PDA

View Full Version : Conan - The 5e Build Challenge!

Gwendol
2014-11-21, 02:24 AM
Conan - The Barbarian, the indomitable force of destruction (and seduction) that hacked his way through the Hyborian age.

How would you create him using the rules and classes of 5e?

This challenge is for the book Conan mainly. If you present a build gestalting a movie Conan, please indicate which. If you make a build gestalting a comic book Conan, don't. ;-)

Slipperychicken
2014-11-21, 02:34 AM
In before Fighter20.

odigity
2014-11-21, 02:38 AM
In before Fighter20.

Tiefling Druid 9 / Sorceror 1 with an Awakened azalia familiar in a travel pot, The Professional-style.

(Did I win?)

MaxWilson
2014-11-21, 02:38 AM
I haven't read many of the stories, but I'm thinking roughly of a variant human Champion Fighter (maybe Battlemaster) with an Outlander background. Skills: Stealth, Perception, Intimidation, Athletics, Survival. Maybe ST 16, DX 14, CN 15, IN 12, WS 12, CH 17. Alert feat, or maybe Lucky instead.

silveralen
2014-11-21, 03:26 AM
It has been a long time since I read Conan, I'm trying to remember what (if any) barbarian class abilities he showed off. I recall he was good at avoiding traps much like the barbarian feature, but I'm not sure I recall a lot of well "rage" type aspects.

Knaight
2014-11-21, 03:30 AM
It has been a long time since I read Conan, I'm trying to remember what (if any) barbarian class abilities he showed off. I recall he was good at avoiding traps much like the barbarian feature, but I'm not sure I recall a lot of well "rage" type aspects.

There really weren't any. He was sneaky, he was agile, he was much more suited to the wilderness than cities (though he spent plenty of time in cities and did fine in them), but he wasn't prone to rages in either the conventional or game-mechanical sense.

Gwendol
2014-11-21, 03:30 AM
Conan rages repeatedly through the novels, and the rage is sometimes described as the fuel that allows him to best the civilized man (or match that of a beast). And yes, he is also described as having the senses of an animal. The 5e barbarian is not a bad template for Conan, although you want him to pick enough fighter levels to get extra attacks too. And then you have his rogue skills (he starts off as a thief).

Slipperychicken
2014-11-21, 03:40 AM
And then you have his rogue skills (he starts off as a thief).

Maybe the Criminal background would suffice, with Deception swapped for Sleight of Hand?

odigity
2014-11-21, 03:47 AM
...although you want him to pick enough fighter levels to get extra attacks too.

Barbarian also gets Extra Attack at level 5. The Fighter's Extra Attack would be redundant.

And then you have his rogue skills (he starts off as a thief).

Maybe the Criminal background would suffice, with Deception swapped for Sleight of Hand?

Barbarian, Fighter, and Rogue all MC well with each other. You can dip a few levels each of Fighter or Rogue to pick up whatever you think is appropriate for the build.

I don't know if Assassinate would be appropriate, so maybe just Rogue 2. Champion wouldn't be bad, so you can take Fighter up to level 4. (Both of these are obviously optional.) The rest should go into Barbarian.

Mrmox42
2014-11-21, 03:58 AM
Conan lived his early life as a thief. Then he became a mercenary, a pirate, and finally, a king.

He was a leader of men, but he was never able to leave his barbaric ancestry completely behind.

He never trusted magic, and he was as phyisically strong as any man.

I guess he would need levels in:

Barbarian (a few), Rogue (a few), Fighter (a lot).

His stats would, IMHO, be something like this:

Strength: Very high - Conan is as strong as humanly possible

Dexterity: Very high as well - He is described as lithe as a panther

Constitution: Very high too - He was crucified once and survived that

Intelligence: Good - he is very clever

Wisdom - Possibly medium - he is sometimes fooled

Charisma - High - he is a ladies man, and a very good leader

OldTrees1
2014-11-21, 04:31 AM
Rogue 1 / Barbarian (a few) / Rogue +1 / Fighter (some)

Longcat
2014-11-21, 04:36 AM
Halfling Rogue with Observant and Alert Oh wait, the other Conan?
Human Bard with Entertainer Background Oh, another still?

Human Fighter/Barbarian with the Criminal or Urchin Background.

