PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Customization / MC Advice for an Assassin

GiantOctopodes
2014-11-19, 03:39 PM
Salutations all!

I am playing as a Halfling Rogue Assassin Charlatan, who most often poses as a human child (he carefully trims body hair, especially those darned hairy feet, that he might successfully pull off the ruse). He is most inspired by the characters from Assassin's Creed- he is a rope monkey in the truest sense, often up in the rigging in our naval campaign, or on the rooftops when we are in a city, or treetops in a forest, etc. If wondering where he is, the answer is most likely "I dunno, around somewhere, haven't seen him in a while, but probably up there somewhere". The ability to hide behind larger creatures (which most creatures are) allows him to travel with groups into places he is not meant to be, and he focuses on swift strikes against targets to incapacitate them, or better yet, evading their attention entirely. He does, in addition to his rope, have a blowgun, with darts poisoned with Drow Sleep Poison, and he has some smoke bombs for when things get especially hairy.

All that being said, though going pure Rogue is all well and good, I was debating picking up another class to complement his abilities, and enlarge the number of attacks he gets per turn. I know that Sneak Attack only works on 1 attack, but frankly, that 1 attack is often not enough against hardy individuals (the same folks likely to shrug off the sleep poison), so I'm looking for some extra oomph to make sure the intended target goes down. I'm also looking for advice for feats which complement this character. My own analysis is below, feel free to check it out (or not), either way your thoughts are certainly appreciated!

I really want something that increases the number of attacks. However, my character despises magic, and avoids its use, so spellcasters, such as bard, ranger, and paladin, are out. The most obvious choices appear to be Barbarian, Fighter, and Monk.

Barbarian- Pros: Gives impressive damage mitigation, improves speed, danger sense is great, Reckless Attack can provide sneak attacks at will with the right weapon, improves AC. Cons: Most of it is Str based, and as might be expected, he is not the strongest person ever. In addition, the wrathful nature of it seems opposed to the careful attitude of an Assassin.

Fighter- Pros: Battle Master provides options in combat beyond just hitting foes. Improves AC, and Action Surge can be used for more than just added attacks, though it certainly does that well. Cons: Doesn't give any way to attack with Bonus Actions, so over the course of an extended fight adds less offensive power than the other options. Offers little in the way of benefits beyond the maneuvers, which though cool, don't scream synergy with existing abilities and choices.

Monk- Pros: Slow Fall can help a bunch for a guy who is always striking from in the air. Flurry of Blows provides the greatest number of potential attacks for when that is the option. Adds speed, and since it is presumed most will be attacking back from range, deflect projectiles adds to defense considerably. Unarmoured Defense can help when disguised as a kid. Can double jump distance, handy for leaping from roof to roof. Silence can buy additional time to take out a guard, and silence + darkness can make quite the kill zone. Pass without trace helps a bunch when things go south. Cons: Would require my character bending (if not breaking) his stance on magic. Seems very lawful for a chaotic character, and for my own sanity, seems like it would require a trainer. AC benefits are minimal, as Wis is only 14, being tertiary to Cha and Dex.

Alert: Can buy a second round of surprise against a target, which is a second round of auto crits.
Athlete: Useless to me, as I was allowed to trade Imposter (who would really believe me?) for 2nd story expert, which mimics much of the benefit.
Lucky: Seems useful to everyone.
Mage Slayer: Really fits the character, but I don't see him sticking around within 5' of a caster to take advantage of most of the benefits.
Martial Adept: If I don't splash Fighter, can replace much of the benefit provided from that choice.
Mobile: The only truly necessary feat, it raises his effective range (when accounting for dash) from 70' to 90', and helps tremendously in terms of not having to use an action to disengage should the foe not go down.
Resilient: Seems useful to everyone.

Conclusion: Would likely go with Mobile, Alert, and Lucky, as that seems to best fit the character, with the rest spent on getting Dex to 20 and increasing Cha (if not a Monk) or Wis (if a Monk). However, it is tough to overstate how awesome the maneuvers are, and Feinting attack (for free sneak attacks), Disarming Attack (for when the Big Bad spellcaster is holding that artifact of doom or whatever), and some of the others are really hard to give up. Not to mention, it really sucks if I'm held in one place, knocked out or dominated because I'm weak willed and didn't take Resilient (Wis).

