PDA

View Full Version : Paranatural

GAAD
2014-11-21, 07:56 PM
Well, considering that it just came out of hiatus,
This Comic (http://www.paranatural.net/)
should have a thread now!

And might I say that is a VERY handsome beast in today's comic (chapter 4 page 148)

Agi Hammerthief
2014-11-22, 12:44 PM
one of my favourites, art any story wise

T-O-E
2014-11-28, 08:36 AM
This comic does a lot of things that I would usually find annoying (over-reliance on anime tropes, wacky faces and dialogue) but it doesn't take itself seriously enough for me to really care so I can kind of enjoy them.

Pretty good comic that scratches a certain itch.

Qwertystop
2014-12-11, 08:23 PM
I think there's been at least one thread before this one, but it fell off.

Most recent page: Bleh the puns. I wonder why they hung the banner for Day and/or gave her the paper?

Cantalooping
2014-12-12, 04:54 AM
Those are currently guest comics running.
Speaking of which, I liked today's one. It's from the author of Cucumber Quest... should get back to reading that someday.

GoldfishBowl
2014-12-19, 12:34 AM
Eagerly awaiting the end of guest comics. Not that they're bad by any means, just jonesing for more of the main story.
Paranatural hits me in just the right way, I love it.

GAAD
2014-12-23, 01:51 AM
Starting December 30: Chapter 5!

The Activity Club and the Insidious Infiltrator

Who do you think it is?
My bet's on Starchman.

Cantalooping
2014-12-23, 03:30 AM
Well, we already know something is going on with Mr Garcia, so my bet's on him.

Fralex
2015-01-21, 05:51 PM
I really love this comic. I feel like some people try to make their comics into manga by just giving everybody big, shiny eyes and other superficial "manga" characteristics. But that's just copying a popular art style (an art style that, ironically, was partly inspired by Disney animation). Paranatural, on the other hand, actually feels like manga even though the artist draws it in his own art style, because it has that whimsical, over-the-top energy you might see in a more comical manga like One Piece. THAT is the right way to draw inspiration from another country's style. I'm not saying that's what Zack's goal was (although he did list an anime as one of his inspirations), and it's not like the differences between different countries' art styles are ironclad or anything, but it's one of the many reasons I hold this comic so highly.

Wait! Help! I think I'm starting to write a 3rd-grade five paragraph ess---

<Three paragraphs later>

In conclusion, these are just some of the many reasons I hold this comic so highly. I hope you enjoyed reading this as much as I enjoyed writing it! If elected class president, I can't promise soda in the water fountains, but I can promise you a hard worker who will do his best to get Mrs. Charbroiledburger fired.

Argh. Sorry. Anyway, I'm glad I got back into this. It's getting pretty exciting!

GAAD
2015-01-21, 10:01 PM
The following is completely fake.
Ah yes. I remember Mrs. Charbroiledburger. She was a new transfer to my elementary school in fifth grade. Although now I envy those who spake of her third-grade five-paragraph essays. For indeed, I soon had to face... eleventh grade five-paragraph essays!!!!!!

Cleverdan22
2015-01-22, 04:39 PM
Just popping in to say Paranatural is incredible, probably in my top five webcomics.

Looking forward to Johnny starting to manifest spectral powers in this chapter, probably

Fralex
2015-01-22, 06:28 PM
Also, is it just me, or does the vice principal look suspiciously exactly like Ms. Bitters (http://zim.wikia.com/wiki/Ms._Bitters), the creepy homeroom teacher from Invader Zim?

Agi Hammerthief
2015-10-21, 01:28 AM
with the commentaries closed, maybe this thread can get more traffic

Eldan
2015-10-21, 05:07 AM
I quite like it. My main complaint was that there were a few situations where I wasn't sure if there was actually something creepy, supernatural going on or if a character was just drawn weirdly.

gadren
2015-10-24, 08:01 PM
I love this comic, but I'm kind of done with the Hitball arc. Like, he kept it interesting for quite a while, but at this point I just want to move on.

Nettlekid
2015-10-25, 05:49 AM
I love this comic, but I'm kind of done with the Hitball arc. Like, he kept it interesting for quite a while, but at this point I just want to move on.

Agreed, especially since it looks like we have a lot more to do if good is going to end with Hijack in one of the teachers, as suggested by the first few pages.

Although, if you go back and read the Hitball arc page by page, it's really not that long. It's one of those things where webcomic time is dilated due to slow uploads. Which is probably my least favoritething about the comic, I really love it and the story and all, but the schedule slips SO MUCH. And (unlike the one for this past Friday) most of the time we don't get a heads up about it until the evening of the day a page was supposed to go up, so we're stuck in anticipation until that anticipation is struck down flat. It's really annoying.

Agi Hammerthief
2015-10-25, 07:33 AM
at least he tells that an update is going to skip.

at Rusty & Co. ist just "new page will be delayd" sometimes stretching to a full skip.

Agi Hammerthief
2015-10-25, 07:37 AM
so, Golden Switch... http://www.paranatural.net/index.php?id=341

Hijack catches it - his team get back in and someone can out Johnny and Max in a non painful way.
he doesn't catch - he switches teams -> game over.

GAAD
2015-11-06, 05:40 PM
Hype! Hype for Hitball!

eschmenk
2015-11-06, 06:06 PM

Ditto. I was hoping the 3 page update had the end the arc.

IMO, even looking back through the previous pages all at once, it seems long. Paranatural is still pretty darned good for someone's first comic, though. :smallsmile:

so, Golden Switch... http://www.paranatural.net/index.php?id=341

Hijack catches it - his team get back in and someone can out Johnny and Max in a non painful way.
he doesn't catch - he switches teams -> game over.

Hijack is throwing it.

Hytheter
2015-11-06, 07:46 PM
Hijack is throwing it.

You're quoting a two week old post there dude. At the time, Max had the switch..

Agi Hammerthief
2015-11-08, 04:25 PM
so will this be where Johnny meets Forge? He was nerly there last throw.

Fralex
2015-11-09, 01:22 PM
Yeah, I've sort of lost track of the arc and what everyone was doing in it. I miss the comment sections. Although the older comment sections are still viewable with the right link. It looks like I can even comment on them, though I decided not to disturb anything.

Haar
2015-11-15, 06:41 PM
I kind of wonder what Dimitri did to block Hijack's second shot. With the way his hand looked, and the sound effects, it couldn't be natural.

In regards to the new pages (11/13)...

I wonder who will be brave enough to rejoin the fight. I imagine, in order of likeliness: RJ & Ollie, Cody & Dimitri, Ed, Student Council, sparkly anime kid.
And that SNAP! couldn't have been good for Max. I mean, from the first page of the chapter he's probably fine, but still.

eschmenk
2015-11-15, 09:26 PM
I'm not sure what the point of people joining would be. Hijack should have no balls now, so wouldn't it be best to just stall until the end of the period?

I don't know if Max is hurt or not.

Haar
2015-11-15, 10:16 PM
Oh... Yeah, I guess there is the BORING way out. :smalltongue:

super dark33
2015-11-16, 12:46 AM
I'm not sure what the point of people joining would be. Hijack should have no balls now, so wouldn't it be best to just stall until the end of the period?

I don't know if Max is hurt or not.

The sound effect was SNAP sooooo

Agi Hammerthief
2015-11-20, 05:41 AM
scary people are scary.

Just how many students are onto scary buisiness?

eschmenk
2015-11-20, 10:25 AM
scary people are scary.

