PDA

View Full Version : Question about, "Symbol of Death"

MrTupee
2014-11-20, 09:02 PM
I have a gnome lich who is high in the ends of crafting wondrous items. I was going to have him protect his phylactery with it being in a gear box (much like a gear rubix cube). I was hoping he could have a 'Symbol of Death' spell permanized to a side, and have it activated when it is formed together and read. I was wondering if this was in the realm of possibility seeing as the glyph will be physically broken by the movement of the cube. Would it still retain its power? The only thing I see in the description is about it being covered, and quite frankly I'm not all to familiar with runes, glyphs, or symbols.

Venger
2014-11-20, 09:22 PM
You can also set special triggering limitations of your own. These can be as simple or elaborate as you desire. Special conditions for triggering a symbol of death can be based on a creature’s name, identity, or alignment, but otherwise must be based on observable actions or qualities. Intangibles such as level, class, Hit Dice, and hit points don’t qualify.

Solving a Lemarchand's box definitely qualifies, so that should be fine.

georgie_leech
2014-11-20, 09:38 PM
Do be cautious about potential enemies just smashing the box and being done with it. Since they're trying to break the phylactery in the first place, it's not like they'll have much incentive to treat it carefully.

Blackhawk748
2014-11-20, 09:40 PM
Do be cautious about potential enemies just smashing the box and being done with it. Since they're trying to break the phylactery in the first place, it's not like they'll have much incentive to treat it carefully.

You could make it out of Dwarf craft Adamatine, that would make it fairly hard to break.

Crake
2014-11-20, 10:38 PM
You could make it out of Dwarf craft Adamatine, that would make it fairly hard to break.

Until someone hits it with ancient mountain hammer, dealing +12d6 damage and ignoring it's hardness completely

Blackhawk748
2014-11-21, 06:55 AM
Until someone hits it with ancient mountain hammer, dealing +12d6 damage and ignoring it's hardness completely

Well ya, but i there isnt a Warblade or a Crusader in the pary, you should be fine. Actually you could enchant it to damage people who attack it.

Venger
2014-11-21, 07:08 AM
Well ya, but i there isnt a Warblade or a Crusader in the pary, you should be fine. Actually you could enchant it to damage people who attack it.

the point is any attack that ignores hardness will destroy your phylactery and that it's not that hard to do.

use a "force chest" spell, OP. it's pretty much designed to protect phylacteries. even the sample artwork shows the iconic lich protecting his with one. nobody's mountain hammering through that thing any time soon.