PDA

View Full Version : Who use heal skill?

With a box
2014-11-20, 10:05 AM
1HP per HD per day?
But if you have a day of downtime, wouldn't we just rest a week or such?
I think ony player heal them by CXW or vigor

Psyren
2014-11-20, 10:12 AM
Expert use heal skill! Town doctor or herbalist, low magic.

Also low level character, can treat disease and poison before remove disease, remove poison available. Not really for hit point.

ranagrande
2014-11-20, 10:52 AM
The Heal skill is also useful for investigation, since you can use it on a corpse to learn the cause of death.

LoyalPaladin
2014-11-20, 11:04 AM
The Heal skill is also useful for investigation, since you can use it on a corpse to learn the cause of death.
This. It's really helpful. I believe you can also use it to stabilize people under 0 health as well right? Maybe that's our DM's house rule...

Chronos
2014-11-20, 11:07 AM
Yes, you can stabilize with it. Valuable for the first level or two, when even cantrip slots are a valuable resource you can't afford to waste.

Raphite1
2014-11-20, 11:14 AM
I use it all the time! Our parties are often on multi-day missions where we have to make progress every day, and casting ability is mostly used up by combat and other issues, and it slows the wand-drain. I've also used it to treat disease, etc plenty of times.

It does get more easily replaced by the deep well of spells at high levels, of course.

weckar
2014-11-20, 11:23 AM
There's a pretty handy feat out there that immediately applies a 1d6 HP cure on anyone you stabilize with a heal check. Especially early on, this could save a TON of spells and potions.

Zaq
2014-11-20, 11:38 AM
There's a pretty handy feat out there that immediately applies a 1d6 HP cure on anyone you stabilize with a heal check. Especially early on, this could save a TON of spells and potions.

Even better than a feat, that's a skill trick! Healing Hands, CSc pg. 87.

Anyway, yeah, Heal is useful if you run into ability score damage a lot, or if you like to determine cause of death for bodies you find. It's also good for treating diseases and poisons. I've played under at least one GM who lets you use Heal to roughly gauge how much HP an enemy has left, but that's not RAW. I almost never actually take it, but there are some uses for it. Just not as many as you might think.

LoyalPaladin
2014-11-20, 12:16 PM
Even better than a feat, that's a skill trick! Healing Hands, CSc pg. 87.

That's awesome! I am sending this to our cleric riiiiight now.

Lightlawbliss
2014-11-20, 01:19 PM
There are also a handful of spells that use the heal skill in some way (example: healing lorecall).

And don't underestimate the ability to stabilize somebody in an anti-magic field.

SiuiS
2014-11-20, 01:24 PM
Yes, you can stabilize with it. Valuable for the first level or two, when even cantrip slots are a valuable resource you can't afford to waste.

Even better: healing hands and a dagger means, given about one minute, anyone you stabilize goes from negatives to 6 hp. It's standard routine for my medics to have a surgeon's kit and go to town on downed allies; mechanically I stabilize them, stab them into instability, and repeat until we get a max roll on the die. Fluff-wise, it's a careful sewing and excising of damaged tissue.

It's a skill trick. Requires healing 5 and also two skill points.

GreatDane
2014-11-20, 02:19 PM
Definitely the investigation thing; finding out how exactly the charred corpse died is a great enabler of casting energy resistance BEFORE the blue dragon returns from its hunting trip.

Also, if you have a character in your party that doesn't sleep (I'm currently playing with a warforged paladin), she can provide overnight care to double her friends' natural healing.

Zaq
2014-11-20, 03:01 PM
Even better: healing hands and a dagger means, given about one minute, anyone you stabilize goes from negatives to 6 hp. It's standard routine for my medics to have a surgeon's kit and go to town on downed allies; mechanically I stabilize them, stab them into instability, and repeat until we get a max roll on the die. Fluff-wise, it's a careful sewing and excising of damaged tissue.

It's a skill trick. Requires healing 5 and also two skill points.

That doesn't technically work. Skill tricks are only usable once per encounter unless stated otherwise, and Healing Hands does not state otherwise.

Venger
2014-11-20, 03:05 PM
That doesn't technically work. Skill tricks are only usable once per encounter unless stated otherwise, and Healing Hands does not state otherwise.

In a noncombat situation, they are usable once every minute unless stated otherwise. Since she's talking about taking multiple actions to stabilize one guy, I don't think she was talking about taking half a dozen plus actions while enemies are still up.

eggynack
2014-11-20, 03:09 PM
In a noncombat situation, they are usable once every minute unless stated otherwise. Since she's talking about taking multiple actions to stabilize one guy, I don't think she was talking about taking half a dozen plus actions while enemies are still up.
Still, the description of this occurring in a minute was decidedly inaccurate.

Venger
2014-11-20, 03:10 PM
Still, the description of this occurring in a minute was decidedly inaccurate.

yeah. but since it occurs in downtime, it doesn't really matter if it takes 7 or 8 minutes, there's no real time pressure.

Roxxy
2014-11-20, 03:12 PM
Yes, you can stabilize with it. Valuable for the first level or two, when even cantrip slots are a valuable resource you can't afford to waste.Unless you play Pathfinder. Granted, I house ruled that you can't stabilize or stop bleed with magic or use magic on -HP (HP damage is vitality/minor wounds, -HP is serious wounds, but magical healing is very slow. Too slow to be useful in an emergency. Standard procedure is to stabilize with Heal, get a surgeon to operate, then apply magic later on to remove scarring and replace lost body parts. You can use magic to revitalize people, though, which is basically standard magical healing with a different name.). Heal is a lot more necessary with such rules.

EisenKreutzer
2014-11-20, 03:16 PM
Expert use heal skill! Town doctor or herbalist, low magic.

Also low level character, can treat disease and poison before remove disease, remove poison available. Not really for hit point.

I love this post.

SiuiS
2014-11-20, 03:16 PM

I'm not in an encounter.

Oh, and there's a second party use in general but listed in a dark sun supplement that let's you heal 1d8 hit points once a day/fight/something with a DC of 20? I'll have to find that again to verify it's legitimacy.