Just how many students are onto scary buisiness?

Too many? I don't like it when the unusual becomes too usual. It comes across to me as if it cheapens what we thought was special in the earlier chapters.

Forum Explorer
2015-11-20, 01:12 PM
Too many? I don't like it when the unusual becomes too usual. It comes across to me as if it cheapens what we thought was special in the earlier chapters.

Nobody is exactly subtle in this comic. Or perhaps I should say school. I wouldn't be surprised if most people know something weird is going on, if not knowing exactly what that weird stuff is.

Otomodachi
2015-11-22, 04:33 AM
I like this comic a lot; I think it is very good.

Perhaps... almost... TOO good...
(wait what)

Agi Hammerthief
2015-11-24, 10:39 AM
yellow spectral energy...
I smell trouble coming up

Nettlekid
2015-11-24, 12:58 PM
Are other people seeing Hijack? It looks a lot like that, by the VP and Suzy's expressions. Unless they're just reacting to Jeff seeming dozy and calming down.

eschmenk
2015-11-24, 01:27 PM
Are other people seeing Hijack? It looks a lot like that, by the VP and Suzy's expressions. Unless they're just reacting to Jeff seeming dozy and calming down.

I think they are still reacting to Jeff getting clobbered by all the balls (previous page). It all happened super fast and it was an exciting game, after all, even though the VP's and Suzy's side lost.

Forum Explorer
2015-11-24, 03:38 PM

Maybe, I'm guessing that the spectral net will actually have no effect on Hijack, because he isn't a spirit or ghost, he's a monster.

Agi Hammerthief
2015-12-01, 04:05 PM
Duhn duhn....

or something

eschmenk
2015-12-01, 04:31 PM
I'm a bit confused. Those don't quite look like Hijack's hands, but I don't know what else they could be. Also, Max has an affinity for black spectral energy, while Hijack's is yellow, so Hijack couldn't possess Max, could it?

Haar
2015-12-01, 06:52 PM
I always love those pages where one person is in the background being silly. Chapter 1 page 67 had Issac. Chapter 4 page 137 had Max. And this page's honor goes to Violet.

I'm a bit confused. Those don't quite look like Hijack's hands, but I don't know what else they could be. Also, Max has an affinity for black spectral energy, while Hijack's is yellow, so Hijack couldn't possess Max, could it?

That's definitely Hijack. Let's go off-topic here and let me do some speculating. I think that a spirit is possessing Mr. Spender, from what we saw back in the Ghost Train chapter. This spirit might not have the same spectral energy as his yellow, but we still don't know if dying spirits can possess a spectral (at all for that matter) with different colored energy. So at this point there's really too little info to go off of to assume that a spirit cannot possess a person if their spectral energies are different.

Now let's leave my rambling behind to speculate about Hijack. First of all, he's not dying, so there's no threat of possession. However, it appears that his natural ability is to take control of a person. As we saw earlier, Isabel couldn't attack Jeff with spectral energy, and unlike possession, Jeff lost control of everything and didn't remember anything after Hijack left him.

I guess there really isn't anything to do but wait for Friday to see if Hijack's ability is affected by incompatible spectral energies, or some other factor. Like I said earlier in the thread, Max appears to be fine later in the day, unless someone else wears similar shoes.

eschmenk
2015-12-04, 09:40 AM
New comic: (http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-83)

That's definitely Hijack.

Zack fooled us! :smalltongue:

And it was fair. The hands didn't look quite like Hijack's so it was possible to figure it out; it was just very unlikely that a reader would do it.

GAAD
2015-12-04, 12:35 PM
So, did Hijack reposess Jeff? Or is Jeff just panicking and Isabel is reading too much into his confusion?

Haar
2015-12-04, 03:13 PM
New comic: (http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-83)

Zack fooled us! :smalltongue:

And it was fair. The hands didn't look quite like Hijack's so it was possible to figure it out; it was just very unlikely that a reader would do it.

Ack. Always foiled by the most basic of tricks. :smalltongue:

But then that leaves the question: Who? Who gave it to him? Based on Ed and Isabel's positioning/reactions it couldn't have been them.

eschmenk
2015-12-04, 04:09 PM
So, did Hijack reposess Jeff? Or is Jeff just panicking and Isabel is reading too much into his confusion?

Jeff looks like he is happy, not panicked or confused, to me. So, yes, I think that's Hijack.

But then that leaves the question: Who? Who gave it to him? Based on Ed and Isabel's positioning/reactions it couldn't have been them.

Good question. Another spirit or ghost? It seemed to be above the heads of the students on the previous page. None of the students had skin that dark, either. If not for the hand, I would have thought that the doctopi had just been among the spirits up at the ceiling and had come down on its own.

Nettlekid
2015-12-04, 05:26 PM
The Doctopi was a cute fake-out. I absolutely thought it was Hijack, as we're meant to. What I'm not 100% sure about is if Hijack is in Jeff right now. True, he's smiling, but it looks very nervous. The shake at the edge of his mouth, and the sweatdrop. Although I guess it could just be that Hijack is shaken after almost being caught.

As for whoever put the Doctopi on Max, I think it's got to be the same person who called out to him to help him avoid Hijeff's original throw, right? I'm still expecting it to be PJ, since we had that foreshadowing look of him hearing Isabel speaking about what friends do for each other.

Haar
2015-12-04, 05:58 PM
Good question. Another spirit or ghost? It seemed to be above the heads of the students on the previous page. None of the students had skin that dark, either. If not for the hand, I would have thought that the doctopi had just been among the spirits up at the ceiling and had come down on its own.

Could it be the same person who followed Max and Isabel to school (http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-20)? I'm assuming (At this point I should disregard all my assumptions :P ) the silhouetting of this mystery person is simply the same reason RJ's face is; their skin isn't actually that dark, rather Zack is using the shadowing to hide their identity. (Although I'm pretty sure at this point RJ just has it because it's become a part of his identity)

GAAD
2015-12-04, 07:56 PM
Could it be the same person who followed Max and Isabel to school (http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-20)? I'm assuming (At this point I should disregard all my assumptions :P ) the silhouetting of this mystery person is simply the same reason RJ's face is; their skin isn't actually that dark, rather Zack is using the shadowing to hide their identity. (Although I'm pretty sure at this point RJ just has it because it's become a part of his identity)
Oh, it's DEFINITELY the Shadowhand from that strip. They look identical. Of course, I would have them be two different people, just to mess with my nonexistent fans, but two identical pieces of somewhat hidden foreshadowing? It's the same individual.

I actually didn't notice either instance until you pointed it out.

Thanks Haar. I hope you Haarve a GAAD day.

Gez
2015-12-05, 09:51 AM
The shadow hand is probably Lefty, or perhaps PJ. It seems that they followed Max.

What I wanted to post here that for everyone sad about Eightfold's fate, rejoice: she found a new webcomic (http://killsixbilliondemons.com/comic/wielder-of-names-3-37/) and now she's badass.

Nettlekid
2015-12-05, 10:12 AM
The shadow hand is probably Lefty, or perhaps PJ. It seems that they followed Max.

What I wanted to post here that for everyone sad about Eightfold's fate, rejoice: she found a new webcomic (http://killsixbilliondemons.com/comic/wielder-of-names-3-37/) and now she's badass.

Well it's not Lefty who put the Doctopi on Max, since that's a right hand. I thought the same thing though.

And oh my god, yes, I thought the same thing when I saw that! Eightfold evolved magnificently.

