PDA

View Full Version : Class/Race quandry

AOKost
2014-11-21, 10:06 PM
I have a DM whos house rules say that we can use any class from any source, but that we are only to use creatures from the Biestiary. We can also create new races with the rules from the Biestiary. I wish to use or incorporate the Illithid Savant class into our game, but as the class requires the Mind Flayer, and the Mind Flayer is not a part of the Pathfinder Biestiary, and has said that we can not include it, but if we can come up with another way to incorporate it that we will be able to use it. He also ruled that to gain the benefits from this that the beeing being "obsorbed" must parish. My solution to this is to create a race that attains these qualities naturally but usually die before they get them. They also reproduce exceptionally slowly, so there are very few to begin with. This is what I've come up with:

Miasas are spider-like humanoids. They are thankfully few, but no one really knows how many there are as their shape-shifting ability keeps them well hidden. They are able to create and make powerful webs that can hold adventurers fast, and heal at astonishing rates. They have been known to poison their victims for later and to focus on those still putting up a fight, but they are not opposed to fleeing with their pray. Highly intelligent they set traps in any environment they enhabit, usually using thin webs to cover caverns that will maim, but not kill, or to trap. They have taught themselves how to use all forms of blades, and how to fight unarmed as they have no fangs or natural weapons that anyone knows of, but seem to have plenty of poison.

MIASA CR 1 or based on HD/Lvl
Female Miasa
CN Medium humanoid (Miasa)
Init +6; Senses Perception +12

DEFENSE
AC 21, touch 18, flat-footed 15 (+6 Dex, +3 Natural (+1 per 3 HD) +2 dodge)
HP: 9 (1d10+3) Fast Healing 1*
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +8, Will +7
Defensive Training

OFFENSE
Speed: 40 ft.
Melee: Touch attack +8 -2 levels energy drain (Fort DC 16) + Poison (Fort DC 14)
Ranged: Mighty Composite Compound Ranged Dragonbone Greatbow +8 (1d10 + 2 + Poison (Fort DC 14) 20 x3 150 ft range)
Special: Multiarmed, Poison, Web

STATISTICS
Str 14, Dex 22, Con 16, Int 18, Wis 20, Cha 16
Base Atk +0; CMB +1; CMD 19

Feats: Weapon Finesse
Skills Acrobatics +9, Bluff +8, Diplomacy +8, Disguise +8, Perception +12, Sense Motive +10, Stealth +13, Survival +8 Racial Modifiers: +1 per HD to Stealth & Perception
Languages: Abyssal, Celestial, Common, Draconic, Infernal,

SQ: Change Shape, Fast Healing*, Low-light Vision, Multi-Armed, Stalker

ECOLOGY
Environment any forest, underground, dungeon, mountainous
Organization solitary, band (2–5), sect (6-20), or tribe (20–40)
Treasure NPC gear (Greatbow [1], Rapier [1], other treasure)

SPECIAL ABILITIES
Change Shape (Su) A Miasa has the ability to assume the appearance of humanoids and monstrous humanoids, but retains most of its own physical qualities. A Miasa cannot change shape to a form more than one size category smaller or larger than its original form. This ability functions as a polymorph spell. The Miasa does not adjust its ability scores (although it gains any other abilities of the creature it mimics). It can remain in an alternate form indefinitely.

Defensive Training (Ex): Members of this race gain a +2 dodge bonus to Armor Class.

Energy Drain (Su) This attack saps a living opponent's vital energy (including undead, incorporeal and constructs) and happens automatically when a melee touch attack hits. Each successful energy drain bestows one negative level. If an attack that includes an energy drain scores a critical hit, it bestows twice the listed number of negative levels. Each level drained gives 5 temporary hit points to the Miasa. These temporary hit points last for a maximum of 1 hour. Negative levels remain until 24 hours have passed or until they are removed with a spell, such as restoration. If a negative level is not removed before 24 hours have passed, the affected creature must attempt a Fortitude save (DC 10 + 1/2 the Miasa's HD + Miasa's Wis modifier). On a success, the negative level goes away with no harm to the creature. On a failure, the negative level becomes permanent. A separate saving throw is required for each negative level. If the creature dies from negative levels, the Miasa, depending upon its level, can take ranks in skills, feats, class features, and even racial abilities and special qualities.

Climb (Ex): Benefit: Members of this race have a climb speed of 20 feet, and gain the +8 racial bonus on Climb checks that a climb speed normally grants.

Expert Climber (Ex): Prerequisite: Climb racial trait; Benefit: Members of this race can cling to cave walls and even ceilings as long as the surface has hand- and footholds. In effect, members of this race are treated as being constantly under the effects of a non-magical spider climb spell, save that members of this race cannot cling to smooth surfaces. This trait doubles the normal +8 racial bonus on Climb checks normally granted to creatures with a climb speed (to a total +16 bonus).

Fast Healing (Ex) Miasa regains hit points at an exceptional rate, usually 1 or more hit points per round, as given in their entry. Except where noted here, fast healing is just like natural healing, but Miasa have the rare ability to reattach or even regrow lost body parts. Regrowing body parts takes 1d6 - Con Modifier days. Fast healing does not restore hit points lost from starvation, thirst, or suffocation. Fast healing continues to function (even at negative hit points) until a Miasa dies, at which point the effects of fast healing end immediately.
*Fast Healing increase at a rate of +1 at 5HD, and every 5HD after that (5, 10, 15, 20, etc.)

Low-Light Vision (Ex) A Miasa can see two times as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of dim light. It retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.

Multi-Armed (Ex) A Miasa has six arms. One hand is considered its primary hand; all others are considered off hands. It can use any of its hands for other purposes that require free hands.

Poison (Ex) A creature with this ability can poison those it attacks. The Miasas poison inflicts 1d6 Con damage, and the next minute a second failed Fort save knocks the victim unconscious. The poison is secreted from the Miasas fingers onto weapons or they can touch the creature to deliver it through contact. The saving throw to resist a poison is a Fort save (DC 10 + 1/2 the Miasa's HD + the Miasa's Con modifier). Poisons can be removed through neutralize poison and similar effects.