Gwendol
2014-11-21, 04:42 AM
Come people: more details! Feats and subclasses.

silveralen
2014-11-21, 05:00 AM
Conan rages repeatedly through the novels, and the rage is sometimes described as the fuel that allows him to best the civilized man (or match that of a beast). And yes, he is also described as having the senses of an animal. The 5e barbarian is not a bad template for Conan, although you want him to pick enough fighter levels to get extra attacks too. And then you have his rogue skills (he starts off as a thief).

Did it? Like I said I really can't recall. Okay assuming that I see a few options:

Barbarian: 20

Simple, and depending on which archetype you use it could model him fairly well. Criminal background to model his early life.

Rogue: 1
Barbarian: 3
Fighter: 16 (eventually)

This one is a bit more complicated, and relies on him moving away from his "barbarian" heritage later in life. Rogue one over just the criminal background as expertise (perception) helps model the fact that wisdom seems to be his dump stat (at least in so much as he has one) yet is still very observant as far as his surroundings go. Expertise can also help model his amazing feats of strength (with athletics), especially mixed with barbarian advantage on strength checks and the champion subclass. Or it could be used to fill in other areas.

Rogue: 1
Barbarian: 5
Fighter: 3
Barbarian:11

This one holds true to the idea he was primarily a barbarian. You have rogue one for the same reason as above and a dash of fighter to represent his training in civilized circumstances. It was a bit harder to make a solid version of this than the primary fighter Conan, but it might be truer to the character.

Subclasses: for barbarian beserker fits more thematically. Some of the features of the totem path would do well, but the ritual spells and overall theme don't fit him well.

Fighter is champion. He is a brutal combatant and a paragon of physical perfection. It just fits too well to ignore.

Rogue... would be thief I guess, though the fact that I really don't see him as having more than one lever of rogue makes it a non issue for me.

Feats: I recall him breaking out of magic spells with some frequency and havig a strong will, so resilient wisdom might be fitting (especially if we do treat wisdom as one of his lowest stats).

Observant could be a good replacement for expertise perception, or supplementary to it.

Alert also is fitting for the same reason, but may or may not be needed depending on what other options were chosen.

Dungeon delver fits, but I think the lvl 3 barbarian ability already models this adequately.

I recall he was fairly handy with his fists, so tavern brawler might work.

I'm actually drawing a blank as to whether he routinely favored a particular style of weapon. I seem to recall him using one handed, two handed, and duel wielding at times. I think I recall large swords mainly, usually used in two hands, so maybe the GWM feat.

Lucky might work as well.

Longcat
2014-11-21, 05:01 AM
Rogue: Thief (Arcane Trickster definitely doesn't fit, and Conan does not strike me as an Assassin). Rogue is mostly chosen due to Conan's early background, but can probably be dropped by picking an appropriate background such as Criminal or Urchin, which supplies the necessary skills.
Fighter: Champion (Eldritch Knight is right out, and Champion seems a better fit than Battlemaster). Well, he was a man before he was king :smalltongue:
Barbarian: Totem Warrior (heavily refluffed, mostly due to Berserker sucking cashew nuts because of the Exhaustion mechanic, which doesn't really fit Conan). Book Conan, unlike Arnie Conan, tended to be pragmatic when it came to armor and realized that oiled abs are not appropriate protection against most weapons. The Barbarian does permit him feats of strength and emotion fueled rampage that he is known for, and if you want to portray Arnie Conan, you get the option via Unarmored Defense. It's optional though.

Unlike other posters, I do not think Conan is a Level 20 character. I picture him at Level ~10-12 since the kind of challenges and adventures he faces are more in line with that when taking him into the D&D universe, which as of now uses Forgotten Realms as a baseline. When viewed in the Conan universe, he may be a higher level character, but when compared to FR characters, he definitely isn't.

Stats: He probably does not fit the standard Pointbuy, but that may also be due to protagonist bias. That said, if I were to pull stats out of thin air, it would probably look like this: Str 18, Dex 14, Con 16, Int 12, Wis 10, Cha 14. Then again, it is not unreasonable that Conan's DM allowed him a higher PB (it's 38 if we assume that he started with Str 16 and dropped an ASI into it) if he is playing in a solo game.

Feats: Due to the specialized nature of Feats, we can rule out the vast majority of them for Conan. The strong candidates that remain are Alert, Great Weapon Master, Skilled and Inspirational Leadership, with all but Great Weapon Master being optional if we assume Arnie Conan.

Gwendol
2014-11-21, 05:33 AM
Kudos for posters this far ignoring Jason Momoa Conan!
Good stuff! I'll get a build of my own up later today.

Longcat
2014-11-21, 05:37 AM
Kudos for posters this far ignoring Jason Momoa Conan!