Agi Hammerthief
2015-12-22, 04:58 PM
Ninjas, they are everywhere.

Nettlekid
2015-12-22, 09:07 PM
Well, the shadow figure can't be PJ, because he can't interact with physical objects and so couldn't put that note in Max's pocket.

On another note, I really like Johnny's character this whole arc. He hasn't changed in any way, but he's showing a better side.

RCgothic
2016-01-04, 07:12 AM
I do like how Johnny isn't an outright villain.:smallsmile:

GAAD
2016-01-22, 09:28 AM
Yes! All shall bow to the almighty glory of WII SPORTS! Acknowledge my superiority at pretend bowling. ACKNOWLEDGE IIIIIIITTTT!

The Mormegil
2016-01-22, 03:40 PM
This page (http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-85) has me thinking it's P.J. Also all the "friends have each other's back" foreshadowing.

Yuki Akuma
2016-01-27, 09:01 PM
I can't work out whether Muse is a nice guy or a jerk.

Hytheter
2016-01-28, 02:59 AM
I'm gonna go with "definitely a jerk"

GAAD
2016-01-28, 03:16 AM
Imma go with "jerk who wants to be nice but doesn't know how, so acts jerkish anyway"

Nettlekid
2016-02-19, 10:06 PM
New comic's up. (http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-100)

How heartbreaking! She reaches for the book like always, remembers Eightfold isn't there, and grabs the new tool. I really hope Eightfold reappears some day.

Mr.Sandman
2016-02-20, 11:34 AM
New comic's up. (http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-100)

How heartbreaking! She reaches for the book like always, remembers Eightfold isn't there, and grabs the new tool. I really hope Eightfold reappears some day.

That is sad. I payed more attention to the 'whoes on first' in the background to notice that until you mentioned it.

GAAD
2016-03-08, 01:22 AM
Hey Jeff, you might want to have a word with Sydney Scoville regarding montages. Could prove useful and informative.

And NOBODY acknowledge Spender's pun. :smallannoyed: He does not deserve that dignity.

Kantaki
2016-03-23, 11:40 AM
The doctopus' reaction to Spender. :smallbiggrin:Tasty, tasty pain.:smallbiggrin:
The way Spender ties it to Max' arm makes it even better.

I guess Suzy will make some trouble sooner or later (well, more trouble than bugging Max). Lets hope that Collin (Nah) or Dimitri (what ever his deal is*) can keep her in check. A little bit at least.

*He clearly has some kind of connection to the "paranatural".

eschmenk
2016-03-23, 01:29 PM
Spender is going to be vague about at least some things since Isaac is there, so that will help make things vague for Suzie, too. There might be a danger in the future that Suzie will try to turn Isaac into an ally by offering her help uncovering secrets.

Nettlekid
2016-03-24, 10:04 PM
The doctopus' reaction to Spender. :smallbiggrin:Tasty, tasty pain.:smallbiggrin:
The way Spender ties it to Max' arm makes it even better.

Oh wow, nice comprehension, I didn't even get that. It was reaching out for the intense pain that Spender's feeling, worse than Max's broken arm. Very subtle gesture.

Forum Explorer
2016-04-30, 10:10 AM
I am absolutely loving Mina. She's awesome, and her family is adorable.

eschmenk
2016-04-30, 10:52 AM
I am absolutely loving Mina. She's awesome, and her family is adorable.

And she is such a perfect match for Spender.

Yuki Akuma
2016-04-30, 11:07 AM
I do love how this comic has a habit of making people who act aloof and dramatic look ridiculous.

Kantaki
2016-04-30, 05:31 PM
Panel three is great.:smallbiggrin: How do you explain something like that? Fortunatly Mina's mom has bigger problems with her "laboratory":smallamused:. I've seen worse.
The alt-text reminds me of a joke. "Of course you can eat off the ground at [location]. You will always find something.
The entire scene was pretty interesting. I liked the King Doctopus. Seems as if it can more than the small version. (At least when working with a spectral) And it seems the train doesn't like Mina/her energy very much.

eschmenk
2016-04-30, 07:41 PM
The entire scene was pretty interesting. I liked the King Doctopus. Seems as if it can more than the small version. (At least when working with a spectral) And it seems the train doesn't like Mina/her energy very much.

I thought the entire scene was pretty confusing. I miss the comments on the website because they used to help figure out what was going on.

What I think I understood was:

The "King Doctopus" is a portable operating room. Mina was inside of it when she was doing whatever she was doing. I think it's just a modified inflated surgical glove. I don't know why it's not visible when her mother showed up.

Mirna had lifted off Isabel's skin, along with the dog bite, early in the chapter (www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-8). She seemed to stick Isabel's skin to her own hand. She was operating on Isabel's skin inside the pink thing a few pages ago. When she was done, she stuck it back on her hand, then back on Isabel somehow.

Whenever the leaves were visible, Mirna was in the spirit world. That allowed her to work much faster than normal when we saw her from the POV of the real world.

The train is wild and injured. It needs to be healed, but it also needs to be controlled. (http://www.paranatural.net/index.php?id=304) Mirna's energy isn't quite the right shade of green, so it's difficult for her to do it. She doesn't think anyone else can do it, though. Someone else originally tamed the train even though they probably didn't have the correct color, so she think she can. (Perhaps it was Boss Leader, who's color was white?)

Everyone else understand it the same way?

Yuki Akuma
2016-04-30, 07:45 PM
One of Mina's spirits has the ability to transfer wounds from one place to another. That wasn't Isabel's skin - it was a wound transferred from Isabel onto whatever that thing Mina was operating on was.

I'm pretty sure Mina is the one who originally tamed the train, but she's never tried to use it as a tool before because she tamed it while it was alive.

Mina was in the spirit world during that entire scene. It's just that she has at least three different spirits whose spirit worlds intermingle and look different from each others'.

My personal theory is that Mina is a Medium. And is using multiple Tools. Because she is an utter minmaxer.

eschmenk
2016-04-30, 08:09 PM
One of Mina's spirits has the ability to transfer wounds from one place to another. That wasn't Isabel's skin - it was a wound transferred from Isabel onto whatever that thing Mina was operating on was.

Wait, Mirna put something on her hand first, then she lifted something from Isabel, which made Isabel's skin look different. If she had really removed Isabel's wound from Isabel without removing her skin, then why would she have put it back? And yes, I don't mean all layers of skin, but just the outer layer or something.

I'm pretty sure Mina is the one who originally tamed the train, but she's never tried to use it as a tool before because she tamed it while it was alive.

The train isn't a tool. It's a spirit. The lantern is the tool. Mirna implied that someone she called "she" had been the one who got it under control it before.

Mina was in the spirit world during that entire scene. It's just that she has at least three different spirits whose spirit worlds intermingle and look different from each others'.
I don't think so. I'm pretty sure when she told Patchworm, "Let's begin. Patchworm, if you will," she was asking Patchworm to pull her into Patchworm's spirit world. That's what let her move so fast. At that point she was inside the pink "King Doctopus." Later, you could see her leaving it at which point she was just inside her "laboratory". You could see the same things in the background as when her mother was there.

Now I think the "King Doctopus" was Toolbox. We didn't see it go back into the medical bag, which is probably its tool, but I think that's what happened.

Agi Hammerthief
2016-04-30, 08:13 PM
Patchworm is in her glasses: same colored dots as on the cocoon thing.