Stalker (Ex): Perception and Stealth are class skills for a Miasa.

Web (Ex): Miasa's have a web ability they can use webs to support themselves and up to one additional creature of the same size. In addition, they can throw a web once per round. This is similar to an attack with a net but has a maximum range of 50 feet, with a range increment of 10 feet, and is effective against targets up to one size category larger than the web spinner. An entangled creature can escape with a successful Escape Artist check or burst the web with a Strength check. Both are standard actions with a DC equal to 10 + 1/2 Miasa's HD + their Con modifier. Attempts to burst a web by those caught in it suffer a –4 penalty.
Miasa's can create sheets of sticky webbing up to three times their size. They usually position these sheets to snare flying creatures but can also try to trap prey on the ground. Approaching creatures must succeed on a DC 20 Perception check to notice a web; otherwise they stumble into it and become trapped as though by a successful web attack. Attempts to escape or burst the webbing gain a +5 bonus if the trapped creature has something to walk on or grab while pulling free. Each 5-foot-square section of web has a number of hit points equal to the Hit Dice of the Miasa that created it and DR 5/—.
A Miasa can move across webs as if it had a climb speed equal to their base land speed, and can pinpoint the location of any creature touching its web.

(NOTE: Web, Shape Change, Natural Armor bonus, Fast healing, Energy Drain, and Poison increase in daily uses, or potency/bonuses respectively. Those abilities with daily uses increase until they are usable at will. Natural Armor, Fast Healing increase at the set rate indefinitely. The Save DC for Energy Drain and Poison increase with level/HD.)

Level Hit Base Fort Ref Will Special
Dice Attack Save Save Save
1 1d10 +1 +0 +2 +2 Feat, Web (8/day), Stalker, Poison, Multiarmed, Low-light Vision, Fast Healing 1, Climb, Shape Change (1/day), Energy Drain (3/day), (not sure if I should put their starting Natural Armor here or not, so NA +3), Defensive Training
2 2d10 +2 +0 +3 +3 Web (10/day)
3 3d10 +3 +1 +3 +3 Feat, Natural Armor +4, Energy Drain (6/day)
4 4d10 +4 +1 +4 +4 Expert Climber, Web (at will), Change Shape (2/day)
5 5d10 +5 +1 +4 +4 Feat, Fast Healing 2, Energy Drain (8/day)
6 6d10 +6 +2 +5 +5 Natural Armor +5,
7 7d10 +7 +2 +5 +5 Feat, Change Shape (3/day), Energy Drain (at will)
8 8d10 +8 +2 +6 +6 Acquire Skill (1),
9 9d10 +9 +3 +6 +6 Feat, Natural Armor +6, Lore (2/day),
10 10d10 +10 +3 +7 +7 Acquire Skill (2), Acquire Feat (1), Fast Healing 3, Change Shape (4/day)
11 11d10 +11 +3 +7 +7 Feat, Acquire Class Feature (1),
12 12d10 +12 +4 +8 +8 Natural Armor +7, Acquire Skill (3), Acquire Feat (2), Lore (4/day),
13 13d10 +13 +4 +8 +8 Feat, Change Shape (at will)
14 14d10 +14 +4 +9 +9 Acquire Skill (4), Acquire Feat (3), Acquire Class Feature (2), Acquire Special Attack or Special Quality (1)
15 15d10 +15 +5 +9 +9 Feat, Natural Armor +8, Lore (6/day), Fast Healing 4,
16 16d10 +16 +5 +10 +10 Acquire Skill(5), Acquire Feat (4),
17 17d10 +17 +5 +10 +10 Feat, Acquire Class Feature (3),
18 18d10 +18 +6 +11 +11 Natural Armor +9, Acquire Skill (6), Acquire Feat (5), Lore (8/day), Acquire Special Attack or Special Quality (2),
19 19d10 +19 +6 +11 +11 Feat
20 20d10 +20 +6 +12 +12 Acquire Skill (7), Acquire Feat (6), Acquire Class Feature (4), Fast Healing 5,
21 21d10 +21 +7 +12 +12 Feat, Natural Armor +10, Lore (at will),
22 22d10 +22 +7 +13 +13 Acquire Skill (8), Acquire Feat (7), Acquire Special Attack or Special Quality (3),
23 23d10 +23 +7 +13 +13 Feat, Acquire Class Feature (5),
24 24d10 +24 +8 +14 +14 Natural Armor +11, Acquire Skill (9), Acquire Feat (8),
25 25d10 +25 +8 +14 +14 Feat, Fast Healing 6,
26 26d10 +26 +8 +15 +15 Acquire Skill (10), Acquire Feat (9), Acquire Class Feature (6), Acquire Special Attack or Special Quality (4),
27 27d10 +27 +9 +15 +15 Feat, Natural Armor +12
28 28d10 +28 +9 +16 +16 Acquire Skill (11), Acquire Feat (10),
29 29d10 +29 +9 +17 +17 Feat, Acquire Class Feature (7),
30 20d10 +30 +10 +17 +17 Natural Armor +13, Acquire Skill (12), Acquire Feat (11), Acquire Special Attack or Special Quality (5), Fast Healing 7,
31+ Continues the progression of all previous abilities/special qualities

Class Skills: Bluff, Climb, Diplomacy, Disguise, Escape Artist, Knowledge (Arcana), Knowledge (Dungeoneering), Knowledge (Local), Knowledge (Nature), Knowledge (The Planes), Knowledge (Religion), Linguistics, Perception, Sense Motive, Sleight of Hand, Spellcraft, Stealth, Survival

Acquire Skill (Ex): At 8th level, an Miasa can acquire one skill known by a creature whose brain he has consumed, chosen at the time of consumption. He permanently gains all of the creature's ranks in that skill (but not racial or ability score bonuses to the skill modifier) even if his new total is more ranks than the Miasa's current character level would normally allow. This skill becomes a class skill for the Miasa, and he may buy more ranks in the skill if the new ranks do not cause him to exceed his maximum ranks in the skill.
At every even level, the Miasa can acquire and use one additional skill from a victim slain by their Energy Drain ability.