Watching the movie is on my backlog of things to do. Until then, I can judge Jason Momoa solely on his performance as Khal Drogo, where my answer would be Barbarian/Fighter :smalltongue:

mister__joshua
2014-11-21, 07:08 AM
I actually really enjoyed the Jason Momoa Conan. I like that they moved away from the Arnie image and tried to bring it back into line with the comics. It's not a great movie, but enjoyable certainly. I do know a lot of people who refused to watch it on the basis that it's not Arnie though.

Oh, and I'd argue that people aren't ignoring the Momoa Conan as he is the comic Conan, so all the suggestions with the thief/pirate background are Momoa and not Arnie in film terms.

Nargrakhan
2014-11-21, 07:13 AM
Just a minor nitpick... but does a barbarian have to be a Barbarian? As OotS comics have shown us, a samurai doesn't have to be a Samurai. Are we shoehorning Conan having Barbarian levels, because he was a barbarian? A multiclass Fighter/Rogue can be a barbarian, without having to dip in Barbarian.

Longcat
2014-11-21, 07:29 AM
Just a minor nitpick... but does a barbarian have to be a Barbarian? As OotS comics have shown us, a samurai doesn't have to be a Samurai. Are we shoehorning Conan having Barbarian levels, because he was a barbarian? A multiclass Fighter/Rogue can be a barbarian, without having to dip in Barbarian.

If you want oiled abs Conan then it is mandatory.

Nargrakhan
2014-11-21, 07:42 AM
If you want oiled abs Conan then it is mandatory.

lol... I suppose that's the case.

However I think your detailed post pretty much sums up my own opinion... minus the Barbarian levels of course.

I know Conan used rage to help him overcome challenges, but I don't see it as the kind of mechanical rage that DnD Barbarians use. Mostly as an RP thing to be honest. Conan rage isn't like Kratos rage (who I see as a more appropriate use of Barbarians levels).

Gwendol
2014-11-21, 09:48 AM
I don't know about that.

Here is a passage showing Conan fighting while raging (taken from "Queen of the Black Coast"):

The fight on the Argus was short and bloody. The stocky sailors, no match for the tall barbarians, were cut down to a man. Elsewhere the battle had taken a peculiar turn. Conan, on the high-pitched poop, was on a level with the pirate's deck. As the steel prow slashed into the Argus, he braced himself and kept his feet under the shock, casting away his bow. A tall corsair, bounding over the rail, was met in midair by the Cimmerian's great sword, which sheared him cleanly through the torso, so that his body fell one way and his legs another. Then, with a burst of fury that left a heap of mangled corpses along the gunwales, Conan was over the rail and on the deck of the Tigress.

In an instant he was the center of a hurricane of stabbing spears and lashing clubs. But he moved in a blinding blur of steel. Spears bent on his armor or swished empty air, and his sword sang its death-song. The fighting-madness of his race was upon him, and with a red mist of unreasoning fury wavering before his blazing eyes, he cleft skulls, smashed breasts, severed limbs, ripped out entrails, and littered the deck like a shambles with a ghastly harvest of brains and blood.

Fighting-madness of his race is the passage of interest here, clearly showing that this is a "rage-effect", and common to his race (the Cimmerians). It is further characterized in a passage below from the end of the same story:

Twenty: then the spears of the pirates had taken toll of the pack, after all. Even as he thought this, Conan drew nock to ear, and at the twang of the string a flame-eyed shadow bounded high and fell writhing. The rest did not falter; on they came, and like a rain of death among them fell the arrows of the Cimmerian, driven with all the force and accuracy of steely thews backed by a hate hot as the slag-heaps of hell.

In his berserk fury he did not miss; the air was filled with feathered destruction. The havoc wrought among the onrushing pack was breathtaking. Less than half of them reached the foot of the pyramid. Others dropped upon the broad steps. Glaring down into the blazing eyes, Conan knew these creatures were not beasts; it was not merely in their unnatural size that he sensed a blasphemous difference. They exuded an aura tangible as the black mist rising from a corpse-littered swamp. By what godless alchemy these beings had been brought into existence, he could not guess; but he knew he faced diabolism blacker than the Well of Skelos.

Here we see it is indeed characterized as berserk fury. Needless to say, this is the case in practically every story written (Conan raging, that is), and he describes himself as a "barbarian" quite often as well.

