PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Advice for Character!

EvilAvocado
2014-11-19, 10:53 PM
Hi All,

After just finishing the Jade Regent AP my group is gearing up to play through Legacy of fire.

The other 2 players are playing a Cloistered Cleric(support, Buffing) and a Paladin (Beefy, Frontline)
and I need some advice on what to play to fill in the gap.

Obviously arcane spellcasting is the most obvious thing to take but I just played through all of the Last AP as a wizard and i'd at least like something different this time.

Thanks in advance!

Extra Anchovies
2014-11-19, 10:58 PM
I would recommend Bard, with a slight focus towards utility/skillmonkeying.

Ninjaxenomorph
2014-11-19, 11:10 PM
If you think some more frontlining would be good, the Magus is fun. If you want something thats less of a class cannon, the Bloodrager is similar, but may step on the Paladin's toes too much.

deuxhero
2014-11-20, 01:05 AM
Wizard 20 is boring, but an option for covering your arcane casting as well as your skill needs.

skypse
2014-11-20, 03:55 AM
I've played through the first book of this AP as a wizard myself. Have to say that even though I did have fun, our Barbie really had a blast. If you don't want to go something that is on the complete other side of the wizard playstyle, consider bloodrager. If I was in your position I would try a good old fashioned ranger or druid with their animal companions (especially the first book is very focused on desert so ranger's favourite terrain would be really helpful there), or be a rogue/ninja and fill the role of the skill monkey/scout for the party.

Feint's End
2014-11-20, 04:00 AM
To be honest ... at that point the most efficient thing would be a caster with good cc. A wizard does the trick but a druid could do decent too (especially adding the companion for melee potential).

Callin
2014-11-20, 10:50 AM
Investigator could be cool

NightbringerGGZ
2014-11-20, 10:55 AM
So what your party is missing Arcane magic, a skill monkey and the "utility" magic slot. A Wizard would fill those rolls, but you just played one and will feel bored with another so soon. There are still several good options though!

Bard - You'll have skills and some more buffing covered. You can build for ranged damage or build as a melee character who supports the Paladin.

Investigator - This could make for a very interesting character. Combat won't be great until level 4, but you'll rock those skill checks. Pick up the Infusions discovery and you can brew some buffing potions to share with the party.

Summoner - This is a very solid class. Your Eidolon can be another melee beat stick, the summoner himself doesn't fare too poorly in combat and you've got plenty of Arcane buffs and crowd control.

Magus - This would be going the pure DPS route. Buffing is not what you'll focus on, instead you'll use arcane magic to just burst enemies down. With a decent Int score you can also pick up several skills.

Witch - This will be similar to the Wizard, but with the unique spell list and added Hexes might be different enough not to bore you. Spells and Int based casting make you a decent skill monkey too.

the clumsy bard
2014-11-20, 11:34 AM
Maybe go for a debuffer Magus?

Try out the Hexcrafter (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/magus/archetypes/paizo---magus-archetypes/hexcrafter) magus archetype. It is a lot of fun and even has its own guide (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fSJuL1O4hs15NMk-y4MXbH9D_qt9V7iwhY2y9HDrs74/edit).

A ranged focused Hunter would net you some nice low level druid spells and animal companion to help your paladin flank with. Only suggesting because you are a 3 man party.

Arcanist. He played a wizard, but has not touched the new arcane caster on the block, slightly repetitive yes. New yes. New enough? Up to the player.

Psyren
2014-11-20, 12:06 PM
Alchemist is great at CC and also fills both the "knowledge guy" and "ranged attacker" roles well. Investigator will also work well here but they have a little less combat punch.

(Un)Inspired
2014-11-20, 02:07 PM
I'd like to second the alchemist suggestion. I'm a pretty huge fan of the vivisectionist archetype.

Are you allowed any 3.5 material? If so, Wu Jen are extremely cool.

Extra Anchovies
2014-11-20, 04:49 PM
What is this "CC" being discussed?

Also, Vivisectionist. Do like.

Psyren
2014-11-20, 05:17 PM
What is this "CC" being discussed?

Also, Vivisectionist. Do like.

CC = Crowd Control. Arcane casters do it best, but alchemists and caster druids make good alternate choices.

Ssalarn
2014-11-20, 09:33 PM
Alchemist is really fun and would do an excellent job at filling the holes in your group.

Bard is pretty much never a bad choice.

If you want to do something really fun and new, you could play a Skald. Good skills, if not quite as good as the Bard or Alchemist, decent combat abilities, and you can slap Barbarian bonuses and Rage Powers on your party's Paladin, which is awesome. Spell Kenning, when it kicks in, also lets you grab a spell you don't know but could really use off of another class' spell list on the fly, which will help make up for your lack of a dedicated full caster to a certain extent. Your choice of Rage Powers can really open a lot of options too, I'd personally recommend either the Dragon Totem or Beast Totem trees. Dragon Totem will let you hand out free flight and defensive boosts, Beast Totem lets you hand out armor boosts, natural attacks, and pounce.

Extra Anchovies
2014-11-20, 09:37 PM
Skald is a good class. It's an even better force multiplier than the Bard, IMO, due to the ability to share rage powers.

DJroboninja
2014-11-20, 09:55 PM
Never played Legacy of Fire, but you could look into going multiclass Rogue/Sorcerer and taking Arcane Trickster levels. It's far from tier 1, but I've found Tricksters to be super fun to play, and it would fill two roles in the party.

EvilAvocado
2014-11-20, 10:12 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions!

I haven't even looked at the alchemist class at all before...seems interesting.

Hexcrafter Magus looks cool as well.

and I can always fall back onto witch or Druid...

HMMM.....
Much appreciated Playground, I may build a couple of characters and see who's backstory and flavor I like better.