PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class What if the Soulborn was a Meldshaper? [PEACH]

Amechra
2014-11-20, 10:11 PM
Hey, do you remember that Soulborn class from Magic of Incarnum? You know, the one that wasn't a meldshaper? Wasn't that really weird? I mean, come on.

So I decided to make a version that is an actual, you know, meldshaper. Because it needed to be done.

Soulborn

Alignment: Any non-Neutral
HD: d10
Skill Points per level: 2 + Int
Skill Points at 1st Level: 4 x (2 + Int)
Class Skills: Climb, Concentration, Craft, Handle Animal, Heal, Jump, Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (the planes), Profession, Ride, Spellcraft, Swim.
A Lawful Good soulborn adds Diplomacy to the Soulborn class skills listed above. A Chaotic Good Soulborn adds Gather Information to the list. A Lawful Evil Soulborn adds Bluff to the list, and a Chaotic Evil Soulborn adds Intimidate to the list.
Proficiencies: Soulborns are proficient with all simple and martial weapons, with all types of armor (heavy, medium, and light), and with shields (except tower shields).

Level
BAB
Fort
Ref
Will
Special
Soulmelds
Essentia
Chakra Binds

1st
+1
+2
+0
+0
Aura, Crusader's Mantle

2nd
+2
+3
+0
+0
Bonus Feat, Chakra Bind (Hands)

3rd
+3
+3
+1
+1
Incarnum Defense

4th
+4
+4
+1
+1
Crusader's Mantle (1)

5th
+5
+4
+1
+1
Chakra Binds (Crown, Feet)

6th
+6/+1
+5
+2
+2
Bonus Feat

7th
+7/+2
+5
+2
+2
Incarnum Aura (10ft)

8th
+8/+3
+6
+2
+2
Crusader's Mantle (2)

9th
+9/+4
+6
+3
+3
Chakra Binds (Arms, Brow, Shoulders)

10th
+10/+5
+7
+3
+3
Bonus Feat

11th
+11/+6/+1
+7
+3
+3
Incarnum Aura (20ft)

12th
+12/+7/+2
+8
+4
+4
Crusader's Mantle (3)

13th
+13/+8/+3
+8
+4
+4
Chakra Binds (Throat, Waist)

14th
+14/+9/+4
+9
+4
+4
Bonus Feat

15th
+15/+10/+5
+9
+5
+5
Incarnum Aura (30ft)

16th
+16/+11/+6/+1
+10
+5
+5
Crusader's Mantle (4)

17th
+17/+12/+7/+2
+10
+5
+5
Chakra Bind (Heart)

18th
+18/+13/+8/+3
+11
+6
+6
Bonus Feat

19th
+19/+14/+9/+4
+11
+6
+6
Incarnum Aura (40ft), Timeless Body

20th
+20/+15/+10/+5
+12
+6
+6
Incarnum Crusade, Crusader's Mantle (5)

Meldshaping: A Soulborn's primary ability is shaping soulmelds from the ambient incarnum, which are drawn from the Soulborn soulmeld list. A Soulborn knows every single soulmeld on their list (though see Aligned Soulmelds). The DC for the saving throws against a Soulborn's soulmelds is equal to [10 + invested Essentia + Charisma Modifier]; their meldshaper level is equal to their Soulborn level.

A Soulborn may only shape a limited number of soulmelds per day; they may shape a number of soulmelds per day equal to either their Constitution - 10 or the amount given on the table above, whichever is lower.

At 1st level, a Soulborn gains access to their personal pool of Essentia, which may be invested into souldmelds to increase their power. Their Essentia pool contains a number of points of Essentia as given on the table above, and the capacity of each individual soulmeld is determined by their character level. As a Swift action, a Soulborn may reallocate their Essentia.

While a Soulborn does not need to study or prepare their soulmelds; however, they need a good night's sleep, and must meditate for an hour to shape their Soulmelds.