Maxilian
2014-11-21, 10:14 AM
Rogue: Thief (Arcane Trickster definitely doesn't fit, and Conan does not strike me as an Assassin). Rogue is mostly chosen due to Conan's early background, but can probably be dropped by picking an appropriate background such as Criminal or Urchin, which supplies the necessary skills.
Fighter: Champion (Eldritch Knight is right out, and Champion seems a better fit than Battlemaster). Well, he was a man before he was king :smalltongue:
Barbarian: Totem Warrior (heavily refluffed, mostly due to Berserker sucking cashew nuts because of the Exhaustion mechanic, which doesn't really fit Conan). Book Conan, unlike Arnie Conan, tended to be pragmatic when it came to armor and realized that oiled abs are not appropriate protection against most weapons. The Barbarian does permit him feats of strength and emotion fueled rampage that he is known for, and if you want to portray Arnie Conan, you get the option via Unarmored Defense. It's optional though.

I don't really agree that the best option for Conan is Champion (Figther), i would go with Battlemaster, to show that he is actually pretty clever in battle and is a great leader and i wouldn't really make him take 1 lvl for rogue, just fix that up with an appropriate background

silveralen
2014-11-21, 12:49 PM

Do you have to? No.

But given what I recall of him, some amount of barbarian fits. A straight fighter (champion) with proper feat choice could probably model him fairly accurately.

I don't really agree that the best option for Conan is Champion (Figther), i would go with Battlemaster, to show that he is actually pretty clever in battle and is a great leader and i wouldn't really make him take 1 lvl for rogue, just fix that up with an appropriate background

I'm not sure I agree. Given the focus in his athletic prowess and raw strength, you need barbarian or champion in there somewhere, and while he could be clever his first response was usually fairly straightforward.

Beleriphon
2014-11-21, 01:12 PM
...while he could be clever his first response was usually fairly straightforward.

And involved stabbing things in the face with cold steel, or running away to think of a better plan than stabbing things in the face with cold steel.

FaerieGodfather
2014-11-21, 06:38 PM
Yeah, I see him as a Champion/Thief. Probably around eighth level, total.

Maxilian
2014-11-23, 03:32 AM
I'm not sure I agree. Given the focus in his athletic prowess and raw strength, you need barbarian or champion in there somewhere, and while he could be clever his first response was usually fairly straightforward.

But if you're also Multiclassing into Barbarian, wouldn't that be enough to show his athletic prowess and raw strength? :smallconfused:

Ellington
2014-11-23, 07:40 AM
He clearly has the Outlander background, fluff wise. Not even an argument. I'd argue the Outlander background with one of the skills swapped out for Stealth and a pure Champion Fighter makes for a pretty good Conan. He also has incredible stats.

Perseus
2014-11-23, 01:09 PM
Variant Human Fighter (Battle Master) 1/Rogue (Thief) 3/Fighter X

Feat: Savage Attack (it isn't as bad as what some people say): This is your "rage" more or less.

Fighting Style: Deulist only because I don't think savage attack mixes well with great weapon fighting. Also you can use a versatile sword and go to town 1 or 2 handed.

Background: Outlander or Urchin... Take Urchin and use Outlander's fluff/make your own. You can pick up Perception and Survival from Fighter.

Expertise: Athletics and any other you want to give him. But athletics is a must. 2xProf + 3 for athletics? Yeah he is the greatest more or less.

I don't think any of his ability scores would be above 16 (unless a feat raised them after starting). The average human has what, an 11 at most? All of his ASIs would become feats. Also his starting ability scores wouldn't be the standard array... Nothing below 10 certainly.

Str: 16
Dex: 14
Con 16
Int: 10
Wis: 13
Cha: 16

Other feats: Athletic, Mobile, Mage Slayer, and... Pretty sure I'm missing a key one...

Hmmm I'll need to think more about this.

silveralen
2014-11-23, 01:29 PM
But if you're also Multiclassing into Barbarian, wouldn't that be enough to show his athletic prowess and raw strength? :smallconfused:

Oh yes I guess I thought you meant single classes BM, probably got you confused with the other person I was responding to.

Still, I don't ever recall more exotic and complicated techniques as a mainstay. He did them on occasion, but they weren't mainstays of his fighting style, and as soon as DM guide is out everyone will have access to disarms and a few more plus the two that already exist.