Lore (Ex): At 9th level, a Miasa gains the ability to make a special lore check twice per day to recall esoteric information from the brains of those he has consumed. Just as with a bardic knowledge check (see Chapter 3 of the Player's Handbook for more on this ability and typical check DCs), the Miasa adds 1/2 her HD and her Intelligence modifier as bonuses on any attempt to learn something unusual.
Every 3 levels a Miasa can make a special lore check two additional times per day.
Beginning at 21st level, the Miasa may use its lore ability at will.

Acquire Feat (Ex): At 10th level, a Miasa permanently acquires one of the feats of a consumed creature, provided he meets that feat's prerequisites.
At every even level after 10, the Miasma Can acquire and use one additional feat from a consumed creature.
Since a Miasa acquire a feat from a devoured brain only if he meets the feat's prerequisites, a Miasa cannot acquire an epic feat before character level 21.

Acquire Class Feature (Ex): At 11th level, a Miasa permanently gains one class feature of a creature killed by their Energy Drain ability, as a character of that creature's level in that class. If the former character was a spellcaster, the Miasa is able to cast one spell of each level available to the character (if the victim was a wizard, the mind flayer must still consult a spellbook or learn from scrolls), as well as any bonus spells provided by the Miasa's ability scores. If the Miasa already has spellcasting levels, these spells are in addition to those granted by the illithid savant's spellcasting class levels.
Every 3 levels after 11, the Miassa can gain another class feature from a victim slain by their Energy Drain ability.
A Miasa below 21st level cannot gain the ability to cast spells higher than 9th level. Beginning at 21st level (the first level at which an epic Miasa can acquire a class feature), it can gain the ability to cast spells higher than 9th level if it kills a creature who has the ability to cast such spells with its Energy Drain ability.
A Miasa cannot gain the ability to cast epic spells unless he has selected (or acquired) the Epic Spellcasting feat. If a Miasa with the Epic Spellcasting feat devours the brain of a creature who knows one or more epic spells, the Miasa gains the ability to cast one of those spells, chosen by the Miasa.

Acquire Special Attack or Special Quality (Ex): At 14th level, the Miasa permanently gains one special attack or special quality of a consumed creature. The chosen ability must not rely on a physical feature of the consumed creature, such as a gaze attack, a breath weapon, flight, or a natural attack with an appendage not possessed by the Miasa. If the ability allows a saving throw, the Miasa uses his own ability score modifier to determine the DC.
Every 4 levels, a Miasa can gain another special attack or special quality from a consumed creature.

I have not given any racial ability modifiers as yet, but they recieve bonuses to all their abilities, some larger than others...

If anyone could help me optimize this race or give me other solutions to this problem I would appreciate it!

Inevitability
2014-11-22, 02:47 AM
Is this a race you created yourself? If so, it belongs in Homebrew.

AOKost
2014-11-22, 07:53 PM
This is indeed a monstrous race that I created myself using the rules from Pathfinder Biestiary, and the Illithid Savant class.

Blackhawk748
2014-11-22, 07:57 PM
This is indeed a monstrous race that I created myself using the rules from Pathfinder Biestiary, and the Illithid Savant class.

Then i recommend you have it moved to Homebrew as there it will get the proper attention. Just report it and ask the mods to move it, they're pretty cool about that.

Kamai
2014-11-23, 03:32 PM
I'm curious first off what the balance level of this race is supposed to be. A racial progression is normally supposed to create something resembling a 1st level character at racial level 1. However, on a simple eyeball, I would mark your CR 1 version of this (after giving it 5 HD instead of 1) as a CR 7-8. Energy drain alone is over the top for a true CR/EL 1, let alone the Constitution damage poison.

If the other players aren't going to get an effective CR 6, you have to rip and spread out a lot from 1st level. Personally, what I'd do is to leave it with just the Climb speed (which lets them walk on webs), Alter self (Humanoid) 1/day, have the poison be a Strength poison (until higher levels), and let them have multiple arms, but they can't multiweapon fight until later. With no starting racial stat bonuses, this should be enough to play fair with a true LA +0 race with a class.

Looking at your bab, HD, and saves, you have a monster class that excels at sneaking around that is a humanoid. Both archetypes typically call for a d8 and 3/4 BAB, though the 2 good saves is fine. You also need to give your racial class armor/weapon proficencies.

I'd like to take another look at this once you make the first few levels less crazy. Just remember, you can have lesser versions of overly deadly abilities at low levels.

AOKost
2014-11-23, 04:52 PM
First let me thank you for your criticism and willingness to critique this race/monster.

According to the Biestiary, virtually every creatures effective character level is equal to their CR. So if I wished to play a Marilith, it would be the equivelent of a 17th level creature because it's a CR 17. I know this doesn't apply to all vreatures. but this is the general rule for creatures in Pathfinder, and one of the big reasons my group loves Pathfinder so much even though we still take things from D&D 3.X and some other sources. This race is designed to be able to rise in "level" or "power" according to it's Racial HD, but can also take normal class levels if so desired without being too much of a hastel.

Being a Monstrous Humanoid (according to the Biestiary) they get HD D10, BAB = to their HD (or fast BAB), Good Reflex and Will saves.

Even though Miasa have good BAB I completely agree that they must learn to multiweapon fight by taking the feat, or learning it later.

I've actually been thinking about doing away with the poison completely and just keeping the Energy Drain as Energy Drain is it's primary ability, and how it functunally learns/gains the abilities later on. That is also why it starts off only being able to use this a certain number of times per day, and gains more uses of if. I just felt that the poison added to more of the spideresque feeling of the creature than just using the Energy Drain... But that's not really important... I know that Energy Drain is indeed a powerful ability and that is why it's limited at lower HD/levels.