Scirocco
2014-11-19, 04:28 PM
Alert is mandatory for every Assassin, Skulker is also pretty useful for Rogues that want to gain advantage almost all the time.

Easy_Lee
2014-11-19, 04:47 PM
If you want more attacks per round shadow monk 6 is a popular blend. Unarmored AC, teleport between shadows, and 6 Ki abilities / short rest are all nice. Can make up to four attacks per turn, and they all will crit on a surprise round.

That said, it's best for when you planned it from the start. If your wisdom is lacking, you would have to give up on certain options. Shadow monk is the least wisdom-dependent monk of all, though. And your unarmored bonuses should still work if wearing bracers of armor (ask your DM, contingent on actually getting said bracers).

You also get fewer feats than a pure rogue. I would suggest pure rogue if you're unsure, since you can't go wrong with that.

odigity
2014-11-19, 06:24 PM
You also get fewer feats than a pure rogue.

Unless you go Rogue 12 / Monk 8.

GiantOctopodes
2014-11-19, 10:09 PM
I'm sold on Alert, I think that for this character both that and Mobile are "must have" abilities.

I think I am also sold on Monk, if I can convince my DM to help me make it happen in a way that makes me comfortable from a fluff standpoint.

My biggest concern now is how much to dip? There is merit to a 4 level dip (even though it doesn't give me extra attack directly, it still gives flurry of blows, slow fall, bonus speed, wis based added unarmed defenses, deflect missiles, shadow abilities, and full ASI amounts, with least loss of sneak attack damage), 6 level dip (adds shadow teleport at will, which is *awesome*, increases speed, and provides extra attack, but loses sneak attack damage, slippery mind and ASI total), and 8 level "dip" (which provides stillness of mind, which is flat out better than resolute (will) or slippery mind, and restores ASI totals, but loses out *heavily* on sneak attack damage, which matters a lot during hopefully 2 rounds of auto crit, and loses blindsense, which is a serious advantage when popping both silence and darkness.

Thoughts?

Jlooney
2014-11-19, 10:33 PM
I know you hate spellcasters, but warlock has invocations and THOSE are worth dipping. with your high dex and cha agonizing blast would give you ranged options to do as a bonus action that does a lot of damage. along with all the at will powers of the invocations they are less magic and you just don't have the sheer number.

Giant2005
2014-11-19, 10:45 PM
I'd be sure to talk to your DM before finalizing Monk.
I know of at least one DM that doesn't allow sneak attack to function with unarmed attacks or Flurry of Blows due to the technicality of them not being Finesse Weapons.

GiantOctopodes
2014-11-19, 10:53 PM
I'd be sure to talk to your DM before finalizing Monk.
I know of at least one DM that doesn't allow sneak attack to function with unarmed attacks or Flurry of Blows due to the technicality of them not being Finesse Weapons.

Yeah, but a shortsword (a monk weapon and a finesse weapon, which also happens to be his current weapon of choice, since he is after all, you know, short and all) functions just fine, and since you don't get the sneak attack damage on multiple attacks, unless my DM decides he *really* loves me and wants me to be OP, all you need is the initial hit with the shortsword to get it anyways, the flurry of blows attacks would not even matter if they didn't qualify.

Giant2005
2014-11-19, 11:00 PM
Yeah, but a shortsword (a monk weapon and a finesse weapon, which also happens to be his current weapon of choice, since he is after all, you know, short and all) functions just fine, and since you don't get the sneak attack damage on multiple attacks, unless my DM decides he *really* loves me and wants me to be OP, all you need is the initial hit with the shortsword to get it anyways, the flurry of blows attacks would not even matter if they didn't qualify.

That is true but I thought the entire point of you wanting more attacks was to have more chances of landing your sneak attack? If your DM doesn't allow unarmed strikes to qualify, you haven't really improved the situation at all - if your Shortsword misses in either scenario you lose your sneak attack damage for that turn.

