PDA

View Full Version : (5e but sorta 3.5) Expedition to the Ruins of Greyhawk Vs Ravenloft with 5e?

Ozreth
2014-11-21, 04:50 PM
So I'm looking to run one of these mega adventures in 5e. I ran about half of the Greyhawk book about 5 years ago and had a lot of fun with it, although I felt the story got a little convoluted towards the middle, but I'd love to run it again. That being said, I've never run a Ravenloft game before the Expedition to the Ruins of Castle Ravenloft book looks really nice and seems like a good self contained way to run a good Ravenloft game.

What I loved about the Greyhawk book was it was basically a self contained campaign setting that was also a great adventure. Is the Ravenloft book just as good? What do you all think about it? One of my concerns is that a lot of the monsters in the Ravenloft adventure won't have equivalents in the 5e Monster Manual, and I'm not too good at conversions. Greyhawk would be a little easier here.

Thanks.

PS just to throw a wrench in the gears, Red Hand of Doom is a runner up here.

DonEsteban
2014-11-22, 06:00 AM
Red Hand is not bad, but I'd prefer Ravenloft or Castle Greyhawk. Conversion shouldn't be too hard, because these old modules tend to use run-of-the-mill monsters. All you have to do is check if the Challenge Ratings are still sound after conversion.

Oh, look, someone's already done the work for you:
http://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/2fxgh3/i6_ravenloft_converted_to_5e_in_time_for_halloween/

Brookshw
2014-11-22, 09:23 AM
I really liked Ravenloft myself though at times its not pulling punches. It's kinda easy with some things for the players to miss out on some backstory here and there.

one thing that's pretty absurd is the story directions/hints it gives. Go see the gypsies, go see the gypsies, all through out town. You see the gypsies. Their hints are pretty much completely unrelated to "act one" aka the town, they have essentially nothing to do with each other but the game may as well have a big neon sign saying not to do the first part until you speak with the Freaking Gypsies. The game threw it in our faces so much it became a running joke for us.