better.

Step 2) Remove casting. Replace with minimum 5E casting to reach an equal spell level. Look at Arcane Trickster, Paladin and Cleric to determine the number of spells prepared per day.

Step 3) Gain Proficiency in your highest Save and its sibling. (Str/Con, Dex/Int, Wis/Cha)

Step 4) Remove all bonuses. Yes this includes the benefits from some class features.

Step 5) Convert your skill list to the 5E skill list. Choose 4(+1 if Human, +2 if Half-Elf, +1 if a Skillmonkey, +1 more if a Rogue) of your skills to be Proficient in. Remove all skill ranks.

Step 6) Remove your ability scores and use 5E point buy. Remember that your ability modifier is going to be your only way to improve your non proficient skills.

Step 7) Gather up every feature/feat/ability of your character. Put them in order of most essential to your concept to least essential to your concept. Your DM goes down your list from most essential to least and at some point cuts off everything further down. This might be after the end of your list(3.5Fighter) but most likely it is in the middle 3rd.

Step 8) Retain your languages known and gain tool/vehicle/game proficiencies based on your concept.