I was also wondering why you switched Shape Change to Alter Self... I thought that Alter Self could only alter minor aspects of your form, and hence not take away the appearance of so many arms...

I figured I would have to rip and spread out much of what was given at first level out among later levels, and I appreciate your suggestions. Some of what is listed is there just to show when they naturally get it so someone doesn't try and say that it's not listed when they get something... I will also distribute the web ability a bit more, making it fewer at first level but more at later levels... Maybe that will help...

So far the changes I've made have been Web is now 4/day at 1st level, and increases with times per day over levels. Taken away Poison all together. Miasa should get racial bonuses to Dexterity and Wisdom as their primary ability scores but also smaller bonuses to the rest of their scores over the coars of advancement aside from the normal bonuses... At least this is how most monstrous classes advance...

Miasas are spider-like humanoids. They are thankfully few, but no one really knows how many there are as their shape-shifting ability keeps them well hidden. They are able to create and make powerful webs that can hold adventurers fast, and heal at astonishing rates. They have been known to poison their victims for later and to focus on those still putting up a fight, but they are not opposed to fleeing with their pray. Highly intelligent they set traps in any environment they enhabit, usually using thin webs to cover caverns that will maim, but not kill, or to trap. They have taught themselves how to use all forms of blades, and how to fight unarmed as they have no fangs or natural weapons that anyone knows of, but seem to have plenty of poison.

Female Miasa
CN Medium humanoid (Miasa)
Init +6; Senses Perception +12

DEFENSE
AC 21, touch 18, flat-footed 15 (+6 Dex, +3 Natural (+1 per 3 HD) +2 dodge)
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +8, Will +7
Defensive Training

OFFENSE
Speed: 40 ft., Climb 20 ft.
Melee: Touch attack +3 -2 levels energy drain (Fort DC 16) regular attack, Touch attack +7 -2 levels energy drain (Fort DC 16) with Weapon Finesse
Ranged: Mighty Composite Compound Ranged Dragonbone Greatbow +7 (1d10 + 2 20 x3 150 ft range)
Special: Multiarmed, Web

STATISTICS
Str 14, Dex 22, Con 16, Int 18, Wis 20, Cha 16
Base Atk +1; CMB +1; CMD 19

Skills Acrobatics +9, Bluff +8, Diplomacy +8, Disguise +8, Perception +12, Sense Motive +10, Stealth +13, Survival +8 Racial Modifiers: +1 per HD to Stealth & Perception

SQ: Change Shape, Fast Healing*, Low-light Vision, Multi-Armed, Stalker

ECOLOGY
Environment any forest, underground, dungeon, mountainous other than cold
Treasure NPC gear (Greatbow [1], Rapier [2], Chainblade [2] other treasure)

SPECIAL ABILITIES
Change Shape (Su) A Miasa has the ability to assume the appearance of humanoids and monstrous humanoids, but retains most of its own physical qualities. A Miasa cannot change shape to a form more than one size category smaller or larger than its original form. This ability functions as a polymorph spell. The Miasa does not adjust its ability scores (although it gains any other abilities of the creature it mimics). It can remain in an alternate form indefinitely.

Defensive Training (Ex): Members of this race gain a +2 dodge bonus to Armor Class.

Energy Drain (Su) This attack saps a living opponent's vital energy (including undead, incorporeal and constructs) and happens automatically when a melee touch attack hits. Each successful energy drain bestows one negative level. If an attack that includes an energy drain scores a critical hit, it bestows twice the listed number of negative levels. Each level drained gives 5 temporary hit points to the Miasa. These temporary hit points last for a maximum of 1 hour. Negative levels remain until 24 hours have passed or until they are removed with a spell, such as restoration. If a negative level is not removed before 24 hours have passed, the affected creature must attempt a Fortitude save (DC 10 + 1/2 the Miasa's HD + Miasa's Wis modifier). On a success, the negative level goes away with no harm to the creature. On a failure, the negative level becomes permanent. A separate saving throw is required for each negative level. If the creature dies from negative levels, the Miasa, depending upon its level, can take ranks in skills, feats, class features, and even racial abilities and special qualities.

Climb (Ex): Benefit: Members of this race have a climb speed of 20 feet, and gain the +8 racial bonus on Climb checks that a climb speed normally grants.

Expert Climber (Ex): Prerequisite: Climb racial trait; Benefit: Members of this race can cling to cave walls and even ceilings as long as the surface has hand- and footholds. In effect, members of this race are treated as being constantly under the effects of a non-magical spider climb spell, save that members of this race cannot cling to smooth surfaces. This trait doubles the normal +8 racial bonus on Climb checks normally granted to creatures with a climb speed (to a total +16 bonus).

Fast Healing (Ex) Miasa regains hit points at an exceptional rate, usually 1 or more hit points per round, as given in their entry. Except where noted here, fast healing is just like natural healing, but Miasa have the rare ability to reattach or even regrow lost body parts. Regrowing body parts takes 1d6 - Con Modifier days. Fast healing does not restore hit points lost from starvation, thirst, or suffocation. Fast healing continues to function (even at negative hit points) until a Miasa dies, at which point the effects of fast healing end immediately.
*Fast Healing increase at a rate of +1 at 5HD, and every 5HD after that (5, 10, 15, 20, etc.)

Low-Light Vision (Ex) A Miasa can see two times as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of dim light. It retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.

Multi-Armed (Ex) A Miasa has six arms. One hand is considered its primary hand; all others are considered off hands. It can use any of its hands for other purposes that require free hands.

