PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder My 3.PF DM had us go mythic and holy crap some of these abilities are blowing my mind

AnonymousPepper
2014-11-21, 07:58 PM
It's already a very high-power campaign - I'm playing a DWKobold Loredrake version of the Mailman, and that's just a reaction to the bad guys he threw at us last campaign, if that tells you anything - and he just told us at the end of last sesh that we gained a mythic tier. More than one for me because I'm literally wearing plot armor (imbued with the entire essence of some god due to plot reasons from previous campaign). But anyway, so I went and looked at some of these abilities and feats...

First thing that comes to mind - holy crap but Wild Arcana is the most ridiculously strong thing for a sorcerer ever, and I get it at first level.

Second thing that comes to mind - I'm never going to lose initiative again. Mythic Improved Initiative (and by extension regular II) plus Mythic Initiative plus Display of Dexterity plus eventually Moment of Prescience means that if I spend two MP at the start of an encounter, I have an 84 initiative score before my dexmod or any other initiative-boosting items and spells (Nerveskitter, Sandals of the Vagabond, etc).

Third thing is the Channel Power ability at MT6, especially given that being the Mailman with PF feat progression I'm already metamagicking out the wazoo. Can you say SR:No, save DC +4, Twin Intensified Maximized Empowered Invisible Miser with Magic Channeled Mythic Disintegrate? Preferably dropped in a Greater Arcane Fusion with True Strike, preceded by another GAF containing a True Strike and a Channeled Avasculate? And if that's not enough, Greater Celerity for another metamagicked Mythic Disintegrate? Why yes, I will drop your BBEG in one round thank you very much.

And fourth, with all those high level spell slots being used, that Recuperate ability at MT3... like... wow, I'm never going to run out of spell slots again. I'm going to to be able to nova so ridiculously hard...

Like, wow, Mythic stuff has so much in the way of game-breaking shenanigans available. I never looked at this before but wow.

In conclusion:
http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/2011/09/mind_blown.gif

Blackhawk748
2014-11-21, 08:18 PM
Well it IS how PF does Epic Levels, its also similar to gaining a Divine rank......... or 10. So ya have all the explosions! Destroy all the evil flying castles! In short, NUKE EVERYTHING!!

Raven777
2014-11-21, 08:21 PM
Welcome to Pathfinder: Exalted Edition! :smallbiggrin:

AnonymousPepper
2014-11-21, 08:27 PM
Welcome to Pathfinder: Exalted Edition! :smallbiggrin:

But do I get bonus dice for describing the awesome things I'm doing?

Abd al-Azrad
2014-11-22, 07:28 AM
Hey Mr. Pepper, think you could keep me posted as to some of your discoveries as you go? I'm likely going to be instituting a Mythic arc in one of my games, and I'd be curious what to watch out for.

Granted, this is pretty much a game where I let the PCs run rampant and wreck the world as they wish. But I'd like to make sure there are occasionally some challenging fights.

AnonymousPepper
2014-11-22, 07:35 AM
Sure thing.

Just bear in mind that this would be from the perspective of a full caster that's already on the borderline between practical and theoretical optimization as-is, with another dirty cheating rudisplorker in the group playing a ghost archivist to boot, with full support of an artificer.

What I'm saying is, we've got a very, very high-power group already, so some of what comes out isn't going to be the same for me as it is for you. But I'll certainly give you my impressions of it.

In any case, I asked the DM, for the sake of planning how I was going to build my mythic tiers and such, and he said he anticipates us reaching MT 5-6 or so, so I'm not gonna be able to give you the nitty-gritty on MT10 in practice.

Abd al-Azrad
2014-11-22, 07:48 AM
Sounds perfect. My group's pretty high powered as well, and at least the full caster players are better builders than I. I'm planning on basically turning Mythic off and on as they progress, to keep a bit of a lid on the craziest stuff, but whatever the case I'm expecting them to trounce nearly everything when it's Mythic: Activate.