Forum Explorer
2016-04-30, 10:57 PM
The train is wild and injured. It needs to be healed, but it also needs to be controlled. (http://www.paranatural.net/index.php?id=304) Mirna's energy isn't quite the right shade of green, so it's difficult for her to do it. She doesn't think anyone else can do it, though. Someone else originally tamed the train even though they probably didn't have the correct color, so she think she can. (Perhaps it was Boss Leader, who's color was white?)

Everyone else understand it the same way?

Everything else I more or less agree with except for this.

The train is 'dead' and is now in Tool form. When we first saw the train it was 'alive', a free roaming spirit that Mirna had control over, but wasn't providing energy to. Now she is trying to bring the train back alive despite having the wrong energy color.

This is because of an unknown 'she' who Mirna witnessed doing that very feat. There is no evidence, that the feat was performed with the Train in particular, just with any spirit that had a mismatch in color with the female in question.

There are people in town with the correct color who could bring the Train back, but Mirna wants to do it, in part for the above reason, but also because the Train was her spirit, and Mirna feels she should be the one to bring it back. Also, pragmatically, she doesn't trust anyone else with the Train's power.

eschmenk
2016-05-01, 12:24 AM
OK, I mostly agree, except I guess we need to define what "dead" means. I was thinking of "dead" meaning completely destroyed forever. I think the train was mortally wounded, but not completely dead based on what Isaac said (http://paranatural.net/comic/chapter-3-page-9). It would have died if it couldn't find something or someone to possess, but it wasn't quite dead yet. It got back into its tool and survived.

I think that distinction is important. Forge was mortally wounded. If Spender had completely killed him here (http://paranatural.net/comic/chapter-4-page-132), Forge couldn't have possessed Johnny. But it's probably clearer to say "destroyed" rather than killed.

I agree that when we first saw the train it was completely healed and didn't require a tool or Mirna's energy. I don't think that means it doesn't still relax in its old tool, though. Once it was injured, it needed to be in the tool and needs Mirna's energy to heal it. I think she can even speed up the process based on what she said after it was injured.

This is because of an unknown 'she' who Mirna witnessed doing that very feat. There is no evidence, that the feat was performed with the Train in particular, just with any spirit that had a mismatch in color with the female in question.

I just noticed that the cast page says that Dr. Zarei was the one who tamed the train. Based on her coy reply to Spender (http://paranatural.net/comic/chapter-4-page-71), I thought she had just let him think she had done it. Given that, you are probably right about her not talking about the Train when she mentioned "she." Yet the context provided by Patchworm was all about the controlling the train's tool. :smallconfused:

There are people in town with the correct color who could bring the Train back, but Mirna wants to do it, in part for the above reason, but also because the Train was her spirit, and Mirna feels she should be the one to bring it back. Also, pragmatically, she doesn't trust anyone else with the Train's power.

Right, and it's a ego thing. But you are right, she argued that only she could do it, but that's probably not really true.

Kantaki
2016-05-04, 08:09 PM
New comic

I'm not sure what to think of this "plan" It is kinda stupid, but on the other hand there is a chance it works. I mean from what we have seen from this school's staff so far I'm nit confident they would see through a trick like this if someone told them that it is one.

Nettlekid
2016-05-07, 11:15 AM
I feel like there must be a twist planned somehow, right? That none of these three teachers is harboring Hijack right now, despite what Spender said just now (because it's not like he's never been wrong.) One overlooked factor is that Principal Pleezdo was in the room with all of them when Hijack left Jeff, so she's a candidate too.

Agi Hammerthief
2016-05-24, 12:23 PM
The principal is so wiered, she might be occupied already

Also: yeah, how could the club survive for so long :-)

Kantaki
2016-05-24, 01:30 PM
The principal is so wiered, she might be occupied already

Also: yeah, how could the club survive for so long :-)

Because everyone else is just as silly and crazy as they are. The barrier mostly keeps sane and competent people out.

Kantaki
2016-05-27, 02:39 PM
new comic

That is a very sinister looking recruitment poster the Student Council put up there.:smalleek: I wonder if that is foreshadowing. Oh, and Ollie is there. I'm sure nothing bad will happen. Wonder what he wants to talk about.:smalltongue:

eschmenk
2016-05-27, 03:15 PM
Wonder what he wants to talk about.:smalltongue:

I doubt anything. It didn't look like his silhouette when the note was passed. He said that he had to work the period after gym, so I think he's just there to report for work. Also, I think that if he wanted to talk to someone somewhere, he'd just drag them there. That said, he might blame Max for Johnny acting weird behaving differently than he normally does.

Agi Hammerthief
2016-06-16, 04:47 PM
liking the shadow

Kantaki
2016-06-17, 11:08 AM
The schoolstore is a hive of scum and villainy...
Of course it is. The only normal thing in that town are the ghosts. And maybe Max. Everything else is so insane that the ghosts seem normal in comparison.

Äh, I mean this isn't a usual schoolstore, right? Not entirely sure what that's supposed to be, aside of a shady bar inside the school.

The Mormegil
2016-06-20, 03:32 AM
I am in love with that Max shadow.

Kantaki
2016-06-22, 09:15 AM
New Comic

I guess if Mr. Starchman acted "normal" that would be strange for him. Since he acts "strange" everything is normal.

5a Violista
2016-07-19, 02:31 AM
The new comic!
The last panel. Her face!
It's like it's saying "...and I wish someone else knew me that well."

That's what I love about this comic: the expressions of the character have so much depth. I really like it.

Agi Hammerthief
2016-08-14, 11:47 AM
cool page layout,
anyone got a clue what that purple stuff is supposed to be?

"Gross, unidentifiable, purple (food) stuff"?

eschmenk
2016-08-14, 01:32 PM
cool page layout,
anyone got a clue what that purple stuff is supposed to be?

"Gross, unidentifiable, purple (food) stuff"?

Mashed potatoes.

Kantaki
2016-09-26, 11:37 AM
New Comic

Okay, the cast was always on the sillier side, but I have to agree with Patchworm, this is just ridiculous.
Unfortunatly I kinda expect Mina's reaction to be entirely justified and necessary.

Kantaki
2016-09-30, 08:28 PM
New comic

And the hide under the table plan seems to have backfired.

I like the new spirit. Looks interesting.

eschmenk
2016-09-30, 08:51 PM
I think Agent Day is successful because she psyches people out and makes them make mistakes like this. She would be very successful against high-strung people like Mina and Spender. That's probably why BL selected her for this mission.

You could see Agent Day enter her spirit state in the third panel of the previous page.

Mr.Sandman
2016-10-01, 11:45 AM
I love the fact that her spirit is holding its own intro slate, even a few panels down. That is quite the ego.

Kantaki
2016-10-01, 12:08 PM
I love the fact that her spirit is holding its own intro slate, even a few panels down. That is quite the ego.

:smallamused:Well, at least he(?)’s humble enough to hold it himself.
The guy who lives in Isaac’s head would find someone else to do that for him.

That last panel...
So Agent Day and Venus’ goal is a apocalypse?
Nice. I wish them the best.

Hytheter
2016-10-01, 10:19 PM
he(?)’s

Definitely male. See Zack's comment below the page.

Kantaki
2016-10-04, 08:39 AM
New comic
Ah yes, so he can speak normal.:smallbiggrin:
And see for her. That explains that.

Yuki Akuma
2016-10-04, 06:08 PM
We've seen Venus "see" for her before - back when she shot the Ghost Train.

eschmenk
2016-10-04, 07:01 PM
We've seen Venus "see" for her before - back when she shot the Ghost Train.

