PDA

View Full Version : A crippled caster

Belteshazzar
2007-03-24, 11:03 AM
I am running a semi-horror campain in a homebrew world and would like advice on a particular character. This player is running two characters currently one is an Irish themed male neutral-good Shaman while the other is a completely randomized chaotic-evil female menagere of at least 5 mismatched classes. (he rolled randomly at each level up from among 9 books) anyhow the Shaman has recently lost both legs below the knees in a magical elevator (think of that scene early on in the first Resident Evil movie. I would prefer him to continue this character as a viable adventurer but am unsure how a somewhat magical society (with access to steampunk tech in some more metropolitan cities) would provide for his new shortcoming? The party is currently at level 6.

Attilargh
2007-03-24, 11:48 AM
The Floating Hole. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35035&highlight=floating+hole)

Alternatively, one could look at such boring ways to overcome the disability as hiring someone cast Regenerate (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/regenerate.htm), or obtaining a simple wheelchair.

Hey, Boots of Levitation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#bootsofLevitation)!

No, wait...

Foxer
2007-03-24, 11:49 AM
Tenser's floating disk variant in place of wheelchair? Steam- or clockwork-driven artificial legs? A regenerate spell? A transfusion of troll blood?

kamikasei
2007-03-24, 11:59 AM
I'd say go with the magical or steampunk artificial legs (think automail from Full Metal Alchemist), with some mechanical reflection - perhaps a small penatly to Dex, and a larger bonus to Jump?

Ikkitosen
2007-03-24, 11:59 AM
Meet Astragoth (http://membres.lycos.fr/ericrossi/Images/Nainschaos/Astragoth.jpg), chaos dwarf sorceror. Cyber/magical legs AND arms.

Yuki Akuma
2007-03-24, 12:06 PM
Give him artificial legs, and maybe make Cure spells slightly less effective, and Repair spells heal him at about half or one quarter effectiveness.

It would be fun, at least...

Ramza00
2007-03-24, 01:07 PM
I believe there was automail in one of the books
like faiths and panetheons or deities and demigods or something.

Fax Celestis
2007-03-24, 01:18 PM
Half-Golem template, perhaps.

Ramza00
2007-03-24, 01:35 PM
No it was an arm you can replace and you also get a +2 strength bonus or something.

Khantalas
2007-03-24, 01:37 PM
Arm of Nyr. Dexterity and Strength bonuses, works for only good characters, IIRC.

Fax Celestis
2007-03-24, 01:38 PM
Apparatus of Kwalish?

Ramza00
2007-03-24, 01:40 PM
Arm of Nyr Defenders of the Faith page 26. Only works on good, and its an arm you can't make a leg out of it.

Edo
2007-03-24, 06:32 PM
Grafts.

There are three different leg grafts in Fiend Folio, not counting the replacement rollers (from maugs) or tail (from yuan-ti.)

Plus there are some from Magic of Eberron, which I don't remember. (God, that's the first time I've ever recommended MoE...)

Belteshazzar
2007-03-24, 07:06 PM
All of these are good ideas but I need something they can currently afford so if anyone can give the prices for some of these solutions I would be most obliged.

alchemy.freak
2007-03-24, 10:24 PM
Given that it is a horror campaign, perhaps he should have to either, make a deal with some sort of dark force to get a new "better" set of legs, this would only cost his Soul, no gold.

Or he could find a way to graft on the lower limbs of some hideous creature, but first he would have to find a spell to do it with and a creature whose limbs he would like. perhaps you could make the quest for the spell a side quest for the other characters.

Variable Arcana
2007-03-24, 11:40 PM
For a horror campaign...

... It's definitely time to introduce the creepy experimental-grafting doctor.

Let them spend the next several weeks worrying about exactly what kind of legs those are, as the legs occasionally seem to do odd things...

Imagine the creepiness factor... (and the intraparty debate about what to do when the thief loses a hand...)

Attilargh
2007-03-25, 01:26 AM
There are more grafts in the Book of Bad Latin (aka Libris Mortis) and Lords of Madness.

Belteshazzar
2007-03-25, 08:45 AM
Perhaps I will make him suffer a while from the inconvenience of having no legs before I introduce a grafting doctor (creepy or otherwise). Much of my world is either in the primitive or medieval state but the main three power blocks nearby are either the Gnollish Emirates or the east europian flavored Dominion with its mechan-magical airship fleet (not ripped off for Girl Genius at all) and the northern nation of Midgard. the only ones likely to give grafts are the Dominion but they have more important things on their hands. I like the floating disk idea and may offer that as a temporary fix.

Arbitrarity
2007-03-25, 10:26 AM
Half golem (iron) costs in the 25000 range, and gives ridiculous strength bonuses, as well as natural armour, and con. Course, it also gives around -6 to intelligence and cha, and requires a save or you lose the character entirely. You can do any limb, but there is NO listed LA, and a fighter with that would *own*.

Yeah. La -. CR +3

Mewtarthio
2007-03-25, 11:13 AM
Half golem (iron) costs in the 25000 range, and gives ridiculous strength bonuses, as well as natural armour, and con. Course, it also gives around -6 to intelligence and cha, and requires a save or you lose the character entirely. You can do any limb, but there is NO listed LA, and a fighter with that would *own*.

By "No listed LA," of course, you're talking about "LA --," which means "inappropriate for PCs," rather than "LA 0."

Black Hand
2007-03-26, 09:36 AM
Funny, I wonder what it is about legless shamans.

I had an NPC shaman, and old wizend legless lady named Shububala

I didn't add any fancy magical or gadgets for her movement. It was pretty much done by padding around on her hands, or in the case of travelling with the PC's She had a crude litter constructed in which to carry her.

It was very primitive, and made things very interesting on how they handled encounters.