Gwendol
2014-11-24, 03:50 AM
"Know, O prince, that between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities, and in the years of the rise of the sons of Aryas, there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars - Nemedia, Ophir, Brythunia, Hyperborea, Zamora with its dark-haired women and towers of spider-haunted mystery, Zingara with its chivalry, Koth that bordered on the pastoral lands of Shem, Stygia with its shadow-guarded tombs, Hyrkania whose riders wore steel and silk and gold. But the proudest kingdom was Aquilonia, reigning supreme in the dreaming west. Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand, a thief, a slayer, with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet" -- The Nemedian Chronicles

Conan should have near superhuman (physical) stats.

STR 18 (if ANYONE must have it)
CON 17 (just not to overkill)
DEX 18 (See strength)
INT 11 (not stupid, but also not learned)
WIS 15 (keen instinct)
CHA 16 (has a way with people, also, he does become the king)

Barbarian 2 (Venarium, Frost Giant's Daughter)
Rogue 1 (Tower of the Elephant)
Barbarian 3 (Berserker path) (Hand of Nergal, Rogues in the House)
Fighter 3 (Champion, GW fighting) (Black Colossus, Queen of the Black Coast)
Barbarian 7 (People of the Black Circle, etc)
Fighter 12 (Red Nails, Phoenix on the Sword, The Hour of the Dragon)

Background: Outlander
Skills: Athletics, Stealth, Acrobatics, Perception, Survival, Intimidation, Animal Handling
Tools: Sea vehicles
Feats: Tavern Brawler, Savage Attacker, +?
There are a few more that could fit such as Great Weapon Master, Mounted Combatant, Lucky, Inspiring Leader, depending on which Conan one wants to emulate.

All in all though, 5e does a good job at emulating Conan if one picks from the Barbarian (berserker) and Fighter (Champion) classes.

Longcat
2014-11-24, 06:48 AM
It's such a shame that most literature/movie/video game characters do not work all that well in RPGs. Getting those attributes is going to rely on a very generous DM and/or lucky rolls.

Gwendol
2014-11-24, 07:17 AM
Well, if you use 4d6b3 over point-buy or standard array you at least have a chance!

Nargrakhan
2014-11-24, 08:16 AM
It's such a shame that most literature/movie/video game characters do not work all that well in RPGs. Getting those attributes is going to rely on a very generous DM and/or lucky rolls.

That's because said characters were generated using cheats and haxs. :smallwink:

When you're the author, you're the Player AND the GM. :smallcool:

Longcat
2014-11-24, 10:19 AM
That's because said characters were generated using cheats and haxs. :smallwink:

When you're the author, you're the Player AND the GM. :smallcool:

Well, people tend to dislike DMPCs for a reason :smalltongue:

Jon D
2014-11-24, 02:21 PM
Thing about building Conan is, is picking where in his history you are basing him. Early on, his a Rogue (Thief) with the Outlander background. Later on, he's better represented by the Fighter (Champion) with the Criminal background, which also works for the piracy, with the Skilled Feat, Alert and GWM.

Personally, I'd take the standard array, with standard human, putting the 8 in Wisdom, since until he learned better, he had a bad habit of getting into messes that were entirely avoidable and having to fight his way out. He got better over time. Take Observant over Alert, since thinking about it, it's a better fit, he does get jumped from time to time he just has massive reaction times, run up the Fighter class as a Champion with Duelist and Great Weapon Style and pump all you stat boosts into Str and Con after getting Skilled and maybe either Resilient or Toughness, along with GWF. Take the Criminal background.

Done.

Good spread of skills, good stat boosts and can absolutely kill ever last person in the room.

Gwendol
2014-11-24, 02:24 PM
Yup, though I would still start him off as barbarian to get access to rage, resistance to damage and killer reflexes.

Jon D
2014-11-24, 02:37 PM
Yup, though I would still start him off as barbarian to get access to rage, resistance to damage and killer reflexes.

Flavor to preference.

There is no one true build for Conan.

Gwendol
2014-11-24, 03:02 PM
No, but without rage he could be just your average Aquilonian swordsman, or whatever.

There are a few things that sets him apart:
His strength
His wild and untamed nature
Physical prowess, and lightning reflexes
His battle-rage: the thing that makes him hit harder, and faster than "equally" matched opponents.

Captbrannigan
2016-02-12, 01:50 PM
Arnold Schwarzenegger's or Robert E. Howard's Conan? You guys are nuts, Momoa is right out - that movie causes cancer. Stats/feats not balanced, I picked what I thought fit them.