Easy_Lee
2014-11-19, 11:03 PM

Right. That's half as many chances to proc sneak attack, but it's still two, the maximum a pure rogue would get in one turn. And that's only if your DM doesn't let you proc sneak attack with unarmed strikes, which I suspect most will (d6, dex, yadda yadda). Whether the gained monk powers make up for the lost rogue levels is debatable, but it certainly makes for an interesting character.

That said, it can be difficult to find a time to take the monk levels. You have to invest six straight levels in shadow monk, meaning your sneak attack suffers in the mean time. Overall, it's likely best to take them at rogue 4, so you're only four levels late for extra attack and can make up for it with sneak attack plus bonus unarmed strikes / flurries in the mean time. An auto-crit flurry of blows plus sneak attack is going to be powerful at any level. And even if you wear armor, the only thing that suffers is you have a few feet less movement per turn. Bracers of armor would definitely be cool if they allowed unarmored movement (don't see why they wouldn't), but that's DM-dependent as stated earlier.

Overall, I very much like the character idea. You can pretty safely have a low wisdom since you probably won't be using stunning blow too often anyway. I would definitely first ask the DM if you can sneak attack with unarmed strikes or if bracers of armor are a possibility (wink wink). Without those things, pure rouge is likely better.

oncnawan
2014-11-21, 01:04 PM
Alert: Can buy a second round of surprise against a target, which is a second round of auto crits.

I'm not familiar with this functionality. How does Alert give you a second surprise round?

GiantOctopodes
2014-11-21, 01:31 PM
I'm not familiar with this functionality. How does Alert give you a second surprise round?

It doesn't. Still thinking with too much earlier editions in my brain, I was thinking that anyone who had not acted yet was still considered flat footed or surprised. Reading over it again, that does not appear to be the case. As such, I'm not sure Alert is worth it, as either I'm in the surprise round and they're not (so initiative doesn't matter) or I'm not in the surprise round, and I actually want my fighting buddies to walk up first, so I can get sneak attack and they can have someone in their face to beat up on rather than pursuing me as I run away afterwards :smallsmile:

Am I way off in my thinking in this as well?

Person_Man
2014-11-21, 02:56 PM
I've played an Assassin Rogue extensively, and my advice is to just stick with pure Assassin Rogue. Sneak Attack every other level means that your damage output scales excellently by default, and Uncanny Dodge and Evasion are really awesome, so at the very least you want 7 levels of Rogue.

I would argue strongly against Barbarian or Monk. Barbarian will probably actually end up nerfing your damage, since you're not Str based and you'd be giving up Sneak Attack in exchange for mostly defensive abilities. Monk is mostly dependent upon Ki points to be useful, and you wouldn't have many of them as a multiclass build.

If you're dead set on multi-classing, I would suggest Rogue/Champion Fighter (instead of Battlemaster). Multi-class Battlemasters have painfully few Superiority Dice. Whereas Champion gives you Improved Critical, a second Fighting Style, and a small bonus to Initiative (Remarkable Athlete), while still giving you Action Surge, Extra Attack(s), etc.

I would also look at Take the Archery Fighting Style + Sharpshooter Feat. It makes your Extra Attacks a lot more powerful when you can get Sharpshooter to apply.

oncnawan
2014-11-21, 03:13 PM
It doesn't. Still thinking with too much earlier editions in my brain, I was thinking that anyone who had not acted yet was still considered flat footed or surprised. Reading over it again, that does not appear to be the case. As such, I'm not sure Alert is worth it, as either I'm in the surprise round and they're not (so initiative doesn't matter) or I'm not in the surprise round, and I actually want my fighting buddies to walk up first, so I can get sneak attack and they can have someone in their face to beat up on rather than pursuing me as I run away afterwards :smallsmile:

Am I way off in my thinking in this as well?

I've also mulled over the thought of picking up Alert, but it doesn't seem worth it, especially on a high dex char. For surprise rounds that you instigate, it is irrelevant.