Web (Ex): Miasa's have a web ability they can use webs to support themselves and up to one additional creature of the same size. In addition, they can throw a web once per round. This is similar to an attack with a net but has a maximum range of 50 feet, with a range increment of 10 feet, and is effective against targets up to one size category larger than the web spinner. An entangled creature can escape with a successful Escape Artist check or burst the web with a Strength check. Both are standard actions with a DC equal to 10 + 1/2 Miasa's HD + their Con modifier. Attempts to burst a web by those caught in it suffer a –4 penalty.
Miasa's can create sheets of sticky webbing up to three times their size. They usually position these sheets to snare flying creatures but can also try to trap prey on the ground. Approaching creatures must succeed on a DC 20 Perception check to notice a web; otherwise they stumble into it and become trapped as though by a successful web attack. Attempts to escape or burst the webbing gain a +5 bonus if the trapped creature has something to walk on or grab while pulling free. Each 5-foot-square section of web has a number of hit points equal to the Hit Dice of the Miasa that created it and DR 5/—.
A Miasa can move across webs as if it had a climb speed equal to their base land speed, and can pinpoint the location of any creature touching its web.

(NOTE: Web, Shape Change, Natural Armor bonus, Fast healing, Energy Drain, and Poison increase in daily uses, or potency/bonuses respectively. Those abilities with daily uses increase until they are usable at will. Natural Armor, Fast Healing increase at the set rate indefinitely. The Save DC for Energy Drain and Poison increase with level/HD.)

1 1d10 +1 +0 +2 +2 Feat, Web (4/day), Stalker, Multiarmed, Low-light Vision, Fast Healing 1, Climb, Shape Change (1/day), Energy Drain (3/day), (not sure if I should put their starting Natural Armor here or not, so NA +3), Defensive Training
2 2d10 +2 +0 +3 +3 Web (6/day)
3 3d10 +3 +1 +3 +3 Feat, Natural Armor +4, Energy Drain (6/day)
4 4d10 +4 +1 +4 +4 Expert Climber, Web (8/day), Change Shape (2/day)
5 5d10 +5 +1 +4 +4 Feat, Fast Healing 2, Energy Drain (8/day)
6 6d10 +6 +2 +5 +5 Natural Armor +5, Web (10/day)
7 7d10 +7 +2 +5 +5 Feat, Change Shape (3/day), Energy Drain (at will)
8 8d10 +8 +2 +6 +6 Acquire Skill (1), Web (at will)
9 9d10 +9 +3 +6 +6 Feat, Natural Armor +6, Lore (2/day),
10 10d10 +10 +3 +7 +7 Acquire Skill (2), Acquire Feat (1), Fast Healing 3, Change Shape (4/day)
11 11d10 +11 +3 +7 +7 Feat, Acquire Class Feature (1),
12 12d10 +12 +4 +8 +8 Natural Armor +7, Acquire Skill (3), Acquire Feat (2), Lore (4/day),
13 13d10 +13 +4 +8 +8 Feat, Change Shape (at will)
14 14d10 +14 +4 +9 +9 Acquire Skill (4), Acquire Feat (3), Acquire Class Feature (2), Acquire Special Attack or Special Quality (1)
15 15d10 +15 +5 +9 +9 Feat, Natural Armor +8, Lore (6/day), Fast Healing 4,
16 16d10 +16 +5 +10 +10 Acquire Skill(5), Acquire Feat (4),
17 17d10 +17 +5 +10 +10 Feat, Acquire Class Feature (3),
18 18d10 +18 +6 +11 +11 Natural Armor +9, Acquire Skill (6), Acquire Feat (5), Lore (8/day), Acquire Special Attack or Special Quality (2),
19 19d10 +19 +6 +11 +11 Feat
20 20d10 +20 +6 +12 +12 Acquire Skill (7), Acquire Feat (6), Acquire Class Feature (4), Fast Healing 5,
21 21d10 +21 +7 +12 +12 Feat, Natural Armor +10, Lore (at will),
22 22d10 +22 +7 +13 +13 Acquire Skill (8), Acquire Feat (7), Acquire Special Attack or Special Quality (3),
23 23d10 +23 +7 +13 +13 Feat, Acquire Class Feature (5),
25 25d10 +25 +8 +14 +14 Feat, Fast Healing 6,
26 26d10 +26 +8 +15 +15 Acquire Skill (10), Acquire Feat (9), Acquire Class Feature (6), Acquire Special Attack or Special Quality (4),
27 27d10 +27 +9 +15 +15 Feat, Natural Armor +12
29 29d10 +29 +9 +17 +17 Feat, Acquire Class Feature (7),
30 30d10 +30 +10 +17 +17 Natural Armor +13, Acquire Skill (12), Acquire Feat (11), Acquire Special Attack or Special Quality (5), Fast Healing 7,

Class Skills: Bluff, Climb, Diplomacy, Disguise, Escape Artist, Knowledge (Arcana), Knowledge (Dungeoneering), Knowledge (Local), Knowledge (Nature), Knowledge (The Planes), Knowledge (Religion), Linguistics, Perception, Sense Motive, Sleight of Hand, Spellcraft, Stealth, Survival

Realms of Chaos
2014-11-23, 07:56 PM
Just glancing at this, I feel that I should warn you that this class looks a bit... conceptually troubling. From an outsider's perspective, this class looks like you crushed together the marilith/succubus/drow (the three big evil females), tacked on one of the more broken PrCs from 3rd edition, and gave some more goodies without taking anything away. On top of this, any player using one is a member of a super-rare race, very few of which ever gain their true power. Finally, unlike all of the races that apparently inspired the race, the alignment seems to have been shifted to "technically-not-evil" CN. To be fair, I am probably reading far too deeply into this race. If I'm not, however, it's only fair to warn you that this thing makes Drizzt clones look subtle.

Note on Mechanics
As stated, this class shouldn't get three separate ways to entirely nullify/kill enemies at level one (web+knockout poison+energy drain).
Also, you should probably grant this creature some weapon proficiencies as it has full BAB, six hands, and no natural weaponry.

