PDA

View Full Version : Home brew Biomancer Mage. 4th edition.

bloodshed343
2014-11-19, 06:12 PM
Mage school benefits:

Level 1: When you use a power that deals ongoing damage, you gain a bonus to the ongoing damage equal to 2/4/6 + your constitution modifier. When you grant temporary hit points to an ally, they regain hit points equal to 2/4/6 + your constitution modifier.

Level 5: Whenever you inflict a condition on an enemy with an encounter or daily power, or a creature summoned by you hits an enemy with an attack, that enemy gains ongoing 5 poison and acid damage (save ends).

Level 10: You gain a bonus to endurance and athletics checks equal to your intelligence modifier. Whenever an ally hits an enemy who is taking ongoing damage from one of your powers, that ally gains temporary hit points equal to your constitution modifier.

New Wizard powers:

Sporeburst
Level 1 at-will
standard
area burst 1 in 10. Enemies only.
Int vs fort
Hit: 1d8 + int modifier poison damage. The target gains vulnerability to all damage equal to your constitution modifier until the end of your next turn.

Spit Bile
Level 1 encounter
Minor Action
Close Blast 3 All Creatures.
Int vs Reflex
Hit: 1d4 acid damage and the target suffers a -2 penalty to ac.
Effect: Ongoing poison damage equal to your constitution modifier.

Sudden Evolution
Level 1 encounter:
Standard Action:
Melee touch.
Int+2 vs reflex
Hit: 1d6 + int modifier damage.
Effect: one ally you can see may shift up to 3 squares and make a melee basic attack against the target.
Special: you may use this power in place of melee basic attack when making an opportunity attack.

Level 1 daily:
Summon Experiment One.
Minor Action. Close burst 10.
Targets one ally.
Effect: You Summon an ooze experiment in the ally's square. The ooze surrounds the ally, intercepting all attacks that target the ally. It uses the better of your or the ally's defenses with a +2 bonus. It has hit points equal to your bloodied value and resistance to all damage equal to your constitution modifier.
Evolve minor: once per round, as a minor action, you can allow the ally to make a basic attack with a +1 bonus to damage rolls for each time this creature has evolved.

bloodshed343
2014-11-19, 09:21 PM
Well, since this got moved I'll update it a bit more.

eggabubu8e
2014-11-19, 11:12 PM
For sporeburst it looks like you tried to balance the fact that it is poison damage by adding some effects and increased area to it, and that all seems okay to me. But when you factor in the fact that in 4e there are a plethora of ways to change damage type this at will becomes ridiculous, just imagine a fire based teifling wizard that can use a fire version of sporeburst. Suddenly it becomes a ridiculously over powered at will. That's just my thought if it, so far looks like a cool concept.

bloodshed343
2014-11-20, 10:13 AM
As far as I know, there's no way to change ongoing damage type. Also, it doesn't have a damage roll, and it doesn't pop minions. Overall, it's pretty much strictly worse than freezing burst. Actually, I might need to make it more powerful.

Inevitability
2014-11-20, 02:47 PM
I don't claim to be an expert on 4e power design, but I do know one thing:

Don't make at-will powers (save ends). Just don't.

bloodshed343
2014-11-21, 10:35 AM
Save ends ongoing damage is really weak. At level 30, this will do about 58 damage at most (assuming they fail three saves) or 90 damage over three rounds if spammed and everything hits. Freezing Burst will do 111 damage on average over three rounds if spammed and everything hits.

So you do less damage to more targets with a slightly better effect.

I'm changing it anyway to make the biomancer more of a leader whose buffs rely on inflicting ongoing damage.

Inevitability
2014-11-21, 10:46 AM
Save ends ongoing damage is really weak. At level 30, this will do about 58 damage at most (assuming they fail three saves) or 90 damage over three rounds if spammed and everything hits. Freezing Burst will do 111 damage on average over three rounds if spammed and everything hits.

So you do less damage to more targets with a slightly better effect.

Level 30 play is not a good standard to go by. Remember, many level 30 heroes were level 1 once, but how many level 1 heroes will reach level 30?

bloodshed343
2014-11-21, 11:12 AM
At level 1, you do slightly more damage with a much worse effect.

GPuzzle
2014-11-22, 09:06 AM
At level 1, you do slightly more damage with a much worse effect.

At level 2 you have a power that is guaranteed to deal 10 damage.

At level 11 you have a power that is guaranteed to deal 19 damage.

If you are a Half-Elf Conlock, suddenly 24+3d6 damage on all targets.

If you are a Half-Elf Palalock, bam, 36 guaranteed damage, and a save. At level 16.

And that's with basic optimization.

Also Half-Elf Knight with Sporeburst will be OP as heck.

Inevitability
2014-11-22, 10:15 AM
Also, I recommend against using two different secondary stats. It'll make characters MAD and force them to choose between the two paths, at which point you might as well make two separate schools.

bloodshed343
2014-11-22, 02:47 PM
Also, I recommend against using two different secondary stats. It'll make characters MAD and force them to choose between the two paths, at which point you might as well make two separate schools.

Fine, I made it all int/con. I was trying to balance the features assuming an even split in wis/con. I might need to tone down some features to account for a higher con mod.