Arnie
20 STR/14 DEX/20 CON/12 INT/12 WIS/8 CHA.
Var. Human Outlander w/ Gladiator feature.
Barbarian 2/Rogue 2/Totem ^6/Thief ^5/Totem ^15. (Bear, Bear, Wolf)
Languages: Common, +2
Skills: Athletics (exp), Survival, Stealth (exp), Religion, Perception, Intimidation.
Feats:GWM, Savage Attacker, Tavern Brawler, Grappler, Mage Slayer.

The books are all over the place. He was a sailor, a king, a thief, exceptional swordsman who's just as capable with his hands, of unparalleled strength and exceptional stamina, a natural leader and tactician, proficient in a half dozen languages, and on a few occasions capable of translating religious and arcane writings. He's most commonly depected as strong against groups but often overrun, and on numerous occasions barely survives single combat against foes of supernatural strength.

I'll admit that I'm basing this largely on wikipedia, but I did read dozens of the books over and over as a kid. My dad had a huge R.E.H. collection and I liked re-reading them. Oh, I did have a bunch of the comics too, so some of that could be influencing how I remember him.

I agree that he was untrusting of magic, but he occasionally recognized and knew weaknesses of the mystical elements he fought. He was definitely, in all depictions, religious. He cursed the gods as much as asked for guidance, sure, but that doesn't mean he wasn't devout in his way.

I also think his battle fury depected in the books is just as easily modelled by extra attacks and crit fishing as barbarian rage.

The Cimmerian
18 STR/14 DEX/16 CON/14 INT/12 WIS/14 CHA.
Var. Human Acolyte.
Champion 20 (Dueling style).
Languages: Common, +3
Skills: Insight, Religion, Athletics, Survival, Stealth
Feats: Skilled (Persuation, Intimidation, Arcana), Martial Adept (Sweeping Attack, Trip Attack), Tavern Brawler, Grappler, Tough, Linguist (+3 languages), Athletic, Mage Slayer.

Oramac
2016-02-12, 02:00 PM
I don't know about Conan, but a friend made a caricature of the Gym Bros named "Bronan the Barbellian". That was fun. :P

EDIT: I just noticed this thread had a True Resurrection spell cast on it. Please disregard.

djreynolds
2016-02-13, 05:27 AM
20 levels is fine, a barbarian is trained in all martial weapons, no need to become a fighter. And he can stealth, he has no armor and high dexterity, stealth is easily obtained from a custom background. That capstone is huge, to big to pass up, same +13 to hit as an archer's, with a 24 strength.

Expertise in athletics is very comparable to indomitable might, and wolf totem 14th level is the bomb.
GWM is needed and maybe resilient wisdom, that's it.

I might even suggest pump up dexterity more to make use of the long bow. Pure barbarian. He can adequately stealth with wolf totem 6th.

Aside from Druid, that capstone is the best. +4 str and +4 con.

Cybren
2016-02-13, 06:31 AM

Conan is definitely a champion. He's never described as particularly fancy by howard. He hits things hard, quick, and [i]hard[/]. On top of that, adding half proficiency to his initiative fits with his speed, without having to take the alert feat (he is occasionally surprised, after all), and the regaining hp ability meshes with his incredible durability.

I would say Conan is probably a champion fighter/berserker.
He has a base of probably 18 16 16 13 10 15 stats, is a human and has resilient (dex) as his first level feat. Conan is described as the strongest human, basically, and while his speed is compared to that of a great cat, i think it's not "the absolute fastest you can start as".

Xuthal Of the Dusk shows Conan take an incredible amount of punishment from a lovecraftian horror so he has a very high con and possibly the tough feat.

The afformentioned Queen of the Black Coast shows him sniping enemies from a very large distance with a bow, which could indicate he has the sharpshooter feat, archery fighting style, or simply a high dex and proficiency bonus.

Conan knows a good number of languages: more than his background and race would grant him, so he probably has linguist.

He obviously has athletics, as he uses it both to scale obstacles, march through the desert, and grapple foes of immense strength and size. I may even say he has levels in thief for both second story work and expertise in athletics.

If we're expanding out of the Howard stories to include the movie (with arnie) he definitely used Mindless Rate.
I'd do more but I don't have the energy to search through stories I haven't read in years for more examples, and I'm typing this on my phone

Logosloki
2016-02-13, 07:30 AM
Straight out Variant Human Rogue, probably thief or swashbuckler. Outlander background for sure. Has all 18 skills, most weapon, tool and language proficiencies because the campaign has been going on for 40 years or more and the DM actually allows sufficient downtime for learning. Has the alert feat and a custom feat he worked out with the DM which allows him to rage like a barbarian once per long rest or something.