AOKost
2014-11-24, 02:32 AM
Just glancing at this, I feel that I should warn you that this class looks a bit... conceptually troubling. From an outsider's perspective, this class looks like you crushed together the marilith/succubus/drow (the three big evil females), tacked on one of the more broken PrCs from 3rd edition, and gave some more goodies without taking anything away. On top of this, any player using one is a member of a super-rare race, very few of which ever gain their true power. Finally, unlike all of the races that apparently inspired the race, the alignment seems to have been shifted to "technically-not-evil" CN. To be fair, I am probably reading far too deeply into this race. If I'm not, however, it's only fair to warn you that this thing makes Drizzt clones look subtle.

Note on Mechanics
As stated, this class shouldn't get three separate ways to entirely nullify/kill enemies at level one (web+knockout poison+energy drain).
Also, you should probably grant this creature some weapon proficiencies as it has full BAB, six hands, and no natural weaponry.

This race is meant to be more aracnidic, but I understand how you think that it's combination of the 3. I gave it multiple arms (so it could have 8 apendages like a spider), but not the natural ability to wield multiple weapons that Marilith have by far. They have a natural web, similar to a spider again. Even though I wish I still kept the poison I took it out because as you said it's just over the top of what's already very powerful. They are techncally generally not evil until they start killing without concern for their actions and just want to learn everything they can, which happens often to their species. But in the beginning they really only care about protecting their small comunities from attack. This race is primarily so rare because of its possible power, but also because it's meant more for the DM than a player. Though a DM could relatively easily decide to let a player play one. They do get racial bonuses to stats but I have yet to work out the progression on that. They are meant to be sneaky and wise, trying to stay out of combat and hiding their comunities if they can, hunting those that try to harm or destroy them. I have yet to make a weapon selection in part beause I'm unsure what weapons to give them besides ranged and finessable weapons. I don't want to give them all the finessable weapons there are, because most of them are exotic. I was thinking about Simple weapons, and mabe light armor, but no shields and Bows... but that doesn't keep very many finessable weapons open such as rapier, short sword, and tons of others... I could give them Swordtrained, but I think that again might be over the top...

Kamai
2014-11-25, 03:30 AM
I have yet to make a weapon selection in part beause I'm unsure what weapons to give them besides ranged and finessable weapons. I don't want to give them all the finessable weapons there are, because most of them are exotic. I was thinking about Simple weapons, and mabe light armor, but no shields and Bows... but that doesn't keep very many finessable weapons open such as rapier, short sword, and tons of others... I could give them Swordtrained, but I think that again might be over the top...

Taking on the proficiencies first, how about giving them the rogue list of proficiencies, and as a racial feature, let them treat a couple of exotic finessable weapons as martial weapons.

Now on some of the things I mentioned:
BAB + HD: I didn't realize that it was a monstrous humanoid, since you kept listing them as Humanoid. Monstrous Humanoid does dodge Person spells, so it's something you might want to keep in mind for early level power.
Alter Self is a full polymorph effect, not just changing minor aspects. As a Pathfinder race, I would template off of that rather than a general polymorph effect, though it should allow Monstrous Humanoids (but no traits outside of the Alter Self list). At somewhere between 5 and 8, then let them use this as Monstrous Physique X, scaling up in levels. Still a really powerful ability early. Still acts as close to the creature as polymorph effects let players.
If the energy drain is a must, do not let them do it at range at 1st level. Logically, this is no more bad than color spray, except being able to do it at archery range.
Fast Healing 1 (at a lot of tables) is an inappropriate ability for a 1st level character. Levels 1-3 have a big aspect about careful use of resources, and this gets around it. I'm not the biggest fan of it being Regeneration but not, but I'm not going to push against that. At this low level, I'd either put it as "When you rest for at least 8 hours, you gain the benefit of a full day's rest", or "Fast Healing does not function when you have more than 1/2 your hp". Either way, get rid of the limit by level 4 at the latest, when CLW wands really come online.
There's very few LA+0 races that start with more than +1 Natural Armor or +1 dodge to AC. It'd be fine if you took the level progression through, but with the next step being Fighter 1 (for free heavy armor proficiency), this could be too much frontloaded AC. As odd as this might sound, I'd consider making it an armor bonus of +5 (+1/3 HD). It lets you lean them towards wearing no armor, without becoming overbearing when they wear armor. While it would be weaker than Chain shirt + 3 NA, it scales nearly as fast.
I still think Multiarmed needs to be restricted at low level. While multi-weapon fighting is a single feat investment, there is no single 1st level feat that gives anybody the equivalent of 7 attacks.
You list feats every odd level. Is this supposed to represent the normal feats that a character gets, or do they get 2 feats when they'd normally get one?

You also need to further split some of this out if you intend this creature to be able to take class levels at 1st level (instead of monster class levels). As of right now, all they would get is Land Speed, and whatever stat bonuses you gave them.

In all of this, you should remember that neither your monster class nor a Gnome or Human Bard should feel weak sitting next to each other at equal levels. If you can accomplish that, you'll have a reasonably balanced monster class.

AOKost
2014-11-26, 12:22 AM
Thank you again for helping me with this race!

I'm sorry, I hadn't realized I never put "Monstrous" in the build... That is totally my fault and a complete oversight. My appologies.

Before I get started with furthering our discussion, I would like to throw this idea out there: What if this race were prevented from ever taking levels in any class other than its racial levels? This would prevent them from free dipping to gain benefits from any of a number of classes and also make someone think more heavily about wanting to play this race...

I think I understand what is described under Alter Self better having gone back and re-read the description better and that does indeed sound like a good fit. As much as I like the Monstrous Physique spells, I don't feel they are a right fit for this build...

I very much like your suggestion about the rogue weapon selection with a few finessable exotic weapons to boot... That would make a lot of sense, and I will try not to go overboard with those selections.

The Energy Drain as it is set up currently is a touch attack, not ranged, so I don't think that will be a problem. The Energy Drain as it is currently set up shall never be used as a ranged attack... That may change if the character gains the ability to add racial abilities to ranged attacks, but I don't foresee that happening. Though I could put in a line about it specifically not being able to be used as a ranged attack...