Ah, yes, so she could find out what she shot with the love arrow (http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-4-page-135). Then a couple of pages later, she had her tool knocked away from her, so she couldn't use it to see what happened to Spencer.

Kantaki
2016-10-18, 05:08 PM
Poor Penny. Working as a waitress means you meet all the nutjobs.
:smallbiggrin:That expression is priceless.

eschmenk
2016-10-18, 08:59 PM
Poor Penny. Working as a waitress means you meet all the nutjobs.
:smallbiggrin:That expression is priceless.

I think just being in Moperville means that. :smallbiggrin:

Robert D. Trayl
2016-10-19, 04:11 AM
The glacial pace of Paranatural means that even small wrinkles in the plot can take weeks to address. It's easy to lose track of what to even anticipate. Let's remind each other of some of the things we have to look forward to.

Nettlekid
2016-10-20, 08:12 PM
The glacial pace of Paranatural means that even small wrinkles in the plot can take weeks to address. It's easy to lose track of what to even anticipate. Let's remind each other of some of the things we have to look forward to.

Mostly what the main crew is up to. Ed being kidnapped by Johnny, Isabel investigating the teacher, Isaac's spirit is sensing something amiss, and Max being told to meet an unknown person in the student shop is a big one. Similarly, the mysterious hand that was behind the tree as they were entering the school shortly before Hijack took over Jeff wasn't addressed, nor was the voice that told Max to duck to dodge Hijack's throw during Hitball, and for that matter whoever put the Doctopus on Max. Max seemed to recognize the voice, I think? I expect it's PJ trying to be a better friend and ally, though it's been left for quite a while.

There's also the whole "Dmitri is obviously a Spectral but not letting Max in on it" thing.

eschmenk
2016-10-24, 10:01 PM
New comic (http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-155): Max speaks for the readers.

At the bottom of the page, there's a helpful link to the last time we've seen Max 30 pages earlier.

Forum Explorer
2016-11-08, 06:38 PM
Wow, this school is nothing but a hilarious stack of plots and secrets everywhere isn't it? :smalleek: :smallamused:

Kantaki
2016-11-15, 09:57 AM
New comic.

Wouldn't knowing everything be omniscience, not omnipotence?:smallconfused:
Not that those clowns would care...
And the line is great either way.:smallcool:

But I wonder how Ed will deal with this.
Blatant lies or forced recruitment into the activity club?

eschmenk
2016-11-15, 11:36 AM
But I wonder how Ed will deal with this.
Blatant lies or forced recruitment into the activity club?

It's Ed, so who knows what he'll do? Knowing him, he might try to tell the truth, but do it in such a weird way they'll just be confused or not believe him anyway. :smallamused:

An ironic thing is that Johnny has been possessed by Forge and is starting to see shades (http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-87), so he really belongs in the activity club. I wonder if he will start to be able to see the train in the picture, like Ed does. (Ed might even think that Johnny sees the train now, since it's floating in the air. Ed might think Johnny saw him through a window. :smallconfused:)

Yuki Akuma
2016-11-22, 07:28 PM
I'm having a hard time discerning whether Ed's palm thrust actually knocked Johnny down or if Johnny's just overreacting to it on purpose due to Not Feeling It right now.

I mean, Ed has actual training doesn't he? Isabel's father appears to teach actual martial arts as well as Spectral martial arts, so

Kantaki
2016-11-29, 03:43 PM
New comic

Right. I forgot that Ed’s spirit was kinda a jerk.
And I guess the slowed time thing* Spectrals can do might have been helpful for that display.

*And the training of course. Not to mention that he doesn't look like he has any training.

Agi Hammerthief
2016-12-03, 03:11 AM
Not to mention that he doesn't look like he has any training.
his Memory Bubble doesn't look like he's had any training either.

did Student Council just drop in last panel?

Forum Explorer
2016-12-03, 03:39 AM
his Memory Bubble doesn't look like he's had any training either.

did Student Council just drop in last panel?

I thought he got thrown through the door.

Anyways, I love when Max gets to go into full sass mode. It's awesome. (Also sort of his standard state of existence. I like Max. :smallsmile:)

Yuki Akuma
2016-12-03, 07:58 AM
Max is kind of a ****.

I mean, an entertaining ****, but still a ****.

SlyGuyMcFly
2016-12-03, 08:39 AM
Anyways, I love when Max gets to go into full sass mode. It's awesome. (Also sort of his standard state of existence. I like Max. :smallsmile:)

The repartee in this comic is on another level, to be sure.

Max is kind of a ****.

I mean, an entertaining ****, but still a ****.

Considering how his day has been going and the number of people using him as a pawn, catspaw or otherwise unwilling accessory to their schemes? I think he is absolutely justified in being a humongous jerkasaurus to pretty much anyone involved in said schemes.

eschmenk
2016-12-03, 09:04 PM
Considering how his day has been going and the number of people using him as a pawn, catspaw or otherwise unwilling accessory to their schemes? I think he is absolutely justified in being a humongous jerkasaurus to pretty much anyone involved in said schemes.

No, Max would still be a jerk even if they hadn't done anything. If you look back, in his first interaction with anyone outside his family, Max accidentally smashed in Johnny's face, then was a jerk about it. (Fortunately, a doctopi treated Johnny, but no one knew about that.) To be honest, I wouldn't have blamed Johnny or his gang for retaliating against Max. It was just that hey were so weird about it. Also, I don't think Isaac deserved the grief the Max tended to give him. IIRC, the only thing Isaac asked from Max was for Max to ask Spender some questions, which certainly wasn't an unreasonable thing to ask.

Nettlekid
2016-12-03, 10:24 PM
No, Max would still be a jerk even if they hadn't done anything. If you look back, in his first interaction with anyone outside his family, Max accidentally smashed in Johnny's face, then was a jerk about it. (Fortunately, a doctopi treated Johnny, but no one knew about that.) To be honest, I wouldn't have blamed Johnny or his gang for retaliating against Max. It was just that hey were so weird about it. Also, I don't think Isaac deserved the grief the Max tended to give him. IIRC, the only thing Isaac asked from Max was for Max to ask Spender some questions, which certainly wasn't an unreasonable thing to ask.

He's a young boy on the edge of puberty, recently displaced and moved away from all his friends in a different city following the trauma of his mother's death. Even without the superparanatural phenomena giving him twice as much to worry about, it doesn't make him a jerk if he lashes out and has difficulty adjusting to a new school and a new life. It just means he needs a little guidance, which he's not getting from his zany father (who's also dealing in a different way with a lot of grief) or Mr. Spender using him as a child soldier to fight a war he's being kept in the dark about. He's not a perfect person, but I forgive his moodiness. And he's perfectly friendly to people like Jeff, Cody, and Violet who have done him no wrong.

The case with Isaac is a bit iffy, and is very much in the vein of potentially toxic friendships in middle school. Max was dismissive of Isaac's melodrama because who wouldn't be, but also I think he was already feeling annoyed about being left in the dark about the ins and outs of paranatural behavior. That's why he was actually sympathetic to Isaac wanting to get info from Spender, and you'll recall Max did try to pry Spender open (which Spender saw through) and reported back everything he could to Isaac. Probably the big hiccup in Max and Isaac's relationship is when Boss Leader revealed that Isaac was purposely being kept in the dark by the Activity Consortium, which gave Max doubts. Max had forged a closer bond with Isabel due to their shared battle, and so felt comfortable asking her about Isaac and the club, and got a fair but salty explanation of Isaac's friction. Isaac reacted harshly to the idea that Max was also keeping secrets from him, which I think is fair of Isaac to do, but when he tried to push Max into revealing things because Max "owed" him, Max took offense to the idea that that's how a friendship works. Again, very reasonable in that situation, Isaac is definitely the one at fault. I don't blame Isaac entirely because it sounds like there are external forces working hard to keep him down and we still don't know why, but it doesn't make Isaac very approachable.