Aligned Meldshaping: While a Soulborn has access to their entire list of soulmelds, they cannot shape any soulmeld that has an alignment descriptor that does not match an aspect of their alignment. For example, a Lawful Good Soulborn could not shape a soulmeld with the [Chaos] or [Evil] descriptors.

Chakra Binds: Starting at 2nd level, a Soulborn may bind soulmelds to their chakras, granting them new abilities based on the soulmeld and chakra chosen. Binding a soulmeld to a chakra closes the body slot associated with that chakra, preventing them from benefiting from a magic item worn on that slot.

The number of chakra binds a Soulborn may have at one time is limited to the number given on the above table.

At 2nd level, a Soulborn may bind soulmelds to their Hands chakra. At 5th level, they may bind soulmelds to their Crown and Feet chakras. At 9th level they may bind soulmelds to their Arms, Brow, and Shoulders chakras. At 13th level, they may bind soulmelds to their Throat and Waist chakras, and at 17th level, they may bind soulmelds to their Heart chakra. A Soulborn never gains access to the Soul chakra.

Aura (Ex): A Soulborn has an aura of alignment as if they were a Cleric of their class level.

Smite Opposition (Su): At 1st level, a Soulborn gains access to the Crusader's Mantle soulmeld appropriate to their alignment. Shaping Crusader's Mantle does not count towards the number of Soulmelds the Soulborn may have shaped at any one time.

At 4th level, a Soulborn that shapes Crusader's Mantle is considered to have invested 1 more Essentia into that Soulmeld than they actually do, subject to their Essentia cap. At 8th level, and every 4 levels thereafter, the amount of virtual Essentia invested into Crusader's Mantle increases by 1.

Bonus Feats (Ex): At 2nd level, and every 4 levels thereafter, a Soulborn gains a bonus [Fighter] or feat that they qualify for.

Incarnum Defense (Su): Starting at 3rd level, incarnum has infused their mind and body, lending them a certain level of durability. Depending on their alignment, a Soulborn receives a change to their appearance and an immunity to a certain category of effect.

Lawful Good: Their eyes become solid orbs of luminescent gold; they are immune to Fear.

Chaotic Good: Their irises turn an emerald green, and sparks seem to glint deep in their pupils; they are immune to Paralysis.

Lawful Evil: Their irises turn an unholy crimson, with tiny droplets of blood oozing from their tear ducts; they are immune to Exhaustion (any effect that would leave them Exhausted instead leaves them Fatigued).

Chaotic Evil: Their eyes become deep pits filled with shadows; they are immune to any penalties, damage, or drain to their Strength score.

Incarnum Aura (Su): At 7th level, a Soulborn's luminescent soul billows from their body, granting their allies a powerful defensive benefit. The Soulborn adds the Incarnum Aura Soulmeld to their class list. At 11th level, and every 4 levels thereafter, the radius of their Incarnum Aura increases by 10'.

Shaping Incarnum Aura does not count towards the number of Soulmelds the Soulborn may have shaped at one time. A Soulborn that has both Crusader's Mantle and Incarnum Mantle shaped considers Incarnum Mantle to have virtual Essentia invested in it equal to the virtual Essentia invested in Crusader's Mantle.

Timeless Body (Ex): At 19th level, a Soulborn's incarnum-infused flesh no longer ages; they no longer take ability score penalties for aging and cannot be magically aged. Any penalties they may have already incurred, however, remain in place. Bonuses still accrue, and the Soulborn still dies of old age when their time is up.

Incarnum Crusade (Ex): At 20th level, a Soulborn is the absolute pinnacle of their alignment's crusade against those that oppose it. The Essentia cap for their Crusader's Mantle and Incarnum Aura increase to 1 + their Charisma modifier if that would be higher than their normal Essentia cap, and neither of those Soulmelds may be forcefully unshaped or unbound by anyone other than the Soulborn.
Crusader's Mantle
Descriptor: See Below
Classes: None
Chakra: Arms OR Brow, Hands, Heart
Saving Throw: Will negates

[I]Lawful Good: You develop an golden nimbus around you, with the faint imagery of four wings hovering behind your back.
Chaotic Good: You shape incarnum into an emerald shadow, cloaking your features in a swirling cloak of azure and green.
Lawful Evil: You shape incarnum into a rigid red shell around your body, shadowy chains dancing around your body.
Chaotic Evil: You force incarnum into your shadow; it is far longer and darker than it should be, and anything it falls on appears to be rusting or decayed.

