PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Is Thaumaturge Canon

Milo v3
2014-11-21, 05:54 AM
Since there is an NPC with levels in the 3.5e third party class Thaumaturge in Rise of the Runelords, does that mean the class is canonically in Golarion?

Firest Kathon
2014-11-21, 06:50 AM
If you are looking at the original books for RotR, those were written for D&D 3.5 (and not Pathfinder). You may want to check what this character is in the new Pathfinder edition of this adventure path.

Milo v3
2014-11-21, 06:59 AM
If you are looking at the original books for RotR, those were written for D&D 3.5 (and not Pathfinder). You may want to check what this character is in the new Pathfinder edition of this adventure path.

It is pathfinders Rise of the Runelords.

Ninjaxenomorph
2014-11-21, 09:02 AM
Again, there are two versions, new and old. The NEW version, the anniversary edition, is written using Pathfinder rules. The other one was Pathfinder too, but before the rules were made.

Aergoth
2014-11-21, 09:17 AM
For further clarification, all of the Pathfinder adventure paths up to Council of Thieves were set in Golarion in the pathfinder campaign setting (the same as Faerun is the forgotten realms campaign setting regardless of whether we're playing in 2nd, 3rd, 3.5 or 4th edition), but written before the Pathfinder Rules (3.75/3.PF) were used. Rise of the Runelords was the first of these 3.5 paths, and was later reprinted as the Anniversary Edition. The initial printing used 3.5 rules, the Anniversary Edition updated the entire path to 3.PF. Stuff printed before Council of Thieves tends to have that problem (and it's a shame they haven't released rules updates for the others as well, or even just basic conversion errata for GMs)

If you're asking here so you can point at the class and use it in a Pathfinder game, you're better off asking your GM for permission.

malonkey1
2014-11-21, 09:20 AM
(and it's a shame they haven't released rules updates for the others as well, or even just basic conversion errata for GMs)

They did... It's right here (http://paizo.com/products/btpy89m6?Pathfinder-Roleplaying-Game-Conversion-Guide).

Milo v3
2014-11-21, 06:01 PM
.... why call the first one pathfinder if it just uses 3.5e rules... that's just stupid... ugh....
Since I can't find a copy of the anniversary editions now I just wont play Rise of the Runelords.

If you're asking here so you can point at the class and use it in a Pathfinder game, you're better off asking your GM for permission.
I am the GM.

EisenKreutzer
2014-11-21, 06:16 PM
.... why call the first one pathfinder if it just uses 3.5e rules... that's just stupid... ugh....

There was no Pathfinder when that module was published.

Milo v3
2014-11-21, 06:32 PM
There was no Pathfinder when that module was published.

Well, since it says PathfinderTM in giant letters on the cover and released by paizo, and made by James Jacobs and Erik Mona; I assumed it was for pathfinder. :smallannoyed:

EisenKreutzer
2014-11-21, 06:42 PM
Well, since it says PathfinderTM in giant letters on the cover and released by paizo, and made by James Jacobs and Erik Mona; I assumed it was for pathfinder. :smallannoyed:

But the Pathfinder Core Rulebook hadn't been published when this book was, so they didn't even know that there would be confusion later on though.

Skya
2014-11-21, 06:43 PM
Which NPC has this class? I'll check in my anniversary edition.

Milo v3
2014-11-21, 06:49 PM
Which NPC has this class? I'll check in my anniversary edition.

The thaumaturge was Erylium.

Skya
2014-11-21, 06:52 PM
The thaumaturge was Erylium.

She's a witch now.

Faily
2014-11-21, 07:05 PM
IIRC, from when Dragon and Dungeon magazine were still a thing, Pathfinder was the name they used for their modules, and it would later on become the name of their game.

I could be way off, but I seem to remember that's how it was when D&D 3.5 where in its later stages and you had the Pathfinder-ads in Dragon to promote Dungeon's adventures.

Ssalarn
2014-11-21, 07:11 PM
IIRC, from when Dragon and Dungeon magazine were still a thing, Pathfinder was the name they used for their modules, and it would later on become the name of their game.

I could be way off, but I seem to remember that's how it was when D&D 3.5 where in its later stages and you had the Pathfinder-ads in Dragon to promote Dungeon's adventures.

That's pretty much exactly right. In fact, the Pathfinder CRB was written for the express purpose of giving them a platform to continue writing adventure paths for. The Adventure Paths were where Pathfinder started, and to this day are the engine that drives the entire company forward.

Faily
2014-11-21, 07:13 PM
Yay, once in a while my brain isn't playing tricks on me! :smallbiggrin: