PDA

View Full Version : DM Help (Pathfinder) Proof of vengeance.

Nibbens
2014-11-19, 04:49 PM
So, my players have recently slain a Nemesis Devil (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/bestiary4/devil.html#devil-nemesis) and are about to run into the cult of followers who supported her.

Now, these followers are gifted with a mutual relationship with Hellwasp Swarm (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/bestiary3/hellwaspSwarm.html#hellwasp-swarm) type creatures. The PC's are about to run into the hellwasp swarms in the city's sewer systems making ginormous wasp nests under the city itself.

When my players are tearing down the nets, I want there to be some indicator of "we cultists are here and we're after the people who killed our goddess." I mean, i figured I could leave a discarded journal or something, but I don't want them to seem careless. Additionally I would like this indicator to be a giant neon sign indicating that big trouble is coming.

Anyway, I'm fresh out of ideas and turning to the playground to help!

atemu1234
2014-11-19, 05:01 PM
Knowledge (The Planes) check? Are they commonly known?

Nibbens
2014-11-19, 05:04 PM
Knowledge (The Planes) check? Are they commonly known?

When you say "they" I assume you mean the cultists. No, they are not commonly known. And if the "They" are referring to the hellwasp swarms, then the answer to that is no as well.

atemu1234
2014-11-19, 05:06 PM
When you say "they" I assume you mean the cultists. No, they are not commonly known. And if the "They" are referring to the hellwasp swarms, then the answer to that is no as well.

The Hellwasp swarms follow the usual flat DC regardless, without houserules.

Make them roll Knowledge (The Planes) at a DC of 20-30, I'd say 25, just because I'm partial to means. Then, if that does not yield results, have the cultists have symbology related to the demons they worship.

Nibbens
2014-11-19, 06:26 PM
The Hellwasp swarms follow the usual flat DC regardless, without houserules.

Make them roll Knowledge (The Planes) at a DC of 20-30, I'd say 25, just because I'm partial to means. Then, if that does not yield results, have the cultists have symbology related to the demons they worship.

But symbolism on what, exactly? The hives? The hives would be created by a creature with an intelligence of 6 (although wisdom of 13) as a place to live. The cultists would have had little to do with the construction of the hives and the hives themselves wouldn't give hints as of why they were there, just that they were there.

atemu1234
2014-11-19, 06:44 PM
But symbolism on what, exactly? The hives? The hives would be created by a creature with an intelligence of 6 (although wisdom of 13) as a place to live. The cultists would have had little to do with the construction of the hives and the hives themselves wouldn't give hints as of why they were there, just that they were there.

A superimposed fly? Update 3e Fiend Folio's Mandibles graft then stick it on followers, maybe antennae grafts, robes emblazoned with the body of a hellwasp... etc.

Nibbens
2014-11-19, 06:48 PM
A superimposed fly? Update 3e Fiend Folio's Mandibles graft then stick it on followers, maybe antennae grafts, robes emblazoned with the body of a hellwasp... etc.

Oh! okay, I'm sorry - I misunderstood you. The cultists won't be showing up until a session or two later. The hellwasp swarms come first, unfortunately and are to be a prelude of things to come.

My apologies.