Yuki Akuma
2016-12-04, 06:25 AM
I'm not saying Max is a bad person. I'm just saying he's a ****. :smalltongue:

eschmenk
2016-12-04, 12:43 PM
I'm not saying Max is a bad person. I'm just saying he's a ****. :smalltongue:

Yeah, I don't think this is a comic where you want to get caught up too much in issues of morality. Everything is cranked up past 11.

Nettlekid
2016-12-05, 03:53 AM
Yeah, I don't think this is a comic where you want to get caught up too much in issues of morality. Everything is cranked up past 11.

Are you kidding? Half the comic is about morality. Doorman instructing Isaac on temperance while Isaac's spirit (King C?) advocates justice through strength. Spender operating on an ends-justify-the-means mentality while Forge decries exactly that, and both Lucifer and Francisco Guerra warn him against acting immorally for moral reasons. Eightfold's parting speech to Isabel about treating others as people versus things and unlearning prejudice. Max chewing out Hijack for fighting Jeff's battle against his bullies and using it as a cover to be a sadistic bully himself. Heck, even Racist Whale Frog's rant about spirits being imprisoned and used to combat others of their own kind for the sake of humanity. This comic is dripping with conversations about morality, regardless of how zany it gets.

Forum Explorer
2016-12-05, 06:31 AM
Eh, Max being a bit of a jerk isn't all that bad of a thing. I mean, his first encounter with Johnny went so poorly because he was seeing a spirit and accidentally insulted him as a result. Besides that, his snark has mostly been sarcastic comments and the occasional insult. But being a jerk doesn't mean being a bad person, Max has plenty of other qualities showing that when the chips are down he aims to do the right thing, from cheering up Peewee, to protecting Isabel, to taking the hit in dodgeball for Johnny, to trying to teach Johnny to be a better person, and even simply reassuring Boss-Leader that he's not in danger when he very clearly is.

But yes, he is a bit of a jerk. He has no qualms about needling anyone or anything that he considers an enemy, or annoyance. Or person in his immediate vicinity. Though it's generally light-hearted. I don't think he's said anything particularly vicious yet.

Also he's a 12 year old child. It'd be weird for him to be a perfect paragon of virtue.

eschmenk
2016-12-05, 08:59 AM
Are you kidding? Half the comic is about morality. Doorman instructing Isaac on temperance while Isaac's spirit (King C?) advocates justice through strength. Spender operating on an ends-justify-the-means mentality while Forge decries exactly that, and both Lucifer and Francisco Guerra warn him against acting immorally for moral reasons. Eightfold's parting speech to Isabel about treating others as people versus things and unlearning prejudice. Max chewing out Hijack for fighting Jeff's battle against his bullies and using it as a cover to be a sadistic bully himself. Heck, even Racist Whale Frog's rant about spirits being imprisoned and used to combat others of their own kind for the sake of humanity. This comic is dripping with conversations about morality, regardless of how zany it gets.

Yeah, but that's right there in your face. I meant that you don't want to worry about subtle stuff. Also, there is a distinction between a writer having characters behaving in certain ways because of their views of morality and a writer trying to encourage readers to examine moral issues.

Eh, Max being a bit of a jerk isn't all that bad of a thing. I mean, his first encounter with Johnny went so poorly because he was seeing a spirit and accidentally insulted him as a result. Besides that, his snark has mostly been sarcastic comments and the occasional insult. But being a jerk doesn't mean being a bad person, Max has plenty of other qualities showing that when the chips are down he aims to do the right thing, from cheering up Peewee, to protecting Isabel, to taking the hit in dodgeball for Johnny, to trying to teach Johnny to be a better person, and even simply reassuring Boss-Leader that he's not in danger when he very clearly is.

But yes, he is a bit of a jerk. He has no qualms about needling anyone or anything that he considers an enemy, or annoyance. Or person in his immediate vicinity. Though it's generally light-hearted. I don't think he's said anything particularly vicious yet.

Also he's a 12 year old child. It'd be weird for him to be a perfect paragon of virtue.

I agree with your point, although I'd say that Max was acting like a bit of a jerk with Johnny's gang and was enjoying making them angry in addition to freaking out over the doctopi on Johnny's head. But yeah, I don't think Max is a bad kid at all. He definitely has morals and acts upon them.

Nettlekid
2016-12-09, 08:24 AM
New comic's up.

So who do we think the student council's secret president is? Considering there's definitely more to the character than we've been exposed to, I'm inclined to think Dmitri? It would make sense then that he's part of the Journalism club to keep an eye on Suzy and her rumors, yet isn't at all interested in the scoops she's picking up and wasn't involved in trying to blackmail Max. Especially if his greater goal is to keep the activities of the Activity Club secret, it would make sense for him to play all sides. Then again, his disdain for the Student Council's plan during Hitball wouldn't make sense with that in mind.

Then again it could just be someone kind of off the wall, like RJ. No one knows their face, so they could be living a double life that way.

eschmenk
2016-12-09, 09:03 AM
New comic's up.

So who do we think the student council's secret president is? Considering there's definitely more to the character than we've been exposed to, I'm inclined to think Dmitri? It would make sense then that he's part of the Journalism club to keep an eye on Suzy and her rumors, yet isn't at all interested in the scoops she's picking up and wasn't involved in trying to blackmail Max. Especially if his greater goal is to keep the activities of the Activity Club secret, it would make sense for him to play all sides. Then again, his disdain for the Student Council's plan during Hitball wouldn't make sense with that in mind.

Then again it could just be someone kind of off the wall, like RJ. No one knows their face, so they could be living a double life that way.

I think Ollie believes too much in the Friendship Fusion gang to keep the student council out if RJ was the student council president. My guess is that it's the Vice Principal. Ignoring the vote and appointing herself sounds like the sort of sneaky thing she would do. It would certainly explain why the identity is a secret. I wonder if the other student council members meet with her face-to-face or if she hides her identity even from them.

Forum Explorer
2016-12-09, 06:36 PM
I think it's whoever Hijack is trying to target. For some reason.

Yuki Akuma
2016-12-09, 07:19 PM
Oh my god. The way Max is petting that Doctopus is downright adorable.

Elda
2016-12-10, 06:28 PM

That gets me wondering, how many in-world days have actually passed since the start of the comic?

Nettlekid
2016-12-10, 06:55 PM
That gets me wondering, how many in-world days have actually passed since the start of the comic?

I'm pretty sure it's been like almost a week maybe. Day zero is moving in, and night zero is first seeing PJ briefly and being nervous in his room. Day one is Max goes to school, starts seeing shades, meets everyone and gets his bat, etc etc. Night one is fighting Racist Whale Frog. Day two is Isaac's shortcut and getting to know paranatural stuff more. Night two is Spender visiting Boss Leader. Day three is meeting Eightfold and being briefed on the Ghost Train mission. Night three is the Ghost Train mission. Day four is currently Hitball and Hijack. It's possible that there was a skipped day or two in there, because day three went by really quickly and there may have been others unaccounted for, but it's definitely not a lot of time.