I like your suggestion about the Fast Healing at low levels... I will change it to something a little less powerful at lower levels, slowly gaining it's full benefits over time. I wanted the general fast healing ability, but I also wanted to be able to reattach severed appendages as well, and some times those are not retrievable, so I didn't want it to be a complete loss, hence the extremely slow recovery of lost body parts... I could easily extend the time it takes to regrow something though... How about something more along the lines of "Between 1 & 5 Racial HD the Miasa must either be below half their total HP, or must have had 8 hours of rest after recieving injuries before this ability becomes active. Between 5 & 10 this is reduced to 3/4 total HP and 4 Hours rest. At 10 HD they recover constantly at their full Fast Healing rate."

Natural Armor: Changlings have natural armor (albeit a minor +1), Merfolk (+2 Narural Armor), Nagaji (+1 Natural Armor), and many other races that are playable have natural armor, even if it's not the +3 that I propose. I've come across some races from Races of Faerun that have much higher, and races from other sources with higher as well, but most of them have level adjustments. I'm just trying to give examples of non-level adjustment races are out there. Considering that this Race/Class does not get armor proficiencies as it stands, I feel a +3 natural armor is agreeable. It's not +7 as I've seen 1 race, but at least it's something. The advancement of it isn't great, but it does advance. I will give consideration to lowering it though, especially if it's decided to give this race a proficiency with armor of some form. You are correct, this race could easily take dips in other classes such as Fighter, Cleric, or really anything to gain more proficiencies, but I doubt that they would...

Multiarmed: You are correct, although I don't see where you get 7 attacks from. Miasa only have 6 arms, but that is none the less a huge number of attacks if they take Multiweapon Fighting. That is offset by the penalties they take from even trying to do so. They do not get Multiweapon Mastery that Marilith or Xill to mention a few of many races get, but it is more than Kasatha by 2. There is the Half-Demon Kasatha variant that increases the CR by 1 of anyone that plays that template, but they also get a selection of spells, Multiweapon Mastery, and others that debatably outpower this race. Don't misunderstand me, I'm not trying to say this race is weak, but for all their powers, they are still not giants, titans, demons or other races that are much more powerful.

Feats: I'm sorry for the confusion about listing feats at all the odd levels, this was to indicate the normal feat they would gain at those odd levels. I did it more for myself as I was putting this race together. I will remove them.

The previously stated ability scores I shall reduce to include the "normal" racial bonuses for 1st level and include more racial bonuses in the racial advancement table...

The new table with the previously mentioned changes, and some dealing with the ability scores. I also changed the relevant variables in armor class, perception, skills, etc.

Female Miasa
CE Medium Monstrous Humanoid (Miasa)
Init +5; Senses Perception +10

DEFENSE
AC 20, touch 17, flat-footed 15 (+5 Dex, +3 Natural (+1 per 3 HD) +2 dodge)
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +7, Will +5
Defensive Training (+2 dodge bonus to AC)

OFFENSE
Speed: 40 ft., Climb 20 ft.
Melee: Touch attack +3 -2 levels energy drain (Fort DC 16) regular attack, Touch attack +6 -2 levels energy drain (Fort DC 16) with Weapon Finesse
Ranged: Mighty Composite Compound Ranged Dragonbone Greatbow +6 (1d10 + 2 20 x3 150 ft range)
Special: Energy Drain, Multiarmed, Web

STATISTICS
Str 14, Dex 20, Con 16, Int 16, Wis 18, Cha 15
Racial: Dex +2, Int +2, Wis +2, Str -2
Unmodified Stats: Str 16, Dex 18, Con 16, Int 14, Wis 16, Cha 15
Base Atk +1; CMB +1; CMD 18

Skills Acrobatics +9, Bluff +6, Diplomacy +6, Disguise +6, Perception +10, Sense Motive +8, Stealth +10, Survival +8 Racial Modifiers: +1 per HD to Stealth & Perception

SQ: Alter Self, Fast Healing*, Low-light Vision, Multi-Armed, Stalker

ECOLOGY
Environment any forest, underground, dungeon, mountainous other than cold
Treasure NPC gear (Greatbow [1], Rapier [2], Chainblade [2] other treasure)

ARMOR AND WEAPON PROFICIENCY
Miasa are proficient with all simple weapons as well as bows, crossbows, rapiers, scimitars, shortswords, chainblades, Elven thinblade, Elven lightblade, Elven Courtblade.

SPECIAL ABILITIES
Alter Self (Su) A Miasa has the ability to assume the appearance of humanoids and monstrous humanoids, but retains most of its own physical qualities. A Miasa cannot change shape to a form more than one size category smaller or larger than its original form. This ability functions as a polymorph spell. The Miasa does not adjust its ability scores and it does not gain any other abilities of the creature it mimics. It can remain in an alternate form indefinitely.

Climb (Ex): Members of this race have a climb speed of 20 feet, and gain the +8 racial bonus on Climb checks that a climb speed normally grants.

Expert Climber (Ex): Members of this race can cling to cave walls and even ceilings as long as the surface has hand- and footholds. In effect, members of this race are treated as being constantly under the effects of a non-magical spider climb spell, save that members of this race cannot cling to smooth surfaces. This trait doubles the normal +8 racial bonus on Climb checks normally granted to creatures with a climb speed (to a total +16 bonus).

Fast Healing (Ex) Miasa regains hit points at an exceptional rate, usually 1 or more hit points per round, as given in their entry. Except where noted here, fast healing is just like natural healing, but Miasa have the rare ability to reattach or even regrow lost body parts. Re-growing body parts takes 2d6 - Con Modifier days. Fast healing does not restore hit points lost from starvation, thirst, or suffocation. Fast healing continues to function (even at negative hit points) until a Miasa dies, at which point the effects of fast healing end immediately. Further, between 1 & 5 Racial HD the Miasa must either be below half their total HP, or must have had 8 hours of rest after receiving injuries before this ability becomes active. Between 5 & 10 this is reduced to 3/4 total HP and 4 Hours rest. At 10 HD they recover constantly at their full Fast Healing rate.

