PDA

View Full Version : Monk + Black Pudding + Beast Strike

j_spencer93
2014-11-19, 02:14 PM
I have decided, after seeing an old wizard page, to create a monk gelatinous cube as they did but using the black pudding (with a template to grant wis, not sure which) and to give it beast strike feat to benefit from both its natural slam and its new unarmed damage. But i am wondering if i should allow the acid damage done by slam to transfer to unarmed strike using beast strike. Logically the feat allowing it makes sense but am curious if this would be a good idea (like would it open up any major problems later when PC are being made and they want to exploit it)?

Crake
2014-11-19, 02:29 PM
I have decided, after seeing an old wizard page, to create a monk gelatinous cube as they did but using the black pudding (with a template to grant wis, not sure which) and to give it beast strike feat to benefit from both its natural slam and its new unarmed damage. But i am wondering if i should allow the acid damage done by slam to transfer to unarmed strike using beast strike. Logically the feat allowing it makes sense but am curious if this would be a good idea (like would it open up any major problems later when PC are being made and they want to exploit it)?

The acid ability of a black pudding says it works on any melee attack, not just it's slams, so it should just work, the feat isn't necessary.

j_spencer93
2014-11-19, 02:33 PM
Ya after rereading to creature i noticed it does. So that one sentence alone made this entire post pointless. Atleast the feat will still add slam damage to unarmed.

Crake
2014-11-19, 02:39 PM
Ya after rereading to creature i noticed it does. So that one sentence alone made this entire post pointless. Atleast the feat will still add slam damage to unarmed.

well, if you want some help with the concept? If you're gonna be focusing on grappling, an idea might be to pick up multigrab and improved multigrab (if you can manage to give it an int score so it actually gets feats), allowing the thing to grab someone and grapple it with it's slam attack, while still moving and attacking with it's unarmed strike like it's not grappling anymore. If you wanted to be really mean, you could use this to grab a player and have the ooze run away from the party while slowly dissolving that player, then rinse and repeat. That would require the ooze be capable of cunning thinking though, so you'd probably need to awaken it with awaken ooze or the like.

That also gets especially dangerous if the players split the ooze, because now it can grab two players and run off with them.

Darrin
2014-11-19, 02:40 PM
I have decided, after seeing an old wizard page, to create a monk gelatinous cube as they did but using the black pudding (with a template to grant wis, not sure which) and to give it beast strike feat to benefit from both its natural slam and its new unarmed damage.

Sentry Ooze (Dungeonscape) gives you +10 Wis, but only Int = 2 (animal intelligence). You need to add something like Half-Dragon (Int +2) or Fiendish/Pseudonatural (Int = 3) to make it playable.

But i am wondering if i should allow the acid damage done by slam to transfer to unarmed strike using beast strike.

According to the Black Pudding text:

"Any melee hit or constrict attack deals acid damage"

Unarmed strikes would count as melee hits, so they'd get acid damage. I don't think you'd get it twice, though:

total damage = unarmed strike damage + slam damage + 2d6 acid

Logically the feat allowing it makes sense but am curious if this would be a good idea (like would it open up any major problems later when PC are being made and they want to exploit it)?

Playing a black pudding as a PC is kind of begging for "major problems" (or a severe case of "Pulling House Rules Out of My Orifice"), but Beast Strike is probably not among them. I'd be more worried about what happens when the PC figures out he can use Versatile Unarmed Strike split himself in half.

Crake
2014-11-19, 02:58 PM
Sentry Ooze (Dungeonscape) gives you +10 Wis, but only Int = 2 (animal intelligence). You need to add something like Half-Dragon (Int +2) or Fiendish/Pseudonatural (Int = 3) to make it playable.

According to the Black Pudding text:

"Any melee hit or constrict attack deals acid damage"

Unarmed strikes would count as melee hits, so they'd get acid damage. I don't think you'd get it twice, though:

total damage = unarmed strike damage + slam damage + 2d6 acid

Playing a black pudding as a PC is kind of begging for "major problems" (or a severe case of "Pulling House Rules Out of My Orifice"), but Beast Strike is probably not among them. I'd be more worried about what happens when the PC figures out he can use Versatile Unarmed Strike split himself in half.

I can't imagine that the OP is going to use this for anything other than a monster as a DM

j_spencer93
2014-11-19, 05:37 PM
Lol ya it is a monster not a PC however i do want it intelligent actually and any way to boost it power will be nice. I dont imagine it will really be an obstacle for what i have planned but be neat.
Actually going to have it filling a pit trap which they notice (easy DC) and when they try to swing across, jump over, etc, they provoke atk of op from it and then the battle begins.

j_spencer93
2014-11-19, 06:03 PM
Ok so have a sentry ooze (love the stat bonuses) black pudding monk. Is their any other way to boost its wisdom and increases acid abilities while retaining the ooze/acid theme?

Darrin
2014-11-19, 10:27 PM
Ok so have a sentry ooze (love the stat bonuses) black pudding monk. Is their any other way to boost its wisdom and increases acid abilities while retaining the ooze/acid theme?

Phrenic is good for +2 Wis, and doesn't change the type. Half-Fey has +2 Wis, but changes the type to Fey. Half-Celestial has +4 Wis, but changes the type to outsider.

Crake
2014-11-20, 12:23 AM
the elite array gives it a stat array of 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8 to play with, and if you're giving it something like fiendish, you can put the 8 into int, since it's gonna have 3 int regardless. That way you can put 15 into wis and 14 into str or con.

Remember, at 12 HD, the ooze will get a free stat bump too

j_spencer93
2014-11-20, 07:55 PM
Well now i kind of want to make this bad guy a full fledged threat, thinking twenty class levels and everything.