PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Possession and Demons/ Devils!

Jesse30
2014-11-21, 10:28 PM
Hello Friends! I'm back and hungry for answers!

So i'm in this awesome situation where I can get some demons/ Devils to possess me to grant me some profane bonus of +4 to a stat of my choice or it's choice I guess. (Reference page BOVD pg. 25)

I'm questioning how many I can have possess me and grant me this bonus. Is it just kinda based on how many I can convince to do this or what because I can't find anything on it.

As always, thanks for your awesomeness playground!

Jesse

Venger
2014-11-21, 10:33 PM
the possession rules were updated on page 21 of fiendish codex 1, so work slightly differently now.

there is no cap on how many guys you can have inside you at a time, but a DM will probably cap you at one for simplicity's sake, or you'll be forever rolling to see who decides to see what you do.

check out the fiendbinder handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=9712), since they have ways to make fiends listen to you so you won't get betrayed.

Jesse30
2014-11-21, 10:36 PM
the possession rules were updated on page 21 of fiendish codex 1, so work slightly differently now.

there is no cap on how many guys you can have inside you at a time, but a DM will probably cap you at one for simplicity's sake, or you'll be forever rolling to see who decides to see what you do.

check out the fiendbinder handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=9712), since they have ways to make fiends listen to you so you won't get betrayed.

Yey! You're my favorite! So say I had 10 possessing me, could I just keep staking the +4 on a stat to no limit? A simple thought experiment of course..

Jesse

Venger
2014-11-21, 10:40 PM
Yey! You're my favorite! So say I had 10 possessing me, could I just keep staking the +4 on a stat to no limit? A simple thought experiment of course..

Jesse

No. the bonus type is "profane," so in a situation where you have multiple bonuses of the same type, only the highest applies, so a 4 and a 4 mean you get +4, not +8. the only exception to this rule is dodge bonuses, which always stack, and untyped (which obviously aren't of the same type since they lack a type)

Jesse30
2014-11-21, 10:44 PM
No. the bonus type is "profane," so in a situation where you have multiple bonuses of the same type, only the highest applies, so a 4 and a 4 mean you get +4, not +8. the only exception to this rule is dodge bonuses, which always stack, and untyped (which obviously aren't of the same type since they lack a type)

Interesting, i'm glad that got cleared up, I can see why that is a rule now too haha.

Edit* Ok so a transformer possession, do these abilities stack, as in, could I get multiple body augments from multiple possessions?

It says here on page 25 of the FC that they can imbue parts of the body with bonuses. Are these also considered profane?

Venger
2014-11-21, 10:59 PM
the bonus types are still profane. if they apply to different things, there's obviously no conflict, so if for example you had demon arms for a str bonus, you could also have a demon torso for a NA bonus. since the profane bonuses are applying to different things, they don't overlap with one another. make sense?

Jesse30
2014-11-21, 11:04 PM
the bonus types are still profane. if they apply to different things, there's obviously no conflict, so if for example you had demon arms for a str bonus, you could also have a demon torso for a NA bonus. since the profane bonuses are applying to different things, they don't overlap with one another. make sense?

I just want to make sure, does it say the bonus is profane, or is that just like inferred? I'm going to be honest I didn't read the entire page, just skimmed over what seemed like a benefit from this whole ordeal.

Also Venger thanks a lot for the help, I actually have been reading that codex guide you posted previously and I am using some of the shenanigans in there.

Jesse

Crake
2014-11-21, 11:06 PM
Interesting, i'm glad that got cleared up, I can see why that is a rule now too haha.

Edit* Ok so a transformer possession, do these abilities stack, as in, could I get multiple body augments from multiple possessions?

It says here on page 25 of the FC that they can imbue parts of the body with bonuses. Are these also considered profane?

The transformation leads to the fiend completely taking you over, so that's not a route you want to take. Once the transformation process begins, it doesn't stop until it's completely finished, at which point your body quite literally becomes that of the demon possessing you, and you're then trapped inside their body.

Jesse30
2014-11-21, 11:07 PM
The transformation leads to the fiend completely taking you over, so that's not a route you want to take. Once the transformation process begins, it doesn't stop until it's completely finished, at which point your body quite literally becomes that of the demon possessing you, and you're then trapped inside their body.

This is quite true, but IF I control the possessor previously, then I don't think that matters. Right? I could be wrong here, but I figured that's how it would work.

Venger
2014-11-21, 11:20 PM
This is quite true, but IF I control the possessor previously, then I don't think that matters. Right? I could be wrong here, but I figured that's how it would work.

if it's under your control, then you could instruct him not to transform any of your body parts, because once he's got all 4, then he turns into whatever his normal form is (babau or whatever, for example) and you're inside him as a rider, so any means of control you had is not gonna be able to be renewed since you lose access to your own powers. probably not a great idea.

Jesse30
2014-11-21, 11:28 PM
if it's under your control, then you could instruct him not to transform any of your body parts, because once he's got all 4, then he turns into whatever his normal form is (babau or whatever, for example) and you're inside him as a rider, so any means of control you had is not gonna be able to be renewed since you lose access to your own powers. probably not a great idea.

What If I'm using mother cyst?

Venger
2014-11-21, 11:34 PM
What If I'm using mother cyst?

It's permanent, so can be dispelled. Once that happens and you're just a hitchhiker in the demon's body, it's game over.