Kantaki
2016-12-14, 12:31 PM
New comic

I have to agree with Max. Stop talking.
This is starting to get ridiculous.

And now I expect for some reason that Lisa is pulling the strings of the atudent council.

Mr.Sandman
2016-12-15, 08:39 AM
Hey, guys, wrong character. This sounds like an Isaac story arc.

Yuki Akuma
2016-12-15, 08:59 AM
You know, having a character point out that your story is stupid and cliché doesn't stop it from being stupid and cliché.

Yes, I get the point that people from Mayview are meant to be weird and over the top, but it still strains disbelief to have characters constantly shout about how the world they're living in doesn't make sense and is stupid. These Incredibly Anime Things™ obviously happen in this world - you're not a skeptic if you cry that reality is wrong, you're delusional.

Postmodernism can be fun, but this comic isn't really going about it well.

Nettlekid
2016-12-15, 07:17 PM
...You guys are aware that this page is a standalone joke and that the "Twelve Black Saint Councilor-Generals" are not actually going to be characters and the plot isn't going to turn into fighting against the tyranny in the school, right? It's a gag and a joke on anime plots, like the one page when Isaac and Ed fought General Emerald on the Ghost Train and employed several anime tropes there too. The takeaway from this is probably that Max's classmates are going to want Max's help in finding out the student council leader, which will then tie into whatever Hijack's plans with the faculty of the school are.

mr-mercer
2017-01-26, 05:16 PM
I don't have much to add to the above discussion, but I have to say that I was rather fond of the Student Council as Anime Antagonist Group gag. Getting into the over-the-top descriptions like that is something I really enjoy.

On the subject of the more recent updates, I absolutely adore FlipFlop. He is absolutely adorable but it's clear that he has some VERY deep-seated issues which will be interesting to get into. His power is a little underwhelming at first glance, but since we don't know its exact limits yet it could actually be really powerful in the right situation. This guy will be a lot of fun to have around.

Kantaki
2017-01-29, 08:46 AM
On the subject of the more recent updates, I absolutely adore FlipFlop. He is absolutely adorable but it's clear that he has some VERY deep-seated issues which will be interesting to get into. His power is a little underwhelming at first glance, but since we don't know its exact limits yet it could actually be really powerful in the right situation. This guy will be a lot of fun to have around.

Hey, the power to flip things isn't underwhelming at all. It is at least as useful as creating/controlling paper, magnetism or paintings.
Well, unless the power is ridiculously limited, but even then you should at least be able to trip someone.
If it isn't it could be incredibly destructive- imagine flipping over a building.
And that's without getting into the possibility of flipping concepts like opinions/attitudes.

mr-mercer
2017-01-29, 09:10 AM
Yeah, the more you think about it the more powerful it seems. It's the first power I can think of that doesn't boil down to something fairly basic (e.g. paper manipulation), so my not-so-inner JoJo fan is screaming about Stand battles right now. Powers are the best when used in odd ways.

Kantaki
2017-01-29, 09:34 AM
Yeah, the more you think about it the more powerful it seems. It's the first power I can think of that doesn't boil down to something fairly basic (e.g. paper manipulation), so my not-so-inner JoJo fan is screaming about Stand battles right now. Powers are the best when used in odd ways.

I was thinking One Piece.
Flipping things could easily be a Devil-Fruit power.
I mean there are guys with the power to push things*, and that power is ridiculously powerful too.
I doubt it will get that far, but the thought is amusing.

*Including stuff like pain.:smallbiggrin:

mr-mercer
2017-01-29, 09:53 AM
Oh yeah, that's another strong reference point. One way or another, I think we're in for some good battles.

On the subject of the latest update, any thoughts on who this mysterious figure might be? I'm drawing a blank on ideas there.

Kantaki
2017-02-03, 01:59 PM
Okay, I guess not knowing who that is is the point, right?:smallconfused:

And she knows Max can do weird stuff.
That's potentially not good.
Could mean trouble.

mr-mercer
2017-02-03, 02:16 PM
I may be reaching a bit here, but I can't help noticing that our mysterious stranger referred to "my" bus in the penultimate panel (and I believe was visible on the bus at the time Max jumped through it, close to the journalism club). Perhaps the bus is her Tool, or she has some kind of ability related to vehicles in general.

Forum Explorer
2017-02-03, 02:21 PM
I may be reaching a bit here, but I can't help noticing that our mysterious stranger referred to "my" bus in the penultimate panel (and I believe was visible on the bus at the time Max jumped through it, close to the journalism club). Perhaps the bus is her Tool, or she has some kind of ability related to vehicles in general.

I think you're reaching. I'm guessing she's just the bus driver's kid or something along those lines.

mr-mercer
2017-02-03, 03:30 PM
Yeah, that's another good possibility. I'd still prefer to be right, but that's less because I think it will help the story and more because I want to see more spirits with more powers: I love it when a setting goes as in-depth with its abnormal elements as possible (which is why the Mistborn series is my favourite book series).

eschmenk
2017-02-03, 03:49 PM
I think you're reaching. I'm guessing she's just the bus driver's kid or something along those lines.

I think it's normal to use "my" to refer to the bus you take when there is more than one. It would be like saying, "My train leaves at 8:00." People would also say, "My plane..." or "My flight..." or "My gate..."

eschmenk
2017-02-28, 09:02 AM
I am finding it harder and harder to maintain hope that the comic hasn't jumped the rails. And a shark.

Nettlekid
2017-02-28, 03:23 PM
I am finding it harder and harder to maintain hope that the comic hasn't jumped the rails. And a shark.

I have to agree, despite how much I like it. I'm just getting sick of the "Here's some plot, oh wait it's an irrelevant joke! Now here's some real plot, wait it's another joke! Here's plot! Wait! Joke!"

It would probably be less frustrating if it updated more frequently and/or with fewer missed days. I can appreciate that the author wants to build some dramatic tension before comically deflating it with a joke that goes the opposite direction, and that would work if it was done once or twice and that "deflation" was two days from the setup. In this case it's happened like five times this chapter, and more often than not it's like a week between the setup and the curveball so we're all excited, waiting for something interesting, and then it's a big letdown. It's been months since anything actually happened.

Yuki Akuma
2017-02-28, 03:56 PM
This story absolutely loves setting up dramatic story moments only to reveal that it's just a joke. I think it's only really had dramatic story moments three times so far, and I'm just waiting for them to turn out to retroactively have been dumb jokes too.

I'm entirely expecting the culmination of the ongoing background plot to end up being pointlessly minor, too.

eschmenk
2017-03-03, 04:31 PM
New comic (http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-182)

Well, I guess the always is the possibility that the author is setting up an obvious pattern of fake-outs so that when the readers conclude that it's just another fake-out, it isn't. Even if so, it doesn't really erase the disappointments that occurred earlier, though.

Nettlekid
2017-03-05, 08:45 PM
New comic (http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-182)

Well, I guess the always is the possibility that the author is setting up an obvious pattern of fake-outs so that when the readers conclude that it's just another fake-out, it isn't. Even if so, it doesn't really erase the disappointments that occurred earlier, though.

