PDA

View Full Version : [5E] Handbook Idea: Quick & Easy Magic

Endarire
2014-11-19, 03:41 PM
Greetings, forumites! If this handbook idea has been proposed before, please link me to it.

Anyway!

This handbook has two main factors, magic that is quick and magic that is easy. Quick magic is any spell that is normally cast as a bonus action or as a reaction. Easy magic is any non-instantaneous spell that does not require concentration. These are separate aspects, but put together in one handbook (in separate tables) for easy reference. I like the notion of being able to cast more than one spell in a round, and have as many buffs up as possible. Such a compilation would help me to determine my spell picks and spell castings to maximize my magical efficacy. It also helps to know at a glace that I can or can't have haste and faerie fire active due to concentration conflicts. (Both are concentration in this edition.)

Each spell would have a table with these aspects:

-Spell Name

-Reference (such as PHB 220)

-Category: Summon/Buff/Control/Direct Damage/Damage Over Time/Other.

-How to Get: What classes and specializations (like Druid of the Coast) can get this spell, and at what spell level. I'm aware that a Bard can potentially learn any spell.

-Comments

Yorrin
2014-11-19, 03:54 PM
This would be greatly beneficial. If you don't do it by the time I finish finals in about three weeks I might take it on myself (if my wife hasn't gotten me Dragon Age: Inquisition as an early Christmas present by then :smallwink: )

person29
2014-11-19, 04:02 PM
I could be wrong, but I don't think you can cast two spells in a round, even with one taking a bonus action. I thought it stated that somewhere in the PHB

Shadow
2014-11-19, 04:25 PM
I could be wrong, but I don't think you can cast two spells in a round, even with one taking a bonus action. I thought it stated that somewhere in the PHB

You can't cast two spells on your turn (rather than per round, there's a difference).
There are two exceptions to this.
1) If you cast a spell as a bonus action, no other spell may be cast that turn except a cantrip with a casting time of one action.
2) A multiclass caster/fighter using action surge may use his extra surged action to do anything that a normal action would allow, including casting any spell with a casting time of one action.

Easy_Lee
2014-11-19, 05:35 PM
1) If you cast a spell as a bonus action, no other spell may be cast that turn except a cantrip with a casting time of one action.

Nevermind, mixed up the wording of quicken with twin.

MaxWilson
2014-11-19, 05:44 PM
The wording on this one is especially unfortunate for sorcerers. Sorcerers using quicken can't quicken a cantrip and cast a big spell, they have to spend more points and quicken the big spell. It makes quicken quite a bit less appealing if not house ruled.

What's the difference? It's 2 sorcery points either way.

Shadow
2014-11-19, 05:47 PM
What's the difference? It's 2 sorcery points either way.

There is no difference.

Endarire
2014-11-19, 09:44 PM
What is the rules reference on the "one normal spell per turn" limit?

MaxWilson
2014-11-19, 09:48 PM
What is the rules reference on the "one normal spell per turn" limit?

IIRC, in Chapter 9 of the PHB, there is a section on Bonus Actions and what you can do with them. That's where it notes that casting a spell as a bonus action precludes casting any other spells on that turn. This leads to the odd consequence that the only time you can't Counterspell someone else who is Counterspelling a spell you're casting is when you're casting a Bonus action spell (Misty Step) instead of a regular spell (Teleport).

Greetings, forumites! If this handbook idea has been proposed before, please link me to it.

You may be interested in this link: http://www.refugionerd.com.br/5e-spell-compendium

You can filter for spells castable as bonus actions (I did not realize that Magic Weapon qualified) or for spells which don't require Concentration.