PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed a Question about an Unusual Ring

Keldrin
2014-11-19, 05:25 PM
So, my character is leveling up and I'm surfing around looking for magic item ideas, and come across this in a topic about increasing touch AC: the D.I.S.M.a.L. ring ( deflection, insight, sacred, morale, and luck).

Link to relevant thread ;

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/3255626

It shows up in the 6th post.

I'm guessing this is a homebrewed ring. Is it reasonable and/or feasible? And how cheesy?

Asrrin
2014-11-19, 05:48 PM
It's just using the Custom Item creation guide to make a Ring of Protection +1 that also has other +1 effects ( insight, sacred, morale, and luck) tacked on. Not sure if the price is correct though, I'm a bit fuzzy on rings and other non-armor/weapon custom pricing.

EDIT: found the pricing guide here:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm#tableEstimatingMagicItemGol dPieceValues

It's 2,000 GP for the ring of protection, plus 2,500 GP for each ability, and then multiply the whole thing by 1.5 for having extra magical effects. Comes out to 18k GP for a total of +5 to touch AC.

Keldrin
2014-11-19, 06:11 PM
Much as I figured, thanks. How far does the cheese needle ping? Mild, moderate, or GTFO?

Asrrin
2014-11-19, 06:26 PM
Custom magic items creation guidelines are exactly that, guidelines. a DM is free to rule that a certain custom item costs more or less depending on the needs of the campaign.

Many people here are mostly fine with the RAW rules of item creation, though cost reducers (like restricting it to only a race or alignment that just so happens to be the PC's...) can get really cheesy at times. I personally don't see much wrong with this particular custom ring. Yeah, you do get a boatload of touch AC for a really cheap price, but you are giving yourself +1s in a lot of different bonus types, which won't stack with items in other slots.

Rubik
2014-11-19, 07:04 PM
Custom magic items creation guidelines are exactly that, guidelinesExcept the ones in the MIC are pretty much identical, and they're actual rules, rather than guidelines.

(Un)Inspired
2014-11-19, 07:23 PM
Much as I figured, thanks. How far does the cheese needle ping? Mild, moderate, or GTFO?

Not really that cheesy but honestly it depends on your group. Using the custom magic item rules to increase AC is pretty minor league stuff so I'd allow it but I'm not your DM.