It's true, this could easily develop into something where the big-eyed kid (do we even know their name? Or...pronouns?) describes their abduction by "aliens" and reveals it to be an effect of spirits, maybe a poltergeisting Grudge affecting the non-spectral world or something related to Mayview's deep power that puts its people at risk, or something unrelated but still pertinent like the introduction of the monsters that the Cousinhood of Man hunts. So it's true, if it turns out to be relevant then that does redeem it somewhat. But it's frustrating to be reading week by week and feel like the story is crawling along because of these wacky hi-jinks.

lingotony
2017-03-05, 09:02 PM
I really love this comic. I feel like some people try to make their comics into manga by just giving everybody big, shiny eyes and other superficial "manga" characteristics. But that's just copying a popular art style (an art style that, ironically, was partly inspired by Disney animation). Paranatural, on the other hand, actually feels like manga even though the artist draws it in his own art style, because it has that whimsical, over-the-top energy you might see in a more comical manga like One Piece. THAT is the right way to draw inspiration from another country's style. I'm not saying that's what Zack's goal was (although he did list an anime as one of his inspirations), and it's not like the differences between different countries' art styles are ironclad or anything, but it's one of the many reasons I hold this comic so highly.

Wait! Help! I think I'm starting to write a 3rd-grade five paragraph ess---

<Three paragraphs later>

In conclusion, these are just some of the many reasons I hold this comic so highly. I hope you enjoyed reading this as much as I enjoyed writing it! If elected class president, I can't promise soda in the water fountains, but I can promise you a hard worker who will do his best to get Mrs. Charbroiledburger fired.

Argh. Sorry. Anyway, I'm glad I got back into this. It's getting pretty exciting!

Totally agree!

5a Violista
2017-03-06, 01:11 PM
(do we even know their name? Or...pronouns?)
I don't think we know her name, but given that she's wearing a skirt on page 176 (http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-176) and wears pretty much pink in every scene (gym class, now, and all the flashback scenes) that I've found her (I haven't found her before the start of this chapter, though) and she currently has a feminine build and model, is in the girls' locker room, chances are she uses a female pronoun. (Granted, she could be a closeted transgender who hasn't come out to her parents yet and isn't on hormones because she's only in 7th grade, or she could actually be a boy who really likes skirts and pink clothing and girls' locker rooms and is overweight enough to look like he has breasts. However, most likely this character is supposed to be an unambiguous she.)

Actually, now that I wonder how often we've seen her before, I'll go through the entire comic trying to find every page with her, to see how she was characterized.
Chapter 3, page 18 (http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-3-page-18) On school bus, greyed out in background
Chapter 3, page 24 (http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-3-page-24) On school bus, greyed out and sitting alone; underneath Max, wearing a white shirt with pink lettering and a clover symbol, with a pink backpack and an alien book, says a one-liner to herself
Chapter 3, page 25 (http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-3-page-25) Top half of head only, school bus, says a one-liner to herself
Chapter 4, page 24 (http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-4-page-24) Possibly greyed out in background wearing a skirt
Chapter 4, page 30 (http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-4-page-30) English class, with pink shirt and pink shoes and shorts and very prominent nose
Chapter 5, page 27 (http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-27) Background character in gym class
Chapter 5, page 29 (http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-29) Pink shirt, pink short shorts, on team Shockodile, shirt says "Prefers Science Class"
Chapter 5, page 31 (http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-31) In background, covering her head
Chapter 5, page 42 (http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-42) Greyed out background character, cowering and covering her head
Chapter 5, page 66 (http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-66) Greyed out background character
Chapter 5, page 68 (http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-68) On bench still wearing pink shirt, short shorts, and shoes; says a one-liner to herself again
Chapter 5, page 84 (http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-84) After the hitball match, background character standing behind Suzy but looking at Max
Chapter 5, page 91/92 (http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-91-92) In girls' locker room, having her hair messed with(?), still wearing pink
Chapter 5, page 126 (http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-126) Sitting alone in the School Store in the dark corner, wearing pink shirt and blue pants, paralleling Violet (except even more distant, because at least Violet is with Lisa).
Chapter 5, 159 (http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-159) Still sitting alone in the corner, except appearing to react when Max asks if anyone wants to talk with him.
Chapter 5, page 176 (http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-176) This scene: finally her introduction. Pink shirt that says E=MC2, the same white hoodie she wore in the bus, pink shirt and short skirt in music class, and acknowledgement that her appearance has changed as she showed up throughout the comic
Chapter 5, page 177 (http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-177) School Store appearance as well as flashback to gym class. Revelation that she's a little "weird" and is jealous of Max for making friends
Page 178 (http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-178) still here
Page 179 (http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-179) still here
Page 180 (http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-180) still here
Page 181 (http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-181) still here; confirmation that she likes aliens
Page 182 (http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-182) Most recent page
So that's all the scenes she's showed up in (that I could tell it was her and not just part of an amorphous blob in the background).

So, basically before this scene we knew she was a pretty-much friendless 7th grader who likes the color pink, likes aliens and science, says witty one-liners to herself that nobody listens to, and whose art has really been inconsistent up until now.

So I actually like these side-scenes with Max. I don't care that it doesn't seem to be advancing the main plot; it lets us explore the other characters who are Max's friends (the ones who aren't involved with spirit stuff) such as Violet and Cody the others. It reveals that this town is every bit as strange for everyone else as it is for Max, and that the other minor characters are the main characters in their own story: or, in other words, Max isn't the center of everything. Overall, I like it. Plus, it's a reason for Max to not be currently involved in the brain-spirit-hunt until later (he has a different opinion on the character of the brain-thing, so there's a reason to leave him out until later). I think it will somehow tie into the rest of the plots, but I don't particularly care if it does. I also think it will show that Max isn't such a sarcastic rude person as he usually is shown as: he'll end up being friendly and caring to this girl in pink, I believe. It also show that people really do think the people in the Paranatural Club are strange and Johnny isn't the only one who noticed. Besides, there's all sorts of ways aliens could be connected to spirits.

Nettlekid
2017-03-28, 04:57 AM
New comic's up! (http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-187)

Some nice exposition about RJ's pronouns, even if it was kind of unnecessary for anyone who read he cast page.

Although, this might be seeding the story for a future twist of some kind. Max and his dad are right behind RJ at the concert! Max was even wearing that same Insolent Children sweatshirt in gym class. (http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-29) Maybe the other background characters will be important too, characters from Max's past. Those two blonds to our left of Max and his dad are detailed enough that they look like they could show up later and we'd be supposed to recognize them, unlike the guy on the top left for example.

eschmenk
2017-03-28, 07:58 AM
New comic's up! (http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-187)

Some nice exposition about RJ's pronouns, even if it was kind of unnecessary for anyone who read he cast page.

Although, this might be seeding the story for a future twist of some kind. Max and his dad are right behind RJ at the concert! Max was even wearing that same Insolent Children sweatshirt in gym class. (http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-29) Maybe the other background characters will be important too, characters from Max's past. Those two blonds to our left of Max and his dad are detailed enough that they look like they could show up later and we'd be supposed to recognize them, unlike the guy on the top left for example.

I'm not sure that was Max and his dad. Max has shorter hair than that, now at least. It does look like his dad, though.

JinkyS
2017-04-17, 08:28 PM
Eagerly awaiting the end of guest comics. Not that they're bad by any means, just jonesing for more of the main story.

Kantaki
2017-04-26, 10:38 AM
New comic

Huh, I wonder it whatever Stormy is sensing is related to Mr. „local business owner”.
Not that I have any idea what's going on anymore.
ASoIaF has less loose strings than this story right now...:smallsigh:

Domochevsky
2017-05-06, 04:12 PM
Dat buildup of tension (http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-197)!
Can't wait for that to deflate in a comical fart on the next page. >_>