PDA

View Full Version : Advice for an Ultimate Magus to be [3.P]

ZeroSpace9000
2014-11-21, 08:17 PM
A friend of mine is starting up a game shortly, and the PC's will be students at what amounts to a high-magic Hogwarts. I've decided to play something new, and I'm going with a wizard/sorcerer into Ultimate Magus. I'm looking for some opinions on spell selections, both for my wizard casting as well as sorcerer.

Of note, this game is mainly Pathfinder, with the only non PF items explicitly allowed being 3.5 prestige classes. This had shut down the idea of going with the standard Wizard/Beguiler setup, as now 3.5 base classes. Also, stats for this character (unassigned) are 18/15/14/14/8/8, and starting at level 1 or 2.

I definitely think I'll go with Sage-blooded for my sorc bloodline to eliminate MAD. Still working on what feats I want to take, as I don't have a definite focus yet.

Before I forget, the only other PC I'm aware of right now is a Witch, not terribly sure about focus there.

Manly Man
2014-11-22, 02:17 AM
You might want to try being an Arcanist, it's already a cross between Wizard and Sorcerer in one base class, and has a lot of swapping functions.

T.G. Oskar
2014-11-22, 03:03 AM
Why not Arcanist/Sorcerer/Ultimate Magus?

Arcanist would be the "prepared" spellcaster class, while Sorcerer works as the "spontaneous" spellcaster class. Try to start as a Sorcerer with the Wildblooded archetype, in order to eventually go into Blood Arcanist (or just take the Bloodline Development and Familiar Arcanist Exploits), until you qualify into Ultimate Magus (though it'll take some time). It'll be difficult to advance so that you end up with a higher caster level for Sorcerer than for Arcanist (so that you can advance Arcanist on the levels where you advance only once). Arcanist would hold most of the spells you'd need to prepare for the day, whereas the Sorcerer would have the utility spells.

That would make for a pretty scary spellcaster, IMO.

Zanos
2014-11-22, 05:44 AM
Why not Arcanist/Sorcerer/Ultimate Magus?

Arcanist would be the "prepared" spellcaster class, while Sorcerer works as the "spontaneous" spellcaster class. Try to start as a Sorcerer with the Wildblooded archetype, in order to eventually go into Blood Arcanist (or just take the Bloodline Development and Familiar Arcanist Exploits), until you qualify into Ultimate Magus (though it'll take some time). It'll be difficult to advance so that you end up with a higher caster level for Sorcerer than for Arcanist (so that you can advance Arcanist on the levels where you advance only once). Arcanist would hold most of the spells you'd need to prepare for the day, whereas the Sorcerer would have the utility spells.

That would make for a pretty scary spellcaster, IMO.
Since both Sorcerer and Arcanist have delayed progression, you wouldn't be able to get into UM until level 9, and PF doesn't have Practiced Spellcaster so being a multicassed caster hurts a lot.

I recommend just going full arcanst, unless your desire to go into UM is for having tons of spell slots.

ZeroSpace9000
2014-11-22, 09:25 AM
The Dm has made conditional allowances for spells, so I might be able to convince him to allow Practised Spellcaster. Also, UM only requires 1st level casting on the spontaneous side, for reference.

Arcanist... would require some claraifcation from the dm, just to see how the **** it interacts with UM. The Dm would likely be amenable to this, as Arcanist is his new favorite class.

ZeroSpace9000
2014-11-22, 01:02 PM
One thing I forgot, all PC's that don't already have an arcane bonded item will be given one, and bond-less casting DC is now spell lvl times 15.
Yes, I know.

Pex
2014-11-22, 01:49 PM
Does the game allow for traits? There is a trait that gives you +2 caster level up to your HD, i.e. a half-value Practiced Spellcaster.

If you really, really want to play an Ultimate Magus, great. However, the idea behind playing an Arcanist is you don't have to. The class allows for you to have a similar ability with regards to metamagic plus some other class features. What Ultimate Magus gives you is more spell slots per day and spells available to cast.

If you are going to play an Ultimate Magus, go with Wizard/Sorcerer. Specialize your Wizard and use Sorcerer to know key spells of your opposition schools you really, really want. For example, if Illusion is an opposition school you can still use Sorcerer for Invisibility, Mirror Image, and/or Displacement.

Topple Spell is a nice metamagic feat to have. Cast a force spell to give a free trip attempt for +1 spell level slot. Mainly you use it with Magic Missile.

Do ask if you can use alternative favored class bonus based on race. Play a human or half-human for extra spells known.

Zanos
2014-11-22, 05:03 PM
One thing I forgot, all PC's that don't already have an arcane bonded item will be given one, and bond-less casting DC is now spell lvl times 15.
Yes, I know.
I highly suggest picking a ring, casting magic aura everyday on it to make it look non-magical, wear 9 other non-magical rings, and wear gloves over those.

Bonded items suck by default, being incapable of ever casting anything higher than 2nd level without one is just laughable.