PDA

View Full Version : RIP, D&D Tools

TheTeaMustFlow
2014-11-20, 05:45 PM
Dammit, Wizards. (http://dndtools.eu/)

Agincourt
2014-11-20, 05:52 PM
I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did. I only wonder why WotC didn't sent the cease-and-desist letter earlier.

Xerlith
2014-11-20, 05:54 PM
Technically speaking, this wasn't illegal the way it was done.

Rubik
2014-11-20, 05:55 PM
I know this is going to be scrubbed, but the website is a great archive of information, and WotC is no longer making money from 3rd Edition, nor is its current proceeds being negatively affected in any way. Sometimes copyright laws make no sense. When does their copyright run out, again?

Xerlith
2014-11-20, 05:58 PM
Well, all the more reasons to dance with pathfinder some more.

ben-zayb
2014-11-20, 05:58 PM
A spoooky cease and desist!

Sorry. I just had to say that.

Ionbound
2014-11-20, 05:59 PM
In the US, it's when the original creator dies+50 years. It is absurdly long in the US. Not sure about the EU, though, but still...this is really frustrating. Mostly because even when you have a lot of the books, it's nice to have a searchable database that's not limited by OGL...Though I'm not sure I expected better from Hasbro.

Kelb_Panthera
2014-11-20, 06:00 PM
I know this is going to be scrubbed, but the website is a great archive of information, and WotC is no longer making money from 3rd Edition, nor is its current proceeds being negatively affected in any way. Sometimes copyright laws make no sense. When does their copyright run out, again?
When they stop renewing it.

Rebel7284
2014-11-20, 06:02 PM
Email or call wizards and let them know this is ****ty behavior on their part.

I was considering getting into 5th edition, but now I am pretty pissed at WotC. I may even cut down my MtG purchases more (to be fair, those have been tapering out naturally due to having a smaller player pool after I moved)

Also, there was a petition somewhere about this that you can sign.

icefractal
2014-11-20, 06:07 PM
Depressing. It's not even a matter of having the books - non-searchable game rules are simply a bad fit for anything as crunchy as 3.5. Sure, there's Pathfinder, but there's also a lot of cool 3.5 stuff that will now be annoying and clunky to use.

Timing's kind of strange also. If it was about competition with their current game, why not do this during 4E? With Pathfinder firmly entrenched, and 5E catering for a pretty different play-style anyway, it seems petty to be doing this now.

Douglas
2014-11-20, 06:16 PM
The Mod Radiant: Please do not restart locked threads. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?384482-dndtools)