This soulmeld channels the souls of zealots and heretics alike. The descriptors for this soulmeld match the alignment of the Soulborn shaping it.

Essentia
You may use Smite Evil as a Paladin of your Meldshaper level a number of times per day equal to the Essentia invested in this soulmeld; however, unlike a Paladin, you instead may smite any creature whose Alignment opposes at least one component of your alignment. Essentia invested in this soulmeld cannot be reassigned until you get a good night's rest.

Chakra Bind (Arms (CG, CE) OR Brow(LG, LE))
Lawful Good: Your nimbus appears to form a solid nimbus behind your head, shining with holy light.
Chaotic Good: The emerald shadow wreathing your body appears to burn odd, shifting tattoos into the flesh of your arms.
Lawful Evil: The cruel black crown appears on your head, with barbs digging into the flesh of your forehead.
Chaotic Evil: Terrible scars appear and shift on your arms, crazily warping to show blasphemies to anyone trying to inspect them.

You may either make a Turn Undead (if Good) or Rebuke Undead (if Evil) attempt as if you were a Cleric of your Meldshaper level - 3. You may Turn or Rebuke Undead a number of times per day equal to 1 + the Essentia invested in this Soulmeld.

Chakra Bind (Hands)
Lawful Good: Your fingers become weighed down by golden rings that coalesce from the aura around your body.
Chaotic Good: Your hands develop an emerald tattoo on the palm, and creatures who touch them feel refreshed.
Lawful Evil: Your hands appear to be covered by heavy gauntlets, and a faint scepter appears in your dominant hand whenever you form a fist.
Chaotic Evil: Vicious barbs appear to tear themselves through the back of your hands, leaving you bleeding yet painless.

You gain the Lay on Hands (if Good) or Deadly Touch (if Evil) ability of a paladin of your meldshaper level.

Chakra Bind (Heart)
Lawful Good: Your wings appear to solidify and fold themselves to guard your chest and feet.
Chaotic Good: Your emerald aura permates your skin, weighing down your chest with a set of Jade iconographs proclaiming the glory of freedom.
Lawful Evil: Your shell develops black, spidery inscriptions on its surface, listing cruel and senseless laws.
Chaotic Evil: Your chest burst open where your heart should be; however, anyone looking inside the hole sees only shadows.

You gain DR 1, bypassed by an attack with both alignments opposing your own (so if you were Lawful Evil, it would be DR 1/Chaos and Good). This DR is increased by 1 for every point of essentia you have invested in this soulmeld.

Incarnum Aura
Descriptor: See Below
Classes: None
Chakra: Crown, Shoulders
Saving Throw: Will negates

You fill your soul with incarnum until it bursts out of your flesh, illuminating the area around you.

This soulmeld is unique in that it does not shape outside essentia; instead, it relies on overloading the soul of the practitioner, allowing it to spill forth from their body. Upon shaping this soulmeld, you are subject to the versions of Magic Circle Against [Alignment] for each of the Alignment components that oppose your own alignment (for example, if you were Chaotic Good, you would benefit from Magic Circles against Law and Evil). The caster level of the effect is equal to your Meldshaper level.

In addition, you emit light as if you were holding a candle.

Essentia
For every point of essentia you invest in this soulmeld, the radius of the Magic Circle effects increase by 10'.

Chakra Bind (Crown)
Your aura sharply illuminates the room around you, placing everything within as in sharp relief.

While this soulmeld is bound to the Crown chakra, you emit light as if you were holding a sunrod instead of a candle.