(NOTE: Web, Shape Change, Natural Armor bonus, Fast healing, and Energy Drain increase in daily uses, or potency/bonuses respectively. Those abilities with daily uses increase until they are usable at will. Natural Armor, Fast Healing increase at the set rate indefinitely. The Save DC for Energy Drain and Poison increase with level/HD.)

1 1d10 +1 +0 +2 +2 Web (4/day), Fast Healing 1, Climb, Alter Self (1/day), Energy Drain (3/day), Natural Armor (+3),
2 2d10 +2 +0 +3 +3 Web (6/day), Int +2
3 3d10 +3 +1 +3 +3 Natural Armor +4, Energy Drain (6/day), Dex +2
4 4d10 +4 +1 +4 +4 Expert Climber, Web (8/day), Alter Self (2/day), Wis +2
5 5d10 +5 +1 +4 +4 Fast Healing 2, Energy Drain (8/day)
6 6d10 +6 +2 +5 +5 Natural Armor +5, Web (at will), Dex +2
7 7d10 +7 +2 +5 +5 Alter Self (3/day), Energy Drain (at will)
8 8d10 +8 +2 +6 +6 Acquire Skill (1), Con +2
9 9d10 +9 +3 +6 +6 Natural Armor +6, Lore (2/day), Wis +2
10 10d10 +10 +3 +7 +7 Acquire Skill (2), Acquire Feat (1), Fast Healing 3, Alter Self (4/day)
11 11d10 +11 +3 +7 +7 Acquire Class Feature (1), Cha +2
13 13d10 +13 +4 +8 +8 Alter Self (at will), Str +2
15 15d10 +15 +5 +9 +9 Natural Armor +8, Lore (6/day), Fast Healing 4, Dex +2
16 16d10 +16 +5 +10 +10 Acquire Skill(5), Acquire Feat (4), Wis +2
17 17d10 +17 +5 +10 +10 Acquire Class Feature (3), Int +2
19 19d10 +19 +6 +11 +11 Con +2
21 21d10 +21 +7 +12 +12 Natural Armor +10, Lore (at will), Int +2
23 23d10 +23 +7 +13 +13 Acquire Class Feature (5), Cha +2
25 25d10 +25 +8 +14 +14 Fast Healing 6, Dex +2
27 27d10 +27 +9 +15 +15 Natural Armor +12, Int +2
29 29d10 +29 +9 +17 +17 Acquire Class Feature (7), Con +2
30 30d10 +30 +10 +17 +17 Natural Armor +13, Acquire Skill (12), Acquire Feat (11), Acquire Special Attack or Special Quality (5), Fast Healing 7,

AOKost
2014-11-26, 01:03 AM
I was rereading your suggestion about increasing their AC to 5 +1/3 HD as I missed it earlier, and I can see and would agree to that, even though it does seem a bit strong... but that does fall more in line with being a middle ground striker instead of a front-liner, especially if we decide to make the class not be able to take levels of any other class than racial. This would also allow them to relatively keep up with regular PCs for AC, at least somewhat.

For multiarmed, how about possibly fluffing it so that they have 6 arms, but 4 are not "strong" enough to wield weapons until later levels, then gain 2 of them, at 5 or so, and the last to at 10? something along those lines... I still feel that thier many arms will pose little advantage due to the massive attack penalties at early levels even with multiweapon fighitng, I would consider this. Let these other arms be able to perform tasks that do not require any real strength such as using potions, scrolls and the like, but not able to effectively wield weapons...

Kamai
2014-11-26, 10:50 AM
On some of the things that you noted:
If you want this to be a non-escapable class, I don't know if you should go the whole 30 levels with the base class then. At some point, it's a progression of stealing abilities and minor abilities that the base monster has, and that might not be as interesting to some people as being able to do their own thing. If you really wanted to restrict out the class, force them to take levels up to their intended CR (with a small bit of ability stealing), and then put a lot of the stealing abilities into a paragon class. The person who wants those abilities can go further, the high level person that wants some cleric can instead get some cleric. Although, honestly, looking at your progression as it is right now, 8th and 11th level seem like logical breakpoints.

The important thing about the 5 + 1/3 HD is that it's an armor bonus, not a natural armor bonus. For what a 1st level light armor character would look at, it comes out as the same as putting Studded Leather on a +2 NA creature, which with the dodge, is strong, but not absurd given you're giving up a class level too.

On Energy Drain, your old monster block showed it as applying to it's Greatbow. That is where the comment about range was coming from.

Fast Healing needs a duration after resting for it to apply. I would say it lasts for 5 minutes after resting?

I want some time to look at higher levels a bit later, but for now, I would suggest not necessarily putting all of these ability splits at 5/10, just to keep things spread out.

AOKost
2014-11-26, 11:53 PM
I'm still uncertain whether or not to block multiclassing due to the ability to gain abilities later on if they live that long. It's just something I'm thinking about though. I'm not sure if I like the idea of splitting the racial HD up into main race and paragon. That could be a solution though at 11... I'll keep thinking about it.

I don't see anywhere in the blocks posted that Energy Drain applied to ranged attacks, only melee.

I completely understand what you mean about the duration lasting a certain time limit after it starts, and will add a line to the description saying such.

I think if it's either 5 +1/3 HD armor that doesn't stack with armor, or a natural 3 +1/3HD then I'll stick with the 3 +1/3 HD. It's not that I don't like your suggestion, but considering to even use armor they would have to expend a feat to purchase the ability to use armor.

I didn't really make the bonuses to ability score stagared very well, but I wanted to give a good progression and bonuses (if small) to all of them. Dexterity, Wisdom, and Intelligence are the most important ability scores for Miasa. Hence why they have so many bonuses to those stats compared to any of the others. If you could give some suggestions on the bonus progression I'd appreciate it... I know it's already sporatic.