Jesse30
2014-11-21, 11:50 PM
It's permanent, so can be dispelled. Once that happens and you're just a hitchhiker in the demon's body, it's game over.

Alright I think I see what you are saying, but just to clarify. Even though, it's inside me, in an incorporeal form or something of that manner, it can be affected by a dispel? And if that is the case, the only thing I need to worry about at that point is a dispel?

Thanks again, this is really helpful!

Jesse

Venger
2014-11-21, 11:57 PM
Alright I think I see what you are saying, but just to clarify. Even though, it's inside me, in an incorporeal form or something of that manner, it can be affected by a dispel? And if that is the case, the only thing I need to worry about at that point is a dispel?

Thanks again, this is really helpful!

Jesse

An area dispel would work since he's still in the affected area. all it'd need to do is overcome the DC for necrotic tumor.

Jesse30
2014-11-22, 12:09 AM
An area dispel would work since he's still in the affected area. all it'd need to do is overcome the DC for necrotic tumor.

Hmm, interesting! So the DC check against the spell would be 11+7 ( 7 being the spells caster level)

Also what if I had like a counter spell ring versus area dispel, would I be fine?

Edit* I just realized that the counter spell ring has only one charge, Could I craft a new ring with more charges, to make that a worth while tactic?

I hope i'm not acting too desperate haha.

Jesse

Venger
2014-11-22, 12:22 AM
Hmm, interesting! So the DC check against the spell would be 11+7 ( 7 being the spells caster level)

Also what if I had like a counter spell ring versus area dispel, would I be fine?

Edit* I just realized that the counter spell ring has only one charge, Could I craft a new ring with more charges, to make that a worth while tactic?

I hope i'm not acting too desperate haha.

Jesse

That is correct. The DC would be 18

Ring of counterspelling with dispel magic in there will knock off dispel magic if someone slings it at you. you don't need to specify which of DM's 3 functions it dispels. any of them will trigger it properly. beware, though, it won't work against greater dispel magic (or vice versa)

ring of counterspelling doesn't have "charges." you pop a spell in there each time. you could ask your DM if he'd let you have one that holds more than one spell if you paid more money. check the srd for how to make your own items. or you could wear more than one of them. one on each hand and then a hand of glory for an extra ring slot

it's cool. that's what the forum's here for.

Jesse30
2014-11-22, 12:27 AM
That is correct. The DC would be 18

Ring of counterspelling with dispel magic in there will knock off dispel magic if someone slings it at you. you don't need to specify which of DM's 3 functions it dispels. any of them will trigger it properly. beware, though, it won't work against greater dispel magic (or vice versa)

ring of counterspelling doesn't have "charges." you pop a spell in there each time. you could ask your DM if he'd let you have one that holds more than one spell if you paid more money. check the srd for how to make your own items. or you could wear more than one of them. one on each hand and then a hand of glory for an extra ring slot

it's cool. that's what the forum's here for.

Haha great, I was afraid my constant rebuttals might be annoying.

So just to clarify, A ring of counter spelling with dispel would work versus a dispel, but not greater dispel, and a ring with greater dispel wouldn't work versus a regular dispel?

Jesse

Venger
2014-11-22, 12:40 AM
Haha great, I was afraid my constant rebuttals might be annoying.

So just to clarify, A ring of counter spelling with dispel would work versus a dispel, but not greater dispel, and a ring with greater dispel wouldn't work versus a regular dispel?

Jesse

No, it's fine. It's how we figure out holes and weaknesses in our build to patch.

Correct. Counterspells can only counterspell the exact same spell, not any other spell, no matter how similar they are. Lesser orb of acid can't counterspell orb of acid. GDM can't counterspell DM, etc.

Jesse30
2014-11-22, 12:55 AM
No, it's fine. It's how we figure out holes and weaknesses in our build to patch.

Correct. Counterspells can only counterspell the exact same spell, not any other spell, no matter how similar they are. Lesser orb of acid can't counterspell orb of acid. GDM can't counterspell DM, etc.

Awesome, I really do love this place. I only just started posting here and it's great.

So if I had two rings one with dispel and one with greater dispel. I would be good? I was reading up on ring forging and I can make rings with 50 charges and such of a spell or even permanent i'm pretty sure, i'd have to look again.

Jesse

Venger
2014-11-22, 01:05 AM
Awesome, I really do love this place. I only just started posting here and it's great.

So if I had two rings one with dispel and one with greater dispel. I would be good? I was reading up on ring forging and I can make rings with 50 charges and such of a spell or even permanent i'm pretty sure, i'd have to look again.

Jesse

Great.

Well, that'd be good for one of each.

If you want something with charges, like a ring of the ram, that'd work. That way you'd be covered if you had more than one dispel attempt before you had a chance to recharge it.

Jesse30
2014-11-22, 01:13 AM
Great.

Well, that'd be good for one of each.

If you want something with charges, like a ring of the ram, that'd work. That way you'd be covered if you had more than one dispel attempt before you had a chance to recharge it.

Awesome.

SO, after a trail of trial and error, if say 10 demons possess me, I previously have them under a bind and then a tumor, If I go down the trail of transformation, forgoing my resists and taking new form, I should be fine as long as I continue to prevent the tumors effect from going away right? Also what if I have so many transforming me that one single entity couldn't take over all because there is nothing for a single one to take, as in each one I have possessing only has room for one body part to take.

Does that make sense?

Jesse