Chakra Bind (Throat)
The illumination from your aura reflects off your allies' eyes as it shapes itself into a glorious pendant.

As long as this soulmeld is bound to your Throat chakra, any of your allies that benefit from your Magic Circle effect also gain the benefits of your Incarnum Defense class feature.

Extra Anchovies
2014-11-20, 11:13 PM
I'd play this, even for the full 20 levels. I especially like the adaptation of Share Incarnum Defense into a component of Incarnum Aura. Making them vulnerable to Magic Circle effects is a very nice touch. One thing however: with the free Crusader's Aura and Incarnum Aura, these guys get two more soulmelds than Incarnates do. I recommend their number of soulmelds they can shape be changed to (level/3)+1, such that they end up with nine at the end?

Amechra
2014-11-20, 11:22 PM
Getting two free Soulmelds is because Crusader's Mantle and Incarnum Aura are essentially class features.

They are still slightly weaker than Incarnates and Totemists when it comes to meldshaping; the Totemist has the Totem Chakra and a much wider list, while the Incarnate has a much wider list, more Essentia, and the Soul Chakra.

Also, compared to both the Totemist and the Incarnate, they still lack a "quickly reassigning soulmelds" class feature, and a "increase essentia caps" class feature. So getting two free Soulmelds should be fine.

Still, nice to hear that someone would play one all the way through - just remember that I didn't touch their list.

Extra Anchovies
2014-11-21, 12:20 AM
Still, nice to hear that someone would play one all the way through - just remember that I didn't touch their list.

The Soulborn list has some gems - spellward shirt, crystal helm, bluesteel bracers, soulspark familiar (if Share Soulmeld works on them), therapeutic mantle (especially when paired with something that grants fast healing), Strongheart Vest, and leave the soul chakra open because magic armor is good and Necrocarnum Shroud isn't.

...Say, with Thunderstep Boots and the bonus fighter feats, this could make for a nice übercharger...

Also, this class gets eight more essentia than it looks like they do; an automatic four for crusader's mantle and an automatic four for incarnum aura. That's... a bit much (2 more essentia than an Incarnate, actually). I would recommend changing their essentia total to be equal to 4/5 their level (e.g. gain 1 essentia at all levels other than 5th, 10th, 15th, and 20th). Puts them at a total of 24, above the Totemist but below the Incarnate. Of note is the fact that the fifth bonus essentia (at level 20) is only usable if they take Expanded Soulmeld Capacity. For a capstone, that's weak (because as a full-BAB combat-focused class, the Soulborn will want either Dex or Str, and will also want Con for meldshaping and hp, so if they stay away from save-forcing soulmelds {which are very hard to boost the DCs on and are thus generally worth avoiding}, Incarnum Crusade keys off an ability score they might have dumped at the start).

Finally, does the incarnum aura radius increase from the class feature stack with the radius increase from the bonus effective essentia? That means the aura is 160 feet across by default, which is... a lot. I think the radius should only key off the essentia (and thus only increase in radius when the effective essentia on Crusader's Mantle increases).

Amechra
2014-11-21, 12:30 AM
They don't get the Soul Chakra anyway. :smallwink:

Extra Anchovies
2014-11-21, 12:39 AM
They don't get the Soul Chakra anyway. :smallwink:

They can still shape things to it.

Amechra
2014-11-21, 12:58 AM
Not if they're Undead!

But otherwise, very true.

Amechra
2014-11-30, 04:33 PM
Oh, and one thing I missed that you said - that they could have dumped Charisma.

I'm not so worried about that; I mean, you only need Con 19, at the highest, to max out the number of soulmelds you can shape by 20th level. Plus, Strength is ridiculously easy to pump, so I'm not so worried about that.

I mean, spreading your ability scores across 3 different stats isn't too MAD; I mean, if I were requiring 4 ability scores to be viable, then I'd be worrying.

And coming back to respond to this, I noticed that I forgot to say what their proficiencies are. Whoops!

I'll go fix that.