PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next More Strength, the Solution to Every Problem

Amnoriath
2014-11-20, 01:29 PM
While 5e has some many interesting little setting hooks one of the things I thought they dropped the ball on in comparison to other editions are the Giants. Not only are there very few monsters but there is no class interaction with them. For some of the most iconic monsters of fantasy lore I thought maybe I should start by opening a thread devoted to 5e giant lore and homebrew.

Barbarian Subclass
Madness and animals, those are the ways many other warriors outside of civilization take. Though many of times rather than learning to handle animals or giving into anger sometimes just a different society willing to take you in that still knows how to fend for themselves is all that is needed. War Hulk is what many call them in a derogatory sense for their shear amount of strength and sweeping blows they display in battle. Though they just call themselves Jotunvenn or friend of giant.

War Hulk
http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/351/f/e/the_wanderers___barbarian_by_misha_dragonov-d6y9g6i.jpg

Credit goes to Misha Dragonov

Great Swing: At level 3 while raging when you make an attack against a creature so long as they aren't one size larger than you may make another attack against another creature within your reach at disadvantage. This attack carries any bonuses or penalties your initial attack possesses.

Kin of the Giants: At level 6 you may speak and understand any form of Giant. They treat you as one of their own so long as you do not provoke them.
As a move action you may grow one size larger along with all of your gear. If you are in restraints or confined space you are entitled to make a strength check with advantage to break them. You also gain temporary hit points equal to your Barbarian level and your attacks deal 2 more points of damage.
This effect lasts for 1 minute, afterwards you must complete a short or long rest to use it again.

Hulking Surge: At level 10 you may, as a bonus action, expend one use of Rage to give yourself a +3 bonus to Strength checks and Strength-based damage rolls until the beginning of your next turn; as part of this action, you may make a Strength check to lift, break, or push something within your reach. If you are not currently raging, you gain Advantage on all Strength checks for the duration; if you are currently raging, you may reroll any damage rolls that you make for the duration. However, you also have Disadvantage on all Intelligence checks for the duration. At level 15 the bonus increases to +5.
Once you have used this class feature, you must complete a Rest before you may use it again.

Ferocious Swing: At level 14 while raging as an action you may lash out against any creature in your reach. All creatures and objects you select in the area must make a Dexterity save(8+prof. bonus+str. modifier) or take your total attack damage+barbarian level in damage. If they succeed they only take half damage.

Inevitability
2014-11-20, 02:52 PM
I think it would be helpful to note that this is a barbarian subclass. It took me some time to figure that out. :)

Also, Kin of the Giants could be interpreted to let you use it again while the minute hasn't elapsed yet. You may want to make that impossible.

Also, 5th edition doesn't really use bonuses to ability scores, especially when temporary. Having to recalculate several things can get pretty confusing. I don't know what to replace it with, though.

Amnoriath
2014-11-20, 04:18 PM
I think it would be helpful to note that this is a barbarian subclass. It took me some time to figure that out. :)

Also, Kin of the Giants could be interpreted to let you use it again while the minute hasn't elapsed yet. You may want to make that impossible.

Also, 5th edition doesn't really use bonuses to ability scores, especially when temporary. Having to recalculate several things can get pretty confusing. I don't know what to replace it with, though.

1. I'll reword things
2. Having to be specific on the bonuses as well as instances just adds more to the text and more for the player to remember then a few checks if they come up in that amount of time.

Amechra
2014-11-20, 04:47 PM
Hulking Surge: At level 10 you may, as a bonus action, expend one use of Rage to give yourself a +3 bonus to Strength checks and Strength-based damage rolls until the beginning of your next turn; as part of this action, you may make a Strength check to lift, break, or push something within your reach. If you are not currently raging, you gain Advantage on all Strength checks for the duration; if you are currently raging, you may reroll any damage rolls that you make for the duration. However, you also have Disadvantage on all Intelligence checks for the duration. At level 15 the bonus increases to +5.
Once you have used this class feature, you must complete a Rest before you may use it again.

Seems quicker to me!

If I were doing it, here's what I'd do:
Hulking Surge: At level 10, any time you enter a Rage, you take a +3 bonus to all Strength checks and Strength-based damage rolls until the beginning of your next turn; as part of entering a Rage, you may make a Strength check to lift, push, or break an object within your reach.
At level 15 the bonus increases to +5.

Amnoriath
2014-11-21, 09:57 AM
1. Okay, reworded a few things and copied Amercha's text.
2. Anyone have their own pieces related to the topic?