Kol Korran
2014-11-22, 09:31 AM
I'm playing the Wrath of the Righteous PF campaign path. (See sig if interested). The players gottheir first mythic tier at level 5/6 or so, and have just gotten their second tier (Mid level 7). We do seem less optimized and high powered than the OP game is. I'll copy paste out conclusions from our gaming so far:

Experiences with Mythic play- Tier 1

So, we have played with the first tier of mythic power till now. How did it play so far? Well, the surge has almost never been used so far. (Maybe because it's just a 1d6). Each character used mythic power nearly solely for their path signature ability- the casters just used it to add a lot of spontaneous spells, and the mundanes added their powerful attacks (Either rolling twice and choosing the best or making it a sneak attack) not considering DR.

The effects?

More caster versatility. For prepared casters, such as Sena, it means less dependency on scrolls (He hasn't used any since he got Mythic power), and "having" more utility spells. For spontaneous casters (Such as Julian), it means having a much more varied "spell list" to choose from.
More caster power: since the spell level is only limited by the highest level the caster can cast usually, these extra spells are almost always from the highest spell level, givign the caster in effect a bunch load of extra spells of this high level, often more than lower levels! Sena for example was spamming Smite Evil left and right in the siege battle and the previous battles. I am less worried about this now, but as mythic power points increase by 2 for each level, this may mean a LOT of spells. It's the only problem I have with mythic power so far.
More attacks, and more powerful- DR becomes a sort of a joke. (Soltengrabbe's epic DR didn't help much). Since the extra attack of the mundanes can be added to any round (As long as there was any attack there), the players spam as many extra attacks as the mundanes do spells. They often hit more and cause decent- serious damage.
The "Hard to kill" Ability is a life saver. It saved 1 or 2 characters from dying (I think it was Mad dog on both cases :smalltongue:). Though I like the "double hp to die" aspect, I do miss the bleeding to death and tension it caused.

On the whole though, Julian's and Andera's player said- it gives the characters a feeling that they are something special, unique, beyond the normal constraints of others, or in other words- Mythic... So I guess it does get the feeling across. I did feel some challenges were easier to deal with, but not by a whole lot. It also makes the game less... clunky, since the characters (mostly casters) have more options, and thus they get stuck less and move the game more.

So all in all, I'm for it. I will discuss with the players about the "spamming the highest level spells" aspect with them before the next session, see what they have to say.

Ninjaxenomorph
2014-11-22, 09:54 AM
I think that Wild Arcana and it's similar abilities were errata'd to be standard actions.

Raven777
2014-11-22, 03:04 PM
I think that Wild Arcana and it's similar abilities were errata'd to be standard actions.

They were. The FAQ/Errata also explicitly modifies the text so that you cannot use the ability on spells that take longer that a Standard Action to cast, so you cannot use Wild Arcana to whip up summons within a Standard either. Actually, it puts all spells with a casting time longer than Standard out of the ability's reach altogether.

Wild Arcana (Su): As a standard action, you can expend one use of mythic power to cast any one arcane spell without expending a prepared spell or spell slot. The spell must be on one of your arcane class spell lists, must be of a level that you can cast with that arcane spellcasting class, and must have a casting time of "1 standard action" (or less). You don’t need to have the spell prepared, nor does it need to be on your list of spells known. When casting a spell in this way, you treat your caster level as 2 levels higher for the purpose of any effect dependent on level. You can apply any metamagic feats you know to this spell, but its total adjusted level can’t be greater than that of the highest-level arcane spell you can cast from that spellcasting class.

AnonymousPepper
2014-11-22, 03:39 PM
Well, thank Mystra for 3.PF and Arcane Spellsurge then, eh? :belkar:

Thank you based Dragon Magic.

Raven777
2014-11-22, 03:47 PM
Well, sure, if you are mixing Mythic and 3.5, the results are going to be interesting.

AnonymousPepper
2014-11-22, 03:51 PM
Well, sure, if you are mixing Mythic and 3.5, the results are going to be interesting.

Oh yeah.

Seriously, I'm mixing the Mailman on crack with Mythic. I don't think it could have gone any other way than interesting.

We're only level 10 (well, okay, I cast as a Sorc13, but still), so the Direct Damage gods have only begun to notice me. That's going to change.

Fortunately for the campaign balance, the DM understands very well that I'm a very single-focus kinda character... and then he threw Mythic at me and made me a spontaneous Wizard. :smallbiggrin: